Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like Kyiv is going to be the new Kabul for when Boris wants to duck an awkward event lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Looks like Kyiv is going to be the new Kabul for when Boris wants to duck an awkward event lol.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
loving keith :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

why does it look like a minion

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

loving keith :mad:

Why the angry face? Did he prove you wrong?

crispix posted:

i don't think there's anything boring about man holes :confused:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Some people in work were complaining that, because of the rail worker strike, we'll be losing at least two days work, probably more and so won't get paid. These people are fighting for better pay and conditions, frankly my coworkers and I should be there with them. I never put too much stock in the old "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times" quote but I'm beginning to think it's real. Hard men and women lost their lives in protests to help give us rights and it's turned so many of us into soft idiots that worry more about enriching the elites through our own hard work than getting a fair shake. In these times when cost of living is making it tough for so many you'd think they'd be more receptive.

Also this guy can gently caress off:

MP Nick Fletcher schools letter says trans 'nothing more than a phase'

quote:

A Conservative MP has sent a letter describing children's gender identity doubts as "nothing more than a phase" to every school in his constituency.

Nick Fletcher, MP for Don Valley, South Yorkshire, said he wanted to "clearly set out his position" on the issue and asked head teachers to do the same.

His letter states that "boys are boys and girls are girls", and the media glamorises a "transgender lifestyle".

loving prick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure if I write letters to the school talking about the children I get put on a watch list, if nick fletcher does it he's a member of parliament.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1537390644301160448?s=20&t=1MQTDGgGRAD_45Os5RH8gA

This is mostly saying stuff that people in this thread already know, but it's still interesting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I were a Conservative MP, I would simply not write a letter concerning myself with children's sex hormones to every single school.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Also this guy can gently caress off:

MP Nick Fletcher schools letter says trans 'nothing more than a phase'

quote:

A Conservative MP has sent a letter describing children's gender identity doubts as "nothing more than a phase" to every school in his constituency.

Nick Fletcher, MP for Don Valley, South Yorkshire, said he wanted to "clearly set out his position" on the issue and asked head teachers to do the same.

His letter states that "boys are boys and girls are girls", and the media glamorises a "transgender lifestyle".

Yes, if there's one thing that I always think about the way the British media treats trans people and their lives it's that they always make it seem really glamourous and aspirational.

bessantj posted:

loving prick.

:hai:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lool if boris's ukraine trips become too predictable and he gets captured by lukashenko's henchmen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd make Elsimar Coutinho's Is menstruation obsolete? mandatory reading in school sex ed just annoy that prick and his weird obsession with not knowing how gender or puberty or anything else works.

Also make all BBC characters women, even the bad ones like Jimmy Savile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

lool if boris's ukraine trips become too predictable and he gets captured by lukashenko's henchmen

Why would they want him any more than anyone else does?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

Will Rwanda send people to the UK in return?
Yes. Under the deal, the UK will resettle "a portion of" Rwanda's most vulnerable refugees in Britain in a ‘reciprocal’ agreement.

No10 was unable to say whether that could mean more asylum seekers will end up coming from Rwanda to the UK than the other way round.

Source https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uk-rwanda-asylum-seekers-policy-27230201

I wasn't aware of this reciprocal arrangement until my brother's partner pointed it out to me!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Source https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uk-rwanda-asylum-seekers-policy-27230201

I wasn't aware of this reciprocal arrangement until my brother's partner pointed it out to me!

lol, if they were smart Rwanda would just shove everyone we send them back to us, possibly getting endlessly paid for the same 7 guys flying back and forth. They'll make a mint in airmiles.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Darth Walrus posted:

Why would they want him any more than anyone else does?

good eatin'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol, if they were smart Rwanda would just shove everyone we send them back to us, possibly getting endlessly paid for the same 7 guys flying back and forth. They'll make a mint in airmiles.
It's fine though, you see the prince of Rwanda emailed Boris personally to say they can take millions of asylum seekers in, he just needs England to take a few of theirs first and then he will be able to access his immigration system and pay him back tenfold.

Also each asylum seeker needs to be carrying £2500 in apple gift cards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rwanda has cricket in schools now, which is indicative of a 'Commonwealth mindset', so regardless of what the isolationist Brexit press might want Johnson is far more than happy to shitcan international law and the entire Human Rights Act to gain some additional Southeast African spin bowlers.

(Which tbf will be a material improvement for those fortunate pacemen, but as a part of transpiring his empire delusions? :vomarine:)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A commonwealth mindset in this instance I assume means tormenting children by inflicting cricket on them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A commonwealth mindset in this instance I assume means tormenting children by inflicting cricket on them.

I grew up on baseball and turned out, uhh, well I turned out, how much worse can Cricket be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We play baseball too, it's called rounders and you play it with a miniature bat.

Cricket is like baseball except you only have two bases and you run backwards and forwards and also the bat is much heavier so you have to do a weird swing with it. Not that it stopped me trying to use it like a baseball bat when I played in school. You rarely hit anything but when you do there's gently caress all the fielders can do about it.

Oh also the ball is much harder and heavier which is another reason why I advocate for the baseball swing because it puts the fear of god into everybody if you land it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

We play baseball too, it's called rounders and you play it with a miniature bat.

Cricket is like baseball except you only have two bases and you run backwards and forwards and also the bat is much heavier so you have to do a weird swing with it. Not that it stopped me trying to use it like a baseball bat when I played in school. You rarely hit anything but when you do there's gently caress all the fielders can do about it.

Oh also the ball is much harder and heavier which is another reason why I advocate for the baseball swing because it puts the fear of god into everybody if you land it.

This reminds me, what's the country with the really insane baseball spinoff with a rectangular field where you run the bases in an X or Z pattern? Finland I think it was? I remember being initially repulsed at it but then I thought about it more and figured it'd probably be pretty fun to watch.

I think my main issue with Cricket is how long it takes. It's really something when baseball can be described as a faster paced alternative to anything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Full disclaimer I don't actually know how cricket, baseball, or rounders work other than what I half remember from school. About the only sport I can remember how it works more or less is football because "kick ball through opposing goal" is probably the simplest sport out there outside of horseshoes.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Epic High Five posted:

I think my main issue with Cricket is how long it takes. It's really something when baseball can be described as a faster paced alternative to anything

But that's the good thing about cricket. It enables you to get properly drunk.

edit: have you seen the cup snakes

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

They do have a variant called T20 which takes a couple of hours and mostly consists of batters just absolutely twatting the ball.

But yeah test cricket is really just an excuse to spend the week drinking in the sunshine.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
My colleague whose experience in Daily Mail studies exceeds mine ensures me that yes, it's worth it to go to all these efforts to send albanians to rwanda, because then people will be Deterred from crossing the channel to come Over Here

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Epic High Five posted:

This reminds me, what's the country with the really insane baseball spinoff with a rectangular field where you run the bases in an X or Z pattern? Finland I think it was? I remember being initially repulsed at it but then I thought about it more and figured it'd probably be pretty fun to watch.

Finland. That field type was partially because the dude who modified baseball here thought that a field like that would be easier to setup on Finnish farming fields which due to farming reasons tended to be of that shape, the US style extended triangle thing would have been inconvenient.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Terrible pêl-fas erasure itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0T6bK17qBU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is anyone itt a Chromecast wizard?

Almost every device in my house (three laptops, my partner's phone) is able to cast to our TV (via a Chromecast dongle thingy) but my phone is not. It can't see the Chromecast as an option when you hit the cast button in any app, and the option isn't there at all in the Chrome browser. Both phones are Android, only possible wrinkle I can see is that mine is newer than the Chromecast while everything else was already in the house when we first set it up. Massive pita though. It won't even show up if I try to set it up in the Google Home app from scratch. On the same network, Bluetooth on, doing everything by the book.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Most chromecast/google home/nest issues I've found a generally fixed by a router or wifi restart

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

I used to play Welsh baseball in school. It was extremely localised to mostly the Catholic* communities of Cardiff, up the Rhondda a bit , Newport, and Liverpool. There used to be an annual Wales v England international every year that used to get decent crowds. As far as I was aware the game is basically on life support now.

*No segregation as far as I was aware, I think a lot of the teams were set up by/associated with churches.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gambrinus posted:

I used to play Welsh baseball in school.

Has to be a euphemism.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

The Northern Research Group wtf, are the Tories researching Northerners?

I think it's composed of the 'red wall' Tories who first got in in 2019. So, basically, they're researching how to keep Midlands gammons happy so they can keep their seats in the next election. Not a shock they don't realise the Midlands isn't 'the North'.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gambrinus posted:

As far as I was aware the game is basically on life support now.
Yeah there were some attempts to get more communities involved pre-pandemic but I don't know about now.

Maybe they should hook up with the shinty folks and do a GAA type association of promoting Celtic stick waving sports outside of their traditional areas.

feedmegin posted:

Not a shock they don't realise the Midlands isn't 'the North'.
There's a North Midlands which is culturally more north than south but it hasn't really been a thing since the 50s so of course tories act like it still is.

The Five Burghs voted to LEAVE the Danelaw, respect are voice.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I know Watford gap services is the standard measurement but imo Nottingham is as far south as you can go and still be north

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the sex ghost posted:

I know Watford gap services is the standard measurement but imo Nottingham is as far south as you can go and still be north

I just had to check this out on a map - but are there really people out there saying Birmingham is northern? That seems mental to me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Personally I'd draw a line between the mouth of the Mersey and the mouth of the Humber and call everything above that The North, and do the same for the Avon and Nene and call everything below it The South, and the zone between it is the Midlands and also the forbidden zone of endless 'where the north south divide really is' takes.

Materially anywhere with a coalfield does have a partial claim to northernness though.

Except Kent, they know what they did.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I always heard the north ends at Stoke, and the Midlands end just before Cambridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All Midlands towns are to be put into a north-south draft to be claimed by either side by public vote. Just as soon as we can agree on where the Midlands is