Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's not likely, every previous Demiurge we have encountered has had a reasonable and correct understanding of the universe and their place within it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

7c Nickel posted:

A deterministic universe where the future is knowable and unchangeable is just something that actively infuriates me.

It would devolve into stupid "I know what you're going to say in 5 seconds but I don't tell you because I don't tell you".

Predetermination is real and Calvin Jadis was right. Topic Locked.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

pseudorandom name posted:

That's not likely, every previous Demiurge we have encountered has had a reasonable and correct understanding of the universe and their place within it.

true. heck

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pinnacles of correct decision-making these demiurges are.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When you are the immortal embodiment of Sloth and also a ludicrously powerful wizard, nobody is going to convince you to try doing something out of step with the future you have viewed with perfect clarity, just to see what happens. That wouldn't be very slothful.

But maybe in order to act against the march of future history, Allison must first know it. She's going to put herself in the universe machine. :ohdear:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

A deterministic universe where the future is knowable and unchangeable is just something that actively infuriates me.

It's supposed to, that's why the character is doing it.

quote:

It would devolve into stupid "I know what you're going to say in 5 seconds but I don't tell you because I don't tell you".

That's literally what she's doing and why you're supposed to dislike her lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey i'm beginning to think these demiurges are kind of hosed up and stupid!!!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's supposed to, that's why the character is doing it.

I guess I've run into too many stories that do this and then go, "This is deep right? Really makes you think?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

now this is getting into some deep lore speculation. i've been watching a lot of elden ring videos lately so to get in the right mindset I'mma need you to bang on a piano randomly while you read this

so hear me out this is just a theory, but

but

i think there are some subtle clues scattered throughout the entire run of the comic up until this point that the author agrees with you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TBH it would be very funny if the universe was in fact deterministic and knowable except for furious dumbasses.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

7c Nickel posted:

I guess I've run into too many stories that do this and then go, "This is deep right? Really makes you think?"

if I had to guess I think you're about to run into a story that goes "absolutely gently caress that" and then there's magic punches

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The fundament of this entire comic has been presenting cliche hero narratives and then splintering them over its knee

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

TBH it would be very funny if the universe was in fact deterministic and knowable except for furious dumbasses.

Ah, another Kingdoms of Amalur fan.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
nah im pretty sure this is the moment k6bd jumps a shark

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

and/or feel sorry for her--part of the point is that actually knowing the future fucks you up too much to do anything about it. Jadis probably can't hold it together long enough to go through with the "tell me what I am going to say next" experiment, except in situations where there's a clear answer that is true.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Me, reading a story about people doing the impossible: "Ah, clearly they can't do that, for it's impossible."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Allison is 100% going to punch determinism in the nuts. The only real question is what the journey to that nut punch will be.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Just think. Within that amber speck of reality, every one of our poo poo posts are woven. Every furious dumbass kungfuing their keyboard. Every reference to Discworld. All the slamming Salmon Salami daves. A beautiful tapestry of interlocking realities.

Our speck on the tapestry is where hot sauce got spilled on it one time and we can't get it fully out. Guests don't notice the blemish but we do. It always haunts us.

Anyways I like Jadis. She's a cool nihilist demigod with a wan smile.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

time to be the change you want to see in the world, Allison

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

7c Nickel posted:

The comic is presenting this view, not endorsing it. What will most likely follow is a deconstruction and rebuttal of Jadis' stance via furious dumbassery. The demiurges have been presented as flawed individuals who are ultimately taken down by the actions of others.

Did you not see Salami Dave get absolutely philosophically owned by White Chain and Allison in the last book?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

The comic is presenting this view, not endorsing it. What will most likely follow is a deconstruction and rebuttal of Jadis' stance via furious dumbassery. The demiurges have been presented as flawed individuals who are ultimately taken down by the actions of others.

Did you not see Salami Dave get absolutely philosophically owned by White Chain and Allison in the last book?

Every single Demiurge we've seen has forged a prison for themselves in some way or other. Solomon David had the Empire he couldn't give up. Mammon had the Count. Mottom feared her age, never realizing she probably had full control over it given what we see her do at the end. And now Jadis is firmly frozen by inaction, believing all reality is fixed and therefore pointless.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

hey i'm beginning to think these demiurges are kind of hosed up and stupid!!!

Man now I don't even know if I like demiurges.

I got to take stock.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The great irony here is that, as a published story, KSBD is factually deterministic.

The greater irony is that, at this point in the story, anything could happen.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Grandpa Dragon was totally cool, though.

I mean okay, yeah, there was the whole thing where he killed all of his friends, families, their friends, and their families, but that's really kind of tame compared to, say, establishing an intergalactic authoritarian empire or turning billions of people into worms.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

oobey posted:

I mean okay, yeah, there was the whole thing where he killed all of his friends, families, their friends, and their families, but that's really kind of tame compared to, say, establishing an intergalactic authoritarian empire or turning billions of people into worms.

I'm still mad he got brutally murdered.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He totally deserved it though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every single Demiurge we've seen has forged a prison for themselves in some way or other.

As demiurges are wont to do.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

oobey posted:

Nobody who runs a bank is cool.

If he'd ran Throne's biggest building society I might of mourned him

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Grandpa Dragon died metal as gently caress. Let us all aspire to such heights.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

oobey posted:

P sure running the interdimensional central bank is worse than both of those

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

feel like we are glossing over the huge asterix that she can't see inside her own mind

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Grandpa Dragon very much did establish an intergalactic authoritarian empire, his banker theocracy laid claim to a seventh of creation

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Potato Salad posted:

feel like we are glossing over the huge asterix that she can't see inside her own mind

Which is probably because she ironically has the freedom to do whatever she wants. She's just so focused on trying to resolve the image that she expects to be there, that she hasn't stopped to consider the implications of it being fuzzy.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Potato Salad posted:

theres no inside her own mind left to see, she got grafted onto the wheel

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the phrase "scoured her mind" has come up previously with respect to what seeing eternity did to her.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ThaumPenguin posted:

Grandpa Dragon very much did establish an intergalactic authoritarian empire, his banker theocracy laid claim to a seventh of creation

It's pretty explicitly laid out how terrible they are:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Grandpa Dragon died metal as gently caress. Let us all aspire to such heights.

Having someone unleash a god-slaying technique and subsequently powerbombing my head to the earth and bathing in my blood and essence is definitely on my top 10 list of ways to die.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the phrase "scoured her mind" has come up previously with respect to what seeing eternity did to her.

yeah, like her "mind" is just a snapshot of reality now. shes not okay and she cant see past the current universe

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so the fabulous bearer of the word mind thinks nothing matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hot drat what a lovely reminder that forming exists, time to see if it's still going

edit: last update november 18th 2021 :smith:

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 17, 2022