Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It's really only a matter of time before Ultra Mythic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Buddy let me tell you about a lil thing called neon ink hidetsugu

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Magic gacha game since the mmo didn't work out. Roll for the ultra ssr summer liliana.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dysgenesis posted:

The most inexplicable omission would be the allied fetches.

Also pls reprint doubling season and anointed procession for my edh deck.

Anointed procession and parallel lives being $$$ makes me laugh

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modern is good

Modern is bad because bw tokens is dead

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Delete mythics and print fewer cards ina set

:hmmyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modern is good

Modern sucks poo poo from a bendy straw, it hasn't been good since before MH1

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The Shortest Path posted:

It’s fun, currently

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Time posted:

It’s fun, currently

with one, glaring, 80 card, exception.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time posted:

It’s fun, currently

This

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

flatluigi posted:

limited is real fun and they should keep keeping limited in mind when they make sets. i'm almost definitely never getting into mtgo but being able to play limited there is like my #1 reason why i would

imo i'd check out some LGSes near you both to see if you can find a good one and to see if they have a bunch of cheapo cards you can buy in bulk

Completely agree with you here but I'm not loving playing a 15 dollar a pack set limited. The Modern Masters sets have usually been a fun limited environment but DM isn't a playable format really.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 17, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is it 45 dollars to draft the set on MTGO too

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it 45 dollars to draft the set on MTGO too

2XM was 25 tickets to draft. You could also phantom draft for 10 tickets where you get one half of an entry fee back for each win (3 rounds).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Modern is bad because bw tokens is dead

It was never alive to begin with, my dude

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

How to tell us you're an ad naus player, without telling us you're an ad naus player.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

How to tell us you're an ad naus player, without telling us you're an ad naus player.

Ad naus wasn't even a deck when I stopped playing modern in disgust at what it had become.

Bring back opal and faithless looting.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bring baack the gaak

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kalel posted:

bring baack the gaak

No.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This was really funny, especially box three:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqYl4g9eD2Y

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yikes, lol. They really had fun with the music selection, though.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Oh, those bad boxes were my experience. Two cheap mythics, two dud cards from the list, a handful of rares barely worth a dollar, two displacer kittens the only thing of any value whatsoever.

Of course boxes are always a gamble, you can hit poo poo all in a Masters box, whiff on all the mythics in an expensive collector booster box, but this was something else. I suppose I’ll have to buy more boxes of Double Masters 2022 to make up for it, I think that is science.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Amazon just fire sold AFR, MDH and VOW Collector Boxes for $120 and even then the general consensus was 'you'll lose money'.
forgot to post this reply before, but: I'm not saying to buy and crack, I'm saying to hold onto for later. Even the worst trash like dragon's maze is worth something nowadays, and midnight hunt as much as people rag on it is no dragon's maze.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

meanwhile, baldur's gate is looking to be dragon's maze 2.0 because they insisted on putting things that should have been in this set in quad masters instead

Was literally coming here to post that video for that third box, holy moly what an insane box to open

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I got like seventy bucks in value out if my set booster box, and I'm pleased because of the amount of useful stuff i got (that would have been cheaper if singles were bought ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).
I got the ancient silver dragon, the rg land, the myriad angel, and a decent list card (baral).

needless to say I'm not getting more.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1537852597213794305

Bouncelands at uncommon. borderless art is pretty.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't buy boxes either to crack them or to speculate on them for the future

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

don't buy boxes

:hai:

(unless you're drafting with friends then it's cool to buy a box and have everyone chip in like $9 or whatever it works out to)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

the furnace thing in the boiler works art kind of looks like a face lol

mfw I spend five hundred bucks on Commander Legends: Baldur's Gate boxes and open thirty dollars worth of references to old videogames nobody cares about anymore

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 17, 2022

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

flatluigi posted:

don't buy boxes either to crack them or to speculate on them for the future

Let people enjoy their toys and hobbies, as long as its not hurting others.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TacoNight posted:

You know flatluigi has literally zero power to stop anyone here from doing anything, theyre allowed to have opinions you dont like

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TacoNight posted:

You can do this while also better informing people of what they are buying.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I want people to enjoy themselves, that's why I'm telling people to stop turning their hobby into something for pure gambling instead of playing it. buy singles for constructed and play limited if you want to open packs so that you get something out of it other than the resale value of the cards.

like, people keep casually posting about buying and opening several boxes and not getting anything they want so they'll have to try again in the future, while posting youtubes of someone else opening boxes and talking about how disappointing it is. the solution isn't 'complain until wizards suddenly guarantees good stuff from every box' it's 'realize that you're having a bad experience and go a different route'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

THREAD RULES AND GUIDELINES
Cracking Packs Is Stupid: You will almost always pay more for a pack of cards, than the cards inside sell for individually. If you're playing a constructed format, you'll save money by buying singletons. That said, some people really like opening packs, and it is officially OK for them to post about it. It's a form of gambling, or just a fun surprise, whatever. Please do not poo poo all over people who choose to crack packs, and post about it. If someone claims they know this one weird trick to making money by cracking packs, they're probably getting ahold of packs at way below retail prices, or cracking packs that are from some very limited or out of print edition... or trying to get you to buy in to a scam. If you or someone you know may have a gambling problem, please check the resources in this thread over in the Poker forum, they're fantastic.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what a bizarre thing to make a thread rule about. are you warning me to stop being negative about it or what

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

flatluigi posted:

what a bizarre thing to make a thread rule about. are you warning me to stop being negative about it or what

It is a rule because it is a boring discussion that comes up again and again and again and again and again and again...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

flatluigi posted:

Stop being weird about people opening packs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

The quoted section of the OP summarizes why cracking packs is a money-losing proposition, and beyond that, the complaints about people excited about opening packs of magic cards are categorically worse than the posts about cracking packs. People cracking packs isn't ever going to go away, and this thread needs to not be hostile to the huge percentage of the magic: the gathering hobbyists who like to crack packs and then talk about it. The complaints almost always just start that old "debate" up again which sucks.

E. this isn't just for you, flatluigi. I like that magic youtube guy to a degree, but a video of him showing yet again that cracking packs is money-losing, while funny, also seems to just be aimed at posters cracking packs. We don't need to restart that debate via posting videos either.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
w/e, I said what I wanted to say. I still think a dedicated mtg finances thread would be a better fit so that conversations about sets don't get overwhelmed by discussion of just their estimated resale value, but if that's genuinely what people care the most about then shrug

edit: this was before Leperflesh responded

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just think of all that lost draft value

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

w/e, I said what I wanted to say. I still think a dedicated mtg finances thread would be a better fit so that conversations about sets don't get overwhelmed by discussion of just their estimated resale value, but if that's genuinely what people care the most about then shrug

edit: this was before Leperflesh responded

I'm sympathetic, that's why I didn't just drop in swinging around the probation stick. The rule is what it is, sorry. :shrug:

If you have an idea for another thread in TG, I'd encourage you to post it! We don't get enough new threads. It'll live or die, and either way is OK.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i have no mouth but i must crack packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sometimes it's fun to spend money on dumb poo poo.