Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
An early set at a trans charity event sounds like the best possible first gig! As said you'll be fine, they wouldn't have asked you if you didn't already have what it takes.

The jitters are just pre-emptive excitement. Be chill, let drat fine grooves do their work. Have a good set, comrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Part of it is I haven't made a setlist before, when I stream it's all improvisational just looking at what Rekordbox says is in key and I use sync liberally because I don't trust the pitch faders on my DDJ-RB for poo poo.

One question I have is what will you be playing on? Some joints can be dicks about you rolling with your own kit to plug in and will have their own setup ready to go. Might be worth asking about that!

That said, obviously don't start the night with banger after banger but I feel you can play more fun poo poo for that last 45 before you tag out for the night. Enjoy. Expect requests. Probably bad ones that don't fit the vibe. :v:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

beeaar posted:

I was going to get a DDJ-400 but snoozed and now it's sold out on Amazon and on their official website. What's the best place for me to look for one? Can I trust ebay?

Seconding Guitar Center. You can literally call them up at any time of the day or night and put yourself on a backorder list for anything that you might want to pick up that isn't available. If they do have a used item somewhere, you can put it on layaway and wait to see if shipping delays push your new item arrival back. Their employees really did go above and beyond for me to help me find what I needed. One of them was even texting me pictures from her personal cell phone of the used controller they got in that I wanted.

I recently did this with a DDJ 800. I put myself on the back order list, kept searching around on Guitar center's website every day until I found a used one, and I put it on layaway for a little while until the most recent "in stock" date, which got pushed back again. So I said gently caress it, send me the used one, which they did and then they just took the pending charge off of my credit card for the new one.

Got it for $814 two day shipping. Every other website I searched online for this drat thing either had it as out of stock, or we're selling it for at the bare minimum of $1,500.

What's the go-to record pool these days? I've been seeing a lot of stuff about zip DJ and tidal, but I have no experience with anything beyond beatport.

I mainly spin house, tech house, DnB.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

What's the go-to record pool these days? I've been seeing a lot of stuff about zip DJ and tidal, but I have no experience with anything beyond beatport.

I mainly spin house, tech house, DnB.

DJCity , I don't think you'll have any luck with pools specifically for those genres though there's an occasional house remix.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Rekordbox question: Any way to drop the key to a decimal point, like not a whole number? IE: 3.15

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Being that keys are discrete intervals I would think not.

Joke answer: yes, just turn off master tempo

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Ok, I already have it off... What now? It still won't let me change it to anything other than a whole number... Even with the key being adjusted by the tempo it only shows me full numbers.

I know it's possible in theory because I've done it in Torq before, I'm just not sure if the functionality is there in Rekordbox for this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Like VV says, keys are integers. Each number is a semitone transposition up or down. What are you trying to do?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Key transpose is not the same thing as pitch shifting

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

vanilla slimfast posted:

Key transpose is not the same thing as pitch shifting

Shifting all the notes in a song up or down by a semitone is transposition. But yeah you're correct that it's independent of time, unlike free-balling it without 'master tempo' (gently caress why does Pioneer call it that) where pitch and time are the same.

But yeah, I'm still curious what the goal is here... Unless you're dealing with some 'A=432Hz' nonsense, there should be no reason to microtonally adjust a track's 'tuning'. Discrete intervals of a semitone are how musical key works.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

if you used math or acoustical physics you could use pitch slider sans pitchlock/master tempo to get the exact tuning tho

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

beeaar do you have any mixes or a yutube example ?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Shifting all the notes in a song up or down by a semitone is transposition. But yeah you're correct that it's independent of time, unlike free-balling it without 'master tempo' (gently caress why does Pioneer call it that) where pitch and time are the same.

But yeah, I'm still curious what the goal is here... Unless you're dealing with some 'A=432Hz' nonsense, there should be no reason to microtonally adjust a track's 'tuning'. Discrete intervals of a semitone are how musical key works.

The simple answer could be a vinyl rip where someone didn’t have the slider in the center, or stuff like Todd Rundgren’s “Initiation” which was sped up so it’d fit on a single record. Even in popular songs I have found discrepancies - it sucks and I just repitch them with Audacity because that’s easier.

For other tracks I use IrcamLabs TS which is a very high quality offline timestretcher.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I've played one these once and they were obsolete then. What's the oldest kit y'all remember? Radio shack mixers anyone? [I think my local store carried tascam? I drooled over that rack mount four channel joint with the effects.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Virgil Vox posted:

I've played one these once and they were obsolete then. What's the oldest kit y'all remember? Radio shack mixers anyone? [I think my local store carried tascam? I drooled over that rack mount four channel joint with the effects.

CDJ-200s remain the oldest thing I've played on. I suppose it's possible I've played on technics produced before then, but those are timeless.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A friend has these and he will not get rid of them despite them being complete rear end.

I hate the things.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
rekordbox / DDJ-400 . Windows 10

I'm using two monitors, when I finish record the "SAVE" dialogue box always pops up on my monitor 1 when I need it on monitor 2 (where I also have rekordbox running). Is there any way to change this?

beeaar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 17, 2022

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Virgil Vox posted:

First CD players I ever DJ’d with were some rack-mount front-load players that did have pitch control in the form of a tiny slider on the front panel, but no jog wheels. Played tons of sets in my early years where CDJ-100s were the norm in venues, before the advent of 1000s and later the 800s

I’ve also played vinyl on all manner of janky-rear end thrift store turntables too. The worst I remember was a random house party that I was at the evening after I had gone record shopping, and the records were still in my car. The party had a pair of decks set up so I hopped on, but one of the turntables’ pitch fader didn’t work so I had to do all my pitch matching on the other deck, regardless of whether it was the live channel or not

Good times

P.S. I’m old and I’ve been doing this for a really really long time

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

susan b buffering posted:

CDJ-200s remain the oldest thing I've played on. I suppose it's possible I've played on technics produced before then, but those are timeless.

200s were underrated, they had a digital out and the only unit [at the time] other than the 1000mk3 to have .02% resolution at 6% so you could layer progressive/trance for minutes without touching the jog wheel, could also do mp3 data cds but I think that was common by then. I would have lamented (this was a MUST) printed xcell spreadsheets with all my top40 tracklists, but still burned audio cds for underground dance cause they loaded way faster. Never played on the 100s but they also seemed really great for their time.

vanilla slimfast posted:

First CD players I ever DJ’d with were some rack-mount front-load players that did have pitch control in the form of a tiny slider on the front panel, but no jog wheels. Played tons of sets in my early years where CDJ-100s were the norm in venues, before the advent of 1000s and later the 800s

Yes! :same: I still have my first dual cd rack unit, I'll dig it out and post a pic. No jogs either and a giant delay after pressing the play button, I never actually pulled off a successful beatmix with it and I quickly got some turntables and learned properly. Still though I had loads of fun taking it to parties in high school and just fading between tracks, stuff you wouldn't mix anyway so no biggie.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Found it, not sure why I still have it but it was a champ:

I paired it with this:

I (with a lot of help from dad) built a custom angled wedge box out of plywood that they all mounted to. That mixer had the loudest headphone out I've ever experienced.

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 18, 2022

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Virgil Vox posted:

200s were underrated, they had a digital out and the only unit [at the time] other than the 1000mk3 to have .02% resolution at 6% so you could layer progressive/trance for minutes without touching the jog wheel, could also do mp3 data cds but I think that was common by then. I would have lamented (this was a MUST) printed xcell spreadsheets with all my top40 tracklists, but still burned audio cds for underground dance cause they loaded way faster. Never played on the 100s but they also seemed really great for their time.

I was actually surprised by how nice they were. I'm pretty sure I still have the CD book I used for those gigs. Lots of french house on those discs.

I think the actual oldest piece of gear I've used were some old rack Denon CD players at my college radio station. Those things had cartridges you loaded the CDs into before loading them into the player (kinda felt like an NES tbh) and were solid as hell. Actually found out they died recently :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I just bought a Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk3 off Ebay. I haven't done this since college like 7 or 8 years ago. This should be fun. :)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Since we’ve got an old and new series of posts going - I’m way out of practice and have been meaning to get back into into it for ages. Anyone have recommendations for playlists/record club packs/a sampler album with reasonably modern tracks?

I’d like something I can use to get back into practice at my technique while I start my own digging again - and I’d rather not feel like I’m just “going back to the well” or playing the stalest tracks while I do that.

Genre doesn’t matter that much, I’d take any suggestions.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I reached enough $$$ in mixcloud to get a payout. However, they require you to send your bank acount number over an unsecured email in a word doc. I reached out to them and they said they don't have the ability to do a secure link (what year is it?).

They gave me an alternative which was to mail my bank account details to their office in London. No thanks.

Needless to say, I'm leaving my money in there. This poo poo is loving wild, I cannot believe it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When you're trying to mix a clean take of OPS vol. 23, but this idiot has other ideas:

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Mister Speaker posted:

When you're trying to mix a clean take of OPS vol. 23, but this idiot has other ideas:

DJ Hairball in the mix.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I guess Acapellas4u is down for good, is there any alternative even close to what that site had?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any of you cats know anything about taking apart and cleaning Pioneer hardware? It's long overdue for me; last night I finally got a passable take of OPS vol. 23 but one of my mixer's cue buttons stuck a few times. I've had a CDJ cue button do some funky things too, and like I said in general it's just long overdue. I bet there's tons of cat hair underneath every control surface in the place.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Any of you cats know anything about taking apart and cleaning Pioneer hardware? It's long overdue for me; last night I finally got a passable take of OPS vol. 23 but one of my mixer's cue buttons stuck a few times. I've had a CDJ cue button do some funky things too, and like I said in general it's just long overdue. I bet there's tons of cat hair underneath every control surface in the place.

I think there was a Christian Jackson video where he cleans some pio stuff from burning man

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rboX9jfc_Ds

I don't think i'd be comfortable going as far as he did but maybe he has a shop manual. If you do turn some screws post it here, i've never cracked open a DJM and there's not nearly the amount of info on mixer cue replacement vs the cdj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq6V4sLON4

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 13, 2022

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Virgil Vox posted:

I guess Acapellas4u is down for good, is there any alternative even close to what that site had?

This site is pretty solid. Also there's quite a few sites that will let you make your own acapellas. It's not like it was back in the day, pulling vocals out of tracks is a lot easier and better nowadays.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I’ve tried basically every vocal extractor and they all top out at “almost passable in a mix for a short period of time” as an absolute best case scenario

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m interested in DJing as a way of learning the high-level, macro side of composing electronic music. I am not going to perform professionally, this will be on a desk at home. I am considering having this at my music desk instead of my PC in hopes of buying a laptop to plug my Behringer mixer into (as part of my hardware synth setup), and I find leaning over to click around on a laptop irritating so physical controls are ideal. An iPad is likely not going to work for me.

With this in mind, what’s a good choice for a non-performance, home mixing/composition-oriented controller? So far I’ve found the DDJ-200 and the DDJ-400, and I’m not sure whether to spring for the extra bells and whistles of the 400 or try out the 200. There’s definitely other options, though, and I’d love to hear opinions from more experienced people.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

With this in mind, what’s a good choice for a non-performance, home mixing/composition-oriented controller? So far I’ve found the DDJ-200 and the DDJ-400, and I’m not sure whether to spring for the extra bells and whistles of the 400 or try out the 200. There’s definitely other options, though, and I’d love to hear opinions from more experienced people.

The DDJ-400, Numark Mix Track Platinum, Hercules Inpulse and NI Traktor S2 mk3 are all around the same level and this basically shows in the interface. You get 2 decks, EQ, and some one-button effects stuff. I have the S2 and it feels really nice.

The next model tier after that adds dedicated effects controls and/or 2 additional tracks, which means that you can queue up more songs - which is nice if you have to make quick transitions between several tracks in a short time. You also (often) get XLR outputs which can pump out more oomph than the RCA plugs. The big jump forward tends to be in the feel of the controls, and the size of the pitch slider. With that you get additional accuracy which is really nice if you're doing open format stuff.

I used to have a Numark Mix Track - the first version was basically just a MIDI controller and it didn't have RGB pads which required me to program lots of markers so tracks would load in the right spot - but it did have dedicated effects knobs. I had to drag an extra audio interface with me, so it's not as elegant. Either way I ended up remapping the hell out of it and IMO every system benefits from extra freely assignable endless encoders.

You likely want to do that too - I don't know how it works in rekordbox (I assume you can do similar stuff) but in Traktor you can basically make knobs do a completely different thing if you abuse some buttons as advanced shift buttons. Programming this is worthwhile but tedious.

Further than that gets you self-contained systems but then you're already so far gone price-wise that it's not even funny anymore.

Anyway, I'd go for a DDJ-400 at least; everything less than that looks a bit like a toy to me. If you like automation and effects, you probably will at a certain point seriously consider going for the slightly better model because at least you'll get dedicated controls for effects with those, and then you realize you're just doing this for fun and you already have a bottomless pit pastime, Eurorack delenda est.

The thing that surprised me the most about DJing like this is that it's hella fun, but gathering tracks to mix is its own rabbithole. It's also a very satisfying puzzle, and when you realize you can just edit a song in a DAW to cut out bits that you don't care for - that's really nice.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

I’ve tried basically every vocal extractor and they all top out at “almost passable in a mix for a short period of time” as an absolute best case scenario

gently caress, I'm real dumb, I forgot to add the link.

https://www.voclr.it/

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I’m interested in DJing as a way of learning the high-level, macro side of composing electronic music. I am not going to perform professionally, this will be on a desk at home. I am considering having this at my music desk instead of my PC in hopes of buying a laptop to plug my Behringer mixer into (as part of my hardware synth setup), and I find leaning over to click around on a laptop irritating so physical controls are ideal. An iPad is likely not going to work for me.

Be forewarned, getting new DJ gear ATM might take months as supply's and shipping issues are still in full swing. Used gear might be your best option. Places like guitar center and sweetwater are your best options. If you would like to go new, Guitar Center gives you the option of basically reserving one that will ship directly to your home or nearest store once it comes in stock, but like I said, you could be waiting months for new items. Used you might be looking at a week or so.

The 400 I would say is the bare minimum you want for an at home DJ setup. The flx6 is great for home stuff, but if you ever plan on playing in a club, you won't have the big effects knob and it's features. I've seen people rock the gently caress out of the numark partymix, even a dj2go2. It's more about your goals, and what you want out of it. There are a ton of sub $600 controllers out there that are certainly worth while.

It all depends on how serious you want to get. The 400 is a perfect starting point though. It has just enough to let you go nuts, but not so much that it's intimidating. I have the ddj 800 myself, but I wanted something closer to a club setup, and didn't want to spend the extra cash for the 1000 which is basically the same thing, just with 2 more dedicated channels, where the 800 shares decks 3&4 with 1&2.

Traktor is the best software if you want to have multiple midi controllers you can customize. I used to run my Akai apc40 as a DJ controller. It took a month to learn how to program it, but you can make any button or knob on any midi controller do whatever you want. It's extremely advanced in that regard.

Check out djtechtools forum for guides and setups for Traktor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no everything I buy is used. Life is too short for brand new music gear.

Sounds like the 400 is a worthy option. I'll take a look, thank you!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nice work boys

https://twitter.com/behlingdj/status/1569702305590566913?t=kCeeBdU9O6kzxf7ooo9vZQ&s=19

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

speakers on the same surface as the turntable is also a pro move

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

lmao wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

idgi