Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder how often they shampooed the upholstery on the captain's chair.

Real talk I used to wonder how the ship "cleaned itself" as Riker put it when I was a kid, I figured they use micro transporter beams everywhere. Dirt in the carpet? Beam it directly to the matter storage tanks. poo poo in your rear end? Beam it directly to the matter storage tanks, no need for primative flushing.

Best sci fi toliet: Lexx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So many farts absorbed by those sets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Real talk I used to wonder how the ship "cleaned itself" as Riker put it when I was a kid, I figured they use micro transporter beams everywhere. Dirt in the carpet? Beam it directly to the matter storage tanks. poo poo in your rear end? Beam it directly to the matter storage tanks, no need for primative flushing.

The issue was that the cleaning robots kept developing sentience

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tighclops posted:

They probably have special computer protocols in place for Worf's farts.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I’ve always wondered about “waste extraction”, personally. It sounds a bit unpleasant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fortunately, it wipes your memory along with everything else, you just enter a door and then you're standing outside feeling emptier.

People try not to think about the sounds that come out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tighclops posted:

they got ensigns to clean/replace the holodeck biofilters like in lower decks (lol)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

chglcu posted:

I’ve always wondered about “waste extraction”, personally. It sounds a bit unpleasant.
The DS9 team had a writers' room gag about it involving the insertion of pincers, IIRC.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I finished my rewatch of Voyager, honestly this rewatch wasn't as bad as the last one. I even managed to catch some episodes I must have slept through.

I am now returning to DS9 , it is good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luEDui2zAUw

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

chglcu posted:

Not sure why, but I read this in Garak's voice.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tighclops posted:

poo poo in your rear end? Beam it directly to the matter storage tanks, no need for primative flushing.

Didn't know JK Rowling posted here

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

They probably have special computer protocols in place for Worf's farts.

Can't have the ship smelling like lilac.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sir Lemming posted:

Not sure why, but I read this in Garak's voice.

Ah, my dear Lemming - before this post is over, everyone is going to be reading it in his voice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always assumed space toilets in the future would just incinerate poo, or use it as fuel for the ship if applicable

As for cleaning, advances in oleophobic surface coatings and sufficient air circulation/filtration would take care of like 90% of day-to-day crud buildup

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean in Discovery the guy straight up says that poo poo is reconfigured or whatever with replicators to make apples. So I assume there's some sort of matter converter in the toilet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ENT explicitly mentioned at one point the human waste is recycled, although in a more primitive way than in TNG. It's just a fact of spaceflight and a closed system, you can't afford to waste.

In TNG era onwards all the fluff says that it just gets dereplicated and the molecules all go into the matter supply.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Tastes pretty good for poo poo” is one of the few good things Discovery did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On the Enterprise D, people just shat on the floor and O'Brien transported it into the replicator recycling generator.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

On the Enterprise D, people just shat on the floor and O'Brien transported it into the replicator recycling generator.
A poo poo wouldn’t hit the floor on O’Brien’s watch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SuperTeeJay posted:

A poo poo wouldn’t hit the floor on O’Brien’s watch.

O'Brien 10:29 posted:

Are not two turds recycled for an apple? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Chief.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I mean in Discovery the guy straight up says that poo poo is reconfigured or whatever with replicators to make apples. So I assume there's some sort of matter converter in the toilet.

That's also a few hundred years after TNG though. Could have been just a giant poo poo tank in Enterprise D.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i got an idea for a new star trek plot hook. they make a new alloy that's way stronger what they use on the hull, right, except... it's completely edible. how do you decide what to eat and what to keep on the ship, how to handle everyone freaking out about the delicious metal, etc plenty of directions to take it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BonHair posted:

That's also a few hundred years after TNG though. Could have been just a giant poo poo tank in Enterprise D.

The horribly speciesist ensign kept rerouting it to Cetacean Ops and going, "More like Cetacean Poops!" until he got airlocked.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Garak after eating replicated delavian chocolates: "Tastes pretty good for poo poo!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BonHair posted:

Yes it’s like 700 years later

TNG starts in like 2362 and Disco S3 is in 3182

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

ENT explicitly mentioned at one point the human waste is recycled, although in a more primitive way than in TNG. It's just a fact of spaceflight and a closed system, you can't afford to waste.

In TNG era onwards all the fluff says that it just gets dereplicated and the molecules all go into the matter supply.

In the Expanse they even mention that for deep space missions you can't even tolerate minor leaks in vacuum seals because that adds up to a big problem in a few years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember the TNG Tech Manual saying there were huge tanks of just blank ‘matter’ that the replicators drew from to make things, and things got broken down like poop and the plates/glasses/etc to refill them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"Raw elementals" I think

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

I remember the TNG Tech Manual saying there were huge tanks of just blank ‘matter’ that the replicators drew from to make things, and things got broken down like poop and the plates/glasses/etc to refill them.
Yeah they figured out some kind of slurry blend that was statistically the most efficient for replication. The replicator has always been about transforming matter, not just creating it ex nihilo, although to be fair I don't think they ever say that on screen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that after Voyager I'm going to watch TNG and DS9 again BUT I'm starting on season 3 of both

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I put on an early S4 episode of Voyager after not seeing any for like over a decade and Jesus gently caress Jeri Ryan’s costume is the most Rick Berman bullshit ever. Like did it get less bullshit as the show progressed or something, or am I just misremembering?

Didn’t she have to be like sewn into it daily and couldn’t use the restroom while it was on or something?

gently caress. It like physically pained my back to see that lovely catsuit way more than any of the stupid one-piece S1 TNG costumes. At least she is getting that Star Trek Picard money laundering easy paycheck like 25 years later for all of that most likely sexist nightmare garbage she endured.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

I think that after Voyager I'm going to watch TNG and DS9 again BUT I'm starting on season 3 of both

Okay but watch Duet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pirate Pike is the best Pike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jeeves posted:

I put on an early S4 episode of Voyager after not seeing any for like over a decade and Jesus gently caress Jeri Ryan’s costume is the most Rick Berman bullshit ever. Like did it get less bullshit as the show progressed or something, or am I just misremembering?

Didn’t she have to be like sewn into it daily and couldn’t use the restroom while it was on or something?

gently caress. It like physically pained my back to see that lovely catsuit way more than any of the stupid one-piece S1 TNG costumes. At least she is getting that Star Trek Picard money laundering easy paycheck like 25 years later for all of that most likely sexist nightmare garbage she endured.

If it's the silver one she only wore that for a couple of episodes. She cycles through tight bodysuits of various colors but nothing as bad as that one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I always thought the blue one lo the nicest.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The silver one was the one that also made her pass out repeatedly, if I recall right. That thing was a death trap.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
I remember the doctor being really proud of designing her catsuits, which never made sense - I don't think there was an in-universe reason for having her wear special clothes, right? Like the catsuit formed a Faraday cage that blocked her Borg implants or whatever nonsense.

Obviously it was to appeal to a certain audience but there was no reason not to stick her in a standard uniform. They should have had Jellico appear as a hologram to chastise everyone again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ron Moore mentioned in a post-trek interview when he was grumbling about Voyager that if they were going to stick Seven in that catsuit they could've at least put Tom Paris in hotpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://youtu.be/05PgbkLYSlw