Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

carticket posted:

I bet you love the Free Staters.

I live in the greater boston area, so think that attitude but i went X college and know more than you despite not working on studying your field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol, and perchance lmao

https://twitter.com/OracleHawk/status/1537838973254516737

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Celsius had scheduled an AMA that all their customer support staff were pointing their angry customers to for reassurance his last week. 10 mins before the event was suppose to start it got cancelled with 2000 people waiting and the following video was uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHW8Xen4Cw

Rug pulling accountability to their creditors.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pippy posted:

Celsius had scheduled an AMA that all their customer support staff were pointing their angry customers to for reassurance his last week. 10 mins before the event was suppose to start it got cancelled with 2000 people waiting and the following video was uploaded:

ahahaha "comments are turned off"

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

ahahaha "comments are turned off"

I wanted to shitpost so badly in there, and those cowards ruined my fun.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

pippy posted:

holy poo poo LOL

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Seems legit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"we did not want to get yelled at for 30 minutes straight"

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
All those cryptobros twitter profile pics have them smugly seated at some conference, fancy face mic attached to their head etc

Now this fuckin guys in a t shirt

Look like a dishrag lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

priznat posted:

"we did not want to get yelled at for 30 minutes straight"

they have real lawyers in place now who basically pulled a gun on him and told him under no circumstances can he make any public statement, at all

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

evilweasel posted:

they have real lawyers in place now who basically pulled a gun on him and told him under no circumstances can he make any public statement, at all

It's an interesting part of this "history of financial protections" speedrun that if someone in 1930 had gone to their bank and tried to withdraw money and were told they couldn't do that today but everything is fine, they had enough sense to know the institution had collapsed.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

I, uh, am trying to put this in perspective of literally anything else that exists in the real world. I can't even begin to think how apocalyptic this would be if it happened to the current IRL stock market. Even in the absolute worst calamity of a sudden panic and such (Black *day) and its aftereffects did those ever come even close to half this much loss (real or imaginary)?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

El Spamo posted:

I, uh, am trying to put this in perspective of literally anything else that exists in the real world. I can't even begin to think how apocalyptic this would be if it happened to the current IRL stock market. Even in the absolute worst calamity of a sudden panic and such (Black *day) and its aftereffects did those ever come even close to half this much loss (real or imaginary)?

the 1929 crash eventually wiped out 89% of market value, but that was over a three year period. the crypto collapse is currently going about 3-4 times that speed.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

evilweasel posted:

He knew that the AMA wouldn't happen days ago. Waiting till 10 mins before the start of the AMA to cancel it allowed Celsius to benefit from people dumping more collateral in their margin loans as crypto crashed.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol: the market is probably even more hosed than that since a bunch of exchanges aren’t allowing withdrawals. It’ll be a total bloodbath whenever those exchanges start allowing withdrawals again.*

*:lol: unless Coinbase says gently caress it and goes wild with USDC.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: the market is probably even more hosed than that since a bunch of exchanges aren’t allowing withdrawals. It’ll be a total bloodbath whenever those exchanges start allowing withdrawals again.*

It looks like they can keep the price above 20k so long as they don't allow anyone to take money out, is that right?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Stink Billyums posted:

the 1929 crash eventually wiped out 89% of market value, but that was over a three year period. the crypto collapse is currently going about 3-4 times that speed.

Speedrunning the history of finance... I guess they're at the Great Depression now then?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

is number ok? go upp???

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

greazeball posted:

is number ok? go upp???

It's held relatively steady for the past 4 hours between 20400 and 20600.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It looks like they can keep the price above 20k so long as they don't allow anyone to take money out, is that right?

:shrug: potentially? :shrug:

They can’t keep exchanges locked forever. They’re either using this time to steal whatever isn’t nailed down and are flying to non-extradition countries as I type this OR they’re trying to figure out how to let people out slowly without causing a stampede towards the exit.
As others mentioned upthread, there’s a lot of evidence for significant margin calls if the price goes <20k, so that’s probably the :airquote: floor :airquote: for the next few days/hours/picoseconds

Figuring out how to leave retail holding the bag on those margin calls is probably what all of the exchanges and funds are desperately working on right now. IMO the easiest way to do that would be to introduce a new infra-exchange stablecoin that will let the whales cash out and retail gets left holding arcade tokens

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I legit feel bad for people who were so let down by capitalism that they gravitated to this fraud with their life savings only to be hosed even harder.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

the number hasn't moved in a while, somebody poke at it a little.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

DebonaireD posted:

the number hasn't moved in a while, somebody poke at it a little.

Lots of HODL bots going on right now for Margin reasons probably. Need another link in the chain to collapse and suffer their liquidation first.

Predicting that they are caught up to 2008, they should notice that everyone is loving everyone else and they all have the drops as they unwind poo poo when someone else announces their rug pull. They somehow all owe each other money and no one questions the circle until someone fucks off with the cash.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

There are a few "crypto finance" platforms blocking withdrawals (banking and lending platforms and poo poo like celsius), but there are no major exchanges doing this, are there?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 17, 2022

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

pippy posted:

:lmao: that's loving great

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

davecrazy posted:

I legit feel bad for people who were so let down by capitalism that they gravitated to this fraud with their life savings only to be hosed even harder.

I don't. They should try doing something concrete about it rather than wishing upon a star like loving losers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

And to add the extra layer of irony, you peg yourself

:frogon:

PITY BONER posted:

One of my relatives was a huge anti-establishment punk who realized he was good at programming, so he got his degree in compsci and spent that last decade or so working in tech. He transferred his anti-establishment stance into everything technological, including the typical "I gotta be at the forefront of something, because anyone at the forefront of anything in this field got to cash out with huge money" thinking that's common there. This, of course, all funneled his attention into cypto.

He gambled his life savings on coins, and the last I heard from others (since we haven't spoken in years due to his frantic obsession with all this poo poo) is that he never sleeps anymore and doesn't eat, and all he can do besides work is fret over how much money he is losing.

I cannot express the level of joy this image brings me. Also: username/post combo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How are u posted:

I don't. They should try doing something concrete about it rather than wishing upon a star like loving losers.

"lol just pull yourself up by your bootstraps"

gently caress you

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Can somebody explain to me, a luddite, what's the point of a crypto coin pegged to the dollar?

Avoiding banking laws and regulations. Using one of those fake-dollars instead of actual dollars lets you play on the offshore unregulated exchanges that can't do actual USD transfers because they don't follow banking laws/regs like anti-money laundering laws and know-your-customer regulations, and no legitimate bank will touch them as a result. But everyone still prices things in dollars and does business in dollars, so they invented fake "dollars" to act as a substitute.

From the standpoint of the companies issuing those stablecoins, they're not subject to any oversight or verification that they actually have actual dollars to back/redeem the stablecoins, so there's nothing stopping them from printing up unbacked stablecoins and buying things up with them as if they were dollars. They can basically print free "money", as long as everyone stays convinced that the stablecoin is actually worth $1.

Those really are the only reasons for them to exist and for people to use them rather than actual USD. If that seems like a great big red flag to you, congrats, you've got a better bullshit detector than most folks who have gotten deep into cryptos.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

How are u posted:

Yeah I've never fallen for persuasion from any source either, high five

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"lol just pull yourself up by your bootstraps"

gently caress you

More like realize the only path forward is to change the system, rather than trying to game the system to get rich. Not boostraps, but collective action and organizing with other people.

Crypto people are selfish assholes who thought they could exploit a loophole to make themselves rich and powerful. gently caress them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Bitcoins persuasion is just you will get more money for nothing, and no we won’t elaborate on how

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Screenshotting tweets is also a good idea if it is something extra stupid in case the person deletes it. That one wasn’t but also a good idea to ss regardless .

Don'r be a dumbass and put it in the blockchain for real safety.

(wow, I thought this was the other thread and replied to something like 20 pages back, you're welcome)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How are u posted:

More like realize the only path forward is to change the system, rather than trying to game the system to get rich. Not boostraps, but collective action and organizing with other people.

Crypto people are selfish assholes who thought they could exploit a loophole to make themselves rich and powerful. gently caress them.

Voting has less of an impact than the piles of cash being dumped on politicians by crypto lobbyists hth.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punishedkissinger posted:

Voting has less of an impact than the piles of cash being dumped on politicians by crypto lobbyists hth.

If i were only talking about voting and nothing else then I guess you might have a point. Hth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How are u posted:

While I am sure there are a number of retail investors who either just bought in because it was the new hotness or because of the hypothetical Earnest but Desperate and Ignorant Real Working Class American status, a lot of these folks, I reckon... well, their problem isn't the system as such, it's their position in the system.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

While I am sure there are a number of retail investors who either just bought in because it was the new hotness or because of the hypothetical Earnest but Desperate and Ignorant Real Working Class American status, a lot of these folks, I reckon... well, their problem isn't the system as such, it's their position in the system.

Yep. They desperately want to be the boot stepping down on everybody else's neck, forever.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I wanna see number go down like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtITyjaGr8g&t=165s

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

How are u posted:

Yep. They desperately want to be the boot stepping down on everybody else's neck, forever.

This is literally an accurate summary of capitalism and especially libertarianism. The more someone ascribes to the latter the more they just want to be above someone else on the social ladder without restrictions on suppression of those beneath them. So everything has to be a zero sum gently caress you got mine because that's what these sort of folks live for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Squiggle posted:

Yeah I've never fallen for persuasion from any source either, high five

"Man Who Lost Everything In Crypto Just Wishes Several Thousand More People Had Warned Him" https://www.theonion.com/man-who-lost-everything-in-crypto-just-wishes-several-t-1848764551/amp