Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

bird with big dick posted:

EV6 frunk is useless I bet you can't even get a pork shoulder in there let alone a brisket.

toss a bed of hickory chunks in the frunk, add a pork shoulder, then head down to the track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If I run an extension cord the frunk could be good as a water bath / sous vide.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The frunk on the EV6 is smaller on the AWD model so i guess RWD is the car for real meat lovers!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://www.designboom.com/technology/lightyear-0-can-drive-for-months-06-10-2022/

I'm starting an EV company, we're making a car that never needs to charge because it huffs your farts for you and uses them to charge the battery, who wants to join my Kickstarter?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kitten emergency posted:

toss a bed of hickory chunks in the frunk, add a pork shoulder, then head down to the track

Can you add a Ron Popeil rotisserie to the Lightning frunk so you can set it and forget it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What are some good model 3 accessories I got a sun shade and some maxpider mats and they installed Homelink yesterday, what else do I need? Puddle lights that say 3? Center console organizer? Carbon fiber yoke steering wheel? Trunk liner? Frunk liner? Shrimp sauce?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What are some good model 3 accessories I got a sun shade and some maxpider mats and they installed Homelink yesterday, what else do I need? Puddle lights that say 3? Center console organizer? Carbon fiber yoke steering wheel? Trunk liner? Frunk liner? Shrimp sauce?

matte screen protector -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084BNC3FG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

trunk mat -> https://www.amazon.com/ThinSGO-Tesl...aps%2C66&sr=8-6

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PPF / Ceramic Coat installed :woop:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The only other accessories I've found useful are a sliding center console change tray (which makes the cavernous area in front of the cup holders more useful) and a faster storage drive for DashCam/Sentry Mode. The USB drive that comes with the car is a little slow for writing four simultaneous video streams. I just got a massive ruggedized SSD off Amazon, and it works fine.

I keep my emergency gear and first aid kit in the subtrunk with the mobile charger and an old blanket.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The only other accessories I've found useful are a sliding center console change tray (which makes the cavernous area in front of the cup holders more useful) and a faster storage drive for DashCam/Sentry Mode. The USB drive that comes with the car is a little slow for writing four simultaneous video streams. I just got a massive ruggedized SSD off Amazon, and it works fine.

I keep my emergency gear and first aid kit in the subtrunk with the mobile charger and an old blanket.

Yeah I was eyeing the sliding center thing.

Already replaced the storage drive based on recommendations from teslamotorclub.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Some stuff I bought.
Trunk organizer Amazon
Drop Stop Amazon
Rugged floor mats Amazon

Edit: the floor mats I bought aren't available any longer but there's countless ones just like it for $100. They're pretty much essential over the crappy fabric ones the cars come with.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 17, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have these

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some of those special window-breaking hammers, in the glove box but also have some accessible from the rear seats

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw an EV6 with a crumpled hatch. There is literally no rear bumper. Bring back 5mph bumpers imo

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The “frunk” in the EV6 sucks lol. Yeah just keep your travel charger there and maybe another small thing. I’ve yet to use it for anything.

You know what else is small? Shrimp.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Can I buy a Mach-E with a Fumoto valve on the frunk drain hole, or is that aftermarket only?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

Some of those special window-breaking hammers, in the glove box but also have some accessible from the rear seats

Note, those do not work in the current model 3s because the side windows are laminated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

the complete Grimes discography?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If I run an extension cord the frunk could be good as a water bath / sous vide.

It's not deep enough to hold anything but a hanger steak, though!

e: and shrimp, but it would have to be a shrimp boil. No room for ice.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At that point why even bother with a frunk

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My car came back having the summer wheels put on minus a logo on one of the wheels :argh:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Are those OEM wheels? That is shockingly low quality for a Porsche, if so.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Elviscat posted:

https://www.designboom.com/technology/lightyear-0-can-drive-for-months-06-10-2022/

I'm starting an EV company, we're making a car that never needs to charge because it huffs your farts for you and uses them to charge the battery, who wants to join my Kickstarter?

It's probabily a total grift, but I do like the look of the actual car and it does look aero.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PPF / Ceramic Coat installed :woop:

Nice! Would you mind telling how much it was? I've got no idea what to expect on that.

edit: petition to rename frunk to fupa.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 17, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Nice! Would you mind telling how much it was? I've got no idea what to expect on that.

PPF + Coat was $1750. Another outfitter place nearby threw me a similar quote and it was actually a bit lower than some of the numbers thrown of people that posted their ceramic coat / ppf installs on the EV6 subreddit but that might be a regional thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PPF + Coat was $1750. Another outfitter place nearby threw me a similar quote and it was actually a bit lower than some of the numbers thrown of people that posted their ceramic coat / ppf installs on the EV6 subreddit but that might be a regional thing.

Actually a bit lower than I expected. Of course being in San Francisco and planning on doing it on a completely different car will change things but it gives me a ballpark. Thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Get some Windex wipes for road trips. You can also buy a sponge with fishnet pantyhose over it to help scrub bugs off the windshield.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Are those OEM wheels? That is shockingly low quality for a Porsche, if so.

They are. The centre caps are kinda separate items but still wouldn't expect that to happen on expensive wheels.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9J0TED041.html

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

Note, those do not work in the current model 3s because the side windows are laminated.

gently caress, lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Get some Windex wipes for road trips. You can also buy a sponge with fishnet pantyhose over it to help scrub bugs off the windshield.

Somewhere in my garage I've got one of these that I kept in the Mach

I love nothing more than when you're out and about and you've got like 20 minutes to kill (like waiting at the airport in the cell phone lot, or waiting for the car to charge, or whatever), using that time to do some car detailing.

I need to find it, I think it's buried under some of my wifes poo poo.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
An absolute madman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRtqBTkPVY
And he's running it solo and stock.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 18, 2022

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Somewhere in my garage I've got one of these that I kept in the Mach

I love nothing more than when you're out and about and you've got like 20 minutes to kill (like waiting at the airport in the cell phone lot, or waiting for the car to charge, or whatever), using that time to do some car detailing.

I need to find it, I think it's buried under some of my wifes poo poo.

if you put a bag there, where do you put the shrimp cocktail?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dometic CCF-T Center Console Refrigerator for Ford Pickups or Ford Expedition, 7.5 liter https://a.co/d/aKrXfA7

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I got to drive an EV for the first extended period of time these past few days. My parents were visiting family about ~14 hours away or so, and I took some time off to help them with the driving so they could do it in one go as they're not getting any younger, and it was also the first time they took their EV6 anywhere on a road trip so they were also a bit cautious on how it would be.

As far as driving the EV6 for like 20 hours personally, I was very impressed. Very comfortable for a long ride, lots of leg room in the front and back, the vented seats were an eye opener, the HUD with all the nav directions, info, etc projected out in a pseudo AR way was wonderful. I thought the infotainment and nav system very responsive and easy to use, and the pop up camera views while changing lanes were delightful. The highway driving assist stuff really impressed me with how well it worked. I still wouldn't trust any autonomous driving systems as far as I can throw them, but to its credit it was rock solid keeping you in the lanes without wobbling, the auto lane change worked flawlessly every time, and while I would never take my hands off the wheel and risk a computer loving up, it would have driven every part of the highway miles without intervention, hands off, if I let it as I never had to take over control forcefully from it trying to do something screwey.

Again, I would never trust it with anyone I cared about's life, but it did impress me, and took some of the load off having to micro adjust your position as normal.

The biggest worry my parents had, about the charging (and something I was a little iffy on), ended up being the biggest non issue of the trip. It was a pretty major route, so every stop was a 350kw station, and that EV6 charges so drat fast there was not one single stop where we were waiting for it to finish charging. At every stop the limiting factor was waiting for someone to come back from using a restroom, or grabbing something to drink, and by then the car was always past where ABRP projected we needed to be at (we also showed up at every station with way more % left in the car than ABRP predicted we would, so efficiency was pretty good). The only issues we had were one stop where both 350 stations just weren't working so we had to use a 150kw, and even then it still charged up more than needed by the time we finished grabbing a bite, and another where the only 350kw charger was being used by someone with a BMW i3 charging at 45kw max, lol, but they we really friendly and offered to stop charging on that one and switch to a 150 that also reached where they were parked.

We never saw it limited speedwise at the 350kw stations, and at every stop it happily went right up to ~220-240kw within 30 seconds of starting its charge, and was still pulling ~170ish right up to 80%, and ~60some past 90%. I was really, really impressed with the charging speeds, and provided the infrastructure for 350kw speed chargers grows more and more, any concerns about waiting around for EVs compared to filling up a gas tank is just gone for me. It was quite funny though seeing the difference in the stations that charged per kw, and by the minute. At the per kw stations it was something like ~$20 for a charge, but at the per minute stations, due to the high charging speed, the same amount of charging was ~$5, lol, I can't imagine the companies will let that go on much longer before shifting everything to per kw pricing.

A+ experience road tripping an EV, would do it again.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I really wish there was an EV6 at like, 0.9x scale. It's an appealing car but it's just a little too big for my usual garage parking spots.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You have surprisingly nice hands

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I wanted to rent an EV for this weekend, even a Tesla, but every non-Tesla sold out or was ridiculously priced, and all the Teslas on Turo have insanely creepy tracking poo poo on them.

So I'm in a base model 2022 Charger, and Holy poo poo is it a pile of garbage compared to my '17 Leaf, especially for 0-30 acceleration on traffic, like the last thing I want is 3 seconds of wheezing nothingness before a sudden, giant jolt of power as the V6 and slushbox figure out how to accelerate while I'm trying to change lanes.

And I'm never, ever, driving a Tesla. Ever. I'm not sending every detail of how I accelerate and where back to home base constantly and retrieveably. gently caress That.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Can confirm that Buc-ee’s is huge. Hooray for early morning road trips. Also first V3 supercharger I’ve ever used.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Elviscat posted:

I wanted to rent an EV for this weekend, even a Tesla, but every non-Tesla sold out or was ridiculously priced, and all the Teslas on Turo have insanely creepy tracking poo poo on them.

So I'm in a base model 2022 Charger, and Holy poo poo is it a pile of garbage compared to my '17 Leaf, especially for 0-30 acceleration on traffic, like the last thing I want is 3 seconds of wheezing nothingness before a sudden, giant jolt of power as the V6 and slushbox figure out how to accelerate while I'm trying to change lanes.

And I'm never, ever, driving a Tesla. Ever. I'm not sending every detail of how I accelerate and where back to home base constantly and retrieveably. gently caress That.

well get ready, because a lot of cars do it now, and not just EVs. Pretty much any car with a cellular connection can, and often does, send some amount of monetarily valuable data back to a manufacturer. What exactly is sent back and what is done with it depends on the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, combined with the fact that apparently 33% of medical scheduling sites in the US send the reason, date, and person for every medical appointment to Meta, imma bout ready to move to a cabin in the woods and abandon all technology.

Except for my Leaf, which doesn't send anything to anyone.