Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From the perspective of a government agency, you have a person with super powers who is either intentionally or accidentally causing a lot of damage, and hurting innocent people.
When they try to contain this potentially dangerous person, the person runs away. It's not like they have any idea of Kamala's age or ethnicity, or even that she isn't a super villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

From the perspective of a government agency, you have a person with super powers who is either intentionally or accidentally causing a lot of damage, and hurting innocent people.
When they try to contain this potentially dangerous person, the person runs away. It's not like they have any idea of Kamala's age or ethnicity, or even that she isn't a super villain.

Yeah, but they're doing all this in a really ham-fisted way with a lot of bullying/power-tripping for its own sake. There are smarter, subtler ways to approach this situation and they are clearly not using them. You kind of wonder if all the "kill Wanda with a drone" folks from SWORD got hired by this group.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but they're doing all this in a really ham-fisted way with a lot of bullying/power-tripping for its own sake. There are smarter, subtler ways to approach this situation and they are clearly not using them. You kind of wonder if all the "kill Wanda with a drone" folks from SWORD got hired by this group.

if they were smart and subtle they wouldn't be cops/feds

ACAB

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I didn't know the bad guys were Damage Control before it being mentioned in this thread. I mean we saw them like once at the beginning of Homecoming.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Oasx posted:

'If she's not guilty, why'd she run?"

Lammasu posted:

I didn't know the bad guys were Damage Control before it being mentioned in this thread. I mean we saw them like once at the beginning of Homecoming.

It's the exact same actor from No Way Home.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

With how much Far From Home was focused on "Tony Stark's Legacy", the fact that his company's joint venture with the US government is using his satellite kill drones to hunt kids in New Jersey could lead to some interesting stories about how far reaching Tony's influence is, for better or worse. Could be interesting to see Armor Wars or Ironheart dealing with the fallout of the world's most powerful weapons manufacturer losing its conscience overnight.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lammasu posted:

We also saw the one male agent in No Way Home. I don't think Damage Control are the bad guys in this. They're probably a bit like the military jets were in Iron Man, shooting at Tony because he was an unknown bogey. They're clearly going to be an antagonist/opposition/obstacle for Kamala.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Style posted:

With how much Far From Home was focused on "Tony Stark's Legacy", the fact that his company's joint venture with the US government is using his satellite kill drones to hunt kids in New Jersey could lead to some interesting stories about how far reaching Tony's influence is, for better or worse. Could be interesting to see Armor Wars or Ironheart dealing with the fallout of the world's most powerful weapons manufacturer losing its conscience overnight.

Stark Industries went down in No Way Home. Daredevil was very clear that Happy was hosed. Pepper has surely been forced out.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Stark Industries went down in No Way Home. Daredevil was very clear that Happy was hosed. Pepper has surely been forced out.

Which doesn't rule out Rhodes as War Machine deciding, "Guess what, DoDC, my boss wouldn't want you hunting children so you don't get to play with his old toys anymore."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Which doesn't rule out Rhodes as War Machine deciding, "Guess what, DoDC, my boss wouldn't want you hunting children so you don't get to play with his old toys anymore."

It's probably where all the non-magic/god Earth based stories are headed. Gives Val access to an Iron Man analog for the Thunderbolts as well

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This new Jon Snow show makes me wonder if Marvel's going to bury Black Knight. Maybe cause the reception for Eternals was so meh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ms. Marvel has explicitly referenced Eternals, so I doubt it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Ms. Marvel has explicitly referenced Eternals, so I doubt it.

They're probably in too deep to dump the Eternals but Harrington's in the movie for like five minutes. And his conection to them isn't on Earth anymore.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 17, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cythereal posted:

This is what's confused me as well.

Ms. Marvel is a show about an immigrant Muslim family from the Middle East, and people are surprised and upset that the cops are antagonistic towards the main characters?

There are plenty of privileged people who have never given much thought to the ways that police interact with minorities

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

live with fruit posted:

This new Jon Snow show makes me wonder if Marvel's going to bury Black Knight. Maybe cause the reception for Eternals was so meh.

He'll have time to do both, HBO shows don't film all year round

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

live with fruit posted:

Do we know for sure how much of this stuck through the reality rewrite, though? Even if events play out as close to the same as possible, there's a chance the case falls apart when nobody can remember who Spider-Man is anymore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

I can sort of get the latinx line. I'm a not quite 54 year old straight white cisgender male. A lot of these terms are new to me. It feels weird calling someone like Ezra Miller "they/them." I recently had a course at my job talking about using the right pronouns for people - which was something I hadn't really thought about before. And I get it. I apparently have a weirdly feminine voice over the speakers at McDonald's because I get called "Ma'am" a lot and it's annoying (and I will occasionally retaliate in kind: "Thank you, sir.")

Eh, the latinx thing has a bit weirder subtext because a lot of actual Latinos-- including myself-- really don't like "latinx" and feel it's mostly being forced on us by well-intentioned but super out-of-their-lane US liberals and way-too-online US teenagers who don't realize that romance language binaries really aren't the most important social hill to die on in society right now (but it's a very "achievable" goal which is why they're so gung-ho about doing it).

I liked it as a line to show that these racist government types were indeed kind-of up their own asses.... but then yeah it also helps keep that stupid phrase perpetuating and that's not really fun either.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Do we know for sure how much of this stuck through the reality rewrite, though? Even if events play out as close to the same as possible, there's a chance the case falls apart when nobody can remember who Spider-Man is anymore.
lmao god I forgot how much No Way Home sucked a butt by the end. I'm willing to bet this is part of the massive headache they're trying to figure out for Armor Wars and Ironheart as we speak because No Way Home made way too much money to flat-out ignore, but the instant you get reality rewriting fuckery into the picture you start to lose the nuts and bolts storytelling (which No Way Home absolutely did).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Eh, the latinx thing has a bit weirder subtext because a lot of actual Latinos-- including myself-- really don't like "latinx" and feel it's mostly being forced on us by well-intentioned but super out-of-their-lane US liberals and way-too-online US teenagers who don't realize that romance language binaries really aren't the most important social hill to die on in society right now (but it's a very "achievable" goal which is why they're so gung-ho about doing it).

I liked it as a line to show that these racist government types were indeed kind-of up their own asses.... but then yeah it also helps keep that stupid phrase perpetuating and that's not really fun either.

Latinx originated as an academic term and gained popularity through the LGBTQ+ community. The DODC agent's mocking usage was meant to signal the agency's insensitivity to minority groups. It's followed immediately by them talking about how they need to be careful to not draw any heat when they stake out mosques. She also used it incorrectly

quote:

lmao god I forgot how much No Way Home sucked a butt by the end. I'm willing to bet this is part of the massive headache they're trying to figure out for Armor Wars and Ironheart as we speak because No Way Home made way too much money to flat-out ignore, but the instant you get reality rewriting fuckery into the picture you start to lose the nuts and bolts storytelling (which No Way Home absolutely did).

Strange's spell made everyone forget Peter Parker, not Spider-Man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

live with fruit posted:

The DODC agent's mocking usage was meant to signal the agency's insensitivity to minority groups.

I took it less as that and more as intentionally PC language which the DoDC had mandated without listening to the community who keeps saying 'hey we don't like this'

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

I took it less as that and more as intentionally PC language which the DoDC had mandated without listening to the community who keeps saying 'hey we don't like this'

She said it to a white girl she was intimidating. There's nothing textual to support that reading.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

live with fruit posted:

She said it to a white girl she was intimidating. There's nothing textual to support that reading.

There's nothing textual to support it being intentional mockery either :)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

There's nothing textual to support it being intentional mockery either :)

The guy from No Way Home makes a face when the female agent asks if "Night Light" had an accent like he didn't like the question. She then asks "Was she Latina? I'm sorry, I'm supposed to say Latinx now, right?" It's there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goons are so dedicated to being unable to watch and criticize film that when a show is actually good, they have to find bizarre new takes to excuse arguing about it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Here's a take for you: the soundtrack to this show loving owns

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pwnstar posted:

The point I originally brought up was that the cop stuff is way more Real poo poo than the zany low stakes dramas that the show is currently dealing with.

You could argue that this is intentional:

Cythereal posted:

She's a member of ethnic and religious minorities that get profiled and hassled by the cops, a lot.

It might be more Real poo poo, but it's Real poo poo that Muslim and immigrant teenagers have to deal with in real life with disturbing frequency.

Rarity posted:

There are plenty of privileged people who have never given much thought to the ways that police interact with minorities

This is the same episode where Kamala's mom is telling her that she isn't trying to be a bad mean mom on purpose, she just wants Kamala to be safe. She has legitimate fears about the world her daughter is facing, things Muneeba is a little more aware of with her proximity to the partition, but Kamala seems to be pretty naive about. She actually smiles during that story her dad tells about the train, as if it's some silly fairy tale that doesn't affect her. Like, it's possible this was her first close call with racist law enforcement.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

To make up for poorly explaining my idiosyncratic feelings about a perceived tonal shift, even if the content and themes resonated with the rest of the show I made something bad:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

You could argue that this is intentional:

This is the same episode where Kamala's mom is telling her that she isn't trying to be a bad mean mom on purpose, she just wants Kamala to be safe. She has legitimate fears about the world her daughter is facing, things Muneeba is a little more aware of with her proximity to the partition, but Kamala seems to be pretty naive about. She actually smiles during that story her dad tells about the train, as if it's some silly fairy tale that doesn't affect her. Like, it's possible this was her first close call with racist law enforcement.

Are we sure she didn't smile because she realized the story of her mother following a trail of stars to get back to her family on the train sounds like what her new powers can do?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
We not gonna talk about how that kid stole like 20 women's shoes and apparently likes wearing them? Now, that's an interesting character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

logger posted:

Are we sure she didn't smile because she realized the story of her mother following a trail of stars to get back to her family on the train sounds like what her new powers can do?

I don't know, but her and her brother both immediately gave what I saw as a smirky, eye-rolly expression as soon as her dad started telling the story. I took it as a 'lol he's telling THIS story again' reaction. Around 27:50 if you want to look. I'm probably not the best person to interpret since this isn't really my culture.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

I don't know, but her and her brother both immediately gave what I saw as a smirky, eye-rolly expression as soon as her dad started telling the story. I took it as a 'lol he's telling THIS story again' reaction. Around 27:50 if you want to look. I'm probably not the best person to interpret since this isn't really my culture.

My thinking is the scene immediately after that is Kamala on the phone with her great aunt(or just her aunt) asking about great grandma, so she must have thought she can get answers to where her powers came from after hearing the story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I think it’s a great use of your budget. Film the house and school locations a lot, do the rooftops on a sound stage, save the money for your action sequences. It’s a different rhythm than in Falcon/Soldier, which had a few action sequences but felt like there was a lot of scheming and empty hallways to get the episodes to 50 minutes.

I brought up how this show is the first Marvel thing that feels like a TV show and it's because of this. If feels like this show has a writing room, looking to pack in as much as they can per episode. There's no feeling like the climax of the show is going to be 6 episodes in. Every episodes feels like a meal, instead of a meal cut into six pieces.

And this might be my favorite Marvel thing ever because in addition to the style, the great acting, the dialogue, what have you, these people feel real. And it feels like its doing something new. No one has made this particular experience feel so universal or at the same time dived so deep into it. It's pretty cool.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I brought up how this show is the first Marvel thing that feels like a TV show and it's because of this. If feels like this show has a writing room, looking to pack in as much as they can per episode. There's no feeling like the climax of the show is going to be 6 episodes in. Every episodes feels like a meal, instead of a meal cut into six pieces.

And this might be my favorite Marvel thing ever because in addition to the style, the great acting, the dialogue, what have you, these people feel real. And it feels like its doing something new. No one has made this particular experience feel so universal or at the same time dived so deep into it. It's pretty cool.

It helps that every actor save the DODC agent is a new face in the US.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Ms Marvel is my favorite superhero and is the reason I got back into reading superhero comics again for a while (I got bored of it again after constant dumb events) and I'm really happy this show is so good. I was worried and was honestly expecting it to be just okay at best but I'm so pleased with Iman Vellani and all the side characters are great.

I get giddy whenever I watch this show, her energy is so infectious!

Edit: Also does anyone have recommendations for Bollywood stuff I should watch if I'm interested in that whole scene? Does Cinema Discussion have a thread for this?

I've heard ALOT of good things about RRR. The action and general discussion cined thread can't stop talking about it!!!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
RRR's three hour runtime is a little intimidating.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Here's a take for you: the soundtrack to this show loving owns

They loving mentioned the Swet Shop Boys. I literally wooped when that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlYykSUXLk

Riz Ahmed, the coolest celebrity, is one of two guys (the other guy wrote Taco Bell Combination Pizza Hut)

might as well add it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

One thing I really appreciate about Iman Vellani is that she's "normal pretty." She looks like a person who would be going to a New Jersey high school. Like, how many times have we seen the "dorky/geek" girl and she's some Maxim Top 50 supermodel wearing glasses and slightly less stylish clothes? And it's all in service of the big "She's All That" reveal of "Whoa, she's actually beautiful and therefore has value."

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

live with fruit posted:

'If she's not guilty, why'd she run?"

It's the exact same actor from No Way Home.

I didn't know he was Damage Control. Also I didn't remember the actor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn Ms Marvel is good, I really hope they stick the landing because so far it is just blowing every other Marvel show out of the water. Iman Vellani is REALLY good and this is her first acting role!?!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Iman Vellani made a short 90 sec film about iron man in 2020

https://vimeo.com/553028181

And a short film called Pulse

https://vimeo.com/387177423

And a short called Requiem for Pandemic dedicated to Kevin Fiege

https://vimeo.com/402735227

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem