Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Then why are they the ones I want most huh???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the end of that list is scraping the barrel a bit

You're not hyped for the Diofield Chronicles???

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

stev posted:

I'm not holding out any hope for the bottom two being good, but there's potential there at least.

In TYOOL 2022 I still don't understand what Star Ocean is and why anyone plays it though.

Star Ocean had a really interesting premise and fun gameplay and then each game got progressively worse.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

stev posted:

I'm not holding out any hope for the bottom two being good, but there's potential there at least.

In TYOOL 2022 I still don't understand what Star Ocean is and why anyone plays it though.

There is no reason to play Star Ocean, it’s a bottom of the barrel jrpg series. Some people play it anyways because they are compelled to play every jrpg series

Hope that helps!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I had to experience the Ballad of EDGE MAVERKICK

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Giving knives to kids is badass.

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone bought me an AV once cause they didn't think kids could use knives

NikkolasKing posted:

My big brother got a hunting knife when he was around Hope's age.

Did you all learn nothing from Crack Stuntman, the voice behind Gunshaver on the Cheat Command Show?

Kidz Don't Play Wit' 2 Many Knives

ImpAtom posted:

To be clear he still has Jenova Cells and Mako Infusions. He is still effectively a SOLDIER, just not one who would have been a success if not for Zack dying and the shock making Cloud rebuild his fractured mind around him

Correct. Cloud is incredibly physically strong, he's built like a SOLDIER and that's why nobody questions it when he says he is.

It should also be noted that as he failed out of SOLDIER, Cloud did not actually have the Jenova cells or Mako infusion until after Sephiroth burned down Nibelheim and he and Zack were captured. At least as far as the original FF7 is concerned, I don't know if Remake changed that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Correct. Cloud is incredibly physically strong, he's built like a SOLDIER and that's why nobody questions it when he says he is.

It should also be noted that as he failed out of SOLDIER, Cloud did not actually have the Jenova cells or Mako infusion until after Sephiroth burned down Nibelheim and he and Zack were captured. At least as far as the original FF7 is concerned, I don't know if Remake changed that.

yeah, Cloud gets the works when Hojo has Zack and him

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Star Ocean had a really interesting premise and fun gameplay and then each game got progressively worse.

star ocean's basic premise kept me engaged until star ocean 3 revealed that actually the entire series had been lying to the player and the real premise was different and stupid

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That star ocean game literally has no date and it's halfway to june

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the end of that list is scraping the barrel a bit

DioField deserves a mention just because of how wild it is that Square Enix seems to be releasing (or potentially releasing) two brand new strategy/tactics RPGs in TYOOL 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The PS2 Star Ocean has by far the dumbest, most "gently caress you" twist and ending I've ever encountered in an RPG, maybe in any game

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Star Ocean peaked with SO2 unfortunately

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness was definitely a game I played.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Star Ocean peaked with SO2 unfortunately

It was also the first star ocean. The 2 and the prologue was a joke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stranger of paradise's loot treadmill is definitely Too Much but it's varied enough to give you an addictive reason to keep pushing forward

just this endless escalation of silly outfits

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah. In Nibelheim, he throws Sephy into the lifestream through sheer force of will.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

That star ocean game literally has no date and it's halfway to june

SE said they were going to announce stuff about it later this month, the 23rd off the top of my head.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. In Nibelheim, he throws Sephy into the lifestream through sheer force of will.

that's half Sephiroth's obsession. he got punked right after he decided to break bad by some reject who couldn't cut it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
OpenAI generates some high quality fan fiction

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Golbez is a punk rear end bitch who gets punked at the end by an old bitch

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Better writing than TAY at least.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I had to experience the Ballad of EDGE MAVERKICK

Why does nobody remember FATE LINEGOD? Edge and Maverick are at least real names.

And SO4 was more fun than 3 for me. I got to actually travel in space on a spaceship.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4 had generally tolerable combat unlike 3 which has the worst fighting system outside of like a Compile Heart RPG.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF3DS fixed it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

FF3DS fixed it

ff3ds made the combat even worse by loving up boss stats and not changing their scripting meaning every boss could just roll it's party wide hit they almost all had twice and just nuke you no response possible.

That remake is dogshit.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

ff3ds made the combat even worse by loving up boss stats and not changing their scripting meaning every boss could just roll it's party wide hit they almost all had twice and just nuke you no response possible.

That remake is dogshit.

Also turn order was basically random so the boss could go before your fastest dudes for no reason. Also they added a system that punishes you for changing jobs in a game where you are required to roll with specific jobs in specific areas. Just awful decisions all around.

FFIV DS was good though

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FFIV 3D has its flaws but the difficulty is 100% intentional and actually gave gimmicks to its bosses, like Luggage periodically inverting damage and healing to gently caress you up but also letting you kill him with Elixirs.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I've been thinking about how some FFs tend to focus on a particular concept in their encounter design.

3, nearly from end to end, is heals turn economy; a boss does a fixed amount of partywide damage per round and your comp is governed (until the endgame and exactly two people worth of endgame weapons without hyperleveling an OK or Karateka) by whether you want to bet that a single healer is enough to survive even boss goes last/boss goes first moments; otherwise it does overwhelming damage to a single target and your comp is governed by whether you want a dedicated Raiser for the dedicated Raiser.
5 is pretty obsessed with the idea of controlling damage focus; it seems like a majority of the bosses fall into the categories of "has a nasty counter", "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed at the same time", or "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed one by one".

Are there similar trends in others that I'm missing?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

Why does nobody remember FATE LINEGOD? Edge and Maverick are at least real names.

And SO4 was more fun than 3 for me. I got to actually travel in space on a spaceship.

Neither do you apparently; the character's name is Fayt Leingod

doos
Jan 1, 2015

People talk about SO3's Fayt Leingod, but fail to mention the absolute lad Cliff Fittir.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I remember Jacked Teddy, he had a move that was just Literally A Kamehameha.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ooooh the summons in FFXII are the big boss dudes that I remember from the Ivalice raids. Just got Belias after a rather attrition-y boss fight.

EDIT: LMAO is this a Force ghost? :allears:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 18, 2022

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mustached Demon posted:

You all know exactly where it'll end.

:hai: mithril mine

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Wrong thread :shobon:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Namnesor posted:

Neither do you apparently; the character's name is Fayt Leingod

Not sure if you're joking or not because the spelling is irrelevant, it's pronounced the same way. It was FaTe Linegod in Japanese but the localization spelled it wrong because I guess it was the early 2000s and bad spelling was cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vosslerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! :argh:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mandoric posted:

I've been thinking about how some FFs tend to focus on a particular concept in their encounter design.

3, nearly from end to end, is heals turn economy; a boss does a fixed amount of partywide damage per round and your comp is governed (until the endgame and exactly two people worth of endgame weapons without hyperleveling an OK or Karateka) by whether you want to bet that a single healer is enough to survive even boss goes last/boss goes first moments; otherwise it does overwhelming damage to a single target and your comp is governed by whether you want a dedicated Raiser for the dedicated Raiser.
5 is pretty obsessed with the idea of controlling damage focus; it seems like a majority of the bosses fall into the categories of "has a nasty counter", "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed at the same time", or "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed one by one".

Are there similar trends in others that I'm missing?

FFXIII is all about using mechanics to stagger the enemy. Then, FFXV was about using mechanics to stagger the enemy. After that was FF7R, which is about using mechanics to stagger the enemy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

X was built around dealing with each enemy's core gimmick. Had wakkas kind of customers, flans, etc. Bosses generally had their gimmicks to learn and overcome too.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

While I know "Colonies resisting their imperial occupiers" is a pretty common trope, it feels like parts of Stormblood were a nod to FFXII. In addition to the reused mobs (the chimeras and rabbits and a couple others I'm sure I missed and more I haven't seen yet).

Also add Monty Python and the Holy Grail to "Movies FFXII seems to reference". You know what part I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Everything in 14 is a nod to a previous game