Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't they just add a new subplot involving a new part of Vought with the Deep's subplot?

Crime Anal Tics had shown up before— Black Noir chilled down there creepily looking for info on Translucent in S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I mean Soldier Boy was famous in the late 70s. He's seen some poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mameluke posted:

Soldier Boy won't do poo poo to Homelander because he seems mainly interested in panicking about gay people and doing violence against women

Isn't it implied at some point that Soldier Boy was loving around with his sidekick? In addition to being a coked up celebrity who lived through the 60s, 70s, and 80s and everything that might've gone along with it - the stuff with Reiner certainly made it sound like they were all very much into drugs and "free love".

SB's reaction on the street seemed more like "huh, would you look at that" in the sense of being mildly surprised that homosexuality was so publicly visible and accepted than being offended or intolerant. Not to say he isn't a bigoted rear end in a top hat in some way shape or form but it's definitely low on his list of things to worry about.

The guy reacts more strongly to an ad for the Dawn of the Seven movie on the side of a bus than basically anything else.

https://youtu.be/27DKvR8CZs0

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 18, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tokin opposition posted:

Lol this loving thread is so bad at watching TV

It was clearly meant as gay panic, and the giant pink washing ad with mauve was meant to reinforce that

Then why didn’t he, uh, panic? Like he literally sees it, shrugs, and keeps walking.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't it implied at some point that Soldier Boy was loving around with his sidekick?

Butcher thought so, but Gunpowder basically refuted that and said the abuse was just hitting him.

SB also trusted his all-leather military uniform to a male publicist who boasts to strangers about loving Marlon Brando.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Mark my words SBs gonna do some hosed up poo poo and this'll be the next storm front isn't a Nazi moment.

Dude lasered his ex girlfriend to death who was literally chained up after she told him her actual opinion of him. Sounds like a real catch even if he is bi (which I will admit would be better than yet another hetero

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

Mark my words SBs gonna do some hosed up poo poo and this'll be the next storm front isn't a Nazi moment.

Dude lasered his ex girlfriend to death who was literally chained up after she told him her actual opinion of him. Sounds like a real catch even if he is bi (which I will admit would be better than yet another hetero

She also betrayed him leading decades of him being tortured and experimented on in the most hosed up ways possible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Avasculous posted:

Butcher thought so, but Gunpowder basically refuted that and said the abuse was just hitting him.

SB also trusted his all-leather military uniform to a male publicist who boasts to strangers about loving Marlon Brando.

Apparently that's gay now?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't it implied at some point that Soldier Boy was loving around with his sidekick? In addition to being a coked up celebrity who lived through the 60s, 70s, and 80s and everything that might've gone along with it - the stuff with Reiner certainly made it sound like they were all very much into drugs and "free love".

SB's reaction on the street seemed more like "huh, would you look at that" in the sense of being mildly surprised that homosexuality was so publicly visible and accepted than being offended or intolerant. Not to say he isn't a bigoted rear end in a top hat in some way shape or form but it's definitely low on his list of things to worry about.

The guy reacts more strongly to an ad for the Dawn of the Seven movie on the side of a bus than basically anything else.

https://youtu.be/27DKvR8CZs0

“He was a pedofile” does not mean that he is gay!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Behold the look of gay panic I guess.

He could still turn out to be a homophobic rear end in a top hat, but this is hardly the reaction you seemed to be talking about.

e: and what the hell, while I still have the program open, anyone want a gif from any of the episodes? That homelander strapon would make a good avatar

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 18, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

withak posted:

No way is Lindsey Graham tone deaf enough to guest star.

Wasn’t he in that lovely Zack Snyder movie

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Ackles' voice for Soldier Boy has deep gravitas to it. His short bit with Crimson Countess almost made me forget he's a huge douche bag. Maybe it's because he was also tortured for decades where Homelander's mirrored speech with Maeve didn't give me the same feeling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thread reaching Chernobyl levels of normal about the gay

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

“He was a pedofile” does not mean that he is gay!

Didn't realize the sidekick was that much younger but my bad definitely not the implication I meant to suggest.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

He could still turn out to be a homophobic rear end in a top hat, but this is hardly the reaction you seemed to be talking about.

e: and what the hell, while I still have the program open, anyone want a gif from any of the episodes? That homelander strapon would make a good avatar

Yea, I didn't get a gay panic mood off that so much as a "huh, well that's new". Hell if it's the same soldier boy who was in ww2, he could just be kinda surprised at a black guy and a white guy in love in public.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, I didn't get a gay panic mood off that so much as a "huh, well that's new". Hell if it's the same soldier boy who was in ww2, he could just be kinda surprised at a black guy and a white guy in love in public.

That's also how I read it. Same with the sikhs in turbans. Not hatred but some unfamiliarity that it's just out there in the open instead of behind closed doors like in his day. He was around during Blondie so he's seen some gay.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty sure that everyone in this show is an irredeemable sack of it by design.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

spacetoaster posted:

Translucent was an excellent father!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

victoria newman exploded congress

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sure Deep had some scenes in the Crime Analytics but the first action he took was to fire all the extras. Like, it'll be cheaper than their scenes in the first season? It's pretty silly for, y'know, Amazon to cheap out on that.

As Nero Danced posted:

Idk, yeah? He rolls his eyes, turns all the way away, and mouths something like "yeah right", all of which read as disgust to me. Plus that kind of matches with his attitude in the period videos. I doubt decades of Russian torture made him more empathetic

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 hours!)

soldier probably is homophobic, we know he's sexist, unless that changed during the torture. the story is heading in the 'we have become the bad guys' direction for butcher and hughie, and soldier boy needs to be a huge piece of poo poo for them teaming up with him to sell that

but that specific moment is all there is of it in this episode, and ackles acting does not read as disgust. that's not a disgust face that's a 'huh, weird. well all right i guess' expression.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think I missed something, do they explain why Soulja boy and Stormfront don’t age but Maeve and Countess do? I assumed they were frozen Captain America style or something but they bring it up like 3 times and make a point to say SB looked young before the tube. Does Homelander age?

Also agree with the others that this was the strongest episode, I think the boys are a lot more interesting than Homelander at this point and it’s no coincidence this ep was boys heavy. I like Anthony Starr but there’s not that much scenery left for him to chew.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mameluke posted:

I hope Ashley 2 gets an Ashley 3. I also love Colby Minifie's performance as Ashley 1 and she is an adorable person.

Does a Minifie imply the existence of larger Fies?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Starks posted:

I think I missed something, do they explain why Soulja boy and Stormfront don’t age but Maeve and Countess do? I assumed they were frozen Captain America style or something but they bring it up like 3 times and make a point to say SB looked young before the tube. Does Homelander age?

Also agree with the others that this was the strongest episode, I think the boys are a lot more interesting than Homelander at this point and it’s no coincidence this ep was boys heavy. I like Anthony Starr but there’s not that much scenery left for him to chew.

I assume not aging is a "power" just like strength or speed or anything else. Plenty of supes have multiple powers.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

pik_d posted:

I assume not aging is a "power" just like strength or speed or anything else. Plenty of supes have multiple powers.

Yeah that makes sense. I thought I missed some dialogue somewhere.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

i figure he has to if they haven't cleared it up by now. i think homelander is potentially supposed to be younger than his anthony starr, or at least we've to ignore that.

googling says he was born 'before 1994', but he didn't exist during the previous supe generations.

quote:

I like Anthony Starr but there’s not that much scenery left for him to chew.

good way of putting it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how MM's ex's new husband is even shittier this episode about his Homelander support.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lmao this episode has so many quotable lines

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lmao that A-Train is getting a better arc than the Falcon

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My take on the gay soldiers thing: It was just put in there to reinforce that SB is missing ~30 years of history. He doesn't have a particularly strong reaction, I imagine his cultural opinions aren't going to be a big plot point beyond "wow, times have changed" to avoid retreading the same ground as Stomrfront (and Blue Hawk). I do think his return will play into the angle of Vought as a defense company and the ongoing critique of the military industrial complex though.

I'm also happy that they found a compelling conflict for MM because he's a great character and it seemed like they didn't know what to do with him last season.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is starting to sound a lot like Stormfront is not a Nazi. Didn’t MM explicitly say Soldier Boy harassed a lot of black families back in the day? He is probably more bigoted towards non-supes than anyone we have come across other than Stormfront.

I can see Soldier Boy not wanting to fight Homelander, and very much being on his side, but Homelander’s ego won’t allow him to team up with someone that could beat him. If anything, Butcher is going to end up teaming up with Homelander to bring down Soldier Boy, since Homelander still wants to be king of the status quo, whereas Soldier Boy, who missed all the social change that happened during his imprisonment, will be all too eager to burn everything to the ground.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hugie not understanding that the entire reason Starlight loves him is because he had a purity uncorrupted by those around him, is predictably tragic.

I kinda feel it's on her for not expecting him to be affected by... anything that has happened to this point, to be honest.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

roomtone posted:

soldier probably is homophobic, we know he's sexist, unless that changed during the torture. the story is heading in the 'we have become the bad guys' direction for butcher and hughie, and soldier boy needs to be a huge piece of poo poo for them teaming up with him to sell that

but that specific moment is all there is of it in this episode, and ackles acting does not read as disgust. that's not a disgust face that's a 'huh, weird. well all right i guess' expression.

Looking at the same clip as you and I read it as disgust. Given the obviousness with which they signaled SF's racism after a few episodes, I doubt it'll be the only time they do it. The sneering, eyerolling style homophobia is very real and I've seen dudes do that IRL before then turning around and screaming a slur.

Starks posted:

Starks posted:

There's clearly a range of supe's powers. If we think about it from a writing persepctive, storm front was extremely dedicated to her nazi bullshit, so it would make sense that she doesn't age because she's stuck in the past. If there's some in-universe reason, maybe like in the comics (haven't read but going off of what's been post itt) different types of v give different power levels. so maybe 1940s V is stronger but more deathly than 2020 V or there's some different way of injecting V that makes you more powerful.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

alexandriao posted:

lmao this episode has so many quotable lines

yeah for all that I complain about this show this episode was really good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That was a really good episode. I really hope that Frenchie is okay though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

TyrantWD posted:

This is starting to sound a lot like Stormfront is not a Nazi. Didn’t MM explicitly say Soldier Boy harassed a lot of black families back in the day? He is probably more bigoted towards non-supes than anyone we have come across other than Stormfront.

I can see Soldier Boy not wanting to fight Homelander, and very much being on his side, but Homelander’s ego won’t allow him to team up with someone that could beat him. If anything, Butcher is going to end up teaming up with Homelander to bring down Soldier Boy, since Homelander still wants to be king of the status quo, whereas Soldier Boy, who missed all the social change that happened during his imprisonment, will be all too eager to burn everything to the ground.

The stormfront is not a nazi poster went ham after stormfront killed a bunch of black people in an apartment for funsies, not when she came back after thirty years and saw a black couple on the street and made a 'huh' expression.

Starks posted:

My take on the gay soldiers thing: It was just put in there to reinforce that SB is missing ~30 years of history.

It's this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hollismason posted:

That was a really good episode. I really hope that Frenchie is okay though.

His actor is credited until the end of the season so take from that what you will.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

Hugie not understanding that the entire reason Starlight loves him is because he had a purity uncorrupted by those around him, is predictably tragic.

I kinda feel it's on her for not expecting him to be affected by... anything that has happened to this point, to be honest.

I'm with Hughie on this aspect of things just now, it's the first time I've ever really even had an opinion on his character.

Everyone around him basically keeps telling him he's such a pure boy and should behave accordingly, but terrible things keep happening around him and he repeatedly gets used - I don't blame him for saying gently caress it and getting active. He's done his work with the system phase and it turned out to be a hilarious ruse. They have layered in some male inadequacy (must save my gf) and junkie notes (staring out the window high while kimiko is dying) to make it seem like he's wrong to do this, though.

I think I'm most curious about where this is all heading - because I suspect it's going to end up with Butcher and Hughie going 'too far' on something, causing some innocent deaths or taking joy in killing someone, whatever, and end up condemning that approach in favour of Starlight and MM who were tut tutting all along. It'll be interesting to see politically where it ends up, is the boys going to say look, no matter how violent and insane the conditions are, the only ethical approach is to play by the rules invented by the people who ignore them, or will it surprise me by not saying that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 18, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alan Smithee posted:

yah ashley's such a weasel and her actress is way good at selling it. At this point she kind of is Vought since either Homelander gets what he wants or is in over his head or everyone else is just a boring suit

Absolutely every actor is knocking it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jensen Ackles is a better actor than that, if they wanted him to be grossed out by a couple of smoochy dudes then he’d have let you know