Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is better call saul worth watching if i have only seen one episode of breaking bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

projecthalaxy posted:

Thats a good point actually. I don't know too much about the situation so the author had pretty much convinced me that its a Bad movie but I can see the metaphor

Its not good or bad. Its basically doing the same tropes Indian movies used to do when were were far less bloodthirsty regarding religion. ffs, getting off the train for an hour on sunday to watch Mahabharata on the national TV channel used to be a running gag in Indian society.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

i watched this while wasted so don't have specific examples but there were a couple spots where i had the opposite reaction, like "oh that was definitely tossed in there as red meat for modi people, they know what they're doing"

Nah, Indians are just religious in a way that seems really loving jarring when you look at it from a more irreligious western angle.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i watched every episode of breaking bad 20 mins after release and i loved the show i still cannot bring me to watch bcs because the very concept seems so grifty and cheap. i realize this is a personal problem

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Also, RRR isn't a Bollywood production. It is a Tollywood production so it's politics are going to be different. The BJP doesn't need movies to disseminate it's poison when it has multiple news channels foaming at the mouth asking for a race war.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

crepeface posted:

is better call saul worth watching if i have only seen one episode of breaking bad?

It's legitimately one of the best things on TV. It does start out slowly as more of a law show but the last few seasons are easily just as good as anything Breaking Bad did.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

oh my god wtf was the mighty ducks cartoon

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Zokari posted:

oh my god wtf was the mighty ducks cartoon

its a show about cartoon ducks playing hockey and saving the multiverse op

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

crepeface posted:

They do a lot of mythology stuff but it stands up on its own and is actually better.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, the hockey team is based on The Mighty Ducks cartoon through retroactive continuity

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

they made a whole cartoon series based on the name of a hockey team, not even the hockey team itself really

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Malleum posted:

its a show about cartoon ducks playing hockey and saving the multiverse op

they also have guns, like gun-type guns, and regularly get in shootouts

i always loved their guns because theyre the rare TALLGUN which i think was supposed to evoke the caliber / diameter of a hockey puck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zokari posted:

they made a whole cartoon series based on the name of a hockey team, not even the hockey team itself really

Also the mascot! IIRC they had a slight issue getting it on Disney+ since the hockey team still owns the rights and image of the main character, Wildwing Flashblade.

DoombatINC posted:

they also have guns, like gun-type guns, and regularly get in shootouts

i always loved their guns because theyre the rare TALLGUN which i think was supposed to evoke the caliber / diameter of a hockey puck

Pretty sure that's exactly the deal and they even fire puck-shaped projectile. The main character actually has a full on 'explosive puck' wrist gun that's basically a grenade launcher.

For some reason the regular human cop also has a laser gun. Ah, 90s cartoons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a good thing the 90s nanny state had a hardon for censoring cartoon guns. Imagine the casual levels of gun violence we'd have today if that went unchecked!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

crepeface posted:

yeah. breaking bad sucks.

I don't even love bcs that much but it's better than breaking bad

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1537118948692480000/photo/1

how can he be watching the film now in 2022. didnt it come out before he was born disney??? is this a loving joke to you???

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

crepeface posted:

why

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Got a free year of Apple TV+ and wow there's not a lot on there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1537118948692480000/photo/1

how can he be watching the film now in 2022. didnt it come out before he was born disney??? is this a loving joke to you???
What kind of rear end in a top hat wears a cowboy hat to a theater?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mantis42 posted:

For All Mankind, Pachinko, Ted Lasso

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat wears a cowboy hat to a theater?

You're missing the bigger picture. How did Woody watch this with Andy without knowing who Buzz is when he later got him as a toy? Why are the green aliens there if he got them only at the end of Toy Story? Why does the Buzz Lightyear toys have a completely different sounding voice when you hit their buttons?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

crepeface posted:

the breaking bad tie-in plots and prequel BB poo poo are some of the least interesting parts of BCS, so yes it should be fine.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I thought El Camino was decent, although overlong. Seeing more Robert Forster makes it worth it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thanks guys, i don't watch much TV but I'll stick BCS on the list for when I'm in the mood

why I've only seen the first ep of breaking bad? that first ep ended pretty well so I didn't feel the need for more. my sister also told me it got pretty cheesy so I didn't pursue it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zany, harebrained schemes are something bcs has that bb didn't

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jun 18, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god brandon arrested triumph the insult comic dog and/or bob smigel

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mantis42 posted:

You're missing the bigger picture. How did Woody watch this with Andy without knowing who Buzz is when he later got him as a toy? Why are the green aliens there if he got them only at the end of Toy Story? Why does the Buzz Lightyear toys have a completely different sounding voice when you hit their buttons?

The LGM we're associated with Buzz Light-year in the animated series that this thing is meant to memory hole.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

crepeface posted:

thanks guys, i don't watch much TV but I'll stick BCS on the list for when I'm in the mood

why I've only seen the first ep of breaking bad? that first ep ended pretty well so I didn't feel the need for more. my sister also told me it got pretty cheesy so I didn't pursue it

why start with the spinoff

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

zany, harebrained schemes are something bcs has that bb didn't
what about magnets?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

why start with the spinoff
it's what the internet is all over these days as the hot thing de jour, plus its still on, and everyone says its good whereas lots of people don't like bb. i don't think it's that weird to start with the spinoff since i think it stands alone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Unfortunately culture war is law now so you have to choose either bb or bcs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Unfortunately culture war is law now so you have to choose either bb or bcs
Walter white = trump
saul goodman = Obama

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

breaking bad kinda lagged in the middle of the second season so i lost interest. bcs seems pretty good from individual scenes i've seen over people's shoulders.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

josh04 posted:

breaking bad kinda lagged in the middle of the second season so i lost interest. bcs seems pretty good from individual scenes i've seen over people's shoulders.
when i rewatched bb a few years back i just skipped the second season

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

babypolis posted:

i mean the whole point of that plotline in Breaking Bad was that everyone had a good thing going, they all could have made their money and lived. and then walt ruins everything. no additional context was necessary

Gus was planning on wasting Walt either with the twins or by his own hand the second Gale was brought up to speed (heh). it's not entirely Walt's ego getting ruffled; it's wholly justified paranoia on his part.

BCD is good but gets wayyyyy up its own rear end with the Chekov's armory and the incessant flashbacks. All of the relevant information could be told mise en place, but Giligan just goes whole hog with the interminable flashbacks for characters we've already understood from BB. it's also really annoying to have plot armor for ridiculous things like Gus' lab and have characters like Lalo (well acted and hot as he is) just to justify throwaway lines from Saul in BB

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

War and Pieces posted:

The LGM we're associated with Buzz Light-year in the animated series that this thing is meant to memory hole.

It's lol that the cartoon actually comes off as where the Buzz Lightyear and Zurg of the movies come from, having accurate designs and depictions, while the new movie doesn't even bother having a Zurg that looks or acts recognisably like the toy in Toy Story 2

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
RRR is a film about how communist revolutionaries whipped the Brits and BJP politicians threatened Rajamouli over the portrayal of actual Maoist revolutionary Bheem in Muslim garb. I'd be pretty hesitant to take many strong stances on political undertones but "BJP pandering" seems like it has pretty easy counterpoints

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's lol that the cartoon actually comes off as where the Buzz Lightyear and Zurg of the movies come from, having accurate designs and depictions, while the new movie doesn't even bother having a Zurg that looks or acts recognisably like the toy in Toy Story 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kBEJjbSZE

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mantis42 posted:

Severance is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Spangly A posted:

RRR is a film about how communist revolutionaries whipped the Brits and BJP politicians threatened Rajamouli over the portrayal of actual Maoist revolutionary Bheem in Muslim garb. I'd be pretty hesitant to take many strong stances on political undertones but "BJP pandering" seems like it has pretty easy counterpoints

At least in the English translation bheem confirms that he isn't a Muslim its just a disguise though maybe I'm misremembering that.

Communism also definitely isn't mentioned and they both transform into hindu gods at the end, or maybe that's just rama.

I still liked it