Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

This has been your bi-annual reminder that RSD is tomorrow. Watch me not get up and go buy anything.

gently caress, I was actually thinking of going to the record store tomorrow, but I don't want to go for RSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

aren't there like four rsds per year now and this is number two?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

aren't there like four rsds per year now and this is number two?

I thought they revised it down to 2 for this year?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

There was one a month or two ago right ?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

If anyone is going out and wants to pick me up a copy of Hesitant Alien, I'd pay ya for the trouble. My local store's only getting a few copies. :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Virgil Vox posted:

There was one a month or two ago right ?

yeah, which i went to, then there's this, then Black Friday?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Why are there multiple? should be illegal

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CatBlack posted:

Are you saying that the big labels should just NOT make dump trucks full of cash by pawning off a bunch of overpriced garbage on record dealers?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CatBlack posted:

Pandemic crowd control was the reason given for the four times a year one: staggering the releases so that small shops wouldn't be overwhelmed with a flood of people. Now idk, apparently there's so little being released that the big local shop isn't bothering with timed tickets, just going to let 15 people into the area with RSD stuff at a time on a first come first served basis.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It was RSD today in Australia and I got in and got the Viktor Vaughn repress.

Well, technically. The stock didn't arrive in time but they let everyone buy their copy as they knew how many were coming, so I'll get it Monday, just stoked I got it at all tbh.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Record Store Days

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gotta risk my life to get that special edition Bruce Springsteen 7" reissue for the low, low price of $39.99.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Noob question here, my brand new records are extremely static, they crackle when I take them off the platter. I've got an old white zerostat that I use while holding the record and it helps a bit but not enough. How do I deal with this? The side unplayed always comes up with a tonne of dust and cat hair. My old records don't have this issue. Would switching to a cork from a rubber mat help?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

incoherent posted:

I was mirin my records on discogs and found a surf curse record spiked to trips in the last two years or so. I had to dig and found out they were partially me-too'd and were dropped by their record label.

So anyway, what horrors of profitability haunt your guys' collections? Difficulty: No (charles) manson.

Apparently the allegations were unfounded or retracted. They seem to be playing gigs and they played coachella...which wouldn't book em if they felt the situation was bad.

The first couple records I bought at a thrift shop were a pair of comedy records from well respected comedians I liked: Steve Martin and Bill Cosby

I tossed the Cosby record in the trash a few years back after I remembered I had it after the trial had started? gently caress that guy

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I think it’s mostly production delays this time.

I’m kinda interested in picking up life’s a riot an vaudeville villain but it’s a wait an see if anything shows up online for me this year

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Did my first bit of RSD queuing today. Turned up a couple of hours before the shop opened, probably 20 people in front of me? Definitely glad I didn't bother queuing overnight.

Picked up Viktor Vaughn and the Go! Team, and also a copy of 'The Score' by The Fugees just because it's rad, and also I had like £100 in Discogs sales randomly in the time I was stood in the queue, so why not?

Pretty pleased in general.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Megabound posted:

Noob question here, my brand new records are extremely static, they crackle when I take them off the platter. I've got an old white zerostat that I use while holding the record and it helps a bit but not enough. How do I deal with this? The side unplayed always comes up with a tonne of dust and cat hair. My old records don't have this issue. Would switching to a cork from a rubber mat help?

Clean new records before you play them, get a microfiber dust brush, and invest in static resistant sleeves.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

The first couple records I bought at a thrift shop were a pair of comedy records from well respected comedians I liked: Steve Martin and Bill Cosby

I tossed the Cosby record in the trash a few years back after I remembered I had it after the trial had started? gently caress that guy

He’s an evil person but those old bill Cosby records are funny and heartwarming.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Megabound posted:

in addition to what CPL said, it's worth getting anti-static inner sleeves. you can get them at pretty much all record stores in Brisbane. where did you go for RSD shopping?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Megabound posted:

Get one of those $10 micro fiber brushes and make sure it says in the reviews that it grounds you. Turn the record and pull the brush from center to edge, it should discharge all the static through your body to ground. Works for me at least.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I went to my local to buy the Pearl Jam RSD release because I'm basic like that. Got there like fifteen minutes after opening and you wouldn't have even known it was a RSD, just a few people cruising around. Also grabbed Dismemberment Plan's Emergency and I because why not. Now I'm having some vegetarian brunch at the local gay diner and will go for a bike ride to the art museum later. A banner day.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Barry posted:

I went to my local to buy the Pearl Jam RSD release because I'm basic like that. Got there like fifteen minutes after opening and you wouldn't have even known it was a RSD, just a few people cruising around. Also grabbed Dismemberment Plan's Emergency and I because why not. Now I'm having some vegetarian brunch at the local gay diner and will go for a bike ride to the art museum later. A banner day.

That's a solid day!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've been on a Sun Ra Arkestra bender for the last two days, I just loaded up Discogs and grabbed the Dumb Residents Bullshit for retail price 'cause there was no loving way I was getting up before 11. :v:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I ended up dropping by my local record store about 30 minutes after opening and there were no lines and still had pretty much everything in stock.

I was only really interested in a copy of Hesitant Alien, of which they still had 7 or 8 of the 9 copies they were allocated.

Spinning it right now while I fold some laundry.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bought that Viktor Vaughn reissue for RSD but also a battle damaged copy of Ahmad Jamal Trios ‘The Awakening’.

https://twitter.com/l0u13/status/1538216021382729728?s=21&t=MlEZmD50tEV3WeEHvCh5IQ

Disc sounds great, the cover needs some TLC but that’s ok, I got a long weekend and am caring for a bed ridden partner who just had knee surgery. So my schedule is clear.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m at my parents house, 5,000 miles away from mine, and have records in various piles based on how essential they are to my life. 180g releases are now the bane of my life when I have a 23kg luggage limit. I’m pretty sure this is what Sophie’s Choice was about without reading it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BigFactory posted:

He’s an evil person but those old bill Cosby records are funny and heartwarming.

as long as you don’t get one where he talks about Spanish fly

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I've been on a Sun Ra Arkestra bender for the last two days, I just loaded up Discogs and grabbed the Dumb Residents Bullshit for retail price 'cause there was no loving way I was getting up before 11. :v:

This Sun Rah cover album is really loving good.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

CaptainBeefart posted:

This Sun Rah cover album is really loving good.

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

in addition to what CPL said, it's worth getting anti-static inner sleeves. you can get them at pretty much all record stores in Brisbane. where did you go for RSD shopping?

Ty, just rocking horse as I could walk in. I got anti static sleeves last week and have a carbon fibre anti static brush, the one made by boundless.

I'll try cleaning today with some surfactant and hopefully that'll be the end of it and then buy a spin clean or similar if that works a treat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Megabound posted:

Ty, just rocking horse as I could walk in. I got anti static sleeves last week and have a carbon fibre anti static brush, the one made by boundless.

I'll try cleaning today with some surfactant and hopefully that'll be the end of it and then buy a spin clean or similar if that works a treat.

A Spin Clean works pretty well and is your best option if you can't afford a vacuum machine.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, after saying last night I wouldn't go to record store day, I ended up going to record store day. The weather was so nice, and I've been putting off going to Trader Joe's because it's been too hot out, so I decided to hit both.

I ended up getting the Record Store Day version of Ziggy Stardust. Then I picked up the new Perfume Genius, the 10 year anniversary of 151A by Kishi Bashi, and Innerspeaker by Tame Impala.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Incredibly excited to get the B&O Beogram 2400 back from the shop a day before Father’s Day! Total repairs came to $150. The veneer was peeling, so the tech painted black. It actually matches my Harman Kardon 430 receiver really well. I cleaned up the receiver myself. Really happy with how everything turned out. Thanks for all the advice and feedback!

Enjoy a few pictures of my half assed setup!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Vinyl manufacturing lead times are so lol right now. Loved having to send stuff in last week for our December release.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cleaned all my new vinyl in the sink using deionised water and photo-flo and my static issue is eliminated, thanks everyone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
One thing I've decided I dislike about some vinyls is when they don't label which side is which! Ok, I guess the order of songs on the album that you spent months or years working on doesn't matter after all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

z0331 posted:

I made a very foolish purchase today but it popped up for a decent price. I’m in love.

Old one was fine but it’s a very noticeable upgrade and it looks amazing.

All I need is to finish the cabinet I’m trying to build to replace the ikea thing we got for free.

Stewed on it for a while, but ended up spending more than I paid for my Marantz 2230 to buy a replica WC-22 walnut case. Just have to wait for shipping from Serbia now, but that'll give me time to clean up the 2230.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nihonniboku posted:

One thing I've decided I dislike about some vinyls is when they don't label which side is which! Ok, I guess the order of songs on the album that you spent months or years working on doesn't matter after all.

I hate it when vinyls do that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I've only ever seen this on new records, and it's stupid. My copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy needs a magnifying glass to tell which side is which (and there's 6 of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I installed a lamp right above my turntable for that exact reason. Reading the etchings is a million times easier now.