Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else noticed that there's room on the skill screen to equip way more than 4 skills? I'm guessing that'll be one of the camp upgrades in the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One of the pop-ups say they replenish every time you advance the story, which I’m guessing is the main way to get them. Training gives a shitload of class exp and activities seem to be the big drivers of support points, so they look like they’re balanced by being limited.

Yeah, I think they're going for less common more impactful downtime activities, which is good, because I was not looking forwards to 8+ dining conversions in between every battle again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Eimi posted:

Just having a non mission way to get support is super nice. Granted I think they got rid of skill sharing in general, but if they didn't you will be VERY thankful you don't need to do hundreds of missions with whoever has the astra equivalent to share to your entire army. :shepicide:

I thought someone earlier said there is skill sharing, unless you mean like passive battle skills and not active moves.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought someone earlier said there is skill sharing, unless you mean like passive battle skills and not active moves.

Yeah I mean passives. They changed a lot of the smaller systems up a lot. FEW your build came almost entirely from passives.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Golden Wildfire Characters from best to worst in my own opinion:

Shez
Claude
Lorenz
Marianne
Raphael
Ignatz/Shamir
Leonie
Hilda
Lysithea

Of note, I can't say anyone of them are quite bad, but some of them have more useful abilities than others.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shez

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I suspect Lysithea will get pretty strong once she's in higher tier classes. Mages seem to scale harder than a lot of the melee.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I am going to use my favourites

Everyone is my favourite

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mokinokaro posted:

I suspect Lysithea will get pretty strong once she's in higher tier classes. Mages seem to scale harder than a lot of the melee.

Quite likely, however, this rating of Lysithea is mostly based on her unique capabilities, like her unique action, which I'm actually rather disappointed with.

Either way, as this is based on what we have available in the demo, it could change once we get the full game to play with, but Lorenz's Sheik-esque shield ability is going to be rather hard to top at the moment.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I cant for the life of me play magic in this game, staying back just doesnt fit me and i almost died as monica lol

Shes a cool character tho, love her

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Folt The Bolt posted:

Quite likely, however, this rating of Lysithea is mostly based on her unique capabilities, like her unique action, which I'm actually rather disappointed with.

Either way, as this is based on what we have available in the demo, it could change once we get the full game to play with, but Lorenz's Sheik-esque shield ability is going to be rather hard to top at the moment.
Lysithea's unique skill is very funny when you have her in a class that has more moves that generate knockback. I experimented with her in pegasus knight and she essentially used the slew of corpses she generated to carpet bomb everyone else

mage attacks just dont have as much knockback, is all

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaziken386 posted:

Lysithea's unique skill is very funny when you have her in a class that has more moves that generate knockback. I experimented with her in pegasus knight and she essentially used the slew of corpses she generated to carpet bomb everyone else

mage attacks just dont have as much knockback, is all

I found that Lysithea can do effortless loops by spamming the fire blast -> ZR vacuum -> fire blast -> ZR vacuum etc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Two things I've found that may be useful:

In the "unit guide" option, there's a little tutorial screen on the middle tab that has a little video that showcases their unique action ability. You can hit Y on this screen to get a guide to each class, which explains the class' unique combat abilities, like how holding down X after a strong attack as a mage lets you add an element to their machine gun attack, or what those little sword or fist icons some classes generate do.

E: this window can also be accessed by pressing L+X in battle! convenient!

Elemental effects stack to some extent. I haven't found a lot of use cases so far, but a big one is that Edelgard has an ability that adds fire to all attacks, and the mage's YYYX attack is a small fire AoE, which adds up to mage Edelgard's YYYX attack being five explosions with a huge radius. Presumably Claude and Dimitri can do similar things with the other strong mage attacks.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Golden Wildfire Characters from best to worst in my own opinion:

Shez
Claude
Lorenz
Marianne
Raphael
Ignatz/Shamir
Leonie
Hilda
Lysithea

Of note, I can't say anyone of them are quite bad, but some of them have more useful abilities than others.

Lorenz's special ability seems to make him completely invincible. As long as you keep mashing the attack buttons, he'll parry any and all incoming attacks, including arrows and magic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SolarFire2 posted:

Lorenz's special ability seems to make him completely invincible. As long as you keep mashing the attack buttons, he'll parry any and all incoming attacks, including arrows and magic.

Taking a hit while he has a full gauge dumps your gauge and nulls the attack, so as long as you have something that isn't blocking to smack and build gauge he's functionally invulnerable, yeah. It's not 100% foolproof against officers unless you use a weapon art because you don't build gauge on blocked hits as far as I can tell.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I decided to do the Blue Eagles route next. I liked almost all the Black Eagles people right away, they all seemed neat, but man Blue Lions just feels like it's full of the dullest nobodies. I guess Ashe is kind of cool, he hasn't really done anything but he seems like a good kid with his heart in the right place, and Annette is pretty good too. I do like Sylvain, but I'm playing male Shez, it's possible I'd have a much different opinion of him if I was playing female Shez.

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

And like yeah, the rest of Blue Lions are just boring and I can't even be bothered to remember their names. What a massive step backwards from how cool Black Eagles are.

Defiance Industries posted:

If I can just have Felix walk straight forward and massacre everything in front of him then it's an accurate retelling of 3H

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm waffling between playing BL or BE first. GD is definitely going to be the second route I play no matter what since I expect it to be the most divergent and a good breather between the other two routes.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
preload has started it seems. maybe data miners will be able to tell us if the game will actually require multiple playthroughs or what ng+ has in store for us.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to do the Blue Eagles route next. I liked almost all the Black Eagles people right away, they all seemed neat, but man Blue Lions just feels like it's full of the dullest nobodies. I guess Ashe is kind of cool, he hasn't really done anything but he seems like a good kid with his heart in the right place, and Annette is pretty good too. I do like Sylvain, but I'm playing male Shez, it's possible I'd have a much different opinion of him if I was playing female Shez.

Huh, I like all the ones you didn't mention, and could take or leave the ones you did. Except Sylvain, dude sucks, but he is less creepy to She'z than he was in Three Houses, I'll grant him.

But yeah all houses are a step down from the Black Eagles; it's a tough competition.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Black Eagles are theatre kids, it's where all the personalities go.

Blue Lions are a sports club, but some kind of fancy sport like lacross.

Golden Deer is obviously band camp.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Twelve by Pies posted:

Blue lions is the dating sim crew dropped right into a srpg.

Dimitri = strong, good man with a dark and troubled past. But a gentle female touch can fix him
Felix = Sasuke Uchiha. Don’t cut your hand on the edge. Jerk but he’s got a heart of gold
Sylvain = flirty fuckboy who ends up settling down
Dedue = Dedue
Ashe = Soft boii with a petty criminal past and knight-and-princess fantasy
Ingrid = straightest warrior woman in Fodlan
Mercedes = Ara ara big sis
Annette = you know what’s up with her, you like her

There’s a reason why the black eagles are favourites for queer people and blue lions are favourites for straight women

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Who would the Golden Deer be for in that comparison?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Deltasquid posted:

Dimitri = strong, good man with a dark and troubled past. But a gentle female touch can fix him
Felix = Sasuke Uchiha. Don’t cut your hand on the edge. Jerk but he’s got a heart of gold
Dedue = Dedue

There’s a reason why the black eagles are favourites for queer people and blue lions are favourites for straight women

I think that makes the Golden Deer a LA high school drama:

Claude: rich boy with mysterious past set to take his father’s place
Hilda: rich mean girl with no ambition and no desire to get any
Marianne: rich girl with mental health issues and a dark side with no friends
Lorentz: rich mean boy rival who everyone hates
Lysithea: rich girl with a tragic disease
Raphael: poor dumb ripped orphan athlete with a heart of gold who does everything for his younger sister who he takes care of
Ignatz: poor boy whose father wants him to be a big businessman while all he wants to do is make things
Leonie: highly ambitious poor girl who has to do everything just to be on the same tier as the rich kids
Byleth: probably too young to be in charge of teenagers teacher who has inappropriate relationship with students

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

DC Murderverse posted:

I think that makes the Golden Deer a LA high school drama:

Claude: rich boy with mysterious past set to take his father’s place
Hilda: rich mean girl with no ambition and no desire to get any
Marianne: rich girl with mental health issues and a dark side with no friends
Lorentz: rich mean boy rival who everyone hates
Lysithea: rich girl with a tragic disease
Raphael: poor dumb ripped orphan athlete with a heart of gold who does everything for his younger sister who he takes care of
Ignatz: poor boy whose father wants him to be a big businessman while all he wants to do is make things
Leonie: highly ambitious poor girl who has to do everything just to be on the same tier as the rich kids
Byleth: probably too young to be in charge of teenagers teacher who has inappropriate relationship with students

Except neither Hilda nor Lorenz are 'mean.'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Dedue = Dedue

Ingrid is a straight up otome heroine. Three childhood friends of assorted flavors, a guy with a tragic past who would treat you like a princess, and a tough but sweet gentle giant. Annette and Mercedes are your best friends who might be your rival or end up dating someone else.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Annette is the protagonist of her own slice-of-life thing. Like, just imagine her running late for class with toast in her mouth: it’s a perfect fit

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I like all the ones you didn't mention, and could take or leave the ones you did. Except Sylvain, dude sucks, but he is less creepy to She'z than he was in Three Houses, I'll grant him.

But yeah all houses are a step down from the Black Eagles; it's a tough competition.

Sylvain in Hopes actively talks about how he's trying to be a better person than he was years ago. Watching Felix and Dimitri be thrust into rulership where every decision could drat hundreds or thousands, and how it weighed on them made him reconsider how he wanted to be. And he chose to strive to be able to be a boon to his friends.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Felix is the edgelord protagonist of a mid aughts action game until he gets out crazied by Dmitri

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really liked the blue lions playthrough and got a lot of lols out of King Edgelord

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

Felix is the edgelord protagonist of a mid aughts action game until he gets out crazied by Dmitri

Yeah that's something that would probably make more sense to me if I played Three Houses. Dmitri's uncle keeps going on about how "You're not human, you shouldn't even be able to feel emotions" and I don't understand any of it. Someone on discord said it's a bit of a twist at the end of chapter 1 of the first game but fortunately didn't give any more information about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Three Hopes goes into it more in the full version though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SolarFire2 posted:

Except neither Hilda nor Lorenz are 'mean.'

She is a little racist at first.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

KittyEmpress posted:

Sylvain in Hopes actively talks about how he's trying to be a better person than he was years ago. Watching Felix and Dimitri be thrust into rulership where every decision could drat hundreds or thousands, and how it weighed on them made him reconsider how he wanted to be. And he chose to strive to be able to be a boon to his friends.

huh, good on him

three hopes is really pulling all the stops

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

its funny that he gets compared to sasuke, because his three hopes design is really a dead ringer for itachi

red eyes*, perpetual tired lines on his face, and hair pulled back but with just a few strands hanging in front of the eyes to frame the face. thats an uchiha, babey

e: *yes i know his eyes are technically orange, but the lighting of the 3D models makes them look red

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I only played Three Houses for like 10 hours because the amount of downtime between combat missions made me want to die and the story had zero interesting hooks. Love musou games though and am enjoying this, but I can't tell what the deal is storywise -- is it a sequel to Three Houses or more of an alternate universe using the same characters? And is there any good resource for catching up on the Three Houses story if it is a sequel?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I only played Three Houses for like 10 hours because the amount of downtime between combat missions made me want to die and the story had zero interesting hooks. Love musou games though and am enjoying this, but I can't tell what the deal is storywise -- is it a sequel to Three Houses or more of an alternate universe using the same characters? And is there any good resource for catching up on the Three Houses story if it is a sequel?

We don't actually know yet but smart money is on it being a sort of Time Travel sequel that changes things a lot like Age of Calamity was for Breath of the Wild.

Especially since Byleth, the protagonist from 3 Houses, has time travel powers and seems to have some goal/agenda that hasn't been revealed in the demo yet.

It definitely seems to assume you've already played 3 Houses though with how quickly it glosses over establishing any of the characters or even really a lot of the set up to get to the divergence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's an alternate universe. The Ashen Demon was the original game's protagonist and Shez McShezpants never appeared in the original.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's an alternate universe.

Okay, cool. I like how things actually happen in this game instead of just loving around with bandits for a million years

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Does Shez have a last name or can I just call them "Shez Q. Fire Emblem" like I do with every other FE character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does Shez have a last name or can I just call them "Shez Q. Fire Emblem" like I do with every other FE character?

As far as my wife and I are concerned, their last name is Tryleth.