Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

There’s also a historical flip in crime procedural stuff. Most stuff early on was defense attorney drama and then it became prosecutor city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aside from Perry Mason what old shows were about defense attorneys?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Perry Mason what old shows were about defense attorneys?

Matlock.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

To Kill a Mockingbird

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Westerns love cops

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Hays Codes had roots in the 1920s and one of the major parts of the codes was "don't let the bad guys win and don't make the cops look bad" so the idea that dragnet was a sea change is off the mark imo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spoeank posted:

The Hays Codes had roots in the 1920s and one of the major parts of the codes was "don't let the bad guys win and don't make the cops look bad" so the idea that dragnet was a sea change is off the mark imo

i'm pretty sure the entire idea came from like, a single tweet thread that everyone just accepted was truth even though it was probably just one guy going off about a show he doesn't like

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/AvatarNews_/status/1537955689322016768

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I want to thank you idiots for reminding me of the most 90's of defense attorney TV shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAzKAyZ5so

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Alaois posted:

i'm pretty sure the entire idea came from like, a single tweet thread that everyone just accepted was truth even though it was probably just one guy going off about a show he doesn't like

Yeah I mean I'm not disputing copaganda and its role in twisting brains but if someone watches dragnet and loves cops after not already liking cops they have baby brains. There's just a large portion of this population who doesnt care either way, which comes down as cop loving.

This goes for poo poo like criminal minds too. When I see some freak pretending like they overdosed on fentanyl I don't go "drat I believe him because Dr Spencer Reid is such a nice guy"

Basically if society wasn't already trained to love cops then dragnet wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

incidentally, I watched the original Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 yesterday, what a phenomenal movie

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
loving finally find out what happened with Zuko's mom!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

loving finally find out what happened with Zuko's mom!

We did!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

huh, i didn't know Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru worked on those comics

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have never watched a single moment of Avatar.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have never watched a single moment of Avatar.

You can change this!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

When I see some freak pretending like they overdosed on fentanyl I don't go "drat I believe him because Dr Spencer Reid is such a nice guy"

Late to this but being local KCTV really plays up their investigative reporting and has for years as though it's very good. And it's often crap like this where investigating means 'let's have the cops tell us a story and not look an inch deeper into it.' Our intrepid investigative reporter here couldn't pick up a phone an call a single medical professional. Or a single junkie for that matter, both would know the score.

I mean that's a problem in a whole lot of media/almost everywhere, but they're over the top terrible about this it seems.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Looks like some non canon non animated source to old Rinaldo :colbert:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

You can change this!

I watched a compilation of all the jokes Toph made about being blind. They were quite funny

That and the live action movie are the only avatar I've seen

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pre-911 cop stuff included die hard, beverly hills cop, 48 hours, robocop obviously, judge dredd!, fletch, time cop, in the heat of the night, witness, all the jackie chan police story movies... tv shows were legion, there's TJ Hooker, nypd blue, miami vice, kojak, starsky and hutch, magnum pi, cagney and lacey, hawaii 5-0, 21 jump street, chips, hill street blues, sledgehammer, police squad, it goes on and on and on and on.

I think it's fair to say that cop movies and shows pre-911 were all over the map, some were absurdly pro-police, some ambivalent, and some are thinly-veiled anti-cop screeds. Probably most of them are just using cops as a premise to shovel the typical drama show procedural fare.

I forgot barney miller. Does 48 count? There's a bunch of british ones, like inspector morse.

Private detective shows are often cop-adjacent, and often have portrayed the cops as bungling at best, or actively evil at worst. I think those should count too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Yeah I mean I'm not disputing copaganda and its role in twisting brains but if someone watches dragnet and loves cops after not already liking cops they have baby brains. There's just a large portion of this population who doesnt care either way, which comes down as cop loving.

This goes for poo poo like criminal minds too. When I see some freak pretending like they overdosed on fentanyl I don't go "drat I believe him because Dr Spencer Reid is such a nice guy"

Basically if society wasn't already trained to love cops then dragnet wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

I wasn't trying to say that Dragnet personally convinced a ton of people that cops are actually nifty, just that pre-shows like Dragnet most people's opinions on cops was based on them acting as brutal enforcers of capital. Doing poo poo like beating the poo poo out striking miners, brutalizing racial minorities, evicting people from their homes because it's the Great Depression, not actually solving crimes (because cops as an institution have never been actually effective at doing that). But then you start having these shows were cops are solving crimes and it's part of a push towards rehabilitating their image. Hayes code didn't let you show cops being evil, but most movies featuring them aren't particularly sympathetic, they tend to obstacles for the protagonist to overcome. I was being a bit glib when I said people "loving hated cops" before Dragnet, but it was the start of public opinion gradually turning to the side of cops instead of being apathetic or antagonistic.

Dragnet did receive official commendations from actual contemporary police departments for increasing the public's esteem of police officers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't trying to say that Dragnet personally convinced a ton of people that cops are actually nifty, just that pre-shows like Dragnet most people's opinions on cops was based on them acting as brutal enforcers of capital. Doing poo poo like beating the poo poo out striking miners, brutalizing racial minorities, evicting people from their homes because it's the Great Depression, not actually solving crimes (because cops as an institution have never been actually effective at doing that). But then you start having these shows were cops are solving crimes and it's part of a push towards rehabilitating their image. Hayes code didn't let you show cops being evil, but most movies featuring them aren't particularly sympathetic, they tend to obstacles for the protagonist to overcome. I was being a bit glib when I said people "loving hated cops" before Dragnet, but it was the start of public opinion gradually turning to the side of cops instead of being apathetic or antagonistic.

Dragnet did receive official commendations from actual contemporary police departments for increasing the public's esteem of police officers.

again, is this based on literally anything other than Some Guy's Twitter Thread

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

again, is this based on literally anything other than Some Guy's Twitter Thread

It might be based on this one Cinema Discusso poster's 100+ episode podcast about how The Andy Griffith Show is responsible for all of America's ills.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bitcoin was briefly below 19k this morning

still hovering below 20.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It it is hovering just abovebelow $19.2.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Late to this but being local KCTV really plays up their investigative reporting and has for years as though it's very good. And it's often crap like this where investigating means 'let's have the cops tell us a story and not look an inch deeper into it.' Our intrepid investigative reporter here couldn't pick up a phone an call a single medical professional. Or a single junkie for that matter, both would know the score.

I mean that's a problem in a whole lot of media/almost everywhere, but they're over the top terrible about this it seems.

The “media as stenographer” poo poo is really out of hand.

My favorite part of that story is that they gave him 5 rounds. Those little naloxone kits that cops carry are usually super concentrated and are 4mg. So that dummy got like 20mg naloxone. Nasally. Which is insane.

For reference, most actual overdoses I run take 2mg nasally to get them breathing again. Maybe 4mg if they get a big slug of fentanyl in their heroin. Usually I just give them 1mg intramuscularly and just ventilate them until they breathe again. :shrug:

If 4mg doesn’t do it, I assume it’s something else and move on. Too much narcan can cause flash pulmonary edema too, so I do a fair bit of stern-talking to those jail dorks who mag dump narcan on every seizure or medical emergency in their care.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

This house was built, presumably, on spec recently on a golf course in town. The real estate market in my city is ridiculous and everything generally sells in under a week, and this has been on the market for months now:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2055-Woods-Rd-Verona-WI-53593/102960394_zpid/

This link will take you to the 3D tour:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2055-Woods-Rd-Verona-WI-53593/102960394_zpid/?mmlb=p,34

There you can see amazing things such as:

• The decision to have the porch and deck face the road and the other houses, instead of any of the other directions that have views of the trees and the golf course
  • Gigantic ugly freestanding fireplaces instead of built-ins
  • Mismatched washer/dryer
  • Completely unfinished utility room
  • A complete bottom-of-the-barrel-quality aesthetic on the bottom level

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ridiculous is relative because that $/sq ft is not bad at all.

e although those fireplaces do stand out. Wow. Brutal choice. But the house overall has potential, just gotta let someone who knows what theyre doing have their way with it. Looks like a cool property overall when you take the land into account. My biggest gripe is the floors absolutely do not match the rest of the house though - gotta lay down some nice tile if we're nitpicking but overall that house is no groverhaus cmon

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 18, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a fixer upper for sure

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ridiculous is relative because that $/sq ft is not bad at all.

e although those fireplaces do stand out. Wow. Brutal choice. But the house overall has potential, just gotta let someone who knows what theyre doing have their way with it. Looks like a cool property overall when you take the land into account. My biggest gripe is the floors absolutely do not match the rest of the house though - gotta lay down some nice tile if we're nitpicking but overall that house is no groverhaus cmon

Normally I would agree with you if this was a house that had been built decades ago and seen various upgrades and renovations over time with no unifying theme. But for them to AIM for that quality level as new construction is just baffling.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh I completely glossed over that being a new build. Like new new? How do the floors look so bad then?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1537981106762330112

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Grittybeard posted:

Joey's from Tennessee right? Play up the southern accent and sayings as much as possible.

Congrats Joey!

I did this when I was working in Germany sometimes and I must say it worked quite well. Also everybody goes ‘Tennessee? Jack Daniels!’ when you tell them where you’re from.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In Munich there's a bar that worships American Bourbon for some reason. They have this special display case for Woodford Reserve which is just an okay bourbon I don't get it.

yes the bar is called Pussers lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/barstoolbigcat/status/1538176197586190337?s=21&t=lPQvpTE5Jbhd0JsxVa7yfA

lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m finishing my Sportster dirt tracker build and the suspension is very tall and I am very not and this will eventually happen to me but with a 700 pound motorcycle and I WILL cry.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God the cameo and credit in The Boys S3E5 is incredible.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Samadhi posted:

This house was built, presumably, on spec recently on a golf course in town. The real estate market in my city is ridiculous and everything generally sells in under a week, and this has been on the market for months now:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2055-Woods-Rd-Verona-WI-53593/102960394_zpid/

This link will take you to the 3D tour:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2055-Woods-Rd-Verona-WI-53593/102960394_zpid/?mmlb=p,34

There you can see amazing things such as:

• The decision to have the porch and deck face the road and the other houses, instead of any of the other directions that have views of the trees and the golf course
  • Gigantic ugly freestanding fireplaces instead of built-ins
  • Mismatched washer/dryer
  • Completely unfinished utility room
  • A complete bottom-of-the-barrel-quality aesthetic on the bottom level

The kitchen has 2 sinks, and one is on the island by itself (with the dishwasher) while the stove/oven is against the wall. Such an odd choice.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Story time!

Background: My wife is about 13 weeks pregnant now with twins. Boy and girl. As far as names go we’re leaning towards going with Jaime and Cersei since game of thrones names are so hot right now. This is absolutely a joke we aren’t that dumb.

Anyway, we’re out camping with some friends and my wife asks me if I brought the miralax. Apparently constipation is a big symptom of pregnancy. We go back to the van and I tell her where it is. She pulls it out and says ‘yeah I usually put this in my coffee in the morning.’ I thought that was weird because I’ve always thought it was a kinda gross tasting liquid based on what I’d heard from colonoscopy stories. I guess that’s the difference between exlax and miralax being a tasteless powder. I make a crack about how she turbocharged her coffee, then immediately remembered what happened to me easier that week.

I woke up a couple days earlier and went to let the dogs out and I noticed she’d left behind a cup of coffee, ready to go. I sent her a snap and said something along the lines of ‘haha pregnancy brain totally forget?’ She said ‘whoops yeah. Go ahead and have it.’ I drank it and proceeded to poo poo my brains out later that day, thinking I ate some bad fruit. It got so bad I texted my buddy ‘god drat I just got so close to making GBS threads myself. Thought it was a fart but had a lot of heat behind it. Like waddle to the bathroom check your undies heat. Closest I’ve come to making GBS threads myself in over a decade.’ It wasn’t until the camping trip a couple days later that I realized my wife had poisoned me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lmao owned