Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grimes blames everything on Homer rather than the people with actual power and agency and in general acts incredibly bitter and entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grimes blames everything on Homer rather than the people with actual power and agency and in general acts incredibly bitter and entitled.

He gets there to be a VP and immediately gets demoted in favor of a dog and is not mad at Burns. It's great. I know people like that, very true to life

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

PhazonLink posted:

oh was about to ask if he voiced himself.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/At_Long_Last_Leave 2012 Feb? So he would then go to the embassy Aug of that year. (and quickly annoy the Ecuador sooo much they evoke his wifi access and make him live in a broom closet)

iirc this was when people still thought he was a good guy and not a Russian tool.

America sucks more

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is, from Grimes' point of view, Homer does nothing, and gets rewarded constantly, and gets to coast through life in his 'mansion'. It would be insanely frustrating to the guy that worked for his titles and whatever, and gets nothing for it. He's in a position where he feels like he should have earned something, but didn't. And Homer got the perfect life handed to him. Frank Grimes is a cautionary tale about the people at work you should stay far the hell away from. Or maybe I've been working in offices filled with unstable boomers for too long.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just burnt through season 9 and I had seen the Grimes episode during 8 and it was extremely relatable, I got why he loving lost it. Like I would want to kill Burns, but Homer existing would be very upsetting, and him just desperately wanting you to like him would make it worse. Just a nice oaf who things work out for.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My lovely grandparents used to reward one kid to upset the other and it loving worked and I haven't seen my aunt in 20 years.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Outside of the deconstructive element, it's just plain funny.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

simpsons episodes by the dumbass goon: grimes is a nice man and gets along with the protagonist homer. when his promotion is stolen by a dog he correctly surmises it as late stage capitalism and does a praxis with bart

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So what is this thread's up/down on the Frank Grimes episode, because it's apparently considered "controversial" rather than "great" as it should be

Absolute top tier. Love Grimes running towards the silo for no reason before it explodes. And Homer ramming his car and not noticing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Been said that Superintendent Chalmers about the one regular character who can function both inside and outside of Springfield, while Grimes is an example of someone who can't. Funny thing is that does highlight the subtle thing that while Chalmers does have his own breaking points, he also knows when to just roll with it and not raise a fuss. Like the entire joke of Steamed Hams.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So what is this thread's up/down on the Frank Grimes episode, because it's apparently considered "controversial" rather than "great" as it should be

Grimesy was an rear end in a top hat.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I never like Homer's Enemy for the reason that it seemed like it was trying to say *something* but never really stuck the landing for me. I've heard it said many times that it's about "life isn't fair" or "avoid these people" or "don't be an rear end in a top hat to assholes" and "the Simpsons isn't real" and a bunch of other weird theories. It sort of felt like a weirdly vindictive episode at its core, which is a trait that the golden years rarely hit on. Sometimes the writers would do would stuff that seemed out of step, which is why I also don't like the mad mad mad mad world and softball episode very much as well. It feels like the writers were interjecting their own pet topics into the show for some reason and it felt forced.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Homer at the Bat is easily all time Top 5

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The last gag in Homer's Enemy just isn't funny enough to end on

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The last gag in Homer's Enemy just isn't funny enough to end on

Eh, I liked it. A nice final contrast of dumb sitcom humor (“CHANGE THE CHANNEL MARGE! *snore*”) and the grim reality of the situation (Grimes’ coffin getting lowered).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The cable stealing ep is such an obnoxious early episode (still funny of course), preachy lisa is annoying enough but it's preachy christian lisa.
Stealing from your boss?? Stealing cable?? Oh noooo.

I guess it's this sitcom kinda cliche where like, the "truth" is the most important thing. Like Marge giving up the chance to gently caress over Burns for a million bucks when Bart gets hit by a car, or when Lisa doesnt want her underfunded school to get money because I CHEAT CHEAT CHEATED (i love that one since they're completely ready for her pointless stand and hoodwink her)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do get it with Marge at least tho since it waaaaas perjury

P.s. still not too late to make a whole album of jon lovitz covering the carpenters. Come on reality.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lisa definitely should have kept Burns' money but at least that episode ends on a pretty great gag

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Eh, I liked it. A nice final contrast of dumb sitcom humor (“CHANGE THE CHANNEL MARGE! *snore*”) and the grim reality of the situation (Grimes’ coffin getting lowered).

It's what Grimes deserved.

The episode doesn't really work like what I think the writers were going for because Homer is, apart from eating a dude's lunch once, basically the nicest and most empathetic he's ever been in the series. Grimesy doesn't come across as an ordinary person in an insane world, he comes off as a petulant rear end in a top hat. It's like those early Bugs Bunny cartoons that suck because instead of being provoked by Elmer trying to shoot him or whatever, Bugs goes out of his way to torment a guy who hasn't done anything.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 18, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The episode doesn't really work like what I think the writers were going for because Homer is, apart from eating a dude's lunch once, basically the nicest and most empathetic he's ever been in the series. Grimesy doesn't come across as an ordinary person in an insane world, he comes off as a petulant rear end in a top hat. It's like those early Bugs Bunny cartoons that suck because instead of being provoked by Elmer trying to shoot him or whatever, Bugs goes out of his way to torment a guy who hasn't done anything.

I think this post pretty well captures my feelings on that episode.

Yeah it's got some good gags and jokes, but I would never consider it a top-tier "Simpsons episode" on the strength of those jokes alone. The meta element is just too intrusive, and it feels less like the show is mocking Homer than like it's mocking me for finding him funny.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bart vs Australia is still the best episode of all time.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Brother From Another Series you gently caress

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Grimes episode is great commentary on the ridiculousness of the cartoon world they've created, and has a lot of great gags in general, but people whose brains have been broken by twitter watch it and just get angry at Grimey's false consciousness. (you're not supposed to like him. If he was likable the episode would be too mean. hth)

The analysis of it has become a real "cow tools" situation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Moon Monster posted:

:hmmyes:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Moon Monster posted:

The Grimes episode is great commentary on the ridiculousness of the cartoon world they've created, and has a lot of great gags in general, but people whose brains have been broken by twitter watch it and just get angry at Grimey's false consciousness. (you're not supposed to like him. If he was likable the episode would be too mean. hth)

Yeah. Grimes becomes obsessed with taking Homer down, and that's ultimately what destroys him. Homer is not some malicious force - he's incompetent, but Grimes takes it personally. It reminds me a lot of people who make themselves the arbiter of justice and make pointless stands that only end up hurting themselves to try and stop people that they judge to be unworthy.

Grimes thinks that Homer is what is wrong in the world. He thinks pulling Homer down will bring him up, but like all too many times, it only destroys him.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
So did we all agree everything started going down hill the episode with Skinner being an imposter

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't mind the big immersion breaking things people cite, like Armin Tamzarian or the whole jockey elves bit (although that wasn't a great episode in general). I guess because I only started watching sometime around season 9 so I hadn't absorbed years of worldbuilding to be shattered. If the whole "he's been an imposter this whole time!" thing doesn't bother you it's actually a pretty good Skinner episode. I could still tell at that point that the newer episodes were lower quality than the reruns, though.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The cable stealing ep is such an obnoxious early episode (still funny of course), preachy lisa is annoying enough but it's preachy christian lisa.
Stealing from your boss?? Stealing cable?? Oh noooo.

I guess it's this sitcom kinda cliche where like, the "truth" is the most important thing. Like Marge giving up the chance to gently caress over Burns for a million bucks when Bart gets hit by a car, or when Lisa doesnt want her underfunded school to get money because I CHEAT CHEAT CHEATED (i love that one since they're completely ready for her pointless stand and hoodwink her)

The point of the cable episode isn’t that stealing cable is objectively wrong, but that as child- Lisa is going through a moment where she is being taught about right and wrong and is struggling to deal with all the gray areas and white lies out there in reality. So she views a relatively harmless fraud as a massive wrongdoing. I feel like it’s a pretty common thing especially if you go to Sunday School as an impressionable kid and start wondering ridiculous stuff like, “am I going to burn in hell forever because I said crap once?”.

The point is that Lisa is being over-the-top, it’s not vindicating her “preachiness”. She is being irrational but is still a child. Homer as an adult realizes that stealing cable is not a mortal sin but he feels the need to set a good example for his daughter and can’t really rationalize for her quite yet the difference between stealing and stealing.

Or as Lionel Hutz put it....
https://youtu.be/xc6tmYYhOUU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lascivious Sloth posted:

So did we all agree everything started going down hill the episode with Skinner being an imposter

I... Like that episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WeaponX posted:

The point of the cable episode isn’t that stealing cable is objectively wrong, but that as child- Lisa is going through a moment where she is being taught about right and wrong and is struggling to deal with all the gray areas and white lies out there in reality. So she views a relatively harmless fraud as a massive wrongdoing. I feel like it’s a pretty common thing especially if you go to Sunday School as an impressionable kid and start wondering ridiculous stuff like, “am I going to burn in hell forever because I said crap once?”.

The point is that Lisa is being over-the-top, it’s not vindicating her “preachiness”. She is being irrational but is still a child. Homer as an adult realizes that stealing cable is not a mortal sin but he feels the need to set a good example for his daughter and can’t really rationalize for her quite yet the difference between stealing and stealing.

A lot of early season episodes are basically surprisingly nuanced morality tales like that, including the Bonestorm episode, where Homer and Marge are trying to navigate raising their children in a complex and changing world where traditional black and white morality doesn't always work, and the kids actually act like an eight and a ten year old might.

Honestly, given the way the kids develop in later seasons, even before the zombie era, it feels like they should have aged along with the viewers, because the writers clearly start treating them as at least tweens and early adolescents pretty quickly. (the whole Corey hotline episode is something that makes way more sense for an adolescent girl than an eight year old)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Awesomesaurus posted:

It’s a fantastic ending, Grimey’s indignities don’t even end with the grave. I liked how the writers committed to the decision, he’s not in the hospital or demoted again, he is very dead.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WeaponX posted:

No, I mean, I understood it on this level. She sees it all in black and white. Just found her an annoying kid, probably cuz I was viewing it too much thru the lens of the flanderized lisa she would eventually become.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

I... Like that episode

There's nothing wrong with that episode. What I hate about the post-10 seasons of Simpsons is not contained in that episode.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

i agree but its still a funny episode so homer's enemy is a land of contrasts

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

First Elon Musk and now Grimes, sick of these celebrity episodes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
up yours children

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

up yours children

Skinner would never had said that in seasons 2-9

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Zombie Squared posted:

Skinner would never had said that in seasons 2-9

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
Skinner never said it, that's pure Armin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

UP AND ADAM posted:

There's nothing wrong with that episode. What I hate about the post-10 seasons of Simpsons is not contained in that episode.

I genuinely believe maybe three dozen people actually disliked that episode and then some sour nerd wrote some semi-convincing points about why it's bad and everyone decided that was the correct opinion to have