Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why is there an embassy there?!?

It had to be within walking distance of Tim Hortons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

it's probably one of the honorary embassies or whatever, and thus just the home of the person who is the "ambassador"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mano posted:

it's probably one of the honorary embassies or whatever, and thus just the home of the person who is the "ambassador"
...their home is at Alert?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AFAICT, Angola doesn’t even have an embassy in Canada. It closed in 2018.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Angepain posted:

e: also a tiny area between Sri Lanka and India which may or may not have land in it at the point where the border is

This is great, had no idea this existed

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Only Angolan government cares about it's people enough to have an embassy in the northern most town on Earth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Canada kicked out all Angolan immigrants. If they wanted to stay, they would have to get their names on a list for a one-time formal group appeal by the Angolan ambassador. The only way to get on this list was in person at the Angolan embassy, which the Canadian authorities relocated there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Count Roland posted:

This is great, had no idea this existed

It's one of those land formations that you would 100% call out as dumb if it was in a fantasy novel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Canada kicked out all Angolan immigrants. If they wanted to stay, they would have to get their names on a list for a one-time formal group appeal by the Angolan ambassador. The only way to get on this list was in person at the Angolan embassy, which the Canadian authorities relocated there.

cant tell if youre joking, thats the type of poo poo denmark would do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's one of those land formations that you would 100% call out as dumb if it was in a fantasy novel.

absolutely, this is fake as hell

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like looking at tiny isolated communities in google maps and there are tons of obviously fake joke pins people add up in Arctic communities like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think its because back when foursquare came around, facebook launched a "check in" feature & google did their maps location integration too, everyone checked in at like "your moms rear end" (friend's house)

but since tech companies are idiots who love data no matter how garbage it is, that poo poo just got passed along with & eventually became ground truth. like, there are multiple cases of people having something removed from eg google maps, but then goog imports data from openstreetmaps or whatever and it comes back. so you have to remove it everywhere, and you can only do that if you can satisfy them all that you are the person or owner of the place in question.

at least gdpr has made the process slightly easier
/former resident of 69 butt plaza, assville, current resident of 5 Five, fffffffi

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I tried to draw Europe from memory and failed miserably

Square Europe with silly proportions and for some reason North African fjords

Not bad at all except the overcompensation regarding Greenland's size, while still leaving the Scandinavian Peninsula absolutely enormous. I doubt I could do better.

One useful thing to remember about the North African coastline is that Tunisia sort of juts out on one side, there's a decently long stretch where the coast runs north-south.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Pakled posted:

I like looking at tiny isolated communities in google maps and there are tons of obviously fake joke pins people add up in Arctic communities like that.

some truths are better thought fiction

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like, subscribe, and hit the bell if you want to draw your memory map of Europe, but don't want to be the first poster to start the derail where everyone draws their memory maps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres that dude who lives right on the idk albuquerque airport who painted "welcome to minneapolis" on his roof

(replace those two cities with whatever is correct)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres that dude who lives right on the idk albuquerque airport who painted "welcome to minneapolis" on his roof

(replace those two cities with whatever is correct)

This YouTuber did the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_LluCl16k

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like, subscribe, and hit the bell if you want to draw your memory map of Europe, but don't want to be the first poster to start the derail where everyone draws their memory maps

That first map looks like Bismarck’s fever dream during the Congress of Berlin. “1. Settle the Russo-Turkish War by wiping Bulgaria off the face of the earth. 2. Demonstrate the ‘alignment’ of the Balkans towards Germany to justify German leadership. 3. Emphasize Germany, Russia, Austria, and France. 4. The rest is immaterial.”

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Look at that border gore!
Sharks are literally eating our lands. :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I see four green dots around Australia and two in the Indian Ocean east of Africa. Where is the seventh?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Platystemon posted:

I see four green dots around Australia and two in the Indian Ocean east of Africa. Where is the seventh?

Australia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Right behind you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

adhuin posted:

Australia

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like we're winning

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

Inside a shark. Duh.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
-At the end, he gave me a choice - between a life of comfort... or more torture. All I had to do was to say that... I could see five dots, when in fact there were only four.
-You didn't say it.
-No. No. But I was going to. I would've told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that - I believed that I could see... five dots.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

I like looking at tiny isolated communities in google maps

I assume I'm the only weirdo who does this, but sometimes I boot up Google Earth, go to a random city on the other side of the world, and then just virtually stroll around in it using Street View for a bit. Say what you will about Google, but I'm still in awe that that's a thing you can actually do. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like to live and/or work there, or what the stories are behind the things I see.

For example, just now in Oaxaca, Mexico, I came across this Alcoholics Anonymous meeting place unfortunately located right next to a bar:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You're deffo not the only one, GeoGuesser is huge on twitch now.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Flying around cool locations is the only reason I play MS Flight Simulator.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think most people in this thread would spend plenty of time on google maps or equivilant services. I normally keep mine viewing from overhead while switching between satellite with labels off and terrain mode so I can see elevation. To get a feel for a place I'll try to find street view or panoramic photos though I seem to end up in places that don't usually have much material available there.

It is indeed remarkable that a tool like this not only exists but is instantly accessible and free. Along with Wikipedia its one of the best fruits of the internet age.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:hfive:

I've been using Street View on and off for years, and I find that there is much more 'content' available for it than there used to be. For example, all major South American cities are now accessible, with the exception of the ones in Venezuela and Paraguay. Venezuela perhaps shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but I wonder what the deal is with Paraguay. Kind of a shame, I wanted to take a look around in Asunción to assess the linguistic situation; see if Guaraní is widely used for signage along with Spanish, things like that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've probably got more hours in gearth than any video game I've ever played lol. I mostly prefer aerial shots though, using street view to just get a feel for a place. Oddly enough bing maps had a good birds eye once upon a time (and a great companion to gearth) but they did something to it and made it worse and I'm very disappointed with them

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Google maps and street view is a fuckin' lifesaver for us poor sense of direction folks. I never go anywhere unfamiliar without checking out the area on there first.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any good alternatives to google earth?

I have a little wishlist of features that other services might have...
-Terrain view without labels
-Better/clearer national borders
-Ability to turn off roads

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This is my favourite thing I've ever found while using google streetview:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Do we have a dedicated geoguessr thread on the forums? I know loads of people in this thread are map nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I only use google maps to respond to the question like "what does cities in this small republic in the middle of asia looks like". Generally more than half of the world looks like europe. Not the entire world, mind you, but half of it. Is kind of weird how western infraestructure + western vehicles give everything the same style.