Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
no homelander realised he'd just put deep in charge of crime analytics and that if he asked deep to try and track soldier boy down he'd end up corpo cucked in the board room again, fnaar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
also, seriously: who is looking after those chimps

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Homelander is a leader now, and leaders delegate

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Homelander: "someone...took....my...stapler...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alan Smithee posted:

Homelander: "someone...took....my...stapler...."

Season 5 is gonna end with Homelander chilling on the beach, forgotten by society at large, upset that a waiter didn't hear him timidly ask for a drink.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Homelander was a little freaked out when he saw the explosion, I think it's a little of column A where's an ineffective leader and a blowhard but also something of column B where he knows Soldier Boy never died and also just that a supe that can literally go nuclear (and then walk away from the explosion) is something even homelander isn't going to openly approach until he knows more, he's only fearless when he has nothing to fear.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It doesn't seem like Homelander has any personal connection Soldier Boy, or even most of his old team mates at the time Soldier Boy disappeared. Only Black Noir is left from that time, and he's not saying anything. I don't see how Homelander would know if even Vought didn't.

I think it's 100% just Homelander being used to coast along by half-assedly doing whatever his managers told him to do, and letting them clean it up when he bungled it. Now he's the manager, and he has no idea how to respond to this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We know Soldier Boy did stuff to junior supes and Homelander was doing the ptsd stare when watching the footage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Great episode. Loved that deep fired everyone, it was the pitch perfect move.

The cop apology was perfect, homelander being a scared bitch was perfect, everything was great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hewie has also murdered two human beings and a sperm whale at this point in the series, and it should be mentioned that his murders have been grisly and inhuman explosions of gore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Slashrat posted:

It doesn't seem like Homelander has any personal connection Soldier Boy, or even most of his old team mates at the time Soldier Boy disappeared. Only Black Noir is left from that time, and he's not saying anything. I don't see how Homelander would know if even Vought didn't.

I think it's 100% just Homelander being used to coast along by half-assedly doing whatever his managers told him to do, and letting them clean it up when he bungled it. Now he's the manager, and he has no idea how to respond to this.

:agreed:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really enjoyed that episode. Honelander conducting his purges... I was genuinely worried he'd laser that board member for daring to call out his inadequacy. I'm enjoying the Deep's use this season, as the loyal hench idiot, and A-Train's burgeoning consciousness. MM's slowly losing his family to jingoism. It's a big collection of subplots, but they all feel like they inform each other.

Frenchie's doesn't, and it's also hella boring, so whatever.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How many episodes is this season? Is this the halfway point?

edit:

Also I have completely lost all interest in Frenchie's plot this season. Nina adds nothing to the show. There was enough there with Butcher and Hughie crossing the line for that to be the drive for them to want to get out. Adding some generic mob boss to kidnap him is just eyerolling. Maybe they'll pull it off, but I don't know. We're probably about halfway through the season and all the other storylines are full speed ahead while that one just kinda eats 5-10 minutes of each episode plodding along like a wounded animal.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 18, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robobot posted:

How many episodes is this season? Is this the halfway point?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are they doing the stranger things thing and making you wait for the last 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

are they doing the stranger things thing and making you wait for the last 2

Don't think so

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The trumpian administration thing is so unsubtle it’s leaving a horrible taste in my mouth.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Frenchie's doesn't, and it's also hella boring, so whatever.

Robobot posted:

Also I have completely lost all interest in Frenchie's plot this season.

Isn't it pretty obvious that Frenchie getting nabbed by Nina is the catalyst for Kimiko to begrudgingly re-power to save him, most likely by asking Butcher for some Temp V?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Have Frenchie take some temp v and solve his own problems

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kimiko not being able to save Frenchie and him dying would be extremely tragic and pretty Kripke

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Slashrat posted:

I think there was definitely an element of fear. ThIS guy is clearly the closest thing we have seen to seeing a supe as strong as Homelander, and Homelander has never been challenged in a fight. Flying off to capture this new supe would have done wonders for Homelander's approval ratings, but Homelander is not the kind of guy who will jump into a fight without being certain of victory.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

christmas boots posted:

At least with the V he can just teleport away from the eye lasers.

This will absolutely happen and Starr's expression of shock/disbelief will be amazing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It seems comically implausible that Homelander wouldn’t know who Soldier Boy is or what he looks like.

Homelander’s entire persona is characterized by the way he notices or perceives everything about everyone. Their heart rate, how they smell, their breath and their diet and their sex life… the analytical and fiercely detail oriented character we’ve been shown for the last 3 years just COULDN’T miss that

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

mcbexx posted:

Isn't it pretty obvious that Frenchie getting nabbed by Nina is the catalyst for Kimiko to begrudgingly re-power to save him, most likely by asking Butcher for some Temp V?

Yes, and that’s why it’s a boring subplot. I have no idea what is going to happen with anyone else, but Kimiko going back to powers, Frenchie possibly dying, and Kimiko fully committing to the Boys and becoming more unhinged is so telegraphed that I hope they just pull the rug out from under the whole thing and have Frenchie just kinda talk his way out and both of them leave.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think that anything Kimiko and Frenchie had onscreen was more boring than the A-train subplot, at least they're both cute and well meaning characters so you kinda root for them unlike A-train who's really beyond redemption and his whole plot shows what an ineffectual dummy he is, Starlight summed it pretty well in their 20 second corridor conversation but we're still gonna see the whole thing play out.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It seems comically implausible that Homelander wouldn’t know who Soldier Boy is or what he looks like.

Homelander’s entire persona is characterized by the way he notices or perceives everything about everyone. Their heart rate, how they smell, their breath and their diet and their sex life… the analytical and fiercely detail oriented character we’ve been shown for the last 3 years just COULDN’T miss that

Homelander is more of an omniscient narcissistic buffoon.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He simultaneously knows what everyone is doing all the time and still can't even run a board meeting without having a psychotic meltdown when asked a simple question that accidentally challenges his intelligence

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Was it Black Noir who grabbed Maeve?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ynohtna posted:

Was it Black Noir who grabbed Maeve?

Deffo looked like it,conspiracy theory time it was drummer boy in noirs outfit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cpt_Obvious posted:

He simultaneously knows what everyone is doing all the time and still can't even run a board meeting without having a psychotic meltdown when asked a simple question that accidentally challenges his intelligence

Yeah that’s why I kind of love Homelander. He could EASILY be a force for incredible good in the world, or just as easily rule all of us like an ancient pagan blood god, but the man just doesn’t have enough spoons to even order his own lunch without having a tantrum. He has the physical and even the intellectual properties that allow him to do anything, but he has the psychological stability of a 9 year old with PTSD, so he’s incapable of using his incredible power for anything more than being a petty psycho. It’s extremely compelling, even if everything he does is disgusting and horrible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I never really got the feeling that Homelander is super-intelligent, in the recent episode his claims that he was smarter felt to me like another Trump joke, Homelander sometimes manages to outmaneuver smart people but he usually does it because well, he can pretty much brute force his way out of any problem, very few people are going to bet against Homelander, but he's actually a big dummy, imo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
There's no space for it in the show but I really wonder how Homelander would react to the "It's a Good Life" episode of the Twilight Zone. An omnipotent child that everyone fears and hates, but they pretend to adore so he won't kill them or worse. The child doesn't know what he's doing is wrong because he has no capacity to perceive other people as anything but playthings. He'd have a very unique perspective on it, or a very blunt one.

If only he spent more time watching TV with Doppleganger before murder/suiciding him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1538164628882178048?t=diyTY0_WYUGRpYSrNQ1Pug&s=09

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bust Rodd posted:

Homelander is a big idiot buttressed by superpowers that allow him to hear, see, smell, and otherwise know things he shouldn't, without which advantage he'd constantly find himself overtaken by events. All the things you rattled off are things Homelander notices the same way we notice different hair color or perfume. They're not the product of a keen detective instinct. What would he have picked up on a screen?

Snowflakes in June? Global warming is real!

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 18, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

what

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
To me, Homelander puzzling over the video was like someone trying to work out a chess piece they've never seen before. He's not really scared, maybe bemused is a better word. Is this something Stan had waiting in the wings as a contingency plan? Someone Maeve and Starlight found? Maybe Butcher? Some rando supe popping his cork on the sidewalk?

He doesn't know enough about Soldier Boy to be scared yet, he's still sure he can kill anyone and anything he comes across, but he's afraid of failing. He knows that he's at the top now, and the only place to go from there is down.

Some terminally online people are melting down that their politics are coming across as the bad guys in the show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A-Trains yellowed plastic thing is so distracting. It looks like what happens on stuff that sits in the sun too long.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homelander is very smart, his problem is that he is rarely capable of deciding what he wants. When he is pushed into a box on needing to do something then he is generally capable of forming and executing a plan better than anyone else - such as when he turns the tables on Stanford earlier this season. He wants love and respect, but because he doesn't actually understand those emotions he's unable to form that mental pathway of 'in order to get people to like me I need to do X'. That's where Stanford is able to rattle him in the conference room - Homelander has taken over Vought because he wants respect, but he has no idea how to actually convert running Vought into people respecting him.

Homelander being very good at reacting to events but not so good at initiating them also makes him very convenient as a long-arch antagonist.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Note to self: next time I see a gay couple walking by on the sidewalk, I am to immediately stop what I'm doing, pop some party confetti poppers, and lavish praise onto them while tearing up about how brave and wonderful they are, or else I'm a homophobic bigot according to the something awful dot com forums. Nevermind the fact that I've been locked up in an evil experimental lab without having been able to see the light of day a single time in the last 40 years and am just now getting my bearings on being in a totally different world.

Also hey, did it bug anybody else that in S1E1, Translucent blew all the way up? Like wasn't his skin supposed to be infinitely strong? Shouldn't the explosion have simply made a loud thud followed by a bunch of blood and goo squirting violently, but only, out of all the already-there openings in his body? Mouth, Eye openings, nostrils, butt, etc? Or do you think they just made him blow all the way up for the comedy of Hughie getting splashed with gratuitous amounts of blood?

As Nero Danced posted:

Some terminally online people are melting down that their politics are coming across as the bad guys in the show.

The Blue Hawk TB interview where he blamed his meltdown incident on secret Antifa activists in the crowd was excellent.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

With how un-subtle the Trump parallels are I kinda wonder if Homelander / Soldier Boy is gonna end up being a New Right / GOP type of conflict, where they both pretty much agree on all the broad strokes, but Soldier Boy is pissed off that the new "face of America" is a gauche rear end in a top hat who says the quiet parts out loud.

Regardless of how you read his reaction to that kiss, we still know Soldier Boy is a piece of poo poo. He's possibly a sex criminal - or at least a child abuser even if we take Gunpowder at face value - his entire team hated him so much that they were fine with selling him out to a hostile power to be tortured / presumably killed, and MM's whole subplot is about his complete lack of care for collateral damage / probable racism.

He's probably gonna be pissed off at Homelander, but not for the right reasons. I'm actually curious to see how Butcher plans on pitching this team-up - he might hate Stan Edgar, but Edgar wants Homelander out of the picture, too. Maybe by giving him an opportunity to get back at Black Noir (his lines made it seem like he was fully aware and on-board with betraying Soldier Boy)? Motivation-wise all we've seen so far is him being driven by revenge, but maybe just seeing what Vought has become will be enough.