Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Welp the hippo calf just dropped right after I caved and bought it. The gently caress game.

Now you can sell it and get some of your money back because it's going to be undercut 100 times by tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well I just got 6 commendations. Soloed P2 (non savage) for the last 5% or so after people slowly attritioned and the healers (both sprouts but trying their darnedest) ran out of MP. Came close, I had to Holmgang a double-tankbuster and none of my healing cooldowns were up at the time so I was really lucky he didn't swing again immediately and Storm's Path kept me up the few seconds I needed.

That's a tough fight if you aren't geared for it. Lots of party damage even if people aren't standing where they shouldn't, it doesn't take much going wrong for things to fall apart.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HackensackBackpack posted:

Now you can sell it and get some of your money back because it's going to be undercut 100 times by tomorrow.

I saw the hippo calf drop for the first time yesterday and accidentally mashed greed instead of need. :doh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apparently I don't have a single EW dungeon minion and I'm still missing half the ShB dungeon minions too. Not sure why those things really need to have drop chances so low :(

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Can I trust the starbird dungeon? I don't want to roll against anyone for it. Where does the snake drop?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Can I trust the starbird dungeon? I don't want to roll against anyone for it. Where does the snake drop?

You can indeed get the starbird from trusts.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Little snek is from the 87 dungeon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

orcane posted:

Apparently I don't have a single EW dungeon minion and I'm still missing half the ShB dungeon minions too. Not sure why those things really need to have drop chances so low :(

Keeps people running them.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh cool, the EW tank quest even acknowledges if you've done the WHM quests. I love when that happens.

E: Scratch that, I think it's a EW msq reference

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2022

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh cool, the EW tank quest even acknowledges if you've done the WHM quests. I love when that happens.

If you have done the WHM quests, it opens up an additional dialogue choice which acknowledges what you done during the WHM quests and why it wouldn’t work this time.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay is there a guide to CC or a tutorial or something? I'm stuck in Silver 3, on a double digit losing streak over multiple days, and I have zero idea what the hell I can do. It feels like no matter what happens we lose one fight, and then the team starts throwing themselves into 5 on 1s and that's it. It's pretty obvious that with this many losses I"m part of the problem but I have no idea what to do especially when it feels like the same players who were idiots on my team are gods on the enemy team literally 2 minutes later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay is there a guide to CC or a tutorial or something? I'm stuck in Silver 3, on a double digit losing streak over multiple days, and I have zero idea what the hell I can do. It feels like no matter what happens we lose one fight, and then the team starts throwing themselves into 5 on 1s and that's it. It's pretty obvious that with this many losses I"m part of the problem but I have no idea what to do especially when it feels like the same players who were idiots on my team are gods on the enemy team literally 2 minutes later.

The unfortunate truth is that there isn't a lot you can do if people start 5v1ing. The only thing you can do is resist the urge to do it yourself, even if you're trying to slow down the enemies. There are rare situations where sacrificing yourself to slow down the enemies might be worth it but more often than not you're just setting your team up for a losing fight.

Also try to use markers. They help focus your team a lot.

Otherwise the biggest question is what class are you playing? How you can contribute depends heavily on that.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

the dps and tank endwalker role quests were incredibly forgettable but i guess i am gonna do the others eventually

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Bind retreat and push it when more than 1 person is dead.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like ranked pvp games with randoms are a scam. Everyone thinks they can just be good enough to carry their team, but nobody is and that is almost impossible to do. Sometimes your teammates just decide that you're going to lose this game no matter what you do. In the end, as long as you are at about average skill, you will slowly rise in rank over a long enough time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's well worth having the "fall back and regroup" and "push the crystal" chat commands bound, if only to help guide people. I use the fall back one if we get into a teamfight and two people immediately get rolled. it lets the enemy team push to the midpoint but it allows people to refocus for a sec while we wait for respawns.

Once you get a better feel for it, it can also be helpful to have a target picker countdown macro, but I personally don't have one set up since I Am A Coward.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The real thing to do is to start ranked climbing as soon as the season is out so that you're not stuck with the dregs of society who couldn't fight their way out of Bronze 3.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If I want to learn CC to start working on the achievements, should I be in casual or ranked? I've played two games of casual, both of which were one-sided stomps, and no ranked at all, but I should probably start working towards the GARO horses.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Antivehicular posted:

If I want to learn CC to start working on the achievements, should I be in casual or ranked? I've played two games of casual, both of which were one-sided stomps, and no ranked at all, but I should probably start working towards the GARO horses.

I haven't touched ranked and that got me all my GARO mounts pretty quick. It can be real hit or miss on how your team is, but at least it's fast.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Casual still counts for the achievements and while I don’t think there’s MUCH difference between casual and ranked if you’re unranked/bronze in terms of the kinds of players you’ll get, casual at least doesn’t have the extra few seconds of rubbing a loss in your face when you lose a star.

Right now, all ranked gets you is an extra adventurer plate decoration depending on your rank. That’s it.

Speaking of, when does the ranking season end? Is it 6.18 or 6.2?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

The real thing to do is to start ranked climbing as soon as the season is out so that you're not stuck with the dregs of society who couldn't fight their way out of Bronze 3.

This. It's not a proper MMR because you can't go down in tier, so if you didn't start playing right away you're going to be placed in matches with a combination of other people who just started playing and awful players.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If bronze is anything at all like unranked then it should be very possible to climb. No, you won't win every match, but queuing into casual is almost comically easy compared to queuing into crystal. That doesn't help you learn, since playing against bronze players probably won't teach much compared to playing against better opponents, but if you've got the knowledge then bronze is not some magical black hole that will lock you in forever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There's still a significant amount of luck involved, and there's a problem in each tier where people who don't belong at a tier collect in Rank 4 or whatever the lowest rank is because the game doesn't have demotions. So every rank has its very own ELO hell that is likely very real.

I say likely because I don't know how the actual matchmaking algo works and I'm not sure if it can put a Plat 4 into a Bronze 1 match if the plat's true MMR is Bronze 1.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bronze ranked is better than casual because most people in ranked are at least trying to win.

Casual can end up with people who don’t really care because they just want to grind out wolf marks and series experience, and fast losses can be more efficient for that than grindy overtime wins.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheWorldsaStage posted:

In a similar vein during EW MSQ one of the npcs told me that it's good a talented White Mage such as myself is here. The funny thing is my WHM at the time was only 50 and I only did the job quest up to lv45, I didn't even have benediction. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I am absolute dogshit at MNK in CC

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Speaking of, when does the ranking season end? Is it 6.18 or 6.2?
I checked the patch notes to make sure of this; it's that 6.18 is when the Bronze/Silver etc. season resets, but the current 1-30 rank series continues through the 6.18-6.2 season as well.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

I checked the patch notes to make sure of this; it's that 6.18 is when the Bronze/Silver etc. season resets, but the current 1-30 rank series continues through the 6.18-6.2 season as well.

Oh that's a relief, that should give me enough time to grind the pvp armor set which is all I ever wanted.

I've just reached the third row of the milestones rewards and the points per reward went up to 7,500 points. At 500 points per match, that would be another 75 games before I get the armor coffer.

:shepicide:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Trash Ops posted:

the dps and tank endwalker role quests were incredibly forgettable but i guess i am gonna do the others eventually

As per tradition started in ShB, the healer role quest is the best.

Also it's worth doing them all for the capstone quests

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

shoc77 posted:

Oh that's a relief, that should give me enough time to grind the pvp armor set which is all I ever wanted.

I've just reached the third row of the milestones rewards and the points per reward went up to 7,500 points. At 500 points per match, that would be another 75 games before I get the armor coffer.

:shepicide:

You still would have been fine, more or less. In 6.2 all of the Series rewards will move to the Trophy vendor. 6.3 is the cutoff, since they'll be removed from the vendor when that goes live.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hey, happy Housing Disappointment Day to anyone celebrating! You still have a few hours to throw in a last-minute bid.

Khizan posted:

Bronze ranked is better than casual because most people in ranked are at least trying to win.

Casual can end up with people who don’t really care because they just want to grind out wolf marks and series experience, and fast losses can be more efficient for that than grindy overtime wins.

There's some truth to this, but speaking as someone who spent a long time in bronze and lucked out into silver, the win rate is effectively the same--at least in my experience. I racked up nearly an equivalent amount of wins in casual as ranked in about half the time, in part I think because the "pressure" wasn't there. That rising star loss screen can be demoralizing. Of all the things I've experienced in this game, going from one win away from the next rank back to the very bottom of the ladder in the space of a few games multiple times is easily one of the worst.

Yapping Eevee posted:

It will be interesting to see if they add any other rewards to ranked in the next season beyond adventurer plate decorations. I kind of want to try and push to gold before the seasons ends if I can and I've got some time off coming up. I may waste a little of that bashing my head into CC until I want to die again. I finished the series awhile back, thankfully. It helps that the daily frontline gives you Series XP as well.

I also think they should embrace chaos and completely change everyone's PvP actions every season. Grey out all the buttons and start over. The first few days of Nü-PvP were a blast as everyone was figuring out their kits.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 18, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

I also think they should embrace chaos and completely change everyone's PvP actions every season. Grey out all the buttons and start over. The first few days of Nü-PvP were a blast as everyone was figuring out their kits.

Down that road lies so much development time that we wouldn't be getting cohesive and relatively balanced PvP kits. They'd be janky, gimmicky messes with next to zero rebalancing between seasons because they'd be too overworked making new kits for the next one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's also rare a game gets their balance done so well in the first place.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah PvP just works in xiv in a way I haven't seen outside of some Guild Wars patches. I suppose having a dedicated PvP team who are allowed to make any adjustments needed for balance which doesn't touch PvE at all is a big part of it.

I'm trying to remember, does wow silo off PvP or are they still playing the fools game of trying to create one balance for both.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Onean posted:

Down that road lies so much development time that we wouldn't be getting cohesive and relatively balanced PvP kits. They'd be janky, gimmicky messes with next to zero rebalancing between seasons because they'd be too overworked making new kits for the next one.

I guess I will have to settle for minor tweaks and rebalances then while forcing myself to learn one of the meta jobs to :gitgud:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

There are officially no houses available in Lavender Beds on Excalibur now :(

One day I'll have my forest house with a yard, drat it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I just got an apartment so I can scratch the "learning to decorate" itch and leave housing up to a once every two weeks blind chance thing. I was #117 on a small and the winner was #143 of.. dunno, didn't really want to do the walk of shame for a second longer than I had to. The housing system and furniture set up seems really good and I'm a casualty of Wildstar housing shutting down so this'll be fun.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah PvP just works in xiv in a way I haven't seen outside of some Guild Wars patches. I suppose having a dedicated PvP team who are allowed to make any adjustments needed for balance which doesn't touch PvE at all is a big part of it.

I'm trying to remember, does wow silo off PvP or are they still playing the fools game of trying to create one balance for both.

As far as I know they don’t. Basically if you are in a capital city you can turn on ‘War Mode’ and participate in world pvp. Unlike with FFXIV, Levels and gear do matter so if you decide to turn on war mode for the extra 10% exp and someone on the enemy faction 10 levels higher than you rolls up on you, you are going to have a bad time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pvp is doodoo and they need to remove battle high and put in a buff that makes it so any damage from people other than the last person to hit you in the past second is reduced by 75% or more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

More like Battle Sigh whenever I get killed again.