Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So a suck up to Eric? I bet Eric "radicalized" him. I honestly don't know much about Columbine. It happened when I was in high school too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

I live about 6 miles away from the church where this shooting happened. A friend's friend's mom was at a table with three of the folks but didn't get shot and did what she could to help them. Apparently the shooter was a 70 year old gun dealer

Squashy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 18, 2022

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:murica:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Columbine kids had instances of being bullied, but were often bullies themselves. They definitely had a group of small but close friends, and Dylan even had a girlfriend (a fact which apparently pissed Eric off, as he deserved pussy too dammit! :females:)

Squashy posted:

I live about 6 miles away from the church where this shooting happened. A friend's friend's mom was at a table with three of the folks but didn't get shot and did what she could to help them. Apparently the shooter was a 70 year old gun dealer

Yeah, I'm originally from Decatur, so this was fairly close to home..the UAH shooting even closer.

Hugs from a former AL-ian. I'm glad your friend's friend's mom is okay, at least physically.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I. M. Gei posted:

Eric was way more hosed up than Dylan. He was very much the ringmaster in that circus. Dylan was more like his pretty assistant in the sequined leotard.

yeah, dylan was the weird emo kid with who did edgy journals and probably had depression and was looking for friends and eric being the sociopath picked up on that.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So a suck up to Eric? I bet Eric "radicalized" him. I honestly don't know much about Columbine. It happened when I was in high school too.

yeah kinda. if he had been younger he probably would have had some blog or maybe got into writing/art but he found the sociopath instead.

read the book i linked, its genuinly good book and kinda erases alot of the cultural myths around it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dapper_Swindler posted:

read the book i linked, its genuinly good book and kinda erases alot of the cultural myths around it.

I'm sure it's a really good book but that's not quite up my alley. :)

I'm reading Stephen King's Carrie right now. And I have quite a few of his lined up next. Pet Sematary, the Stand, and Salem's Lot. I'm kinda on a King kick right now. I need some fiction. I usually read non-fiction. But I read at night when I lay down for bed so I probably don't want something to work me up too much.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no. eric was a future ted bundy who wanted to blow up the school and shoot the survivors, was a massive bully and edgy dickhead psycho. dylan was the edgy poet kid who fell into erics orbit and was basicaly the follower who said loud edgy poo poo because he was a dumb kid.
https://www.amazon.com/Columbine/dp/1787477096/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1655516428&sr=8-3

basicaly because of when it was tons of myths popped up that are only now fading outside the right.
Yeah that's a great book. I, like probably most Americans who were around for Columbine, thought I basically knew what happened there and it turns out most of what I thought was true was wrong. That book not only corrects the wrong information, but explains how a lot of the wrong information became what everyone believed.

If I remember right. It's been a while. Probably worth a reread by now.

Edie: Eric was a psychopath, Dylan was deeply depressed. They were probably the worst combination possible to spend all their time together.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 18, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I'm reading Stephen King's Carrie right now. And I have quite a few of his lined up next. Pet Sematary, the Stand, and Salem's Lot. I'm kinda on a King kick right now. I need some fiction. I usually read non-fiction. But I read at night when I lay down for bed so I probably don't want something to work me up too much.

it cool. i like salems and pet sematary too. i have mostly been listening to 40k stuff of late instead of history or deep poo poo.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah that's a great book. I, like probably most Americans who were around for Columbine, thought I basically knew what happened there and it turns out most of what I thought was true was wrong. That book not only corrects the wrong information, but explains how a lot of the wrong information became what everyone believed.

If I remember right. It's been a while. Probably worth a reread by now.

we had those evangelicals show up at our high school who ran with the lie of that dying christian girl.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Yeah "better prison style doors" is not a solution to anything.

I can think of multiple ways to defeat that and cause even more harm, which I am obviously not going to write out.

gently caress even my high school was supposed to have these fancy maglock doors and we figured out if you just ran at it at full speed and checked it you could pop them.

A crowbar would be easier, but hey, kid logic. They didn't teach us leverage yet. Much like the useless cops.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

The only work of King's I've read was 11/22/63 and I liked it a lot

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no. eric was a future ted bundy who wanted to blow up the school and shoot the survivors, was a massive bully and edgy dickhead psycho. dylan was the edgy poet kid who fell into erics orbit and was basicaly the follower who said loud edgy poo poo because he was a dumb kid.
https://www.amazon.com/Columbine/dp/1787477096/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1655516428&sr=8-3

basicaly because of when it was tons of myths popped up that are only now fading outside the right.

Zefiel posted:

I had a couple of Audible credits so I now have both of these to listen to. Thanks for the recommendations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

They already have armor plating for child sized backpacks so we're probably not far off from this.

The cops have blood on their hands in Columbine too because they had all kinds of red flags in regard to Eric Harris. He was already well know to the local cops and they had a good sized file on him. If I recall correctly it was even brought to their attention that he'd talked about shooting up the school. Basically if the police had been doing their loving jobs the Columbine massacre probably could have been prevented. Naturally after the shooting the file they had on Eric Harris mysteriously disappeared. But basically most of the media narrative about Columbine that people believe to this day was complete bullshit that news station after news station was all too happy to parrot.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it cool. i like salems and pet sematary too. i have mostly been listening to 40k stuff of late instead of history or deep poo poo.

we had those evangelicals show up at our high school who ran with the lie of that dying christian girl.

I went to a Catholic school and our religion teacher talked about that book when it came out and just had to tell us the inspiring story of Cassie Bernall's devotion to god. I was not shocked when I found out years later that it was total bullshit. I'm so glad they didn't make us read that poo poo. Around that same time our then new principal gathered up the 6-8 grades for an assembly. She'd invited a speaker in there to tell us (a bunch of children) the HORRIBLE TRUTH about abortion. We were then told we had to write a five page paper on why abortion is wrong. They told everyone to go home and ask our parents about Roe v Wade. Then the speaker handed out these lapel pins that looked like tiny feet and were to represent an aborted baby because those pins are the size of the baby's feet. Anyway it took like a day for that project to be cancelled when a shitload of parents called the school and were like "NOPE!".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Cops also have blood on their hands at Columbine because they also just sat outside not helping anyone while stacking up in their battle rattle. Several people could have been saved but were not because the police literally just left them there to die when there was no longer any threat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Cops also have blood on their hands at Columbine because they also just sat outside not helping anyone while stacking up in their battle rattle. Several people could have been saved but were not because the police literally just left them there to die when there was no longer any threat.

That too. But if they'd done their loving jobs there wouldn't have been a shooting in the first place. Cops are bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zefiel posted:

I've read IT twice (it took a long rear end time, I'm a slow reader, I read at talking pace), The Shining (one of my favorite books), and a ton of his short story books, maybe another big one. My favorite are his short stories. I have a short attention span and it's great to be able to get a whole story in a shorter amount of time. imo

A lot of goons that I've seen post like The Jaunt. That one freaked me out.

https://gist.github.com/Schemetrical/6184daf83843bcab9402

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, my school got visited by the family of the first girl killed at Columbine, and… in retrospect, their whole deal with portraying her as a perfect angel descended to Earth went from being an understandable bit of grief processing to really offputting after a point. About the only thing that stuck with me was overhearing some girl wishing that she could become a martyr like that as we were filing out, which freaked even lovely teenage edgelord me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Genesplicer posted:

I've taught at the same school in California for over 30 years. About 15 years ago they put up a heavy fence all the way around our school grounds. The person I spoke to told me it was a security measure, mainly due to Columbine. I pointed out that Columbine could be considered an "inside job" and fences would not have prevented it. He said that most other attacks had been from the outside, and this fence would prevent them. As if going through a gate or the office would be a problem.

The school used to be completely open and we did have a real vandalism problem. It has gone down a bit since the fence, and that is probably the best thing it has done. I really wonder about our local vandals, though. Mainly they do gang signs and spray paint dongs on the wall. If they wanted to cause some real trouble, shouldn't they do something like put super glue in all the door locks? We have dozens of outside doors. That could cause some real headaches. (My room for the last 10 years has had an outside door. My new classroom (which is the same one I was in from 20 to 10 years ago) is indoors.)
The fences are about [appearing to be a secure school to the parents. I expect dog patrols, watchtowers with those big lights and students with heavy french accents digging tunnels all over the place by the end of the decade. Of course, no one cares about what is happening inside.

beaviss
Dec 20, 2021

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/school-shootings-by-country

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Wait, "Randy" is unable to defend himself against the evidence? Was his "target shooting" videos like this? Because this has pyscho vibes written all over it
https://twitter.com/BadWeaponTakes/status/1515361631953473538

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zefiel posted:

A lot of King's works end up dealing with the intense disillusionment he sees as a result of the Baby Boomers just completely selling out and loving things up. His early poo poo like The Running Man, Carrie, Rage are prescient given the subject matter they touch upon (glorification of Bread and Circus violence, bullying leading to tragedy, school shootings). And my personal opinion is that he's best when in short story form and when there's an undercurrent of social commentary in the work.

Carrie, in particular, is written in a way that intercuts court testimony/police interrogation with the narrative of the story. It end up feeling much more "real" as a result, trying to reconstruct the events that surround and lead up to the massacre at the book's climax.

The running joke is that the man can't come up with a great ending to save his life so he tends to get long in the middle. But in terms of the Great American Schlockmeister, you could do way worse.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

FilthyImp posted:

A lot of King's works end up dealing with the intense disillusionment he sees as a result of the Baby Boomers just completely selling out and loving things up. [ ] And my personal opinion is that he's best when in short story form and when there's an undercurrent of social commentary in the work.

Hearts in Atlantis is probably the culmination of exactly this. It's a series of short stories that are all interconnected in small ways and very slice of life, and also extremely depressing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

A lot of King's works end up dealing with the intense disillusionment he sees as a result of the Baby Boomers just completely selling out and loving things up. His early poo poo like The Running Man, Carrie, Rage are prescient given the subject matter they touch upon (glorification of Bread and Circus violence, bullying leading to tragedy, school shootings). And my personal opinion is that he's best when in short story form and when there's an undercurrent of social commentary in the work.

Carrie, in particular, is written in a way that intercuts court testimony/police interrogation with the narrative of the story. It end up feeling much more "real" as a result, trying to reconstruct the events that surround and lead up to the massacre at the book's climax.

The running joke is that the man can't come up with a great ending to save his life so he tends to get long in the middle. But in terms of the Great American Schlockmeister, you could do way worse.

Carrie is still one of my absolute favorite King novels because of how raw and different it is from his other books, although you can definitely see where he was headed.

IT is probably my second favorite and the other one of his novels I've read a bunch of times. His short story/novellas are great too and a King short story collection is always going to have some great stories. "The Road Virus heads North" kept me up part of the night the first time I read it in "Everythings Eventual".

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Surely fencing in a school to prevent mass shooters such that there is only one entrance/exit would be a serious fire hazard, as well as providing no means of escape in a mass shooting?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

EMS should have people trained as combat medics to enter places with cops. Plate armor and maybe a ballistic shield they can also use as a stretcher.

I mean, if cops are going to be that cowardly. Let the real heroes in Fire/EMS do it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Zeniel posted:

Surely fencing in a school to prevent mass shooters such that there is only one entrance/exit would be a serious fire hazard, as well as providing no means of escape in a mass shooting?

Also schools that are so broke teachers need to spend their own money making photocopies because they can't reimburse them for a nickel but suddenly the schools will have enough of a budget to arm each teacher with a lock box, cameras with high speed internet feed in each class room (this was their argument to battle CRT), new entry vestibules and security guards for every school, as well as reconfiguration of every door and window in the school.

Republicans are literally poo poo for brains.

pro starcraft loser posted:

EMS should have people trained as combat medics to enter places with cops. Plate armor and maybe a ballistic shield they can also use as a stretcher.

I mean, if cops are going to be that cowardly. Let the real heroes in Fire/EMS do it.

Republicans would love this because I have literally never met an EMS worker that made more than $13 an hour.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Another rumor about Columbine was that the police wildly fired into the school and hit people. Was anything ever made of that?

(10 minute googling detour)

I saw this website back in the day. It has maps--just maps, no gore/violence--of the school and diagrams some LE response. Here's an archived version from 2005:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050824175945/http://thememoryhole.org/columbine/columbinemaps.htm
I was much more gullible about the internet back then but I'm still not sure how legitimate these are.

Does that popular Columbine book ever address this? It's one reason I've wanted to read it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

This is already pretty common. The San Bernadino shooting response included a trauma surgeon from Iraq who randomly decided to join up with a swat team a few years prior and trained regularly with them and helped save several lives during the response.

The issue with the columbine police response was from around the 60s to the date of the shooting standard response for pretty much anything involving shots fired was uniform officers hold the scene and swat mobilizes and enter. There really hadnt been a shooting like columbine prior to that and from that came new doctrine regarding police response to active shooters. Which Uvalde police completely ignored

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Blooster posted:

Also schools that are so broke teachers need to spend their own money making photocopies because they can't reimburse them for a nickel but suddenly the schools will have enough of a budget to arm each teacher with a lock box, cameras with high speed internet feed in each class room (this was their argument to battle CRT), new entry vestibules and security guards for every school, as well as reconfiguration of every door and window in the school.
No no you see the brilliance of their plan is they won't pay guards, they will get volunteers to stand guard. Forever. Because that will work.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

poor mexico. so far from god, so close to the united states

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

Hearts in Atlantis is probably the culmination of exactly this.
Yep! The short story collection (and not the Hopkins film) is what prompted him, in a review, to issue this amazing screed against his generation. Stuff like (very loosely paraphrased) "we saw people go to the moon, we had free love, drugs, rock and roll... and we squandered all that for corporate jobs, mortgages, a war on drugs and cheapass poo poo"

Man I wish I could track down that interview

Murdstone posted:

No no you see the brilliance of their plan is they won't pay guards, they will get volunteers to stand guard. Forever. Because that will work.
One of those volunteers is going to get caught motorboating a soccer player and is going to end up shooting the place up in the circle of Freedom

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

1) That's already a thing

2) one of the big issues pd has is that it's absorbed so many roles that it can't reasonably handle them all. It's probably not the best idea to put the rest of our emergency response organizations down a similar path.

3) This is literally volunteering someone to risk their life for you on the basis that they have already done so elsewhere. I get it, fire is there to help you through the worst day of your life and pd is often making it the worst day of someone's life. Just be careful, because throwing groups on a pedestal like that can also lead to poo poo like the way we treat teachers and treated all medical professionals during covid.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Not sure where to post this so I guess this will do.

My friend and I were just at a bar on the next block from me and it was filled with chuds. Playing Johnny Cash and stuff on the jukebox which is fine but they were all 60+ and at least one guy was wearing an American t-shirt with part of the constitution on it. Another one with I'm Your Huckleberry with guns. Some other random poo poo.

So my friend told me he can access the jukebox from his phone. So we discreetly cashed out, put on gently caress the Police from NWA, and headed out the front. We stood out there for a bit to see if there would be any reaction and it got deathly quiet inside for like 15 seconds and then they just continued to be oblivious and carried on.

I thought it was funny. :buddy:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Apparently a law enforcement source leaked that police never actually tried the door to the classroom the gunman was in and that it was possibly unlocked since they were supposed to lock automatically when closed but the gunman opened it after it was closed meaning the lock was broken

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

Apparently a law enforcement source leaked that police never actually tried the door to the classroom the gunman was in and that it was possibly unlocked since they were supposed to lock automatically when closed but the gunman opened it after it was closed meaning the lock was broken

Didn't he shoot the lock or am I confusing this with one of the other easily preventable child massacres? It's so hard to keep track.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 19, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Didn't he shoot the lock or am I confusing this with one of the easily preventable child massacres? It's so hard to keep track.

It's not clear but the main point is police just assumed it was locked and lied for a month about trying keys to open it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They are pretty vehemently trying to prevent their records from being released.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They didn’t want to try the door because there was a scary guy with a big gun in that room killing kids!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They didn’t want to try the door because there was a scary guy with a big gun in that room killing kids!

oh, word?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Didn't he shoot the lock or am I confusing this with one of the other easily preventable child massacres? It's so hard to keep track.

Article's behind a paywall, but at least according to this headline:

https://twitter.com/bchasnoff/status/1538276308215554049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like to spread this around, you can get past the paywall on news sites by using a free proxy such as hidester.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 19, 2022