Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bungie are also extremely woke and going through a big revival after that last expose about their crunch culture came out last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Magmarashi posted:

It's funny you ask that cause I know a fair amount of programmers that responded to me telling them this with "Yeah, things being unintentionally load-bearing Just Happens Sometimes"

As a programmer, this xkdc comic to me is evergreen

https://xkcd.com/2030/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also: https://xkcd.com/2347/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I fixed a typo about 3 weeks ago that broke every production site (about 500) and almost grounded a few hundred planes.

Coding is fun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm not even on the coding side of software and this one resonates, goddamn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Activision-Blizzard has no systemic issues with harassment, discrimination, hostile corporate culture, or other issues, says Activision-Blizzard investigation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Case closed! Now where are we going for lunch?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The company infamous for covering up their harassment and misconduct reports on itself that there is no harassment or misconduct? Well gosh, I don't know why I was worried.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"We found no problem with harassment just like our boss ordered. And besides, don't those dames know a smack on the bum or a squeeze of the tit is meant as a compliment? These broads just need to loosen up, ifyaknowwhatImean". -the people who did the report, probably.

I'm guessing we can't just chemically castrate all the men at Activision Blizzard?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

I'm guessing we can't just chemically castrate all the men at Activision Blizzard?

Sort out victims from predators first.

It gets overlooked a lot, but there's been a substantial number of male victims involved in the investigations and lawsuits who had been targeted by older men at the company.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Sort out victims from predators first.

It gets overlooked a lot, but there's been a substantial number of male victims involved in the investigations and lawsuits who had been targeted by older men at the company.

That is fair. Has there ever been a time where a company investigated itself and DIDN'T say "Nope everything is fine/we have some issues that we need to work out, but nothing BIG"?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Randalor posted:

That is fair. Has there ever been a time where a company investigated itself and DIDN'T say "Nope everything is fine/we have some issues that we need to work out, but nothing BIG"?

It has likely happened before, but generally requires the Executive level both caring and not being involved in the actual bad actions. Neither of which are happening here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Randalor posted:

On issues affecting employees (such as sexual harassment)? Not that I can think of. The only times I can think of this happening are when companies took massive risks, shareholders took notice, and employees got hung out to dry because the companies wanted to avoid federal investigation.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1537514694432288768

Outrage over finding ourselves innocent? HEY LOOK EVERYONE OVERWATCH 2 BETA COME LOVE US AGAIN

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm sure this plan would work if anyone still cared about Overwatch

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Gotta overwatch your back if you're working for ActiBlizz.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Randalor posted:

This kind of comment is not acceptable in this thread. I understand where the sentiment comes from, but please refrain from saying things like this in the future.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Randalor posted:

Paradox Interactive actually had a third party go in and investigate them and make a ton of changes/recommendations for changes to prevent lovely work environments after an employee survey. Turns out being based in a country with unions and being unionized helps a lot! It even helps the company because it's a lot easier to believe that they changed after that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Randalor posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zeron posted:

Paradox Interactive actually had a third party go in and investigate them and make a ton of changes/recommendations for changes to prevent lovely work environments after an employee survey. Turns out being based in a country with unions and being unionized helps a lot! It even helps the company because it's a lot easier to believe that they changed after that.

The bolded part is 1000% true, but in most cases companies would rather dig in their heels, sink into hell, and go bankrupt than ever hold a highly placed sex pest accountable for anything.

Blizzard in particular has so much built up nostalgia and good will from such a large number of people that if they appeared to be making even the slightest believable effort to clean house I'm absolutely positive huge amounts of people would fall all over themselves to go "see, Blizzard is good again!". But instead we get "We've investigated ourselves and found that we did nothing wrong!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe some would, but I genuinely think they more than exhausted that well of goodwill a while ago for most people. The illusion is gone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Maybe some would, but I genuinely think they more than exhausted that well of goodwill a while ago for most people. The illusion is gone.

There are still a whole lot of people who are still playing WoW and HotS and Overwatch and Diablo for various reasons - and please note that I'm not casting shade on those people, just stating facts - who I'm sure would be extremely glad to go "thank god, they're fixing things" and breathe a sigh of relief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also it seems like they're too busy doing sexual harassment/being sexually harassed and going on office drinking binges to actually make any goddamn games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1537807893319122945

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's always a grift.

Edit: on second thought, forget it.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 17, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is A-B trying to just push through the social media wave of #metoo and pretending it doesn't exist? I can't see their game sales ever taking a hit over this behavior and the kind of people who would believe those statements are also the same kinds of people who would laugh at the accusations and say the victims deserved it.

Diablo Immortal is going to make Fortnite money for them so it seems like management culture is basically bulletproof at this point.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a lot of "settlements" and "investigations" of this type are pure investor level stuff that never affects people on the employee/customer side of things

lyft just settled a case over their inability to handle [tw] sexual assault in their cars and awarded $25m ... to investors

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

pentyne posted:

Diablo Immortal is going to make Fortnite money for them so it seems like management culture is basically bulletproof at this point.

Immortal is making good money, but nowhere the realm of fortnite/pubg money and blizzard historically is poo poo at updating their games compared to other live services.

According to news, it made 24 million dollars in two weeks which is fine for a big IP, but not amazing.

Pokemon Masters, a side B-tier mobage made 26 million in a week.

Genshin Impact made 60 million in its first week.

And unlike most mobile games, Immortal has multiple news articles and video made every single day criticizing the blunt and aggressive microtransactions which is more likely that DImmortal might have already hit its peak revenue.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There's a significant level of very public backlash toward Diablo Immortal's monetization, so I'm less interested in how much it made initially than how it trends from here going forward. Will that backlash actually meaningfully impact their income, or will it be a whole bunch of noise that paying customers are willing to tune out?

Obviously the trending will need to be compared to other similar games. I assume the first week gets a big spike in income and it tapers off from there, so the degree of the taper would be what I'd be wanting to consider. A "normal" taper downward wouldn't be indicative of anything, but a steep fall-off would. If my assumption of how mobile gaming income works is wrong, then obviously adjust accordingly.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 17, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
ActiBlizz's issues have already affected their bottom line. There's loads of people who won't give them money any more because of all the recent poo poo. Whether they've flattened down to their core audience who will stick with them whatever or not is debateable but they could definitely be making more than they do at the moment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It doesn't help that they're so sluggish and dysfunctional they can barely get actual games out the door and there's a marked quality nosedive from their golden era of the games people actually care about. There's rusted-on defenders, sure, but everyone has those.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kanos posted:

The bolded part is 1000% true, but in most cases companies would rather dig in their heels, sink into hell, and go bankrupt than ever hold a highly placed sex pest accountable for anything.

Blizzard in particular has so much built up nostalgia and good will from such a large number of people that if they appeared to be making even the slightest believable effort to clean house I'm absolutely positive huge amounts of people would fall all over themselves to go "see, Blizzard is good again!". But instead we get "We've investigated ourselves and found that we did nothing wrong!"

they burned their goodwill doing nothing with their property and stuff, the blitzchung fiasco, no phone diablo and other assorted bullshit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tankbuster posted:

they burned their goodwill doing nothing with their property and stuff, the blitzchung fiasco, no phone diablo and other assorted bullshit.

Sorta incredible how blitzchung and no phones have become the very least of their problems compared to all the poo poo they've pulled since.

Like one of those cartoon gags with a garden full of rakes, only each rake is larger than the last.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If wc3 reforged wasn’t the final straw for some people I don’t think anything will be

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

Sorta incredible how blitzchung and no phones have become the very least of their problems compared to all the poo poo they've pulled since.

Like one of those cartoon gags with a garden full of rakes, only each rake is larger than the last.
i think a lot of the #metoo backlash to the harassment and discrimination scandals was also in part because the toxic assholes didn't have any reason to defend them; it was free content to disown them, and there was literally no one left in the world to defend them

same people who were the ones laughing at or booing people for bringing up sexism etc at blizzcon ofc

many of them have already started going back to being alt-right wokescolds naturally

gamers, man

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

For a lot of people, that's absolutely true.

My point made in a later post was that the "this is the last straw" good will threshold is different for different people, based on the fact that there are still millions of people playing their games and a lot of people still got excited about Diablo 4 information despite everything that has happened.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a lot of people also don't give a poo poo about video game news. the reason companies buy ads on tv, in other games, etc. is so that people know about their games even if they aren't reading videogame-specific media

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just recently talked to a "normie" person that regularly watches DC movies that had no idea about wanted criminal Ezra Miller. We live in a bubble.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and i am a turbonerd that doesn't watch super hero stuff, and this is the first time i've heard the name "ezra miller"

so many overlapping bubbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
just dump a bag of money on some influencers and they'll make it look like it doesn't matter