Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
buy that dip bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Gazpacho posted:

so what was MIM's backing story: bank deposits? commercial paper? a little spinning top?

I think it was another one of those algorithmic "stable" coins, ala terra

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
For a decentralized financial system that's supposed to change the way we use money, it sure seems to have a lot of coins that are supposed to be pegged to the dollar.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Prosperity is the providence of the Heavens alone, so what joy is there in its gain, and what sorrow in its loss? - Liu Bei

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Sub 19 :sickos:

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

an iksar marauder posted:

I heard those used for mining gpus were used at low voltages and pretty good quality still.

The GPU chip yes, the VRAM frequency is the one they overclock and run as hard as possible (or if they don't overclock that memory will still have ran hot for a long time).

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Below 19k lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:sickos:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Regarding GPUs, some hairsplitting:

GPUs used for mining are almost never overclocked. Rather, they are significantly clocked down to reduce their power consumption. It's also not their processor that is hit hardest by mining, it's the memory. Whether these cards are still durable is debated and frankly, up in the air.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/Bitcoin/status/1538185811690024960

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Real strong its not blood is victory wine tweet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Ask/Tell Freemason Goons have struck again!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Hopefully it gets them all off Twitter when it hits zero.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

So bitcoin becoming again something just for the "purists" is a good thing for them? How exactly?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

greazeball posted:

looking forward to a lot of sounds like this soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d80ahvRSV8E

What actually happened here? How do you lose $50k in a second with an investment in Apple?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So bitcoin becoming again something just for the "purists" is a good thing for them? How exactly?

Only the true marks remain, easy to scam in SO many ways.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
bitcoin can return to its roots: the thing you trade for bulk chinese chemicals to get high off of

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Beartaco posted:

What actually happened here? How do you lose $50k in a second with an investment in Apple?

leverage

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chinatown posted:

buy that dip bros

https://i.imgur.com/crq7n8p.mp4

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2022

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Fabricated posted:

bitcoin can return to its roots: the thing you trade for bulk chinese chemicals to get high off of

hell no, thats what western union is for. never touch a bitcoin, not even once

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if i read the order book correctly, sellers are dumping their bags near the market price while buyers are lined up all the way down to $5,000 to take the bags. no one on the sell side is looking for a rally

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Beartaco posted:

He staked his money on their share price falling. It did not.

I think he was the guy that thought it would fall because they had too many female executives, or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beartaco posted:

The top related link explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXrVriacUM

It's insanely stupid, and yet some crypto "investment firms" did nearly as stupid things with 100s of millions!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ11Vq6N7rk

🎉

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 18, 2022

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Has anyone said "Boned Ape Hundredaire Club" yet?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Soooo....

We're going to 4k?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Embedding video on mobile is frustrating if you don't know what you're doing like I don't seem to

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Depressed Ape Pedalo Group

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Another Bill posted:

Soooo....

We're going to 4k?

If we can dream it, we can achieve it.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

He brought options which is worse, and he brought a LOT of options. And an options contract isn't like buying a stock where at the end of the day you have a stock, it has an expiration date where it will go to zero if it's "out of the money". So it's a highly leveraged bet with no fundamental value if you didn't guess right within the period you selected.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So as someone who is not a finance person: is there a good reason for options trading to exist? Or is it one of those things that should probably be illegal but nobody cares.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Chinatown posted:

buy that dip bros

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Embedding video on mobile is frustrating if you don't know what you're doing like I don't seem to

copy the link from the share button on youtube, open new reply in awful app, long tap, bb code, insert video and the url from your clipboard will be waiting for you there

hey nineteen was worth it tho, good post

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Number going up is good for Bitcoin. Number going down is also good for Bitcoin.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
There is an argument that short sellers can keep a market honest (people will point to Enron and the 2008 housing bubble as examples of where short seller due diligence exposed massive valuation problems) But in reality it’s just a legal way of gambling on stocks, sometimes with no actual money in hand.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Regarding GPUs, some hairsplitting:

GPUs used for mining are almost never overclocked. Rather, they are significantly clocked down to reduce their power consumption. It's also not their processor that is hit hardest by mining, it's the memory. Whether these cards are still durable is debated and frankly, up in the air.

Memory overclock guides are pretty prevalent in the cryptocurrency community. Not sure whether big mining farms do it (probably not worth the effort), but private "miners" are more likely to have overclocked their VRAM I'd say.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

So as someone who is not a finance person: is there a good reason for options trading to exist? Or is it one of those things that should probably be illegal but nobody cares.

There is an argument where the ability to short stocks (bet on the price going down) can have a virtuous effect putting downward pressure on ridiculously over valued stocks but I’m not knowledgeable enough to explain the details of the argument.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

it's slipping! down under 18800 for a moment there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009