Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a kitten posted:

I bet the manga is good, great even, but good god this production is next level and I hope beyond all reason that they keep it coming

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1537878565043073033?t=nz1zFrYaQVlAsxQ4tEP_zw&s=19

Wait so most these visual gags are anime original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

All the ones in that clip are I think. There is a lot of stuff that builds on what happens in the manga as well.

Honestly it's a brilliant adaptation because it's both very faithful to the spirit of the manga but all adds something new.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

All the ones in that clip are I think. There is a lot of stuff that builds on what happens in the manga as well.

Honestly it's a brilliant adaptation because it's both very faithful to the spirit of the manga but all adds something new.

One of the biggest strengths of the adaptation is how it uses references and shout outs, not for their own sake, but for accenting the emotional state of the characters or the mood and tone of the scene. All while telling funny jokey jokes in the process.

Like the end of episode 9 which takes a standard dialogue and setup scene from the manga and frames it as a stock "found footage" horror film, punctuated by the sudden and direct short recreation of the most famous scene of the most famous found footage film of all time, Blair Witch Project. It's not framed this way just to be funny or to punch up the visuals in a surface level fashion. The visual shorthand of using found footage when introducing the haunted house featured in the next episode is obvious enough, but it's extra applicable in this specific context because the joke is "Maki plays it cool in front of her friend and crush->She's actually easily scared and utterly horrified of taking part" and the direct juxtaposition with the Apology scene in BWP is just the most perfect and bombastic way to convey to what extent Maki just really does not want to do this.

It's so nice to see because "referential" humor gets a bad rap these days for completely understandable reasons, so it's nice to see material that understands why that style of humor was useful and effective in the first place and to execute it in such a wonderful way. There's true creativity and passion that comes through and it permeates the entire three season run of this show. It's just great.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kaguya in the fortune teller’s booth was incredible

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Carlosologist posted:

Kaguya in the fortune teller’s booth was incredible

Shirogane constantly destroying Kaguya's expectations and her complete inability to process what was going on was peak Kaguya-sama for me. The one joke I want to see come back is the split Kaguya's personalities inside her head duke it out once a confession finally gets put out there.

I have high hopes for the finale.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

I don't even know how you could convey the Resident Evil joke in a manga

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't even know how you could convey the Resident Evil joke in a manga

It'd be hard but I imagine the sudden shift in camera angle+pixelation could convey it, this is easier if the character doing the monologue is a gamer because they could lampshade it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the manga has good framing, dynamic art, and some nice out of the box thinking (one of my favorites is an extra chapter with the pages written in such a way that they tell a story when read in any random order, fujiwara features heavily), but at the end of the day a lot of panels are exposition and/or internal monologue heavy. the anime has gone out of its way since season 1 to try to make backgrounds and character poses way more dynamic during these exposition heavy segments in an effort to keep viewer's eyes occupied, and in the second season started really noticeably including original sight gags and music cues that build off of what was previously humorous monologue.

i really think that the anime has shown what an adaption can truly be if you have a team that cares about the source material, understands their medium, and isn't afraid to avoid a rote re-creation. as much as i love the manga, if season 1 had just included static shots of the characters hanging out in the student council room while thinking devious thoughts at one another, there's no way the anime would have gotten as much traction as it has

edit:
for reference here's the page from the manga which matches up with the posted clip

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 21, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am not ready nor caught up enough for today's hour-long special. I am not.

Edit: Kaguya Season 4 has been announced

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 24, 2022

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kaguya being appalled that they took Shirogane's massive ball is my favorite joke from this arc

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The funny thing is that all the stuff in today's finale happened in the manga at around the time the Chika dance became a meme. So all us manga readers were sitting around thinking "Oh, wouldn't it be great if the anime team stuck around long enough to take the helm for these moments to come?" And now, years later, they have

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Coaaab posted:

The funny thing is that all the stuff in today's finale happened in the manga at around the time the Chika dance became a meme. So all us manga readers were sitting around thinking "Oh, wouldn't it be great if the anime team stuck around long enough to take the helm for these moments to come?" And now, years later, they have
I had no doubt that they would get there when they decided to include the heart balloons in OP1. They put that in a few weeks before the chapter came out and I went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1YjKwsd0M

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They actually translated the title of the show correctly for once

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kaguya blindly going all in in the kiss is genuinely my favorite joke in the whole series. Kinda sad they took out the punchline of it.

Extremely good season finale otherwise though.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if they'll finish the frenching bit in season 4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah cutting 40 seconds after including the set up definitely made me a bit sad.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man this was great. i can finally start reading the manga now!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Part of me wanted an absolute gamechanger but I was glad to see that, after getting precisely that, the gang is immediately back on their bullshit. :allears:

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Edit: Kaguya Season 4 has been announced

Just heard. Assume it's going to focus more on the other characters and them trying to hide their relationship? given the ending of S3. I have not read the manga at all btw so speculation on my part.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm surprised they didn't finish the show there. That definitely felt like it could have been the ending of the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jomo posted:

Just heard. Assume it's going to focus more on the other characters and them trying to hide their relationship? given the ending of S3. I have not read the manga at all btw so speculation on my part.

If you really want to know: immediately after the festival is the Winter Holiday so Shirgane and Kaguya end up planning on telling the rest of the StuCo when they get back. Unfortunately, something happens with Ishigami and Miko (and Tsubame) over the break so when they get back the atmosphere is too awkward to say anything about getting together. Hijinks ensue over the fallout.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

(metaphorically) yellin at my tv for 40 minutes for various reasons

e: I needed this today

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 25, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Avoided this thread until now because I was behind on the viewing schedule and didn't want to risk spoilers. Great season, amazing finale. I'm so happy I could cry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah this episode definitely explains the few before this season relying heavily on stills and manga panels. Goddamn they they absolutely balled out with this one. The whole running clocktower scene was incredible. Great season overall, always excited when there's actual progress in a romcom so hopefully some good shenanigans come out of these two blockheads finally getting together.

I see S4 has been announced but this is the point where I'll probably sit down and finally read the manga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh hey, a yukkuri reference.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Where was season 4 announced/confirmed? I'm seeing an announcement of a new anime project, but that could be an OVA or movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eyre Kneed posted:

Where was season 4 announced/confirmed? I'm seeing an announcement of a new anime project, but that could be an OVA or movie.

To the best of my knowledge you're correct, a new season hasn't been specifically confirmed and it could be anything

My gut feeling based on nothing is that it'll be a movie

However apparently there's a 4 hidden in the final scene so who knows! I'll see if I can remember where I read that and/or grab a screenshot

e: ah! Here it is
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1540365863777439744?t=ZpA-5OPSTGweAxxhtL3jWw&s=19

a kitten fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 25, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Isn't that the kind of thing Kaguya was making fun of Chika for? :D

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Still thinking about these last episodes (the whole season really) and i was like "wow they really need to give Koga Aoi some kind of award for her portrayal of Kaguya, seriously" but it turns out they have :v:

quote:

In 2019, she played the role of Kaguya Shinomiya in Kaguya-sama: Love Is War,[7] for which she won Best Actress in a Leading Role at the 14th Seiyu Awards

She probably deserves two

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat. It was a tough ride but we got there in the end

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ah, they're going out but in secret. Now. They'd still have to tell the student council gang that they're an item.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was afraid they were gonna pull the rug out at the last moment like that episode where they both go to the student council room over summer while the school is closed and barely miss each other.

Instead they went all in on the ultimate payoff. So glad this is gonna churn around in romcom hell where reasons mean they can't do anything until the show is over after too many seasons.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I found the role reversal funny between hayasaka an Kaguya at the end.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

a kitten posted:

Still thinking about these last episodes (the whole season really) and i was like "wow they really need to give Koga Aoi some kind of award for her portrayal of Kaguya, seriously" but it turns out they have :v:

She probably deserves two

Ecstatic and bubbly Kaguya after the festival was absolutely adorable and I absolutely lost it when she said "How Cute" to Hayasaka in that bubbly voice. :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The ending shot of the ED is the two of them meeting up after classes at Stanford isn't it? :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh I woke up tonight I said I
I've gotta make somebody love me
And now I know, now I know, now I know, I know that is you…

Whether intentional or not, I knew this reminded me of something

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

The ending shot of the ED is the two of them meeting up after classes at Stanford isn't it? :allears:

I was wondering about that. It feels like they're older.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
just finished this earlier. this show continues to be maybe the best anime? just the best anime. I think it's that.

whens the last time a show did a double episode release with an extra 50% of screen time on top? that poo poo is just loving wild. this show sets new bars for anime as a whole every season before promptly leaping over them in the next. such a wild confluence of talent working on it.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

a kitten posted:

Oh I woke up tonight I said I
And now I know, now I know, now I know, I know that is you…

Whether intentional or not, I knew this reminded me of something

There was some great animation in these episodes. Another one that stood out was Kaguya's Kissing Lesson:

It's so quick and smooth.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 27, 2022