Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This may have been posted here at some point, but here’s a crazy read of Targets disastrous attempt to enter Canada.

https://archive.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It’s called SAP because it traps things and preserves their death forever

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doggles posted:

You didn't quit your job because you accepted an offer to work for Coinbase recently, have you? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1532471584484646913

"Necessary to ensure we are only growing in the highest-priority areas" is a hell of a euphemism.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So Ryanair didn’t step in it as so much swan dived into poo poo

Ryanair forces South Africans to prove nationality with Afrikaans test

quote:

Afrikaans is one of South Africa’s 11 official languages and is the first language of about 13 percent of the country’s population. It’s a Dutch-based language developed by many of the country’s white settlers who came from the Netherlands and is associated with South Africa’s apartheid regime of white minority rule that ended in 1994.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Haha, they don't even fly to or from South Africa. Just a little random racism to keep people on their toes.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/business/status/1535364188788379656

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I guess there are limits to what concealer can cover up.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

Maybe it was Maybelline :tinfoil:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

cosmetics empire

Ah yes, the third brother: Romulus, Remus, and Revlon.

The Third Rome has fallen. 476, 1453, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You guys laugh but I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I bought a Revlon product. I still have some (combs and nail clippers etc), but I bought them years ago.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just never been the same since peter revson died

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Turbinosamente posted:

You guys laugh but I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I bought a Revlon product. I still have some (combs and nail clippers etc), but I bought them years ago.

they make my favorite foundation :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any specific reason Revlon's gone bust (e.g. bad chemicals in their cosmetics, CEO embroiled in a scandal etc)? Or is it just that people haven't been buying their stuff lately?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think the industry is pretty different when it comes to marketing etc. Sephora and Fenty probably took a big bite of their biz in the last decade.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think the industry is pretty different when it comes to marketing etc. Sephora and Fenty probably took a big bite of their biz in the last decade.

Wait they lost business to fentanyl???

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CommissarMega posted:

Any specific reason Revlon's gone bust (e.g. bad chemicals in their cosmetics, CEO embroiled in a scandal etc)? Or is it just that people haven't been buying their stuff lately?
Boring stuff. Lower sales, supply chain problems, and they’re got huge debt.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Revlon feels like baby's first drug store makeup, to me at this point. Decent quality, but if you have the means to spend a few more bucks, you'd be going in person or online to MAC, Sephora, or Ulta. I'd also venture that beauty bloggers spreading info on poor quality or lousy pigment payoff didn't help. Sure, Revlon good dupes for expensive brands but that's rare enough.

Man, I remember shoplifting that poo poo as a dumb teen back in stupid high school.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me of the rapid extinction of low to mid range formalwear once business casual came into vogue. Nowadays no one gets a suit for more than $100 or less than $1000, and most job interviewees are likely to just hit up the thrift store.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Revlon one of those companies that kept loving up when it came to makeup for darker skin and what it should be called?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't Revlon one of those companies that kept loving up when it came to makeup for darker skin and what it should be called?

You’ve got that confused with the vast majority of cosmetics companies

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me of the rapid extinction of low to mid range formalwear once business casual came into vogue. Nowadays no one gets a suit for more than $100 or less than $1000, and most job interviewees are likely to just hit up the thrift store.
Macys doesn’t even have racks of sized mens dress shirts, it’s just S/M/L/XL with the actual sizes listed. Incorrectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

You’ve got that confused with the vast majority of cosmetics companies

I'm unfortunately all too aware of that, but I seem to remember Revlon being rather unapologetic about it. At the very least they had a CEO step down a few years ago after a bunch of bigoted poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure where you're getting that from, because the go-to suit places these days (SuitSupply, Spier and Mackay) are very much in the ~$400-700 range.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

they make my favorite foundation :(

I'm with ya, I just discovered their little volcanic stone facial roller thing to help cut down on the oil on my face. :smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

I'm with ya, I just discovered their little volcanic stone facial roller thing to help cut down on the oil on my face. :smith:

Stop getting swirlied in the cold used deep fryer oil.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Stop getting swirlied in the cold used deep fryer oil.

Excuse me, the oil is HOT. :colbert: It helps open up your pores!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Trip report: I went to IHOP today. Nobody stabbed me.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Silly Burrito posted:

Trip report: I went to IHOP today. Nobody stabbed me.

Better luck next time!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

value-brand cereal posted:

Revlon feels like baby's first drug store makeup, to me at this point. Decent quality, but if you have the means to spend a few more bucks, you'd be going in person or online to MAC, Sephora, or Ulta. I'd also venture that beauty bloggers spreading info on poor quality or lousy pigment payoff didn't help. Sure, Revlon good dupes for expensive brands but that's rare enough.

Man, I remember shoplifting that poo poo as a dumb teen back in stupid high school.

ehhhh it kinda sucks now that the pandemic has shut down all of the in-store places where a cosmetologist would help match your skin tones and stuff, it's much easier to buy a few cheaper products now to experiment with.

but alas

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leaked Amazon memo warns the company is running out of people to hire

No one wants to work (for Amazon).

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
I think part of it is Revlon's products are just stagnant. I can't help but think of them as old lady makeup and don't remember the last time I even gave them a thought.. They're outpaced by both nicer stuff like what you'd find at Sephora, and by edgier drugstore brands like NYX and Hard Candy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find this funny because from what I understand, the worker churn is on purpose to make it harder for unions to organize

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find this funny because from what I understand, the worker churn is on purpose to make it harder for unions to organize

Bezos is also basically on the record that he views employees at the bottom level as basically replaceable and inferior, and they have it set where it’s very difficult or impossible for employees to move up that far from the ground level.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt the high turnover ( like 90ish % within the first year) also for making sure they dont need to give raises or have benifits kickin after 1 year / whatever ?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the high turnover ( like 90ish % within the first year) also for making sure they dont need to give raises or have benifits kickin after 1 year / whatever ?

Yep, my brother experienced it first hand. Was always some bullshit new metric that he didn't know about that kept him from advancing, so he just quit.

Also I am glad to see that Amazon is starting to feel the pain of not taking care of their employees.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the lesson they will take is workers are obviously lazy

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PhazonLink posted:

It’s over 100%

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

It’s over 100%

Wow, how many times can one person quit?!

Shroud
May 11, 2009
At the roofing company that I used to work for (for a little over 3 years), we had ~ 700% employee turnover/year in the office.

There were about 15 people working in the office. In 2019, about 110 people either quit or got fired (most quit). In 2020, still with about 15 people, the number went up to around 120. I stopped counting in 2021.

You became a grizzled veteran just by virtue of being there for more than 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shroud posted:

At the roofing company that I used to work for (for a little over 3 years), we had ~ 700% employee turnover/year in the office.

There were about 15 people working in the office. In 2019, about 110 people either quit or got fired (most quit). In 2020, still with about 15 people, the number went up to around 120. I stopped counting in 2021.

You became a grizzled veteran just by virtue of being there for more than 3 months.

Family owned company I take it?