Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cael posted:

I believe the answer—from what I saw elsewhere—is a white guy currently doing a terrible job defending himself from the (entirely legitimate) criticism on twitter

He's Latino but yes, still terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My name is Thor and I'm here to say
You can't lift my hammer any day

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
That panel where miles says “hammer time!” has me rolling

It’s like the writers knowledge of black people stopped at 90s stereotypes

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gripweed posted:

Has anybody read that Miles Morales as Thor comic? There are some pages floating around on Twitter that make it look hilariously tone-deaf and terrible

Miles in continuity and out has been...not great for a few years. It almost seems like they don't know what to do with him except have him say "chacho" every now and again. The fact that they're going all in on a clone whose name is "Miles" backwards bugs me more than it should.

Noob Saibot posted:

It’s like the writers knowledge of black people stopped at 90s stereotypes

This is how I've felt ever since Saladin Ahmed took over. There's some real trying-too-hard poo poo going. "CHECK OUT MY NEW FIT BROSEPH. CHECK OUT THE Js"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah if Miles is going to truly move forward as Spider-Man in 616 and not end up event fodder or get rebranded or something within the next decade or so(a lot of fans are surprisingly keen on the idea of him taking over the Prowler identity) then he needs to become the primary Spider-Man and Peter needs to be allowed to settle down as a family man and semi-retire as Spider-Man

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There can be two Spider-Mans. It's fine.

But they should be telling the teenager storylines with Miles and the adult stuff with Peter, complete with Peter having a family.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah if Miles is going to truly move forward as Spider-Man in 616 and not end up event fodder or get rebranded or something within the next decade or so(a lot of fans are surprisingly keen on the idea of him taking over the Prowler identity) then he needs to become the primary Spider-Man and Peter needs to be allowed to settle down as a family man and semi-retire as Spider-Man

This is absolutely never going to happen.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There can even be 5 Spider-men. That's right, a family can just be 5 Spider-dads.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I also don't think family man Peter Parker is ever going to happen because most people don't seem to want to write that.

Like we'd just go through the same process we did the first time with the marriage where every writer either fails at making it interesting or writes MJ out of the book as fast as possible. Unless they bring back JMS for another decade.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh I think it can happen and honestly it would be a good idea to give Peter and Miles something to separate them.

Will it happen probably not, but there are more what if stories focused on it over the last decade so there is interest

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

This is absolutely never going to happen.

It’ll probably happen at some point as a temporary status quo, like Beyond or Superior Spider-Man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

I also don't think family man Peter Parker is ever going to happen because most people don't seem to want to write that.

Like we'd just go through the same process we did the first time with the marriage where every writer either fails at making it interesting or writes MJ out of the book as fast as possible. Unless they bring back JMS for another decade.

I feel like they could fix the problems that cropped up in the writing of their marriage with just a couple rules. Like, "Mary-Jane may never pressure Peter to stop being Spider-Man or do less to protect people" and "Their marriage is a source of strength for Peter and must never create complications or hurdles for him to overcome"

You're gonna get lovely writers no matter what, but if Mary-Jane is occasionally reduced to showing up every now and then to give Peter more web fluid at a crtiical moment, that's still a hell of a lot better than "Oh no, the Rhino is rampaging through the meat packing district, but me and MJ have an appointment with the marriage counselor! She's going to be so mad at me for saving the day instead of talking about my problems!"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

thetoughestbean posted:

So: Wonder Man. What’s his deal? Does he lose his powers if he gets tied up by a woman? Does he come from an all male island inspired by the Romans?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1537512083251765256?s=21&t=nJkJ-qqQ7CkF-ZFdTDHo8g

It's fuckin bullshit that this isn't going to be a movie by brian trenchard-smith or george miller

Incidentally kino lorber remastered "stunt rock" in 4k if you want to see the best wonder man movie that didn't get the license

https://youtu.be/4OkXef2leWA

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I wonder how tempted they’ll be to kill off Wonder Man in his show. I always heard that was a big deal in the comics, and even taught a young George R.R. Martin about the narrative power of death.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

There can be two Spider-Mans. It's fine.

But they should be telling the teenager storylines with Miles and the adult stuff with Peter, complete with Peter having a family.

There are at least 2 Wolverines (3 if you count Jonathan) and Marvel makes it work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Didn’t Marvel shove Laura to the side as quick as humanely possible once Logan came back

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

CharlestheHammer posted:

Didn’t Marvel shove Laura to the side as quick as humanely possible once Logan came back

Pretty much, although she is at least in a book these days again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

She briefly started going by X 23 again, which was dumb, them she was sidelined for a bit during Krakoa's start, lost on a mission (but I think that was Hickman building something he didn't complete when X plans changed), she's currently on the main X-Men book, sadly doesn't have a solo book like Logan does.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm a big fan of the Krakoa status quo in general, but if I don't get another Laura and Gabby and Jonathan book soon, gently caress I'll even accept a mini at this point, I'm gonna scream.

Also the Children of the Vault are coming back, and I really hope someone picked up on the idea that Laura didn't actually die in the vault and has been in there this whole time. I can't remember if it was here or on reddit I first saw that idea brought up, but I like it. Pretty sure we still haven't dealt with the idea of what happens when someone gets resurrected without proof of death, and then they show up alive, but it could be a cool story.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

She briefly started going by X 23 again, which was dumb, them she was sidelined for a bit during Krakoa's start, lost on a mission (but I think that was Hickman building something he didn't complete when X plans changed), she's currently on the main X-Men book, sadly doesn't have a solo book like Logan does.
That X 23 revert was dumb but that series was so incredibly pretty!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

cant cook creole bream posted:

That X 23 revert was dumb but that series was so incredibly pretty!

Juan Cabal is fantastic. Four years ago in this very thread I kept gushing about his art on that book.

X-O posted:

Still loving X-23. The story is real good, but man I am falling in love with Juan Cabal's art.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean unless Laura's popularity eclipsed Logan's this was always going to happen. Which is also why Miles' clock is also ticking.

I enjoy both those characters but the idea of having multiple heroes just calling themselves Spider-Man, Wolverine and even Thor running around was never something Marvel was going to push long-term. And honestly I wouldn't want them to - you've crafted these characters, give them their own names. If you don't it just lessens them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

We’ve had two captain Americas for something like 6 or 7 years at this point

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sam went back to falcon after secret empire

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like Captain America is one of the few legacy characters that make sense.

Him and whatever is going on with Dr. Strange

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

site posted:

sam went back to falcon after secret empire

He’s Cap again as of a few months ago, and in the MCU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yes but he has not been cap for the last 6 or 7 years, is the point

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's less cut and dry with the multiple incarnations thing than just yes or no. Multiple Captain Americas works for me because Captain America, more than most superheroes, is a role (even if Steve created and defined that role) and one that can probably be beneficial by having more than one of them. This is why I would not object to Dick Grayson going around in a blue and gray costume and calling himself Batman.

Conversely, I don't really get why you would want to have multiple Wolverines; being Wolverine might be cool to comics readers, but in continuity it means you're stinky, short, hairy, prone to having your brain tampered with, and probably have a 3-digit body count. Then you have the idea of multiple Thors, which isn't weird when you're a horse alien with his own name, but as cool as Mighty Jane is, just calling herself Thor will always have the whiff of Glen Jacobs as Fake Diesel to me.

Still, for the purpose of clarity, I think it wouldn't hurt to give characters like Miles a distinct sub-title like how Gwen is technically Spider-Woman, but everyone thinks of her as Spider-Gwen. Which I swear is not just me trying to get Marvel to officially refer to Sam Wilson as Captain Falcon. Nosiree, I would never do that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

I mean unless Laura's popularity eclipsed Logan's this was always going to happen. Which is also why Miles' clock is also ticking.

I enjoy both those characters but the idea of having multiple heroes just calling themselves Spider-Man, Wolverine and even Thor running around was never something Marvel was going to push long-term. And honestly I wouldn't want them to - you've crafted these characters, give them their own names. If you don't it just lessens them.

Laura hasn't starred in an incredibly popular Oscar-winning movie though*. Miles as Spider-Man is safe for a good long time... unless Marvel does something loving stupid which, granted, we can never fully discount in the Big Two.

*(Stop, I know what you're typing, Logan does not count. Aside from not winning an Oscar, Laura was not the star of the movie. Presumably an actual movie starring Laura as Wolverine would not have her as a child.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Miles has been Spider-Man in the 616 for six years. He has a very popular movie series where he is called Spider-Man. He has a very popular video game where he is called Spider-Man.

They're not going to stop calling him Spider-Man.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

OnimaruXLR posted:

as cool as Mighty Jane is, just calling herself Thor will always have the whiff of Glen Jacobs as Fake Diesel to me.

Can of coke for that reference.

Thor was always a particularly weird one because of it just being the dude's name. Like it's a name people have, I literally have a friend I play Vermintide with called Thor. Trying to turn that into a mantle without adjusting the name was like trying to add weight and grandiose mysticism to the epic mantle of Frank.

quote:

Laura hasn't starred in an incredibly popular Oscar-winning movie though*. Miles as Spider-Man is safe for a good long time... unless Marvel does something loving stupid which, granted, we can never fully discount in the Big Two.

And with that kind of success Miles would probably be well on his way to straight-up usurping the role for himself, if it were anybody but Peter Parker in that role, but Pete is just too established and too good a character. They're not going to give Miles the heave-ho anytime soon, but they're also not going to have two Spider-Men running around forever. At least not without hammering down a status quo where both work together, which they currently haven't done. They'll always want to keep Pete around high-school college age for the movies and shows, and that makes the mentor-inheritor dynamic fall apart.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Thor was always a particularly weird one because of it just being the dude's name. Like it's a name people have, I literally have a friend I play Vermintide with called Thor. Trying to turn that into a mantle without adjusting the name was like trying to add weight and grandiose mysticism to the epic mantle of Frank.

It works for Thor because the original premise of the comic character was that Donald Blake was just some guy who got the powers of the Norse god by wielding Mjolnir. And while it got retconned that Blake was always Thor, the "Whoever wields this hammer" bit never went away. Jane wasn't even the first person to take on the mantle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think there is a much, much greater chance of Peter and Miles just awkwardly coexisting instead of Miles somehow usurping.

Hell at this point Miles whole reason for being Spider man doesn’t really make sense. Because comics

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think there is a much, much greater chance of Peter and Miles just awkwardly coexisting instead of Miles somehow usurping.

Hell at this point Miles whole reason for being Spider man doesn’t really make sense. Because comics

When they combined worlds they should have just paved over the Ultimate origin and made Miles the original Spider-Man of his universe but brought to the 616.

I don't see Miles going anywhere for a long time but one thing that is annoying about his character is that there are several versions out there that, while not of equal popularity, none are exactly obscure either. Like usually when a character changes or has stuff retconned about them it happens over many years and there aren't several overlapping versions so there's time for the vision of the character to be honed but with Miles you've got a game series and a movie series and then Miles-esque MCU Peter and the comic books and the animated series'. Who is he? A legacy character, a second Spider-Man? Are his parents alive, which one? Oh now it's the other one?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can see Miles getting some dumb editorial stunts done to him, like him temporarily becoming a Venom or Carnage, or, God forbid, Chasm

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I find it extremely hard to believe that Miles hasn't been a Venom already

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
guess what happened during King in black

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

At this point, it might be easier to make a list of characters who haven't been Venom/Carnage/another symbiot/a poison/knullified/etc.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guess what also happened in Dark Ages lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Update on my journey through the Krakoan x-men (should i be posting this in the x-thread?) - I just finished the issue of x-force with the rapid fire contests and lol what the gently caress is this

It's pretty funny (Gorgon going all :haw: at the rocks), but is completely tonally dissonant with the start of the event, which is all very serious and epic in that great Hickman way.