Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you still smoke cigarettes in 2022 then you are probably 90 years old and grew up in a time when people just threw their trash on the ground. You can't talk to someone that old, they will carry on doing things their way.

Lol, literally in my 30s.

I dont know what kind of privileged bubble you live in, but it really says a lot about you that you have literally no one around your immediate social circle that smokes cigarettes. Young people are smoking just as much as they have been for years around here. There is literally zero loving reason to not forgo long-term physical wellbeing for immediate mental respite in this exact period of time.

It just goes to show that people like you are so terminally dissonanced from the state of the world we're not even talking on the same plane of understanding. You live in a bubble because it hurts not to. And yes, I dont trust anyone who doesn't smoke these days. If you KNOW, then you must have an outlet for your demons and I'd love to know what it is. If you do not, you simply DON'T KNOW and you read this thread only to feel better about yourself superimposed on all the deranged "super normal" littering lunatics.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I only litter my cancer sticks in a sprawling urban environment because doing it in nature is hosed up even by my standards. But at least Im honest about that, instead of cultivating my own loving "garden" or restoring old dumbass knitting machines for epic social upvotes in my favorite social forum that makes me feel really good about myself to maintain my crumbling sanity. Im laid bare. I know Im turning into a piece of poo poo. But I think I loving earned the right to it. If the richest fucks of this world get to terminally consign my future and the future of my hypothetical children to mass death and generational suffering then I can flick some cigarette butts out of the window of my car so that my car smells nice and lets me pretend I have my poo poo together to some degree, and you are free to go gently caress yourself into eternity if you believe otherwise. I have enough balls to admit that both in real life and on this platform, and the reaction Ive been getting is totally fine and expected even if it's funny that people are losing their poo poo over someone littering but a billionaire taking 28 flights in a month is like no big deal, really. Business as usual, lol. Next thing you'll tell me is that one can care about both!!! or some other stupid rear end loving cope poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Tony Tone posted:

Lol, literally in my 30s.

I dont know what kind of privileged bubble you live in, but it really says a lot about you that you have literally no one around your immediate social circle that smokes cigarettes. Young people are smoking just as much as they have been for years around here. There is literally zero loving reason to not forgo long-term physical wellbeing for immediate mental respite in this exact period of time.

It just goes to show that people like you are so terminally dissonanced from the state of the world we're not even talking on the same plane of understanding. You live in a bubble because it hurts not to. And yes, I dont trust anyone who doesn't smoke these days. If you KNOW, then you must have an outlet for your demons and I'd love to know what it is. If you do not, you simply DON'T KNOW and you read this thread only to feel better about yourself superimposed on all the deranged "super normal" littering lunatics.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I only litter my cancer sticks in a sprawling urban environment because doing it in nature is hosed up even by my standards. But at least Im honest about that, instead of cultivating my own loving "garden" or restoring old dumbass knitting machines for epic social upvotes in my favorite social forum that makes me feel really good about myself to maintain my crumbling sanity. Im laid bare. I know Im turning into a piece of poo poo. But I think I loving earned the right to it. If the richest fucks of this world get to terminally consign my future and the future of my hypothetical children to mass death and generational suffering then I can flick some cigarette butts out of the window of my car so that my car smells nice and lets me pretend I have my poo poo together to some degree, and you are free to go gently caress yourself into eternity if you believe otherwise. I have enough balls to admit that both in real life and on this platform, and the reaction Ive been getting is totally fine and expected even if it's funny that people are losing their poo poo over someone littering but a billionaire taking 28 flights in a month is like no big deal, really. Business as usual, lol. Next thing you'll tell me is that one can care about both!!! or some other stupid rear end loving cope poo poo

sir, this is a wendy's

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Don't litter you loving assholes. There's knowing you can't make the world better, and then there's being a loving rear end in a top hat to make everyone around you miserable.

Oh no! Wouldn't want to be an rear end in a top hat to the assholes around me! Heaven forbid the massive loving crossover behind me in traffic gets upset by me flicking my cigarette butt out of the window of my car! Could you imagine how many bad vibes he will experience? Im such a Dick, bro! It's such a cringe dick move to litter! Is it SO HARD to throw that poo poo in the trash, which you will then throw into the bigger trash can, which will then get burned in bumfuck nowhere in India or Turkey and gently caress over the poorest people on this planet probably? Is that so much to ask, you douchebag? Just kill the poor people with your garbage, don't do it to your neighbors!

Funny that the people who are secretly in favor of eating the rich and revolutionizing this world through violence get a little bit peeved over something as so incredibly inconsequential as littering. How about sort your loving priorities first before you get this riled up next time.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You think I don't know man? You wanna know what I got for Christmas? Daddy bought me a carton of cigarettes. He said smoke up! The world is going to hell in a handbasket. Go ahead, smoke up Johnny!

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Tony Tone posted:

And yes, I dont trust anyone who doesn't smoke these days. If you KNOW, then you must have an outlet for your demons and I'd love to know what it is. If you do not, you simply DON'T KNOW and you read this thread only to feel better about yourself superimposed on all the deranged "super normal" littering lunatics.

What if you drink

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

goons will smoke until their lungs are more tar than lung rather than go to therapy

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

Pryor on Fire posted:

You think I don't know man? You wanna know what I got for Christmas? Daddy bought me a carton of cigarettes. He said smoke up! The world is going to hell in a handbasket. Go ahead, smoke up Johnny!

Epic joke but hiding your insecurities behind humor can only really get you so far. At some point the comedic relief shtick gets a bit loving tiresome.

Before I get probated again despite never breaking any rules wrt to posting, I'd just like to say I hope people here really have a sit-down with themselves and figure out what they really feel about the impeding collapse of all your dreams, hopes and aspirations. Understand that in the next 20 years you will be faced with poo poo so heavy you will have to become a piece of poo poo yourself, just to survive. Yep, you will also litter. You probably have littered already to a degree you're not even aware of. You will find yourself completely dehumanized in a world full of dehumanized people just looking to survive. Have a real hard think if your Disney-tier shtick of being a GOOD MORAL PERSON is going to secure the wellbeing of your family and those who depend on you, and if it's really worth it to put the effort into being a good person in a dying world, even if it's technically, on some dumbass loving metaphysical philosophical level puts you into the "good guys" camp, at the end of history.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
He has a point, either individual actions matter or they don't. I went to the store today, which was an extra trip I didn't need to take (I could have went after work on Monday but I wanted to get out), and the difference between that and littering is semantic. The issue from a leftist perspective should be how possible it is for the lower class to accomplish any particular environmentalist action in comparison with the rich, who have a much greater responsibility because they have limitless resources. A lot of poor people can't easily just stop driving gas guzzling vehicles, because they have to get to work and otherwise function in our sprawling nightmare municipalities, but insofar as littering does hurt the local environment, it's easy and costless to dispose of your trash in a responsible way (assume we have a functioning waste management system, which we don't, but I still don't think it's better to just throw poo poo out the window than into a trash can) so no one has any excuse not to. Thankfully the most important thing any of us can do is costless and doesn't require any positive action, and that's not having loving kids

Also, you're ignoring another alternative: no one's forcing you to smoke and it isn't doing anything to help you survive, so your dilemma is pretty much false. You can just stop smoking, similarly a meat eater who worries about how to ethically kill cows should just stop eating them in the first place

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Ima Computer posted:

I don't litter, but...

One could argue that the act of littering is merely a means to bypass the effort and wasted energy involved in pretending to "ethically" discard your non-biodegradable waste - an act of accepting the real externalities of one's own consumption.

Is it really better to enclose that trash in non-biodegradable plastic bags, then have a big truck come pick it up and process it through a complex logistics system, sometimes being carried for hundreds of miles, for it to ultimately end up in the earth anyway in a landfill or be burned and put into the atmosphere?

Isn't that just a bunch of extra steps and added complexity? All it does is keep the trash out of sight and out of mind so that we may deny the truth of the problem: It's the trash, not what you do with it.

lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m more disgusted by the driving

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

kater posted:

I’m more disgusted by the driving

Don't worry, it's a hybrid and I vote.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Still having a hard time processing the bit where throwing your butts out the window can help you survive the apocalypse, can you go further in depth about that?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Still having a hard time processing the bit where throwing your butts out the window can help you survive the apocalypse, can you go further in depth about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6as8oVcuM

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

survive the apocalypse

lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ima Computer posted:

I don't litter, but...

One could argue that the act of littering is merely a means to bypass the effort and wasted energy involved in pretending to "ethically" discard your non-biodegradable waste - an act of accepting the real externalities of one's own consumption.

Is it really better to enclose that trash in non-biodegradable plastic bags, then have a big truck come pick it up and process it through a complex logistics system, sometimes being carried for hundreds of miles, for it to ultimately end up in the earth anyway in a landfill or be burned and put into the atmosphere?

Isn't that just a bunch of extra steps and added complexity? All it does is keep the trash out of sight and out of mind so that we may deny the truth of the problem: It's the trash, not what you do with it.
as doombrained as I am this is kind of a facetious / flippant argument. you could make the same argument for not cleaning up after your dog ("it all ends up in the ground / the sea") or in the extreme edgelord case for excusing murder ("we're all gonna die someday!")

none of us can fix the whole broken system but that's not the same as actively making your local part of the world worse. don't litter, do clean up after your dog, because ultimately all you can do is not be an rear end in a top hat. it's not your fault that doing things the "proper" way just ends up with the government being an rear end in a top hat on your behalf.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
according to xenophon, socratic morality is acting decent so you can enjoy the company of other decent people. that's good enough for me to not litter

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

TACD posted:

none of us can fix the whole broken system but that's not the same as actively making your local part of the world worse. don't litter, do clean up after your dog, because ultimately all you can do is not be an rear end in a top hat. it's not your fault that doing things the "proper" way just ends up with the government being an rear end in a top hat on your behalf.

People like you don't even realize how loving hollow and empty this sounds. It's based on nothing. It's literally absurdism. Doing good things for the sake of it carries the exact same weight as doing bad poo poo for the sake of it.

Your argument would have made sense if we still had that glimmer of chance to avert the coming climate disaster. If there was some kind of battle being fought between pollution and NOT pollution.

There isn't. All this effort to "not worsen your immediate surroundings" is completely and utterly inconsequential. In fact, it might even be WORSE for you from an accelerationist point of view. Maybe in some far-gone fringe chance more people would notice poo poo is getting worse when you accelerate it to a level where you simply put that poo poo in front of their eyes, in the most literal sense possible. Perhaps they'll get so angry and frustrated they'll join your cause for some true radical action. But that's just the beer talking again, I guess.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tony Tone posted:

People like you don't even realize how loving hollow and empty this sounds. It's based on nothing. It's literally absurdism. Doing good things for the sake of it carries the exact same weight as doing bad poo poo for the sake of it.

Your argument would have made sense if we still had that glimmer of chance to avert the coming climate disaster. If there was some kind of battle being fought between pollution and NOT pollution.

There isn't. All this effort to "not worsen your immediate surroundings" is completely and utterly inconsequential. In fact, it might even be WORSE for you from an accelerationist point of view. Maybe in some far-gone fringe chance more people would notice poo poo is getting worse when you accelerate it to a level where you simply put that poo poo in front of their eyes, in the most literal sense possible. Perhaps they'll get so angry and frustrated they'll join your cause for some true radical action. But that's just the beer talking again, I guess.

this is your brain on consequentialism folks, don't let it happen to you.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

do you take the cart back to the corral when you shop? asking for a friend

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tony Tone posted:

if you really believed this you'd start making GBS threads on the carpet instead of in the toilet like a coward

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

do you take the cart back to the corral when you shop? asking for a friend

Funny you ask, I dont take a cart at all you loving piece of poo poo. I take my goddamned environmentally-friendly plastic bag and carry that heavy goddamned bag all throughout the huge loving supermarket like a dumbass until I reach the register, then I pay and carry it out directly to my car and then to my apartment.

I dont actually know why I do this, but it's funny because I haven't touched a supermarket cart in at least 15 years so I completely missed the cart-debate poo poo from a few years ago.

e: I dont know if its plastic it's some weird rear end loving tarp-like material. You know the ones, probably.

Tony Tone has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jun 18, 2022

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

TACD posted:

if you really believed this you'd start making GBS threads on the carpet instead of in the toilet like a coward

That would smell bad in my living room, the only place I actually have a carpet in. It connects well into my earlier point about cigarette butts stinking up my car which you would've known if you loving paid attention.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tony Tone posted:

That would smell bad in my living room, the only place I actually have a carpet in. It connects well into my earlier point about cigarette butts stinking up my car which you would've known if you loving paid attention.
sounds like you already do two things to not worsen your immediate surroundings

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Raine posted:

i used to chain smoke reds before i found out i could get the equivalent amount of nicotine from vaping nic salts

added bonus is that you don't tar your lungs. it's probably still cheaper, too

zoomers have it right when it comes to vaping. poo poo rocks

i don't use much nicotine but I've switched 95% to making weed into oil and then vaping that. Any time I smoke more than a little, water filtered or not it makes my throat and lungs feel ripped up.

poo poo rocks

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Tony Tone posted:

wow, the qcs posters mighta been right about this thread

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

All these bad things I do? They're good actually, and you shouldn't trust anyone who doesn't do them. No, I am not in any way similar to the middle schooler who was a huge rear end in a top hat that smelled like poo poo but believed classmates didn't like him because he was just too smart for everyone else. Please don't say that about me. I actually am better than everyone else, because I do unique and edgy things like "smoke cigarettes" and "litter".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tony Tone posted:

all systems normal

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Stevie Lee posted:

wow, the qcs posters mighta been right about this thread

buddy are you kidding me. we got the goon version of falling down where michael douglas just litters in between crying on the internet and taking his reusable bags to the grocery store. whats qcs got

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wakko posted:

buddy are you kidding me. we got the goon version of falling down where michael douglas just litters in between crying on the internet and taking his reusable bags to the grocery store. whats qcs got

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm also cool for doing the things bad guys do in children's cartoons

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
It took me forever to figure out what QCS was before I realized it's at the bottom of the forum, and it's just a bunch of terminal cog dis experts looking to maintain their semblance of normality in a forum about the forum. It's why that other dude keeps ironic posting about normies.

It's like I'm back in 2010. I wager these people are also in their 30's, except they're surrounded by extremely wealthy people (more than 5k$ a month) IRL and are so wealthy and privileged themselves the poo poo Im talking about is just deranged loony toon poo poo to them. Climate change is real and bad but also, it's not real and it isn't as bad. I'm looking forward to learning from these people about how to live a healthy good life in the middle of a climate collapse.

If only I'd apply myself and work harder, I can earn enough money to recycle, NOT LITTER, and also feel good about the death of a fuckload of poor people.

I wish to have enough balls one day to take these gangtags seriously;

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tony Tone posted:

pathetic let me know when you’ve spent the afternoon throwing out a cartons worth of half smoked reds while doing loops in a gulfstream over central California you stupid optimist bitch

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what are you even posting about, just relax and enjoy some dread

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Best post you made in half a decade. Number goes up.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
if you find it therapeutic to walk among nature and pick empty cans from the shore because your poo poo rear end country is too stupid to have a tare system, go and do that. that is great for your brain, and the people around you who have to deal with your ennui. but do not make the mistake of thinking any potential future we're headed for is altered by any of your individual actions. we are on this road of imminent ecological catastrophe our species has chosen, and the only thing we can change is to make sure that the class of people responsible will not be at the head of the... ah, ship. you know, unrelatedly :guillotine:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I come to this thread for the world burning, not some edgelords livejournal.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tony Tone posted:

It took me forever to figure out what QCS was

unsurprising

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

cum jabbar posted:

what are you even posting about, just relax and enjoy some dread

I dont know man, I just want to "let go" and "enjoy life" just like all these great posters seem to be able to do. I just want to enjoy my last few good years on this loving planet floating in the goldilocks with the rest of humanity. I want to really understand what they gently caress they're talking about when they irony-post about climate change. If it's to get a reaction, then they've got it bro. What's the next stage? I aint much of a reaction I guess, but I can have a totally normal meltdown any day of the week. Is that really what this is all about?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sry birds. Not littering is only something rich people do. RIP

Granted this is all probably plastic that fell off of trash barges that the US trucks across the ocean to dump plastic garbage on other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
my next challenge in life is a gangtag