Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is he trying to do the 'act so ridiculous no one will believe your victims' thing or

Well besides obviously being crazy

I learned something in that article I didn't know. That the early KKK dressed in polka dot colors so that black victims wouldn't have anyone believing them when they were assaulted or killed. History is full of super hosed facts I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Something like that might have inspired the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo from Metal Gear Solid, where if you try to say the true name of the villains then your mouth just blurts out nonsense syllables to make you sound like a dumbass

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

I learned something in that article I didn't know. That the early KKK dressed in polka dot colors so that black victims wouldn't have anyone believing them when they were assaulted or killed. History is full of super hosed facts I guess

IIRC one reason for early gun control laws was to keep black people from having them so they couldn't shoot back when the KKK came calling.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Everyone posted:

He's been playing the role of Barry Allen for eight seasons and isn't a fugitive who grooms 12 year olds?

On a show that regularly trends for some new embarrassingly bad moment in it, yes.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Flash TV show sucks because the cast became too bloated and it’s gone on too long - but Grant G was awesome as the flash

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Pillowpants posted:

The Flash TV show sucks because the cast became too bloated and it’s gone on too long - but Grant G was awesome as the flash

Everyone got powers except for Dad Cop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sounds like a long-running comic book to me.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I find it's best to avoid taking the role of either judge, jury, or executioner in my day to day life

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The flash tv show sucks because it is awful

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Everyone posted:

He's been playing the role of Barry Allen for eight seasons and isn't a fugitive who grooms 12 year olds?

Sure. Or, hear me out, this massive studio has more options than an unstable fugitive who grooms children or the television actor from a nearly decade-old CW series.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's just an appealing idea, right? The non-prodigal child getting a reward for their long service.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggestBatman posted:

I find it's best to avoid taking the role of either judge, jury, or executioner in my day to day life

And that is why you will never be Judge Dredd.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally got around to watching Spider-man: No Way Home. I really liked it but the pacing sure falls off a cliff once the other Spider-men are revealed.

Also turns out it's impossible to mention Electro's origin without it sounding silly

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 19, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grendels Dad posted:

And that is why you will never be Judge Dredd.

Dredd risked his life to put the entire concept of policing in the hands of a public vote. As often happens with satire over time, we would now be so lucky as to have Judge Dredd.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is a scene in the newest Ms. Marvel where a kid gets himself in danger and Ms. Marvel has to save him. There is no supervillain involved, it is not part of some military adventure, and there is no violence. It’s just a situation where someone needs help and the good guy comes to help them. And I’m genuinely not sure that that the MCU has ever depicted one of their heroes doing that before?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I guess the Washington Monument scene in Spider-Man Honecoming but that was also Peter's fault

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mulva posted:

Dredd risked his life to put the entire concept of policing in the hands of a public vote. As often happens with satire over time, we would now be so lucky as to have Judge Dredd.

Dredd was much more extreme in the proof of concept strip. Originally he was meant to be a literal judge, jury and executioner doing mini trials on captured criminals. It was toned down after someone rightly pointed out that no criminal would ever actually surrender if that was a possibility, and they certainly wouldn't stand around awaiting sentence.

The other fun fact about Dredd is that strictly speaking it wasn't John Wagner who made him a hit. The first story was written by Peter Harris, an accountant who had had a couple of rejected submissions to war comics but had never been published before and never was again. It went straight to the top of the reader ratings and Dredd has almost never left it since. It's a mark of how strong the character design is that with a script written by a novice and art that had to be sexed up at the last minute because Mike McMahon's original splash was so boring, it was still an instant hit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dredd is a funny one since he tends to be a lot more humanised and even reasonable in his starring stories while when in spinoff stories from other characters' perspectives he's full-blown authoritarian hardass. Though am reminded of the strip where he's an in-universe gay icon in MC1 and seems only slightly embarrassed about it. (Of course, impersonating a judge for theatrical purposes is still a crime, if a relatively light one)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Roth posted:

I guess the Washington Monument scene in Spider-Man Honecoming but that was also Peter's fault

Peter spends part of Homecoming doing street level good work to prove himself to Tony, getting back stolen bikes and so on. The Eternals also helped people in a day to day fashion in the flashbacks to the past in their film, rigging up irrigation, catching thieves etc.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Having now finished the "Invincible" comic between seasons of the show I really don't like the themes Kirkman enshews
2 for 2 Kirk!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

The Eternals also helped people in a day to day fashion in the flashbacks to the past in their film, rigging up irrigation, catching thieves etc.

And then in the present they lead a Deviant away from an empty riverside path to a crowded street for no discernable reason.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Aren’t all of the Netflix shows basically about helping regular people?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Upsidads posted:

Having now finished the "Invincible" comic between seasons of the show I really don't like the themes Kirkman enshews
2 for 2 Kirk!

I really did not like Invincible the comic

I have never seen the animated series but it's been weird hearing it praised so much

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Burkion posted:

I really did not like Invincible the comic

I have never seen the animated series but it's been weird hearing it praised so much
The animated series didn't get to all of the bad comic stuff yet

The animated series has J.K. Simmons

The animated series has memes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I never understood that Thanos argument. In Endgame when the past Thanos finds out about the Snap he seems to imply that he thought the people of the universe would keep itself stable afterwards(probably out of fear of a 2nd snap) and since that didn’t happen he just decides to wipe everything. It makes sense, halving the population doesn’t mean it won’t just grow again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's almost like Thanos is unreasonable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RatHat posted:

I never understood that Thanos argument. In Endgame when the past Thanos finds out about the Snap he seems to imply that he thought the people of the universe would keep itself stable afterwards(probably out of fear of a 2nd snap) and since that didn’t happen he just decides to wipe everything. It makes sense, halving the population doesn’t mean it won’t just grow again.
It's the single dumbest plot element I've ever seen in a movie OP

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

You have to understand that the context for 'make more' comes from strictly the first movie.

The first movie is where Thanos is being presented as 'reasonable.' So the reasonable argument is make more resources, not kill more people

Endgame then reveals the lie that it was never about belief, that he's just a psycho who wants to kill people. He has no interest in fixing anything.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Burkion posted:

You have to understand that the context for 'make more' comes from strictly the first movie.

The first movie is where Thanos is being presented as 'reasonable.' So the reasonable argument is make more resources, not kill more people

Endgame then reveals the lie that it was never about belief, that he's just a psycho who wants to kill people. He has no interest in fixing anything.

I mean if you understand the Infinity Stones as granting one "wish" it would of been infinite resources for everyone.

But Thanos is a crazy genocidal dictator trying to justify his actions and picks genocide.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean if you understand the Infinity Stones as granting one "wish" it would of been infinite resources for everyone.

But Thanos is a crazy genocidal dictator trying to justify his actions and picks genocide.

Right but the whole conceit of Infinity War was that Thanos was a HARD MAN MAKING HARD CHOICES

Which is where the counter of 'infinite resources tho' came from. Then Endgame reveals that he's just a blunt psycho who really wants to kill people and that's about the end of it. You'll notice that his popularity with Certain Circles pretty much died after Endgame where he was shown to be a moron.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thanos is an idiot. When do evil villains need to have a fool proof logical plan for their nonsense. All that matters is it matters to them.

This very forum had someone try and bomb cows to save the world lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
All this shows is that we really lost something without Death-worshipping Thanos who was in love with the skeleton lady who never gave him the time of day

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Thanos's plan makes no sense in the MCU because:

--Half of the human population now is more than the world population in the 1960s which according to my records is not some beacon for environmentalism and peace
--If animals count, halving the amount of bees in the world doesn't really help things

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Valve Steam Deck posted:

All this shows is that we really lost something without Death-worshipping Thanos who was in love with the skeleton lady who never gave him the time of day

Yea this would have been insanely dope

I wouldn’t mind insane idiot Thanos but it would help if literally any of the heroes pointed out the dumbness in one of his several monologues, then he just gets all petulant and lashes out. Instead they all seem to concede the point then go “but it’s too big a sacrifice!” or whatever. I really hate how it seems to want to have its cake and eat it too, where there was a ton of people praising his characterization as a villain with an understandable motivation but then when questioned would go “it doesn’t matter lol he’s obviously the bad guy and wrong”.

Actually another great alternative would be a villain who earnestly believes something even dumber that the heroes also don’t really react to like “yea I want to destroy the sun to get the sweet lemonade inside” and Thor is like “but at what cost!?”

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I like when he's talking to Gamora about it and he says "you have to have exactly 50% of the number of people currently alive, and then there will be paradise" and the best response she can come up with is "you don't know that!"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's a bit undermined by the fact that he has been at this genociding business for a while, so he does, in fact, know if this approach works or not, and indeed Endgame seems to bear his theory out, considering nature is healing and all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh he loves killin

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Oh he loves killin

Oh boy here he goes killin again

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

That's a bit undermined by the fact that he has been at this genociding business for a while, so he does, in fact, know if this approach works or not, and indeed Endgame seems to bear his theory out, considering nature is healing and all

Yeah it's real, real lovely.

Endgame basically takes the have its cake and eat it too thing to its logical extreme by having Thanos be presented as correct, and then also show that he's a gibbering madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh yeah, I'd actually forgotten about the Endgame "nature is healing" stuff. Thanos was right, but it's depressing that he's right!