Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Felonious_Monk posted:

Skinner never said it, that's pure Armin

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Armin episode is funny and if you start to criticize a Simpsons episode using the word "canon" then Imma tune you out fr.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

So did we all agree everything started going down hill the episode with Skinner being an imposter

This is a weird thing that the internet is still hung up on because that episode was "shocking" at the time. In reality it doesn't even come close to the depths of horrible the show would hit just two seasons later. It also is far from the first episode where "cracks" started to show. It isn't even that bad of an episode and it tries something interesting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they did the story where a character dies and is then replaced by a double that looks and acts just like them so everyone just shrugs and decides to just call them by the original's name twice lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I remember my dad laughin n laughin when that bunny rabbit goes flingin off in the distance when they get lost in the woods, laughing and laughing. Hahaha… (weeping) I miss my daddy

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This is a weird thing that the internet is still hung up on because that episode was "shocking" at the time. In reality it doesn't even come close to the depths of horrible the show would hit just two seasons later. It also is far from the first episode where "cracks" started to show. It isn't even that bad of an episode and it tries something interesting.

I remember when it came out and I was disapointed. It undermined Skinner's episodes and character before it. I stand by my opinion

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That DICK! posted:

I remember my dad laughin n laughin when that bunny rabbit goes flingin off in the distance when they get lost in the woods, laughing and laughing. Hahaha… (weeping) I miss my daddy

We used to watch as a family until Homer repeatedly fell in the canyon then my parents were done with it. Fortunately it wasn’t banned and I could still watch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My family watched it religiously every week for years. Then my brother and I went to stay with my super religious aunt and uncle in Ohio who barely allowed TV and who thought the Simpsons was godless heathen propaganda. We wheedled and cajoled them into letting us watch it, which we were used to doing every week, trying desperately to convince them that it wasn't as bad as they had heard, and they finally relented.

That week's new episode was "Homer the Heretic"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

I wasn't allowed to stay up late enough to watch The Simpsons, but I distinctly remember walking into the living room right at this moment and all three of us dying laughing instead of me getting sent right back to bed.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

That DICK! posted:

My "rabbit theory" of the simpsons is that it truly was great beginning from that moment and lost its greatness with the dead rabbit joke in Trash of the Titans. Those are the boundaries of classic Simpsons

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I remember when it came out and I was disapointed. It undermined Skinner's episodes and character before it. I stand by my opinion

When the episode first aired, I felt the same way. Nowadays, I really don’t give a poo poo lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i agree but its still a funny episode so homer's enemy is a land of contrasts

Oh, it's a hilarious episode. Bart and Milhouse and the factory is one of my favorite subplots in the series.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

One of my favorite parts of “Homer’s Enemy” is how the factory subplot intersects with main plot. Just this offhand mention of Bart owning a factory, and Grimes takes it at face value and it just adds to his spitefulness.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Awesomesaurus posted:

One of my favorite parts of “Homer’s Enemy” is how the factory subplot intersects with main plot. Just this offhand mention of Bart owning a factory, and Grimes takes it at face value and it just adds to his spitefulness.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The end of Homer's Enemy is just too dark and macabre for The Simpsons. If it was meant to try and put a thumb in the viewer's eye, they didn't have to do it considering the fan base was already on board with them, and if they were trying to make a legit gag, it feels suspiciously weak and overly tone deaf.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

AHH F/UGH posted:

The end of Homer's Enemy is just too dark and macabre for The Simpsons. If it was meant to try and put a thumb in the viewer's eye, they didn't have to do it considering the fan base was already on board with them, and if they were trying to make a legit gag, it feels suspiciously weak and overly tone deaf.

it was hilarious and a great episode

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Lenny's head really be doing something

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Homers enemy wasn't macabre enough.

PostNouveau posted:

I wasn't allowed to stay up late enough to watch The Simpsons, but I distinctly remember walking into the living room right at this moment and all three of us dying laughing instead of me getting sent right back to bed.

Simpsons was on about 19:30 on Friday over here.

I.e. several hours before any imaginable bedtime. How late was it shown where you were at.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I.e. several hours before any imaginable bedtime. How late was it shown where you were at.

I think it was 8:30? I was, like, a kindergartener or something

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG0XDa5KMO8

only in America would Simpsons be considered late-night and not appropriate for children, as the Simpsons often parodied

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hrist posted:

The thing is, from Grimes' point of view, Homer does nothing, and gets rewarded constantly, and gets to coast through life in his 'mansion'. It would be insanely frustrating to the guy that worked for his titles and whatever, and gets nothing for it.

excuse me Lenny and Carl both have their masters.

Also this is one of my favorite nonsense gags in the entire show:

Modern Simpsons would explain why he had that photo.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bart vs Australia is still the best episode of all time.

ain't no best or worst, only tiers (only room for Last Exit to Springfield, Marge vs the Monorail, Homer the Great, and $pringfield in the top one though, sorry)

The Awesomesaurus posted:

What makes it even better is that no one else mentions it, or acts surprised. It is known that Bart owns a factory downtown, and it has been incoprorated into their daily life already.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just tell me Lenny is Ok.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

up yours children

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Boba Pearl posted:

Just tell me Lenny is Ok.

last I heard he got pudding in his eye.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Latest random-rear end clip to discuss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLwB7RuFdw

The real funny thing is that Homer at least tried to actually do the task after it was passed down to him through basically presumably everyone else in the plant.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The real funny thing is that Homer at least tried to actually do the task after it was passed down to him through basically presumably everyone else in the plant.

it does prove that Homer can read

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mr Interweb posted:

i like it. and even liked it at the time as well!

my only issue is that grimes financial situation was exaggerated mostly for comedic purposes but doesn't really make sense when you think about it. he got a job as a fairly high ranking employee at nuclear power plant. he should be able to afford an apartment better than where he was at without also having to do a part time job on top of it!
Frank Grimes was a tier two employee. Like UAW employees hired after 2008. The Simpsons were always ahead of their time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

Frank Grimes was a tier two employee. Like UAW employees hired after 2008. The Simpsons were always ahead of their time

Also Springfield almost certainly has built gently caress all new affordable housing in the last 8 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way the moustache guy waddles down the hall cracks me up. Remember when the Simpsons had funny animation, just cuz

What is this scene a parody of? It has to be referencing something; there's rarely bespoke music like that if it isn't a specific reference, right?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Data Graham posted:

What is this scene a parody of? It has to be referencing something; there's rarely bespoke music like that if it isn't a specific reference, right?

I looked it up because I was curious, too, and it’s apparently a parody of some FedEx commercials with John “Motormouth” Moschitta from the early ‘80s. Neither of these have the musical cue, but the rapid-pace talking is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK5ZjtpO-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uP5Gw2CT80

:lmao: at the guy in the background of the second commercial.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I don't know if there was an Australian ripoff of that ad or it was on one of those 'Worlds Best Ads' compilation shows that would air occasionally but I understood that reference.

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1534632328953200641

This was another one of those 'is this a reference to something?' characters and it just turns out they just wanted a weird looking guy.

Hanzo Steel
Nov 22, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

I genuinely believe maybe three dozen people actually disliked that episode and then some sour nerd wrote some semi-convincing points about why it's bad and everyone decided that was the correct opinion to have

Agreed - no idea how people can watch Dish Upon a Star/Simpsons Bible Stories/30 minutes over Tokyo (all of which resemble later Simpsons more than anything preceding) just one season later and think Principle and the Pauper is the bad seed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

anecdotally speaking, me and my friends at the time all were all in :psyduck: agreement at the time that it was a weird rear end episode. however, we still wound up enjoying the episode as a whole. the main problem with it was obviously the bizarre, completely unnecessary plot, but the episode itself was solid on one of the most important aspects: being funny. there's a lot of rapid fire, clever jokes spread all throughout, many of which me and those same friends repeat to this day (the famous 'torture' line for example). plus, as mentioned, the episode also seems a lot better in retrospect because of all the orders of magnitude worse poo poo that came after it.

as i've said repeatedly throughout this thread, TPaTP is the best worst simpsons episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also Skinner trying to go straight back to being a biker hooligan. "Up yours, children!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the principal and the pauper is a good episode that sat a bad precedent for future bad episodes imo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Skinner trying to go straight back to being a biker hooligan. "Up yours, children!"

that was hilarious and if anyone tells you otherwise they don't get comedy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Up yours, children" is literally one of the funniest Simpsons one phrase quotes and anyone who disagrees is objectively incorrect.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

"Up yours, children" is literally one of the funniest Simpsons one phrase quotes and anyone who disagrees is objectively incorrect.

:hmmyes:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
"Am I so out of touch?? No.. it's the children who are wrong."

An actual consistent and good episode of Skinner; season 5 episode 20: They Boy Who Knew Too Much

The whole scene is less than a minute and hits at least 8 great jokes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVddGSTjEd0

1. Bart talking about his teeth problems and so specific like an adult
2. Crabapple saying nonchalantly that she trusts bart and then taking it straight to Skinner
3. The letter is hilariously obvious written by Bart
4. crime lab for such a silly thing.
5. the tracking implants only Martin volunteered to wear, the only one that would never be truant.
6. Skinner thinking he is sly and knows where kids would go to skip school (a museum lol)
7. Skinner going to the 4-h club (i don't know what this means but I guess an old timey place for kids to hang) and its broken down in a dilapidated part of the city showing that he's totally out of touch with what kids do and where they go
8. the final zinger line by Skinner, in totaly denial

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lascivious Sloth posted:

"Am I so out of touch?? No.. it's the children who are wrong."

An actual consistent and good episode of Skinner; season 5 episode 20: They Boy Who Knew Too Much

The whole scene is less than a minute and hits at least 8 great jokes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVddGSTjEd0

1. Bart talking about his teeth problems and so specific like an adult
2. Crabapple saying nonchalantly that she trusts bart and then taking it straight to Skinner
3. The letter is hilariously obvious written by Bart
4. crime lab for such a silly thing.
5. the tracking implants only Martin volunteered to wear, the only one that would never be truant.
6. Skinner thinking he is sly and knows where kids would go to skip school (a museum lol)
7. Skinner going to the 4-h club (i don't know what this means but I guess an old timey place for kids to hang) and its broken down in a dilapidated part of the city showing that he's totally out of touch with what kids do and where they go
8. the final zinger line by Skinner, in totaly denial

cool. you explained the joke. good job