Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

HackensackBackpack posted:

More like Battle Sigh whenever I get killed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The most obvious things frontlines needs is the bog standard mmo aoe target cap, like 50% less damage on targets after 5 or whatever so it wouldn't change crystal conflict. It would be interesting to see how it would feel without battle high as an experiment, but whatever it's probably fine

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

pvp is doodoo and they need to remove battle high and put in a buff that makes it so any damage from people other than the last person to hit you in the past second is reduced by 75% or more

skill issue

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

pvp is doodoo and they need to remove battle high and put in a buff that makes it so any damage from people other than the last person to hit you in the past second is reduced by 75% or more

lmfao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did not expect to hear a desire for 1v1 me at mid bro in FFXIV

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Frontlines should be about each grand company's alliances just lining up facing the others and each selects a champion and sends them out to duel.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Battle High definitely shouldn't be removed as it serves as one of the match-ender mechanics, keeping one-sided matches from going overly long. It's also the one that's not insurmountable, as the others are based on map mechanics that push fights to happen over fewer resources.

No matter what level of Battle High you're at, you lose half of it when you get KO'd. Securing a KO on someone with BH5 will knock them down to BH2, severely reducing their damage output. If you're BH3 or lower and can get that KO, I'd say it's absolutely worth sacrificing yourself to do so.
Edit: You can see what BH someone has, even on the enemy team, by which icon they have next to their name/healthbar. The rightmost one is BH5.

Frontlines also already has a damage taken modifier applied globally. Melee all take 40% less damage and ranged take 20% less damage. Battle High also doesn't do anything for damage taken; while it does increase their healing done (including the self-heal everyone has) they still take the same damage as everyone else.

Frontlines does also have it's comeback mechanics, so it's not all about snowballing to victory. First is stealing points. Every map will give you points for getting KO's, while Seize (the map with the neutral enemies mid) is the only one that doesn't also subtract those points from the enemy team. You also get your LBs more frequently. 2nd place fills 1.25 times faster and 3rd fills 1.5 times faster. If your team is behind, don't sit on your LB! Use it! You'll get it back way faster than normally, and getting more of them out will do a lot to turn fights to your advantage by increasing your Battle High and points while doing the opposite for the enemy team.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 18, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I did not expect to hear a desire for 1v1 me at mid bro in FFXIV

im just tired of 4 man premades instantly aoenuking half my alliance at an objective

i just want the goddamn seal rock coat i wouldn't care about wins otherwise

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
drat the enemy team is using coordination to win.

How is that fair?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Teamwork is OP

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Power of friendship is op and must not be allowed

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Keep Battle High in, but make it so you're worth more points the higher your Battle High is.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just add a target cap or diminishing returns after hitting over 5 targets to pvp aoes

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP heads to the Peaks, where the game takes the controversial political stance that Imperialism might, in fact, be bad.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

...Has this site broken me? Am I the only one who sees goatse icons for BH4 and 5?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

HPanda posted:

...Has this site broken me? Am I the only one who sees goatse icons for BH4 and 5?

!!TEMPERED!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

drat the enemy team is using coordination to win.

How is that fair?

zero counterplay to four people pressing buttons at the same time is poo poo design when the battle is 72 people large hth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A group of people working together loving stomp in Frontlines" has been true for every variation on the game because while the matches are 72 people large you can assume 90% of that group is basically just following and hitting buttons. Frontlines isn't really concerned so much with balance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kitfox88 posted:

zero counterplay to four people pressing buttons at the same time is poo poo design when the battle is 72 people large hth

There is it's called coordinating with your team. I'm sorry that team play in a group encounter is inherently better than silently seething at your team for not helping you but there's no change you can do to that because that's an inherent condition of...team sports without making it absolutely boring or bad like your suggestion of making so only 1v1ing is viable because if a healer manages to tag someone your better DPS classes suddenly contribute next to nothing to the encounter.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tbf it's less "teamwork is OP" and more "i saw a dragon in the middle of the enemy team so i shot my laser and now theyre all dead"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Tbf it's less "teamwork is OP" and more "i saw a dragon in the middle of the enemy team so i shot my laser and now theyre all dead"

Situational awareness is also OP, pls nerf

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If you have normal egi size enabled the dragon is the size of a raidboss so it's kind of hard to miss

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have heard rumors that Eureka is now approachable solo... is this true? Even if there is no fate train or I want to try to do it in little chunks instead of being On The Train for six hours?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nessus posted:

I have heard rumors that Eureka is now approachable solo... is this true? Even if there is no fate train or I want to try to do it in little chunks instead of being On The Train for six hours?

Yeah you can go solo pretty well and just hop to fates when you can. Probably buy a vermillion cloak or kirin osode before you go though, just for a leg-up.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gonna repeat what I said before, it isn't super obvious from looking at the verm cloak / kirin's osode but they're BiS for Eureka and effectively make you like 2-3 Elemental levels higher than you actually are. They're the difference between being able to pull eight trash mobs and obliterate them, and struggling to kill like two or three things at once

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I know Eureka has its own XP system but is it also worth regular XP?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rantmo posted:

I know Eureka has its own XP system but is it also worth regular XP?

No.

Unlike Bozja, you can't enter Eureka before the level cap of the expansion it's from (70), so it doesn't give any XP at all. However, you will be absolutely drowning in poetics tomestones, so it's a nice opportunity to work on an anima weapon too, or buy gear for classes that are still leveling.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That's what I thought, thanks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eureka = win.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

"A group of people working together loving stomp in Frontlines" has been true for every variation on the game because while the matches are 72 people large you can assume 90% of that group is basically just following and hitting buttons. Frontlines isn't really concerned so much with balance.

In old Frontlines, can a party of 4 queued as a group coordinate to such an extent that they can just instant KO the entire enemy group with zero counterplay by summoning 4 bahamuts from range with relative safety?

There's definitely a balance issue here, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing a whole alliance stack of just summoners and nothing else.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
There are too many venues!! I feel like there are 2x as many venues in operation as there were this time last year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The FC emblem goes on the side of the calfskin rider's cap instead of the front, 0/10

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

shoc77 posted:

In old Frontlines, can a party of 4 queued as a group coordinate to such an extent that they can just instant KO the entire enemy group with zero counterplay by summoning 4 bahamuts from range with relative safety?

There's definitely a balance issue here, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing a whole alliance stack of just summoners and nothing else.

Yes. There is a reason "join in a murderball" was such a popular tactic here in old PVP. Once you got some Battle Highs going there was nothing anyone could do against coordination except with coordination of their own.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Nessus posted:

challenge log works well if you're doing it slowly over time, and you can easily do it solo. I'd still recommend joining up for NMs tho, they're good xp. reflect farming is also fun and good in pyros and hydatos!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

shoc77 posted:

if you can't beat em, join em and do a calamity reenactment imo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OH if you do Eureka try to get your hands on some of these too:

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Potion_of_Harmony

One of the main ways to get elemental levels is to do the Eureka challenge log entries, but just killing the mobs themselves gives you a lot of XP, so Potions of Harmony are quite helpful

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

One question about Eureka: can you work on a relic weapon/armor different from the job you want to use? I wanted to go as WHM/RDM once I get them to 70 for the res utility but I also want to work on my tank armor eventually.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pretty sure you can, since eureka relics just require materials you get from doing eureka normally. the only hitch is that unlocking light farms in pagos and pyros requires finishing weapons for the previous zones, but even the light farm step is job-agnostic in eureka

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

One question about Eureka: can you work on a relic weapon/armor different from the job you want to use? I wanted to go as WHM/RDM once I get them to 70 for the res utility but I also want to work on my tank armor eventually.

Yes, you just buy the upgrades at the NPC, no need to actually use it/the job inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cool. Now I gotta get those jobs to 70 before jumping in.