Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I barely saw the slaw!

A pity, the potaters certainly have the look of being extremely tasty but I can see how it wouldn't stack up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Had a lot of spare bacon to use up

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pre footy feed

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iajanus posted:

Pre footy feed

Bloody hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I feel like I keep posting the same thing over and over but I do not feel compelled to stop.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Here's a Havarti double smash burger, lettuce, tomato on a homemade Hawaiian bun that I made this past Friday.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I didn’t make it, but holy poo poo:

Roasted garlic aioli, garlic chipotle cheese, tomato jam.

This spot, for anyone local.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

beerinator posted:

Here's a Havarti double smash burger, lettuce, tomato on a homemade Hawaiian bun that I made this past Friday.

Straight fire. Any chance you’d share the bun recipe?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ogopogo posted:

Straight fire. Any chance you’d share the bun recipe?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's one I've been working on. It's here: https://boundedbybuns.com/recipes/r/hawaiian-sweet-sandwich-buns

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Friday lunch means burgs. Today was a brisket and blue cheese with reaper wings on the side.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
WTF

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I love this, lacy crispy simplicity.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

iajanus posted:

Friday lunch means burgs. Today was a brisket and blue cheese with reaper wings on the side.

Yessss…ultra hot with burgs is awesome

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m generally not an enormous fan of ube, but the rest of that burg looks bangin’. Would.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'm finding a lot (a majority) of the non-big-chain burgers in Australia are just targeting peoples addiction to fat. I know fat = flavor but they aren't sourcing and grinding good quality meat, throw onto that too much cheese, too much sauce, and it seem to be just a big mess made to trigger peoples "reward pathways" and addiction to fat.

99% of the time your better off with a Whopper from HJ's.

It blows me away seeing some of the patronage these places making tasteless grease burgers get, but I guess if you're targeting an addiction it makes more sense.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 23, 2022

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

I'm finding a lot (a majority) of the non-big-chain burgers in Australia are just targeting peoples addiction to fat. I know fat = flavor but they aren't sourcing and grinding good quality meat, throw onto that too much cheese, too much sauce, and it seem to be just a big mess made to trigger peoples "reward pathways" and addiction to fat.

It blows me away seeing some of the patronage these places making tasteless grease burgers get, but I guess if you're targeting an addiction it makes more sense.

There's a stupid number of smash burger gimmick places that have super soft buns, too much cheese and sauce and it just turns into one greasy textureless mess.I think it is more instagram able cheeze/sauce ooze rather than a fat addiction, however people are definitely less scared of fat. kfc in Australia is rebranding back to Kentucky fried chicken because people aren't scared of it like they were in the 90s.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ok I'll cede the rest of your argument because it's pretty accurate but Jesus Christ this is never the right answer

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Not sure where you are, but this isn't really the case in Perth. There are a tonne of independents popping up all the time, but the ones that rate are generally using the Gold Standard chuck/brisket or chuck/brisket/short rib mix. Fat content is obviously up there because if you're making smash burgers or even formed patty burgers without egg/breadcrumbs etc you need it to be north of 20% or it falls apart on the grill or tastes like cardboard. Buns are usually potato - either house-made or from a local bakery that makes good potato rolls and distributes them to butchers and Spudshed, aka the Costco of Fresh Produce. Occasionally Brioche but typically on the better end of the scale in that case. Cheese is generally hi-melt American, and I don't feel that it's overdone. The good places make their own sauces, and typically don't overdo it.

There will always be try-hards that take a good thing and ruin it by pushing it too far, but that's fine, just don't eat there. I look at places like Milky Lane, which has just opened up a franchise here, and am actually doubting I will enjoy it more than any of my top 3 - but I have a thing for purity and the formula, I have an idea of how a good burger should taste, feel, and hold together. I have mates that love that place and the over the top ridiculousness of it, and it's probably because for them, going to a top-tier burger joint is a once-in-a-few-months pig-out-fetish thing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Not sure where you are, but this isn't really the case in Perth. There are a tonne of independents popping up all the time, but the ones that rate are generally using the Gold Standard chuck/brisket or chuck/brisket/short rib mix. Fat content is obviously up there because if you're making smash burgers or even formed patty burgers without egg/breadcrumbs etc you need it to be north of 20% or it falls apart on the grill or tastes like cardboard. Buns are usually potato - either house-made or from a local bakery that makes good potato rolls and distributes them to butchers and Spudshed, aka the Costco of Fresh Produce. Occasionally Brioche but typically on the better end of the scale in that case. Cheese is generally hi-melt American, and I don't feel that it's overdone. The good places make their own sauces, and typically don't overdo it.

There will always be try-hards that take a good thing and ruin it by pushing it too far, but that's fine, just don't eat there. I look at places like Milky Lane, which has just opened up a franchise here, and am actually doubting I will enjoy it more than any of my top 3 - but I have a thing for purity and the formula, I have an idea of how a good burger should taste, feel, and hold together. I have mates that love that place and the over the top ridiculousness of it, and it's probably because for them, going to a top-tier burger joint is a once-in-a-few-months pig-out-fetish thing.

Milky Lane is excellent here in Brisbane, hope they're as good there too. This was my last burg there. Simple but excellent.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I had assumed that the stuff they plaster all over social media is on the more ostentatious end of their menu. That looks solid.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I had pulled pork burgers today, and somehow managed to get it just right where the miracle whip on the bottom and the melted cheese over it (heated for a few seconds in the microwave to get it melty) prevented the bun from being soggy, while the coleslaw was just exactly the right amount of acidic to offset the pulled pork deliciousness from being soaked in its own juices after being pulled apart when coming off the grill.
Overall, a huge success, that I wish I'd taken pictures of - but unfortunately, it was too delicious for me to remember.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I'm coming to really like tossing a whole rear end slice of onion on the pan after I smash the patties, then stacking the patties on the slice of onion until it's soft.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jesus, Miracle Whip?

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

a sexual elk posted:

Jesus, Miracle Whip?

And the thread was going so well too

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

a sexual elk posted:

Jesus, Miracle Whip?

what the gently caress man? no.
Dukes or kewpie.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry just flash backs of being a kid and my dumbass poor dad pulling out a tub of miracle whip for our bologna on white bread sandwiches (cause it’s the same thing!!) and having to force it down till the tub was gone, sugary chemical waste

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Thank gently caress that stuff doesn't seem to exist on my continent

Yet

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The one thing we don't really have here that would be nice to be able to get more easily is liquid-at-room temperature cheese/queso. Yeah it's basically a petrochemical product, but every now and then a jar of tostitos jar cheese is a fun time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

The one thing we don't really have here that would be nice to be able to get more easily is liquid-at-room temperature cheese/queso. Yeah it's basically a petrochemical product, but every now and then a jar of tostitos jar cheese is a fun time.

You can make a tasty knockoff if you have sodium citrate. You can even use quality cheese for it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can make a tasty knockoff if you have sodium citrate. You can even use quality cheese for it.

Additionally, you can pour this onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and when it’s set cut it into kraft singles.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm coming to really like tossing a whole rear end slice of onion on the pan after I smash the patties, then stacking the patties on the slice of onion until it's soft.

Miracle whip nonsense stepped on your post but this looks fantastic

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Jesus, Miracle Whip?
You're certainly not putting your best food forward by having the first post in this thread be yucking someone elses yum.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m just confused because that doesn’t even look like miracle whip. Anyway, I would eat it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

I’m just confused because that doesn’t even look like miracle whip. Anyway, I would eat it.

The Miracle Whip is mentioned in BlankSystemDaemon's post, they did not provide a photograph.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I had pulled pork burgers today, and somehow managed to get it just right where the miracle whip on the bottom and the melted cheese over it (heated for a few seconds in the microwave to get it melty) prevented the bun from being soggy, while the coleslaw was just exactly the right amount of acidic to offset the pulled pork deliciousness from being soaked in its own juices after being pulled apart when coming off the grill.
Overall, a huge success, that I wish I'd taken pictures of - but unfortunately, it was too delicious for me to remember.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also Miracle Whip was the preferred condiment of my parents growing up, so I can't really poo-pooh it entirely, since multiple neurons in my brain fire off happy signals to this day upon tasting it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Miracle whip is the key to the white sauce popular at Mexican places in Virginia.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm more triggered by calling a pulled pork sandwich a burg. This isn't pizza, there are rules.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I had a burger with a beef patty, pulled pork, and some andouille on it

It was a bit much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Sorry for the TikTok link, but can we get one of our resident Aussies to sample these, for the sake of the thread. Outside of Perth.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR1wAaCS/?k=1

https://twostacks.square.site/

Impeccable crust on these.