Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

as long as the procgen is seeded the same for everyone, you should be able to land anywhere and get a consistent setting for every player. there are technical challenges to do that starting from an arbitrary point and without having to generate the entire planet into memory first, but they could probably grid the planets at some resolution that still looks like you can land anywhere from a globe map on your ship’s navigation UI, but the grids are big enough you’ll never walk to the edge when you land in the middle. i.e., the grids don’t meet, because procgen with boundary conditions is hard.

there are other approaches too, just saying it’s not that hard to let you “land anywhere” if you allow some number of kilometers of wiggle room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

because i think that would imply that the world generation maps onto a fully contiguous sphere, and that you could theoretically walk around the entire world and eventually come to the settlement from the other direction

but i think todd was implying in that interview that when you land, the game generates an infinite procedural landscape for you to wander around in, which would have to mean that every landing coordinate is its own isolated cell

basically every time you land somewhere not handcrafted the game just generates a new minecraft world for you to wander around in

that's my guess anyway, could absolutely be completely wrong here, but this feels like the easiest technical solution for what they're going for

I really don't follow how you got that interpretation. It sounded to me like he was just saying that once you're at a planetary scale, 1 world, 100 worlds or 1000 worlds are all effectively infinite.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

7c Nickel posted:

I really don't follow how you got that interpretation. It sounded to me like he was just saying that once you're at a planetary scale, 1 world, 100 worlds or 1000 worlds are all effectively infinite.

yeah i went back and listened to it and you might be right honestly

he also said they might do a deep dive into it to explain how it all works so hopefully we find out fairly soon

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

and elite and nms you absolutely can walk around an entire planet and return to the same point.

About how long does that take, do you know?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This thing looks pretty neat eh? Looks like fallout 4 in space, and I like fallout 4 so I'm sort of interested!

Hopefully todd doesn't todd it up to badly but we will see.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why should there be a space double barrelled breech loading shotgun in loving spacefaring future? :sigh:

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 18, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Because why not?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think by the time we have the technology to visit other star systems, we could also find a way to add a 3rd barrel to a shotgun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In the space future Gillette enters the arms business and produces a five barreled shotgun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I get what you're saying but there's no end to this kind of question; like, from another perspective, why does one person (the player) try to clear a building occupied by hostile forces, that's absolutely positively something you can't do.

Why is there a top break shotgun (or any shotgun in a world where the AR has existed for centuries)?

Honestly, the same reason there are any today irl: people like them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

IMO its stupid. We somehow managed to interstellar travel but loving energonium firing double barrel shotgun you have to bend open and breech load 2 tachyon shells at a time because we just can't figure out any other way.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

and what did they use chainsaws on mars for anyway?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Serious question how long till i can mod a moon to be a boob

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Why should there be a space double barrelled breech loading shotgun in loving spacefaring future? :sigh:

It worked for first contact, it can work here!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

let's see, i've got my handheld laser powerful enough to slice through rock to carve out chunks of iron ore. what else should i bring with me... hmm, guess i had better grab my breech loading shotgun in case i need to defend myself.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

About how long does that take, do you know?

ages. nms planets are small compared to real ones, but even a small moon would take many hours at walking or running speed. a quick search brought up this which seems accurate- https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/9lbcpx/the_size_of_planets_in_nms_more_details_in/

elite planets are realistic sizes so even longer

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sekenr posted:

IMO its stupid. We somehow managed to interstellar travel but loving energonium firing double barrel shotgun you have to bend open and breech load 2 tachyon shells at a time because we just can't figure out any other way.

It's a super reliable action. Also, as pointed out, they are in use today even after a hundred years of semiautomatic and pump-action shotguns.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sekenr posted:

That was the my favorite thing in the preview.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can even hand wave double barrel space guns being more powerful than automatics or some poo poo in your game balance by saying something like "by sacrificing the reloading system of more modern designs, Super Slayer Systems can pack more mass accelerators and recoil dampeners into the compact design, adding more punch without impacting shootability."

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

Serious question how long till i can mod a moon to be a boob

Day fuckin One

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I gotta get better at modding

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Sekenr posted:

Same reason you would still get pump actions and revolvers, it's for gameplay balance. You probably 3D print little iron sights for them as well, or slap a 20th century style optic on them, because gamers don't like new things.

NMS does a slightly more straightforward thing and puts the mining laser, environment scanner and weapon options into a single multitool (there are limited slots but you can carry multiple tools). It wouldn't really have strayed too far from the aesthetic seen in Starfield so far to have a Control-esque morphing box weapon fulfill multiple roles in a similar manner.

Or just have the mining laser kill everything because why not

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Or just have the mining laser kill everything because why not

You can briefly see one of the NPC's using a mining laser as a weapon in the trailer so it's definitely possible!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can briefly see one of the NPC's using a mining laser as a weapon in the trailer so it's definitely possible!

If this can't be use along side a cannibalism perk than I don't even know anymore.

You've already mined their drat meat, drat it!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

If this can't be use along side a cannibalism perk than I don't even know anymore.

You've already mined their drat meat, drat it!

I was just thinking that, if you used the mining laser on someone, instead of valuable minerals and gemstones it should place all their internal organs in your inventory :v:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was just thinking that, if you used the mining laser on someone, instead of valuable minerals and gemstones it should place all their internal organs in your inventory :v:

More and more I want to play as a Reaver from Firefly.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm the part of the presentation where he says "the most amazing skill system that is the BEST ELEMENTS of all our previous games" or whatever and right there on the screen you can see:

Ballistic Weapons + 10% dmg -----> Ballistic Weapons +20% dmg -----> Ballistic Weapons +30% dmg ----> Ballistic Weapons moar range

That's...literally exactly the same as Deus Ex's skill system. Seriously. Except you don't get a level up to range till the last rank.

It's okay for Ion Storm to have an not-so-deep skill system but not Bethesda, I guess.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's elements of Oblivion's old passive system too, I think the description for one weapon skill was shown as "Reload a magazine X times".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I tend to prefer less granular systems with more significance to level ups in action oriented RPGs so the skill system seems fine

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

ErrEff posted:

There's elements of Oblivion's old passive system too, I think the description for one weapon skill was shown as "Reload a magazine X times".

IIRC that was an achievement sorta thingy where you have to reload an magazine enough times to get an perk.

Reload an Magazine while it's out of Ammo. That is gonna be hard to get used to.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
IIRC Starfield will have both "things you buy into when you level" and "improvement through use", so don't panic if some of the buffs look very generic, that's probably the "boy you sure do like pistols" benefits

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

IIRC Starfield will have both "things you buy into when you level" and "improvement through use", so don't panic if some of the buffs look very generic, that's probably the "boy you sure do like pistols" benefits

It's not a Bethesda game if you don't spend 3 in-game months shooting fireballs/bullets at your inn/hotel room's wall while jumping up and down.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

TheNamedSavior posted:

It's okay for Ion Storm to have an not-so-deep skill system but not Bethesda, I guess.

skill/experience points are more limited in Deus Ex than they will be in Starfield

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

That's...literally exactly the same as Deus Ex's skill system. Seriously. Except you don't get a level up to range till the last rank.

I feel like people have improved the concept of leveling up some time in the past 22 years yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

I think it's a fine, basic, functional system. But I also got a laugh out of it being on screen at the same time as Todd Howard saying, "the best of our previous games."

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TheNamedSavior posted:

Deus Ex isn't a perfect games by any means, but if you going to pull it in defense Bethesda I'm going to have to strongly disagree with ya'. Deus Ex skill system is pretty similar at the surface level, but their is a major big difference, Deus Ex skills are extremely limited resource, the devs designed the game with that in mind so that players couldn't be a jack of all trades; they wanted players to create archetypes and roles. A player that went all in with the pistols, probably did so at cost of stealth or being able to hack terminals etc. etc., where as I don't think I've ever played a Bethesda game where my character didn't feel or play exactly the same, across sequels in the series or different ones entirely. Also, with that in mind Deus Ex augmented their pretty bog standard skill with...well, augmentations which tend to flip the whole dynamic of the game on it's head.

Also also, Deus Ex's RPG elements weren't focused entirely around what now cookie-cutter game mechanics, it was focused on the whole Role of Playing Games, with how the player interacts with the characters and world around them in interesting way. Something, Bethesda has shown they're severely lacking in ability to do, especially this last decade or so.

E: gently caress, beaten by a mile
E2: Here! Have a 3 hour video on the subject (eventually) by SA own hbomberguy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also in deus ex, you are spectacularly incompetent with weapons until you put points in them. And once you do you transform into a god of death who can blow people away from across the map.

So each point does feel quite significant in that it impacts your accuracy and greatly reduces your time before you can land a hit.

+10% damage is quite... dull by comparison. Especially when you have the option of adding more actual capabilities with skill unlocks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the skill system in dx sucks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In isolation yeah it's not very good, it only works as a component of the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The problem I think is that I hate systems where guns don't go where you aim them until you level them up

I've joked before that the difference between an FPS and a FPSRPG is that an FPSRPG is an FPS with lovely guns