Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Hey Mazda thread, I was referred here from the Stupid Questions thread.

I'm looking at a 2015 Mazda3, but the 130k miles on it scares me a little. The carfax shows mostly regular maintenance with a couple of ~15k mile gaps between services.

It otherwise meets my requirements and with how awful availability is right now its very tempting. Is there anything I should be worried about on it?

I have a 2018 and the only issue I've had is the backup camera connector in the hatch can get loose and make the camera randomly cut in and out. It's a 10 min diy job to pop the trim off and tape the connector cable down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The car is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, its the mileage that scares me.

I can't find anything through a search that's a red flag for that model or engine, but figured y'all would know better than the internet at large.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I had a 2010 model that I got up to 231K kms without any issues engine wise. I know it’s the pre skyactiv engine but the engine seems to be robust

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I drive a 2014 3 hatch with 138k and I have no desire to trade it.

but I know the entire service history and mostly make long highway drives.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My 2009 MS3 was pretty darn reliable up until it hit about 12 years and plastic things started to fail-- which is fairly predictable and expected. I don't think I had more than 105k miles by the time I sold it.

The gas tank lock ring was very annoying. I don't know if the non speed 3s have the same problem, but the passenger motor mount seemed like a common failure. I think mine went out at ~65k miles, but as far as maintenance goes it was extremely easy to swap.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Was the 2007-2013 Mazda2 ever badged as a Toyota Yaris? Saw a hatch the other day. Didn't know if the owner did it or maybe it was a Canadian import or something. I thought only the following generation was shared with Toyota.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Followup to a previous post -

I ended up getting a Mazda3 after all, just not the one I was asking about. I got a 2017 grand touring hatchback and its been super fun so far. I wish I knew how underpowered my old '98 CRV was years ago. Being able to actually accelerate on the freeway is amazing.

The one feature its missing right now is a roof rack. There appear to be mounting bolts on the roof hidden under some trim but I haven't dug into it in depth yet. Has anyone installed a rack like that and have recommendations?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I did that with my 2006. At least at the time, Mazda USA did not equip roof rails with the little hidden hole. I used roof rails from Canada. Only mistake I made was over tightening the mounting pads and bent the metal thing. I used a system from Yakima but Thule is good too.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
I did a bunch of research on this a ways back. I ended up going with the OEM Mazda rack via my local dealer. I’m pretty sure it’s just Thule cross bars. It’s a clean install. Would do again.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
We used the Mazda rails on our 18 CX9 and they worked fine, but were an immense pain to install. I would gladly have traded visible bolt heads for reasonable installation and removal.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mexecan posted:

I did a bunch of research on this a ways back. I ended up going with the OEM Mazda rack via my local dealer. I’m pretty sure it’s just Thule cross bars. It’s a clean install. Would do again.

Looking around last night the oem set seems like a good choice.

I'll have to check a dealer or two locally, all the vendors I found online look a little sketchy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

OEM set is fine unless you have broad cargo to put on top. I was at the very edge of the OEM rails with a 17' canoe.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

OEM set is fine unless you have broad cargo to put on top. I was at the very edge of the OEM rails with a 17' canoe.

That's what 2x4s are for!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

loving excuse me I cannot fit the Thule portage/Yakima Keelover pads into a pair of 2x4s!

(Lol paying 250 bucks for something a pool noodle does perfectly)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone gone to a dealer with a 2021 model 2.5T that's burning oil? Apparently its a known issue but the recommendation is just to top it off? I had a low oil light yesterday. I let it sit overnight and while 100% cold the level was perfectly in the middle of the two dots. When warmed up and then let sit for 5 minutes the level is right on the low dot. I added a half quart but thats a lot of oil to go through in 3500 miles.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10203724-0001.pdf

Looks like I'm eligible for $3 reimbursement if I take it to the dealer... (lol)

edit: related and also lol: https://www.classaction.org/media/guthrie-v-mazda-motor-of-america-inc.pdf

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 15, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'll have to check mine, I'm up to like 11k and haven't noticed anything on my 2021 cx-30
I'm due for my 2nd oil change since I bought it any day now.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 15, 2022

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Oil burning is a known issue on 2021s due to a run of engines that had improper valve seals or something to that effect. Until Mazda puts out an official solution, all they’re doing for people is topping up oil at the dealership.

They’re trying not to replace the faulty engines outright but I don’t see how you can fix this problem without a top end fix, which will cost a lot of shop time and money. The TSB lists a specific VIN range, I assume yours falls in it?

My 2022 2.5T has not observed any burning yet in 3500-ish miles, but I’m still checking the dipstick once a month to be safe.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oil burning was a problem on the original MZR motors, too. On my 100k mile MS6 I'm pretty sure it's turbo seals, but I'm doing the PCV and timing set pretty soon here, so...we'll see?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Anyone gone to a dealer with a 2021 model 2.5T that's burning oil? Apparently its a known issue but the recommendation is just to top it off? I had a low oil light yesterday. I let it sit overnight and while 100% cold the level was perfectly in the middle of the two dots. When warmed up and then let sit for 5 minutes the level is right on the low dot. I added a half quart but thats a lot of oil to go through in 3500 miles.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10203724-0001.pdf

Looks like I'm eligible for $3 reimbursement if I take it to the dealer... (lol)

edit: related and also lol: https://www.classaction.org/media/guthrie-v-mazda-motor-of-america-inc.pdf

That's about the mileage I had the low oil light go off 9 months ago on my 2021 turbo 3. I haven't seen anything since then, and I'm currently just above 8K miles.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My 2021 non turbo model has been fine but then again they don't sell the turbo here for whatever reason

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

You see Mazda's end game here is to get everyone used to burning oil and then once it becomes casual they can reintroduce the RX8 without any oil seals and just straight up burn the oil and then who'll have the eggs on their faces cooking because the ambient air temp will be high enough to cook eggs huh hahahahahahahaha

Anyways a minor Mazda 3 update: 2.0L gets dropped, 2.5L becomes base and gets a minor HP boost to 195.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/2023-mazda-3-drops-engine-154800215.html

The current gen 3 sedan looks huge. It can't be much smaller than the last 6 model? Also I didn't know Yahoo was still around.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Gen4 sedan is 183.5 inches long. The Gen3 was 180.3.

The Mazda6 is 192.7.

In comparison, the gen4 hatch is 175.6 (and the CX-30 is 173).

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It really does look about the size and shape of a first generation 6. Nice that they have a Turbo AWD version. I see it doesn't come with a stick, but I also don't expect them to try the Haldex PTO again with a stick after what they undoubtedly consider to be the Speed6 debacle.

e: And I can't get the low profile ducktail spoiler with the turbo model? They must have some serious heartache.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 21, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw a black Speed6 today and I couldnt turn around in time to catch up with them but I really wonder if it was mine and also I'm dumb enough to try and buy it back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I saw a black Speed6 today and I couldnt turn around in time to catch up with them but I really wonder if it was mine and also I'm dumb enough to try and buy it back.

If I saw my MS3 I would 100% try to also. According to Carfax it’s still local-ish with 180k+

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Do I keep the Speed6 because it's a much more comfortable lancer evolution, or do I sell it because I'm bored of fixing turbocharged sports cars and grew up to love my civic now

:thunk:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

You see Mazda's end game here is to get everyone used to burning oil and then once it becomes casual they can reintroduce the RX8 without any oil seals and just straight up burn the oil and then who'll have the eggs on their faces cooking because the ambient air temp will be high enough to cook eggs huh hahahahahahahaha

So they want to be BMW. Got it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I helped a friend install the CarPlay retrofit kit into his 2019 CX-3 today. It was pretty straightfoward except for popping the panel behind the screen so I could pull out the central entertainment unit. If there’s an easier way of doing it, I wish I knew, but all the guides said to reach into the glovebox and pop the clips to get started. My hands barely fit in there because a metal crossmember’s in the way. After an hour of cursing and cutting myself I wound up using a long screwdriver to pop the clip open. The rest of the job (opening up the console, routing the wries, prying out the old USB hub) was done in 45 mintues. It was about the same as any other car stereo work I’ve done. I hope the other cars with this system have an easier way to remove the central screen unit.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

When I helped my buddy with his CX5 I remember having to reach behind the USB hub with a long flathead and twist to snap the clips off, was the fastest way and didn't matter if you break it since it's getting replaced anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

opengl128 posted:

When I helped my buddy with his CX5 I remember having to reach behind the USB hub with a long flathead and twist to snap the clips off, was the fastest way and didn't matter if you break it since it's getting replaced anyway.

That was the easiest part, the bezel holding the hub came right out from the lower center stack and I did the same thing with snapping the tabs off to remvoe it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Is anybody interested in some Enkei RPF-1 wheels in Seattle? They're pretty curbed.
17x8, 5x114.3 (5x4.5"), 45mm offset, centering ring is for the hub size of a Mazda 3, no center caps.

Full album
https://imgur.com/a/VU1Kw6Y

Thought I might cross-post this in case anyone is interested. Just don't wanna deal with the hell that is FB Marketplace / Craigslist etc

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Thought I might cross-post this in case anyone is interested. Just don't wanna deal with the hell that is FB Marketplace / Craigslist etc

Speaking of wheels: I still have my 1st gen MS3 wheels in my shed. Do these things have any resale value? What sort of price would they go for in near perfect condition?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Speaking of wheels: I still have my 1st gen MS3 wheels in my shed. Do these things have any resale value? What sort of price would they go for in near perfect condition?

I bet at this point they are rare enough you could do pretty well selling them to somebody looking to un-Monster their MS3.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Before I start randomly making GBS threads up threads, is this the general non-Miata/non-rotary Mazda thread, or is this for MZRs only?

I just got a CX-50 a couple weeks ago and didn’t see another thread that might fit.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Do I keep the Speed6 because it's a much more comfortable lancer evolution, or do I sell it because I'm bored of fixing turbocharged sports cars and grew up to love my civic now

:thunk:

Sell it to me.
But seriously, I'd hold on to it, they are only getting rarer. I don't think I'll ever not regret selling my 95 M3.

Cat Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 5, 2022

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

smax posted:

Before I start randomly making GBS threads up threads, is this the general non-Miata/non-rotary Mazda thread, or is this for MZRs only?

I just got a CX-50 a couple weeks ago and didn’t see another thread that might fit.

Anything Mazda goes as far as I can tell. And nice ride. 👏👏

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Question: How much do replacement infotainment screens go for in the US? Because I just got quoted $6000aud to replace mine in a 2015 Mazda6. That's nearly a third of what I paid for the whole car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

smax posted:

Congrats on the cx-50. If my girl had wanted something that size I would have grabbed her one instead of the cx-30 carbon I ended up going with. It’s probably the best looking suv out there right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GlenMR posted:

Question: How much do replacement infotainment screens go for in the US? Because I just got quoted $6000aud to replace mine in a 2015 Mazda6. That's nearly a third of what I paid for the whole car.

Do you have the ghost touch issue or the delimitation issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

dissss posted:

Do you have the ghost touch issue or the delimitation issue?

I have, uhh, whatever this is. It's not work fixing - certainly not at that price - but it does interfere with the readability of the screen a little. There's also a couple of cracks,but they're less of an issue than the weird patterning.