Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CelticPredator posted:

They’re not doing the day one thing any more

Yeah, it's Day 45 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Just a little bit in to The Old Man on Hulu, and I kind of want Jeff Bridges to get caught

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, it's Day 45 now.

Yeah but also seems like theaters had a dry run for them to use this

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Is hbo outta new movies this year?

They still have Batman promoed as a new movie in June and it was added in April so that seems like a bit of a drought.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

holy poo poo, i've actually somehow never seen this before

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

holy poo poo, i've actually somehow never seen this before

The show or that episode? That specific episode is one I show my friends who have never seen it to hook them. It's especially relevant with gas prices being what they are today!

Rebate - $12.72

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Watched The Northman.

Pretty Good! Not as deep as Eggers earlier films but it wasn't trying to be. Just a solid brutal period piece revenge story with a dash of mysticism thrown in. Very nice.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Old was hilariously bad. The script was full of terrible exposition and the ending was a joke, but also just the way the lines were delivered was very reminiscent of prequel star wars. Idk if it's the director's fault or what because it actually has a really good cast.

Spiderhead wasn't nearly as bad as Old. Not really "good" but it was entertaining at least. It kinda falls apart at the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i was not paying attention at all when i put Spiderhead on, i was playing a game, and about 30 minutes in i was like "wait hold on, what the hell is this about?"

it's a fine hangover movie though

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

i was not paying attention at all when i put Spiderhead on, i was playing a game, and about 30 minutes in i was like "wait hold on, what the hell is this about?"

more mids imo

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does anyone here Sub to The Criterion Collection? I'd personally recommend it highly as it seems to have every movie other streaming services don't have.
Are there any other more low-key services that would have a more underground collection? I'm seriously getting SICK of the HULU/NETFLIX drip feed.
I might go back to physical media at this point

precision posted:

The Lighthouse and Ghosts From Mars go great with the heebie jeebies.
That really is deserving of a list. Good "OH GOD IM COMING DOWN" movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone here Sub to The Criterion Collection? I'd personally recommend it highly as it seems to have every movie other streaming services don't have.
Are there any other more low-key services that would have a more underground collection? I'm seriously getting SICK of the HULU/NETFLIX drip feed.

Mubi might have what you're looking for.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

NeoSeeker posted:

I learned after day 1 of subscribing that Criterion also rotates movies in and out. My buddy really wanted me to watch Mulholland Drive, and I subbed on the same day that they removed it from the service.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

The Lighthouse and Ghosts From Mars go great with the heebie jeebies.
That really is deserving of a list. Good "OH GOD IM COMING DOWN" movies.

I recommend physical media if you have the cash, there's a lot of great boutique labels these days and there's been a Lot of sales between last month and now, and next month is going to add more (Barnes and Nobles having sales on Criterion and Arrow Video releases)

In terms of streaming services, ones I recommend at least browsing before going further (bold are my favs):

Tubi - free with ads, Insanely large archive of content
PlutoTV, PopcornFlix, Crackle, Amazon freevee (formerly known as IMDBTV) and the Roku Channel - all also free with ads, less-impressive but each still has some gems within. Roku Channel for a time had the complete series of both the original and new Outer Limits, inspiring me to buy the boxsets before they left so I could still do a rewatch because those shows ruled :hellyeah:
ShoutFactoryTV - same as those, only reason I list it separately is because it also has original Mystery Science Theater 3000 which is its own selling point
HBO Max - has a pretty archive (including a decent amount, definitely not all though, of Criterion) and a fair amount of new stuff I loved. My favorite of the big new-content services for what it provides
Shudder - a must for horror fans
AcornTV and BritBox - musts for fans of British shows
Mubi - indie cinema

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm looking for OG Outer Limits myself. In addition to Alfred Hitchcock presents.
Also was looking for Brit stuff. I'll be sure to check all these out. Many thanks.

I'm probably getting back into physical media when It's decided what format everyone is going to put the best edition on. Wouldn't want to start getting 8k when something else pops up with more features and investment by the studios.

BisterdDave posted:

I learned after day 1 of subscribing that Criterion also rotates movies in and out. My buddy really wanted me to watch Mulholland Drive, and I subbed on the same day that they removed it from the service.

I too learned this quickly. It's the one thing I can say I don't like.

It's better than buying the box set and realizing they rotate that one as well.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 19, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm probably getting back into physical media when It's decided what format everyone is going to put the best edition on. Wouldn't want to start getting 8k when something else pops up with more features and investment by the studios.

I think it’s pretty much UHD. I don’t know how some of the movies released on the format could look any better. Extra resolution wouldn’t be noticeable unless you paused on a gigantic screen, and although I don’t know a lot about the different HDR standards I doubt there’s going to be some future incompatible version that will be dramatically better.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

There's a Middle ground between what everyone releases on and the format with the most features. Like how DVDs had tons of special features and bonus scenes, whereas blurays just had the movie and a basic start screen maybe subtitles.

EDIT: It's a moot point when I think about it. If one gets into physical media they're probably going to have multiple video players and the same movie on two or three different formats.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 19, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I watch most things with subtitles. I'm watching the latest remake of Father of the Bride, this one starring Andy Garcia and Gloria Estefan on HBO. For some reason whenever the characters speak Spanish, the subtitles simply say, "Speaking in foreign language." I don't really know Spanish, but I'd be fine with them just putting Spanish subtitles. An English translation would be fine too. Or even, "Speaking Spanish." But it's funny how they make it seem like it's some unknown completely incomprehensible language, especially for American audiences.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It makes it feel like a special bonus when I'm watching something on a basic streaming service and discover the subs actually translate the language.

Although incomprehensible dialog just works sometimes. It's why the band Sigur Ros was popular..

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

NeoSeeker posted:

It's why the band Sigur Ros was popular..

I still love Sigur Ros

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just watched Ordinary People on Prime Video and, goddamn, that's a good movie.

I know it gets a lot of poo poo for winning Best Picture over Raging Bull, but to be honest, I liked it a helluva lot more than when I saw Raging Bull years ago. I had a great time at Top Gun Maverick and I enjoy the Marvel movies and all of that, but sometimes, I don't want all the franchise and superhero blockbuster stuff; I want a realistic family drama with loving incredible performances. Marriage Story did that for me a few years ago, and this did it for me just now. It strikes so much closer to home.

Goddamn, Donald Sutherland was great in it. I don't think I've ever seen a father quite like that on-screen. I don't know how he didn't get nominated or why Timothy Hutton got nominated as a supporting actor. Weirdly enough, this is the first thing I've ever seen Mary Tyler Moore in.

Also, Hutton's face was reminding me of someone the whole time, and I think I got it: Brendan Dassey from one of those Netflix true crime documentaries. Maybe it's actually reminding me of someone else, but I think that's it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching God's Favorite Idiot and it's okay background noise. I like Melissa McCarthy more than I think most people, but it gets tiresome when everyone's trying to do her ad-lib schtick. Definitely pass on it unless you're as starved for content as I am.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tubi has a whole lot of movies from the 40s and 50s, much of it weird genre stuff. you can lose a whole night in there

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I miss director commentaries on dvd.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

toggle posted:

I miss director commentaries on dvd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFgcH47Zl4U

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

surf rock posted:

I just watched Ordinary People on Prime Video and, goddamn, that's a good movie.

I know it gets a lot of poo poo for winning Best Picture over Raging Bull, but to be honest, I liked it a helluva lot more than when I saw Raging Bull years ago. I had a great time at Top Gun Maverick and I enjoy the Marvel movies and all of that, but sometimes, I don't want all the franchise and superhero blockbuster stuff; I want a realistic family drama with loving incredible performances. Marriage Story did that for me a few years ago, and this did it for me just now. It strikes so much closer to home.

Goddamn, Donald Sutherland was great in it. I don't think I've ever seen a father quite like that on-screen. I don't know how he didn't get nominated or why Timothy Hutton got nominated as a supporting actor. Weirdly enough, this is the first thing I've ever seen Mary Tyler Moore in.

Also, Hutton's face was reminding me of someone the whole time, and I think I got it: Brendan Dassey from one of those Netflix true crime documentaries. Maybe it's actually reminding me of someone else, but I think that's it.

Thanks. I'm gonna watch it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

As I said, I miss directors commentaries.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

I've been watching God's Favorite Idiot and it's okay background noise. I like Melissa McCarthy more than I think most people, but it gets tiresome when everyone's trying to do her ad-lib schtick. Definitely pass on it unless you're as starved for content as I am.
I watched the whole season and I ended up loving it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

toggle posted:

As I said, I miss directors commentaries.

The best was for Rules of Attraction had Carrot Top do a commentary, when he had absolutely no association with the movie otherwise. I haven't listened to the commentary in 20 years, but I remember we all found it hysterical.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yo, Magic Trip is free on youtube. it's super good if you didn't catch it when it came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_l1aqwX3KQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

The best was for Rules of Attraction had Carrot Top do a commentary, when he had absolutely no association with the movie otherwise. I haven't listened to the commentary in 20 years, but I remember we all found it hysterical.

I liked Roadhouse, it had Kevin Smith do commentary. It was before be got full of himself, was still funny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chris James 2 posted:

I recommend physical media if you have the cash, there's a lot of great boutique labels these days and there's been a Lot of sales between last month and now, and next month is going to add more (Barnes and Nobles having sales on Criterion and Arrow Video releases)

In terms of streaming services, ones I recommend at least browsing before going further (bold are my favs):

Tubi - free with ads, Insanely large archive of content
PlutoTV, PopcornFlix, Crackle, Amazon freevee (formerly known as IMDBTV) and the Roku Channel - all also free with ads, less-impressive but each still has some gems within. Roku Channel for a time had the complete series of both the original and new Outer Limits, inspiring me to buy the boxsets before they left so I could still do a rewatch because those shows ruled :hellyeah:
ShoutFactoryTV - same as those, only reason I list it separately is because it also has original Mystery Science Theater 3000 which is its own selling point
HBO Max - has a pretty archive (including a decent amount, definitely not all though, of Criterion) and a fair amount of new stuff I loved. My favorite of the big new-content services for what it provides
Shudder - a must for horror fans
AcornTV and BritBox - musts for fans of British shows
Mubi - indie cinema

Agreed about hbo max. Of the paid services it's got a tremendous amount of content for a broad audience. It's got the standard hbo movies; a first run or two that probably sucks and some older stuff that may or may bout be good, but then it has a ton of other libraries attached as well. TCM has a ton of criterion stuff, it's the only avenue to watch studio ghibli online, and if you have kids they have a shockingly comprehensive sesame street library and cartoon network.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I enjoyed the second season of Rutherford Falls, and was happy to see Dallas Goldtooth from Reservation Dogs show up as a new recurring character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
note that the Roku Channel has a whole lot of TV that isn't streaming anywhere else, especially reality stuff, if you're into that. they have all of 60 Days In for example, which is a super fascinating series for a whole mess of reasons

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Criterion is top for me, but I'll also recommend Arrow Player, prolly over Shudder. Not quite over Mubi but Mubi has a different sort of catalog and can also be kinda boring sometimes. Arrow's got the same vein of Shudder's like, random horror and slasher movies but since it's supposed to be a "cult movie" service it also has just random dope poo poo like Legend of the Stardust Brothers, buncha spaghetti westerns and giallo, yakuza films, classic French cinema, nearly Shinya Tsukamoto's entire filmography, films RLM or MST3K might have mocked, just scattered poo poo like Tideland or Robert Altman's Images, etc.

Also just heard The Worst Person in the World is on Hulu now. Run don't walk. I have enjoyed the Joachim Trier i've watched, Thelma was almost weirdly like, a good X-Men movie? 😅

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh yeah poo poo I also forgot about Arrow Player, they're good too

If you like trash horror, Troma has their own service too

edit: Worst Person in the World on Hulu, Cha Cha Real Smooth on Apple TV+. Great weekend for festival releases tbh, definitely recommend both

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate hate hate "free with ads". That's not a streaming service, that's just TV. I don't want any ads, ever

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Netflix and HBO Max are adding ad-tiers. It’s not something the streaming service era is entirely escaping (as much as their fans may have tried/wanted to)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm fine with ad-supported tiers that are added to have a cheaper option for a streaming service, but the higher tiers should never have them.

Unfortunately it's just a sad fact of life that ads are worming their way back to our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Piracy is back on the menu boys