Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The rokket deck is fun but im really bad at playing it

Very lucky the boss monsters are dumb and pretty idiotproof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I made a masked heroes deck and I just end up finishing on DPE or Sunrise anyways because they're better. Then I pivoted to some Frankenstein Invoked Magistsus Witchcrafter Exosisters thing which is fun and bad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I smashed my IDS deck and my Kaiju Scrap Dinos deck into one ridiculous pile, and it's more fun than it has any right to be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zodack posted:

I made a masked heroes deck and I just end up finishing on DPE or Sunrise anyways because they're better. Then I pivoted to some Frankenstein Invoked Magistsus Witchcrafter Exosisters thing which is fun and bad
Don't know about the others but Darklaw is legit really good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm the villain, I've been playing Swordsoul Tenyi for the event. :twisted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The others seem really hyper-focused on battle. Acid could be good as an on-demand Feather Duster.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I'm using a tri-brigate/ ancient warrior / zoodiac deck and it works for the most part

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dabir posted:

The others seem really hyper-focused on battle. Acid could be good as an on-demand Feather Duster.

If you go into Acid from Absolute Zero, you get a full board wipe too!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. They're a mainstay in my regular heroes deck. It's just every other masked hero is pretty bad haha, except acid for the aforementioned blowout combo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I swear this event's designed to be impossible unless you're running something that's already three decks jammed together.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Justin_Brett posted:

I swear this event's designed to be impossible unless you're running something that's already three decks jammed together.

A deck that can reliably get Link or Xyz power players out feels like the right move to me. It's why the Rokket deck generally works; you probably can't swing a specific fusion or synchro strategy reliably, but given enough turns you should be able to get four Rokkets or a pile of level 4s on the board reliably.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

That's kind of the whole point of the event though, you can't just run a single archetype and expect it to work consistently so you gotta figure out the right mix of archetypes and generics that work well with each other

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

When you can only run 1 each of the best cards in your archetype, there are two solutions: Run worse cards, or run more archetypes. Most people understandably choose the second option.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Kragen is the same just with more water monsters that usually dont make the cut. I won 22 duels in a row because its hard to brick and can reliably get out Toadally Awesome along with other water XYZs. Granted most people will not of made this deck.

I think TriZoo+ or Swordsoul+ is better (I think I only encounters either of these two times each), but if you arent a new account and have tried to vary your deck types you can make something that works, especially with XYZs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the best decks are the ones where you have a lot of ways to get to your combo starter (eg Cherubini in Phantom Knight/BA/level 3 extenders deck, Harp Horror in Orcust builds).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh it seems like swordsoul/tenyi would be really oppressive but i havent faced it so i guess im wrong

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh it seems like swordsoul/tenyi would be really oppressive but i havent faced it so i guess im wrong

I think synchros are broadly really hard to get on the field in a format like this, because it's hard to play that addition game when you only have one each of both the components and searchers. The only synchro monster I've seen more than once is Baronne de Fleur (who I really wish I wasn't seeing at all, honestly), and the only person I've seen try to field an actual synchro strategy was a Mayakashi player.

I applaud that second guy for trying, but god drat the Mayakashi main deck synchro engine is like four cards, I have no idea what else you do with the rest of your deck if you're going for those.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Swordsoul is okay in this event, but you're stuck with some of the mediocre Tenyi, probably some of the Yang Zing who aren't that great, and having only one Monk can be inconvenient too. I'm still playing it because I didn't want to craft any cards for the event, but I've had plenty of bricks and virtual bricks. Though since there's no downside in surrendering unplayable hands, it's not so bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I applaud that second guy for trying, but god drat the Mayakashi main deck synchro engine is like four cards, I have no idea what else you do with the rest of your deck if you're going for those.

Generic zombie support, most likely.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah I'm also in the same boat playing SS/Tenyi for the event since that's what I have the cards for, when it pops off it pops off hard but it's definitely not the top deck anymore due to how prone it is to bricking. Yazi existing honestly helped a lot cos I can go into it with the ghost girls + level 4 Tenyis or Armageddon Knight + Destrudo to then go into the SS starters, on turn 2 onwards anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just play an archetype that has 40 cards and use only those like a real anime character

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just play an archetype that has 40 cards and use only those like a real anime character

its ok you can say elemental hero

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Play every signer dragon deck at once

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mix. posted:

its ok you can say elemental hero

D/D baby GILGAMESH BEST CARD BABY LETS GO

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Finally, a reason to play B.L.A.C.K. Magician Girls and actual Dark Magician/Girl in the same deck.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

B.L.A.C.K. Magician Girls

oh my god how did I never notice that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've mostly used this as an excuse to use the base Charmers and the 5* familiars

.. Yeah there's a reason nobody does

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I basically took my existing earth machines deck and threw in all the infinitrack/machina/train cards I had to cut for space concerns :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mix. posted:

I basically took my existing earth machines deck and threw in all the infinitrack/machina/train cards I had to cut for space concerns :v:

Yeah, this is one I've noticed is a bit of a hit. Earth Machines is apparently one of the few decks that has too many combo pieces to fit into a normal deck, so a highlander format treats them well. They don't always combo like mad, but they're always comboing into something.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I can play trains on duel links and master duel at the same time!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

girl dick energy posted:

B.L.A.C.K. Magician Girls

... son of a bitch.

In any case, I'm sitting this event out. Would've been the perfect reason to use all of the bullshit offbeat Noble Knights, but they went and banned Isolde, which makes the deck practically unplayable (not to say it was a meta destroyer before, but at least it could make some plays).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Aniodia posted:

... son of a bitch.

In any case, I'm sitting this event out. Would've been the perfect reason to use all of the bullshit offbeat Noble Knights, but they went and banned Isolde, which makes the deck practically unplayable (not to say it was a meta destroyer before, but at least it could make some plays).

There are a lot of cards that I feel should be errata'd to only work within their archtype.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I was playing my Sword Soul Tenyi Punk deck on my alt account for the Limit 1 fest, and I was all smug because I had Baronne, Chixiao, SS Blackout (with a spare wyrm on the field) and PUNK Gabu, which is like 4 negates and some destruction... I still lost to Heroes because I was cocky and they literally pulled a god hand including both Raigeki and Lightning Storm.

So yeah its possible to pop off, but its also possible you are facing Yugi Moto himself.

I literally couldnt recover and he got out his 4.5k beatstick.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
When you make the standard dragon link opening despite highlander, feeling pretty confident and they open kaiju raigeki Allister ash x. Well what do you want me to do game?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Finally managed to put together an Unchained deck, and god damnit this thing's hilarious. I really wish it didn't have to target the opponent's monsters before tributing them and instead worked like kaijus or Goddess of the Closed World, but that might be a little too strong a mechanic to give to their core playmakers.

My favorite part is 'pretending to brick' is a legitimate opening strategy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I need to burn like 2k gems to make room for event gems. Its not that bad since I still need mats for staples, but are there any secret packs that contain perennially useful cards what its worth crafting a SR from?

My only deck is SS Tenyi, which could use Chenying/Beserker/Yazi, but doesn't really need them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I need to burn like 2k gems to make room for event gems. Its not that bad since I still need mats for staples, but are there any secret packs that contain perennially useful cards what its worth crafting a SR from?

My only deck is SS Tenyi, which could use Chenying/Beserker/Yazi, but doesn't really need them.

I'd say that it depends on what other decks you might want to build outside of your one current deck. Most of the super general staples like Ash Blossom, the various Pots, Called by the Grave and the like are all general inclusions outside of any secret packs.

There's definitely a second tier of cards that are always welcome in decks that can use them. Any link deck would probably appreciate an Accesscode Talker or IP Masquerena, any fusion deck wants Verte Anaconda, Eldlich is a welcome spice in any zombie deck.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Definitely go for the Tenyi pack if you're still missing Berserker and Yazi. They come up way too often and you have a chance of pulling Draco Masters which is an excellent flex spot in the extra deck until Qixing Longyuan is out.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah if you're still missing Berserker you might as well open the Tenyi pack. Barring that the Knightmares or Solemns are pretty good investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are you not on Auroradon? I'd regard Yazi as a critical engine piece if you are.