Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Miss_Jess03/status/1538270350244556800?t=Z4y0rUM3tTi_0baqTDlSdQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Oh see now I wanna know everything about their dumb setting

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This sounds so terrible I can't decide if this makes me more or less excited to finally get the loving book from the kickstarter.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Neoliberal... Anarchists???

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the same political four-point graph as Commie Nazis.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
No Gods No Masters Some Means Testing

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"The perfidious neoliberal anarchist PMCs (professional mutual-aid class) seeks to grow more of its lumpen kind, by using gifts of credentials and lanyards."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ettin posted:

No Gods No Masters Some Means Testing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Qoey posted:

So, anarchists?

(I kid, I kid)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Qoey posted:

I mean we have Ancaps sooooooo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So... slave owners? A political faction of slave owners?

I mean, historically speaking, there's precedent, but I do not think that is what he was thinking of.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Darwinism posted:

I mean we have Ancaps sooooooo

Yeah, I read that as he's just applying words to describe himself as "a punk rock libertarian" and just jumbling words with similar meanings to get there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

So... slave owners? A political faction of slave owners?

I mean, historically speaking, there's precedent, but I do not think that is what he was thinking of.

Jefferson makes sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, anarchists?

(I kid, I kid)

I don't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that stands out about this whole thing -- being Jamison Stone or Satine Phoenix seems exhausting. Like oh, someone asked me to clarify a payment date, better write ten thousand unhinged words about it.

You'd think so but I'm pretty sure this kind of insane bullshit is the only reason they get out of bed.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that stands out about this whole thing -- being Jamison Stone or Satine Phoenix seems exhausting. Like oh, someone asked me to clarify a payment date, better write ten thousand unhinged words about it.

To a real dyed-in-the-wool narcissist, it's the other way around. Having to pay money to such filthy lessers is the painful and exhausting bit. These scum think they're people and can actually talk to you like you were just another human being! THE ARROGANCE!

Someone that far gone will find the big ragesplosion and loving with "the servants" to be their natural and relaxed state. It's them "asserting their truth", i.e. treating everyone like poo poo because they constantly see everyone around them as poo poo. They won't treat people as human unless compelled to do otherwise, and that compulsion is painful to them.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Games Workshop's latest Warhammer spin-off game:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's literally no bigotry in this hobby I care less about than not letting girls be Catholic Space Nazis

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I read that as he's just applying words to describe himself as "a punk rock libertarian" and just jumbling words with similar meanings to get there.
The Venger Satanification process stalls at 90%

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I mean, there's the :biotruths: too.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I was working in a game store in the late 90s and some kid, who had to be under 10, sat there ranting at me about how the process of becoming a space marine was impossible because... a bunch of lore poo poo that didn't matter to pushing little figures around the table. So pour one out for your LGS homies who have to listen to this dumb poo poo when they just want to barely make minimum wage and a discount so they can have more stuff to paint.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Leraika posted:

I mean, there's the :biotruths: too.

yeah, that's gross but in a disappointing way

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Halloween Jack posted:

There's literally no bigotry in this hobby I care less about than not letting girls be Catholic Space Nazis

Oh don't worry, there's an entire faction devoted to letting girls be even more hardcore Catholic Space Nazis than the boys.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Sounds like they're pulling that straight from the late 80s Rick Priestly article about how Space Marines are made. That bit of Warhammer 40,000's setting hasn't really changed since 1988.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd just say it was decreed by the emperor and no one has thought to do otherwise

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I was working in a game store in the late 90s and some kid, who had to be under 10, sat there ranting at me about how the process of becoming a space marine was impossible because... a bunch of lore poo poo that didn't matter to pushing little figures around the table. So pour one out for your LGS homies who have to listen to this dumb poo poo when they just want to barely make minimum wage and a discount so they can have more stuff to paint.

Years ago I ran into a guy who used to work at my local gaming store. I waved him down, shook his hand and this motherfucker hugged me! I knew him a little, we always chatted a bit at the register, and he seemed pretty cool. Apparently I was the only person to visit that store and talk to the employees like real people, and not just ramble on about this seventeenth level blood paladin I played once, or the intricacies of a Magic deck i was working on, or how you used to could buy some land and put a trailer on it but OBAMA put a stop to that, and it made that big of an impression.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've always found "it's just in-setting propaganda, it's supposed to be reactionary" to be kind of a poor excuse because that poo poo spills over to the real world

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Years ago I ran into a guy who used to work at my local gaming store. I waved him down, shook his hand and this motherfucker hugged me! I knew him a little, we always chatted a bit at the register, and he seemed pretty cool. Apparently I was the only person to visit that store and talk to the employees like real people, and not just ramble on about this seventeenth level blood paladin I played once, or the intricacies of a Magic deck i was working on, or how you used to could buy some land and put a trailer on it but OBAMA put a stop to that, and it made that big of an impression.

That makes me genuinely so sad. Like, that's awful that being polite was enough to get him to remember you

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It's an incredibly stupid hill to stake an IP on

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was also written at a time when IRL women weren't allowed combat roles in the military. Plus it's Horus Heresy - they've gone above and beyond to show that every faction is the Bad Guys.

IDK, out of all the injustices in this drat hobby "the pretend space fascists aren't hiring women" is like a comparative 0.03.

In Turnabout Intruder, a key plot point is made of how a woman can't command a Federation starship. And it makes sense - it's jarring because that kind of inequality is inconsistent with the values of the Federation.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

moths posted:

In Turnabout Intruder, a key plot point is made of how a woman can't command a Federation starship. And it makes sense - it's jarring because that kind of inequality is inconsistent with the values of the Federation.

Only vaguely related, but one of my least favorite Star Wars novels has Threepio cheerfully explaining that not only is it illegal for droids to fly spaceships, they are intentionally built to be unable to. He also explains that droids are so fundamentally unable to say no to sentient lifeforms that the easiest way to steal a droid is to just wait til its owner is out of the room, then say "Droid, you belong to me and are my property, come get on my spaceship where you will work for me now." He explains this because it is currently happening.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo. Yeah Star Wars' "droids as slaves" thing is a thematic can of worms. Especially given that slavery still exists in Star Wars. But it's kind of intentional parody that the neo-liberal rebellion never addresses that particular elephant.

I'd also like to add a clarification: It makes sense that the audience would be uncomfortable with the Federation's incongruent treatment of women. It does not make sense for women to be prohibited from captaining starships.

But then again, with their means-test dividing the universe into warp-drive haves and have-nots, maybe the Federation's on the same liberal-not-left page as the Rebellion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's just bone stupid is the thing. The 'process of becoming a Space Marine' is so warped and insane and hosed up that it bears no resemblance to a normal Biotruths Man once it's done so why the gently caress couldn't it be done to a Biotruths Woman? Why bother even making that a thing?

I was watching a Let's Player go through Total War Warhammer as Skaven at one point and he named one of the little hero skaven a name that suggested it was a girl and the comments section went *insane*.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

HopperUK posted:

It's just bone stupid is the thing. The 'process of becoming a Space Marine' is so warped and insane and hosed up that it bears no resemblance to a normal Biotruths Man once it's done so why the gently caress couldn't it be done to a Biotruths Woman? Why bother even making that a thing?

Congratulations on finding The Whole Point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The funniest thing about Disney running the Star Wars IP into the ground is that they signed off on making it canon that the Millennium Falcon is powered by a stolen sex slave AI.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bottom Liner posted:

The funniest thing about Disney running the Star Wars IP into the ground is that they signed off on making it canon that the Millennium Falcon is powered by a stolen sex slave AI.

Wait really? Is the Millennium Falcon loving sapient??

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's weird too because GW clearly realized it's something they can do like with the Stormcast Eternals including women but they just don't. They also easily could have made Custodes include women without retconing when they made them a model line and just didn't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Wait really? Is the Millennium Falcon loving sapient??

Yeah in the funniest loving way. Lando had (owned) a droid that believed in and fought for droids being free, it’s heavily implied that she and Lando were loving, and when she gets shot they plug her brain into the Falcon to power the nav system (she is why they did the Kessel run, 3PO mentions the weird dialect, etc). Also her name is, and I’m not joking, L337.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah in the funniest loving way. Lando had (owned) a droid that believed in and fought for droids being free, it’s heavily implied that she and Lando were loving, and when she gets shot they plug her brain into the Falcon to power the nav system (she is why they did the Kessel run, 3PO mentions the weird dialect, etc). Also her name is, and I’m not joking, L337.

And it's worse because the lobotomy was not consensual -- despite her being a droid rights activist, at her death Our Heroes said "hey, wow, great! A free computer for the ship!"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, that was implied too. Even in death she can’t be free. It’s a completely hosed B plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

homullus posted:

And it's worse because the lobotomy was not consensual -- despite her being a droid rights activist, at her death Our Heroes said "hey, wow, great! A free computer for the ship!"

This is the plot of a semi-decent horror story.