Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

I haven't played pauper in over a year. I thought it was already pretty heavily shitted up with this:

Tron is just the hemorrhoid that pauper has to live with, but the real bullshit is mono blue faeries/ninjas and that deck is just miserable to play against

Edit: the current Tron build du jour seems to be the old UG fangren marauder build, due to rakdos affinity being really prevalent in the meta

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tron in pauper feels like Fetchlands in modern and legacy at this point, where it is such an ingrained part of the format's identity that it will never be removed even if doing so might lead to a better game.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

Tron is just the hemorrhoid that pauper has to live with, but the real bullshit is mono blue faeries/ninjas and that deck is just miserable to play against

Edit: the current Tron build du jour seems to be the old UG fangren marauder build, due to rakdos affinity being really prevalent in the meta

Just play tireless tribe in pauper and don't give a single poo poo about your opponent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Just play tireless tribe in pauper and don't give a single poo poo about your opponent.

:hmmyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I was gonna say that this is a lovely reprint at mythic given the other stuff we've seen but apparently it's 20 dollars and not a dollar bin superstar like I expected. Neat.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yooo is that some richard kane fergy art

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mezzanon posted:

I fuckin hate tribe, I walk the honorable path of mono black devotion

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

I was gonna say that this is a lovely reprint at mythic given the other stuff we've seen but apparently it's 20 dollars and not a dollar bin superstar like I expected. Neat.

I usually like RKF art, but where's it's face????

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Do you like…

Foglios?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

Dromoka's a solid reprint. I want one.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TotalHell posted:

Do you like…

Foglios?

YOOOOOOOOO I NEED THIS TOO

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TotalHell posted:

Do you like…

Foglios?

Hell loving yeah gimme some Foglios art, it's always so cartoony and out of place for MTG art.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So RFK, Doug Shuler and Foglio are back for this. I wonder what other long time lapsed artists they're bring back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TotalHell posted:

Do you like…

Foglios?

This is peak mtg art is suppose to look like.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Do you like…

Foglios?

This is awesome, I love Foglio art.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jaegermonster/Heterodyne tribal when.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I started playing Magic back in the mid 90's when I was a kid, and I played semi-seriously in local tournaments through the early 2000's as a teen. I then basically shelved my cards for twenty years. I recently pulled them out and was wondering if it would even make sense to try and get a game these days. Do people still play Type 1 or whatever? If I walk into a local card shop, I'm going to be that guy, aren't I?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I started playing Magic back in the mid 90's when I was a kid, and I played semi-seriously in local tournaments through the early 2000's as a teen. I then basically shelved my cards for twenty years. I recently pulled them out and was wondering if it would even make sense to try and get a game these days. Do people still play Type 1 or whatever? If I walk into a local card shop, I'm going to be that guy, aren't I?

Good news is that some of your cards could be worth some money. Second, there are like a million formats compared to the old days. Its always a good time to come back and play.

Damage is no longer on the stack and mana burn is no longer a thing.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Good news is that some of your cards could be worth some money.

Yeah, that’s no joke. I never had anything worth a ton, because I was a teenager, but it looks like even random “normal” rare stuff like dual lands is worth 10x what it was back when I played.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's no faster way to get reacquainted with the rules changes since you've played by playing a bit of Arena.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jaegermonster/Heterodyne tribal when.

Hell with that, Buck Godot for Unfinity

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TotalHell posted:

Do you like…

Foglios?

This is very very good and the flavor text is :discourse:

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, that’s no joke. I never had anything worth a ton, because I was a teenager, but it looks like even random “normal” rare stuff like dual lands is worth 10x what it was back when I played.
if you have dualies then you probably have a bunch of other things worth a ton, especially if it's alpha/beta/unlimited. Can you take some pictures of your stuff? Like no joke, especially when it comes to reserved list stuff (things they will never reprint such as dual lands and a ton of cards from those era of sets), you could buy a decent used car or even a new one if you've still got any of a wide variety of old cards.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

if you have some cards from the original sets, you might be sitting a good payday. there's a lot of good info in the op of the MTG buy/sell thread in sa-mart on how to get started selling them

if you're looking to play games, you might want to first try the tutorial of the MTG arena app so you can reacquaint yourself with the rules, which have changed some since you played.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So RFK, Doug Shuler and Foglio are back for this. I wonder what other long time lapsed artists they're bring back.

When was the last time Rebecca Guay did something

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jiro posted:

I usually like RKF art, but where's it's face????

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When was the last time Rebecca Guay did something

Last year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I also want to point out that stuff worth something a long time ago isn't a good indicator of things. Things worthless a long time ago actually are some of the most expensive things around. Nothing (even basic lands) can be overlooked. Check it all out.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Good news is that some of your cards could be worth some money. Second, there are like a million formats compared to the old days. Its always a good time to come back and play.

Damage is no longer on the stack and mana burn is no longer a thing.

Oh and your opponent isn't cheating when they are dealing with their mulligan.

I started on a kid my first match when he started to scry after mulliganing when I took a 7 year break.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Toshimo posted:

Last year.

oh sweet

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Where my Anson Maddocks at

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Seasoned Pyromancer could still be in...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I somehow totally blanked cracking a foil ancient copper dragon. I just said "cool", sleeved it, and threw it in my Tiamat commander deck-in-progress before moving on to the next pack. Imagine my surprise checking TCGplayer prices today lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yowza

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

litany of gulps posted:

So the main sanctioned formats in paper now are:
Vintage: Formerly type 1, almost all cards are legal but the only format with a restricted list. Very hard to find in paper since decks cost upwards of 50 grand.
Legacy: Basically type 1.5 cards from all sets are legal but with a banned list, so no black lotuses here. Can be hard to find games here since the decks are still fairly expensive, but if you have duals you can probably make a deck for not too bad.
Pauper: Only commons are legal, but includes all the sets.
Standard: The rotating format, equivalent to the old type 2.
Modern and Pioneer: non rotating formats that have start dates, for your purpose the cards you own will only be legal in these formats if they were reprinted.
Commander: 100 card singleton multiplayer format where you pick a legendary creature to be your commander. All sets are legal here so your duals can be played. A more casual format though there are competitive players.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Seasoned Pyromancer could still be in...

You rang?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm trying to figure out what i don't like about the art direction for the borderless full-arts in 2x2 shown so far. i don't mind the style choice but the colors look kinda muted and the resolution seems off. i'm a fan of foglio's art: conch horn, dream cache and bee sting but this one just doesn't look good to me.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

if you have dualies then you probably have a bunch of other things worth a ton, especially if it's alpha/beta/unlimited. Can you take some pictures of your stuff? Like no joke, especially when it comes to reserved list stuff (things they will never reprint such as dual lands and a ton of cards from those era of sets), you could buy a decent used car or even a new one if you've still got any of a wide variety of old cards.

I really don't have a ton of pre-revised stuff. Browsing through TCGPlayer, these seems to be some of the highlights...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lol, those beta lands And duals are a huge haul. Congrats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you are sitting on at least ten thousand dollars there friend, easy

a bit hard to make out condition on them but the duals at least look to be in decent shape, probably lightly or heavily played on most, but at least they don't have fuckin' holes in them like some of my cards from that era had

edit: ...are those autographed alpha drain lifes, I assume it's the sleeves that are all wrinkled and not the cards themselves

you should probably catalogue a lot more than just what you posted, since if you've got ANYTHING from alpha/beta/unlimited in good condition, it can be worth an absurd amount especially lately

can you take pictures of every page of that binder? just realized how many of those are alpha. that's wild. here's a very useful page for quickly running down values on entire sets, I've set it to alpha, beta, and unlimited here, but you can pick individual sets: https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=LEA%7CLEB%7C2ED&o=n

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

I really don't have a ton of pre-revised stuff. Browsing through TCGPlayer, these seems to be some of the highlights...

:kstare: