Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Hollandia posted:

My partner was telling me about an Indiana Jones game she'd played as a kid and it turned out to be Yoda Stories reskinned (or maybe vice versa?). Either way, they made virtually identical games for the different IPs. I spent a lot of time on the crappy Yoda game.

Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures! I played the hell out of both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hollandia posted:

My partner was telling me about an Indiana Jones game she'd played as a kid and it turned out to be Yoda Stories reskinned (or maybe vice versa?). Either way, they made virtually identical games for the different IPs. I spent a lot of time on the crappy Yoda game.

Indiana Jones is the older one, couple of years earlier.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

kirbysuperstar posted:

This has never been true lmao

X-Wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight
Super Empire Strikes back and Super Return of the Jedi
Rebel Assault I & II (at the time)
Both Starfighter games
Rogue Squadreon and Rogue Leader
Rebel Strike
Pod Racer
Rebellion
Empire at War
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
Republic Commando

LEC was a powerhouse back in its day. When it folded and they started licensing out stuff, the games got baaaaaaaaad real quickly. Only a handful of those were made by licensees and weren't bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fuzz posted:

X-Wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight
Super Empire Strikes back and Super Return of the Jedi
Rebel Assault I & II (at the time)
Both Starfighter games
Rogue Squadreon and Rogue Leader
Rebel Strike
Pod Racer
Rebellion
Empire at War
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy
Republic Commando

LEC was a powerhouse back in its day. When it folded and they started licensing out stuff, the games got baaaaaaaaad real quickly. Only a handful of those were made by licensees and weren't bad.
What we're saying is that there was a whole lotta crap alongside all that gold, like Yoda Stories, Droidworks, Episode 1 The Game, the Jedi Knight expansion... It wasn't banger after banger, as much as we only remember the bangers.

Anyway, here's another GOG freebie: Beautiful Desolation. Uh, sorry. BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION. Branding, eh.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh cool, had been eyeing that for a while to sit in my library collecting dust but was too uncertain to spend money on it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that game is real neat, its a point and click adventure by the dev of STASIS but with a post-apoc setting (this ended up fooling some people into thinking the game was going to be a Fallout-like when it's not). when you talk to NPCs, they talk in a CGI window that reminds me of the old CDi game Laser Lords but without the claymation.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

To this day, I still remember "Yousa gonna get pasted, outlander!"
And the Tatooine level was Qui-Gon's big fetch quest day and it was awesome.

Fond memories of some blue guy yelling "Stop pushing me!" making me keep pushing him.

I don't remember much else about the game but I remember liking it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The 7th Guest posted:

that game is real neat, its a point and click adventure by the dev of STASIS but with a post-apoc setting (this ended up fooling some people into thinking the game was going to be a Fallout-like when it's not). when you talk to NPCs, they talk in a CGI window that reminds me of the old CDi game Laser Lords but without the claymation.

I was surprised the game didn't get more recognition, even just on the merit of its visuals. It basically disappeared after release.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

that game is real neat, its a point and click adventure by the dev of STASIS

gently caress. I hated Stasis a lot. I was so excited to play it and it was a miserable playing game with disappointing narrative. But this looks like it will be a radically different style.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that the Thief games, at least the first one, were also in that camp.

Thief was different in that there were multiple routes to places you wanted to go, and you could buy a map to prepare for your heist. The later Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games in particular had huge cities as maps where you just kinda had to find your way around with no indicators of where you were going. I don't know if they were the last - the late nineties/early 2000's was full of that, but most of those games have thankfully faded from memory.

The best Lucasarts shooter was Outlaws, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

TheAnomaly posted:

The best Lucasarts shooter was Outlaws, though.

That game was loving perfect. The soundtrack was so awesome.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rinkles posted:

I was surprised the game didn't get more recognition, even just on the merit of its visuals. It basically disappeared after release.

Based on the visuals you think you're getting old Fallout, but it's a point-and-click adventure. It has a lot of environments with just a couple things to do in them, one of which is usually finding hidden gold items you can exchange for currency. Good on them that they had the time and budget to create all those environments, but it does make them feel empty (even for a game named Beautiful Desolation). There is an obvious morality system going on, but it doesn't really work for me in an adventure game like that.

I'm glad someone had the guts to make a game that is so old-skool in this day and age, but I totally get why it didn't set the world on fire.

You should get it while they have this kiff giveaway tho, you'd be a domkop not to.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2022

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Kins posted:

What we're saying is that there was a whole lotta crap alongside all that gold, like Yoda Stories, Droidworks, Episode 1 The Game, the Jedi Knight expansion... It wasn't banger after banger, as much as we only remember the bangers.

Anyway, here's another GOG freebie: Beautiful Desolation. Uh, sorry. BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION. Branding, eh.

Right, but of the stuff you're naming, only Yoda Stories was a flop in the 90s. Like half that list is from the 90s. You guys need to recognize that for those of us that grew up then, that literally was our entire childhood and teenager time with banger after banger Star Wars game all the way up until the prequels, with Yoda Stories being the only flop since it was a rehash of the Indiana Jones game (yes, Indy came first) and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, and even that was still solid it was just MP only in an era when MP was still shaky. Episode 1 brought a lot of really lovely games in, and then it just kept going downhill from there.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm not sure when my wishlist became a trap designed to trick me into buying a game I already got for free somewhere else, but that's what it is now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

treat posted:

I'm not sure when my wishlist became a trap designed to trick me into buying a game I already got for free somewhere else, but that's what it is now.

I sympathise. I am trying to force myself not to buy Alien: Isolation again on GOG for 75% off as I already have the full version on Steam, the base version for free on Epic, and everything runs from the same launcher. I've had a 'GOG first' policy for so long that it's hard to break the habit.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

JustJeff88 posted:

I sympathise. I am trying to force myself not to buy Alien: Isolation again on GOG for 75% off as I already have the full version on Steam, the base version for free on Epic, and everything runs from the same launcher. I've had a 'GOG first' policy for so long that it's hard to break the habit.

You could buy it for me on GOG, and I promise not to play it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought gifts were legal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

You could buy it for me on GOG, and I promise not to play it.

I can't keep that promise. I might hack your account and play it, even though it would be a lot of work to play a game that I already own.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

That talking window also reminds me of Fallout 1/2.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Breetai posted:

There was a Jedi Outcast custom map that was an arena battle where you had full force powers and all stances and had to fight successive waves of enemy force users starting with a single yellow dark Jedi and culminating with the end boss, which had smack my bitch up as background music for some reason, and playing it with g_saberrealisticcomcat=1 was 99% of the reason I'd install it at any given instance.

I remember that map, I had a shitload of hotkeys set so I could spawn in more reborn or jedi or activate bullet time whenever I wanted. Great fun just running around map spawning rebels and such to do the fighting or make things more hectic while I had notarget on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Breetai posted:

There was a Jedi Outcast custom map that was an arena battle where you had full force powers and all stances and had to fight successive waves of enemy force users starting with a single yellow dark Jedi and culminating with the end boss, which had smack my bitch up as background music for some reason, and playing it with g_saberrealisticcomcat=1 was 99% of the reason I'd install it at any given instance.

That map was actually a developer made Easter Egg hidden in the files.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I tried installing and playing Wolfenstein finally, but the drat thing just crashes straight to desktop constantly. Only thing I saw for a fix was "hey, try limiting FPS to 60" so I did, and it seemed like it worked, and then it didn't, soooooooooooooooooo... Anyone got any tips on that one?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I get CTD and also every NPC has lines on their face like all the textures are 1 px too narrow.
Serves us right for playing the free game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Just a funny anecdote about crashes, for giggles. I had some problem a few months ago playing the original No One Lives Forever, and I found an obscure forum post where someone said that they had the same problem until they unplugged their wireless logitech dongle for some peripheral. I did that and it worked just fine.

More recently, I was having crash-on-startup problems with another, totally different game on my desktop - my laptop works just fine. I looked everywhere for solutions, with no luck, and was about to just uninstall when I noticed the icon for NOLF1 on the taskbar. On a whim, I unplugged my wireless Logitech headset - started right up.

Bloody weird.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sound card incompatibility? Some headsets are their own USB soundcards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Sound card incompatibility? Some headsets are their own USB soundcards.

No idea; just happy that it works. Mind you, I can plug it back in after the game starts up, use the headset even, and it's fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JustJeff88 posted:

Just a funny anecdote about crashes, for giggles. I had some problem a few months ago playing the original No One Lives Forever, and I found an obscure forum post where someone said that they had the same problem until they unplugged their wireless logitech dongle for some peripheral. I did that and it worked just fine.

More recently, I was having crash-on-startup problems with another, totally different game on my desktop - my laptop works just fine. I looked everywhere for solutions, with no luck, and was about to just uninstall when I noticed the icon for NOLF1 on the taskbar. On a whim, I unplugged my wireless Logitech headset - started right up.

Bloody weird.

It's not an uncommon finding that Lithtech loving HATES logitech's HIDs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Not in Sweden.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

So I tried installing and playing Wolfenstein finally, but the drat thing just crashes straight to desktop constantly. Only thing I saw for a fix was "hey, try limiting FPS to 60" so I did, and it seemed like it worked, and then it didn't, soooooooooooooooooo... Anyone got any tips on that one?

Try running MemTest86: https://www.memtest86.com

I dealt with similar crashes, but it turned out to be a bad memory stick.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not an uncommon finding that Lithtech loving HATES logitech's HIDs

Interesting, but the second game was the helicopter game 'Nuclear Strike', which is not by Lithtech. In any event, just glad to see it working.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not in Sweden.

Your Christmas/Hannukah season must be very disappointing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Your Christmas/Hannukah season must be very disappointing.

The vast majority of Swedes celebrates neither.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The vast majority of Swedes celebrates neither.

Sprinkle some cinnamon on your fika.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Flashback free on GOG (magic link)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

treat posted:

Use a client like playnite to list all your owned games from different stores/clients in one place

I set it to group by storefront just for the screenshot but you can also just group everything by installed vs uninstalled and search everything at once.
All the games in this screenshot were free except titanfall

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s worth paying for titanfall 2

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s worth paying for titanfall 2

Well yeah: you're allowed to play it then.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Use a client like playnite to list all your owned games from different stores/clients in one place

I set it to group by storefront just for the screenshot but you can also just group everything by installed vs uninstalled and search everything at once.
All the games in this screenshot were free except titanfall

What advantages would this have over Galaxy?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JustJeff88 posted:

In my experience the gog galaxy integrations with other stores were kinda poo poo and constantly logged themselves out and then threw up pop-ups asking you to muck around with 2FA stuff to sign back in. The UI for browsing/sorting the list of games is also just kind of awkward and unintuitive to move around in whereas playnite has a plain old table straight outta 1990 that Just Works(tm).
Playnite also has a more integrations available than galaxy including the one for itch.io.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Thirding Galaxy integrations seemed to never work.

Playnite is open-source and not run by a storefront. While I don't think GOG is intentionally making Galaxy integrations lovely, they aren't exactly uninterested third parties.

Also being open-source, if there's an integration you want, you can implement it yourself (given enough time and effort into programming it((learning programming))).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaxy integrations with Steam working ok here, if only for a dissenting opinion (I don't use Epic or Uplay at all). In any case it's good that Playnite exists as a competing open source project.