Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Who's got time for that. Assman runs first team games, i just run the recruitment meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Are all 'new' players in this template reproductions of other players, or are some of them entirely random constructions of the game's RNG?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

JustJeff88 posted:

Are all 'new' players in this template reproductions of other players, or are some of them entirely random constructions of the game's RNG?

IIRC it used to be the former Back In The Day, but over the years it's mostly become the latter?

vvvv

"template reproductions", as in copies of older players based on a template?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 10, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

What "template?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As far as I know all players are full random newgens now. In the old days it was more like fifa where all players were just regens of older players i.e. you'd literally find a new Messi with a different name

The only templates I'm aware of now are the face in the game people, and that's just the portraits

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
By template, I meant that perhaps the game had a default sort of character file for, say, Messi that could be re-applied randomly to a new player, and that player would grow similarly to him subject to other factors. This isn't an odd idea; PES used to do this and probably still does.

Azhais posted:

As far as I know all players are full random newgens now. In the old days it was more like fifa where all players were just regens of older players i.e. you'd literally find a new Messi with a different name

The only templates I'm aware of now are the face in the game people, and that's just the portraits

This is what I meant. I'm glad that it's not just templates.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

By template, I meant that perhaps the game had a default sort of character file for, say, Messi that could be re-applied randomly to a new player, and that player would grow similarly to him subject to other factors. This isn't an odd idea; PES used to do this and probably still does.

This is what I meant. I'm glad that it's not just templates.

I was confused when you said, "this template," because it seemed you were talking about something that actually happens and not asking does something happen.

But no, they don't use templates. From what people know players are generated by an RNG in co-operation with/seeded by the youth facilities of the team they go to, the HOYD they have, the nation's quality when it comes to developing youth, and the nation's interest in football. There's other factors, I'm sure, but those are the main ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's all newgens, not regens, and has been for years.

Newgens do use loose templates based on the different tactical roles to give some structure to their attribute spread, but you don't get retired players reincarnated any more.

When I got put in the game as a potential newgen I think all I got to choose was favourite position, height, weight and strongest foot.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Azhais posted:

Who's got time for that. Assman runs first team games, i just run the recruitment meetings

The only thing stopping the game from having a director of football mode is the rear end manager ai is dumb as poo poo

which is a shame because I'd loving love to just play loan factory 2023 as a DoF

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Slotducks posted:

The only thing stopping the game from having a director of football mode is the rear end manager ai is dumb as poo poo

which is a shame because I'd loving love to just play loan factory 2023 as a DoF

Not significantly dumber than the other AI managers, though, so at least it's a level playing field.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

It's all newgens, not regens, and has been for years.

Newgens do use loose templates based on the different tactical roles to give some structure to their attribute spread, but you don't get retired players reincarnated any more.

When I got put in the game as a potential newgen I think all I got to choose was favourite position, height, weight and strongest foot.

That clears it up, then. Again, in my defence, PES did/has done this for years and apparently so has FIFA. It's a cheap, lazy way to make new players for long campaigns.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

sassassin posted:

You should turn off every "automatically..." option. The game is bad at itself. You should always be checking the reserves sides' lineup and formation every single game, because they will be doing something dumb every time.

Yep, AssMan just loves to put players in the wrong positions. Love to see my CB prospect being thrown in at RW.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Moktaro posted:

Yep, AssMan just loves to put players in the wrong positions. Love to see my CB prospect being thrown in at RW.

AI first team managers will just as gleefully do that poo poo and gently caress your prospects' attributes up training them in a position you don't want them to learn. And also they almost always either hardly ever play them or play them to death. That's why I never loan out a youth prospect unless I'm 100% certain I will never use him and just want to goose his value before selling, and tyrannically micromanage my youth squads. In my experience prospects develop just as well, probably better, in my U23s with me personally controlling their training and game usage than they do out on loan under the vicissitudes of AI stupidity, at least before age 21-22.

One thing you do have to do is overstock your youth squads with useless filler players on minimum wage, because if your U23 side just flat doesn't have enough players to dress after a run of injuries the AI can and will ignore your orders and play Billy Strikerprospect at left back on 78% condition before it will dress grayed out randos. The only way to avoid this is to actually move Billy to the senior squad, which you don't want to do because he'll throw a shitfit when you move him back to the U23s.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 11, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Another season with Cork City is finished. I was pulling my hair out at the start of the campaign when I was outperforming my opposition, out-XG'ing them, but my goalkeeper was playing like a drain. It took me a while to realise it wasn't just fluke, that his form was a serious issue and my team were mostly playing pretty well. I took a chance on another keeper, not hugely better than him but when he came he started stopping shots. I'll keep my original guy as backup, but after his dip I've lost trust in him despite him being rock solid for an entire season at this level.

Despite that we made a good go at the league. Coming into the last game we needed to win and the team ahead of us needed to draw and we'd win the Irish Premier Division, they were drawing while we were 4-1 up for an age, but they scored really late to deny us a closing day league win. I put this all down to us going out of the FAI Cup in the quarters and only getting to the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Europa Conference League so we played quite a few less games and fatigue/match sharpness/congestion was less of an issue.

After a good run from other Irish teams in Europe Irish teams in the non-champion spot go into the Conference League in the second qualifying round, so I'm hoping we can get through to the group stages proper, which will sort out our finances and give us a good bump in reputation to actually attract players. I've reached the limit on the quality of player I can get at City's reputation so it's all about getting a good run, or winning the league outright so I go through to the Champions League qualifiers, where I think one win at any point means you're guaranteed some European group stage. I'd like Europe this year though, especially with the board now setting their official target at challenge for the title despite our team not really being hugely better.

My dilemma for next year is whether I build the squad in preparation for a European run or try and flog my players to do it all with less players. I tried a bigger squad last year, but with so few players coming in from Ireland they all take ages to adapt to their new country and it's a season later before they're playing at their stats. Still, this is an enjoyable save so far. For some reason Irish teams are doing pretty OK (for Ireland) in Europe, especially compared to my Waterford save, so the league is far more of a challenge.

I feel like I need a beer after the season I've been through.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wouldn't British players adapt really quickly? I've lived in both the UK and the RoI; not that much difference culturally/linguistically and football is football.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Wouldn't British players adapt really quickly? I've lived in both the UK and the RoI; not that much difference culturally/linguistically and football is football.

I've mainly had British loans and they seem to fit in fairly quickly, but I don't know if that's a cultural link between Ireland and Britain coded into FM or whether loanees get a boost because they know they're in my team for development and they're not permanently living here. The shared language is definitely a bonus in the game for how quickly someone adapts, that's known. Apart from that it could just be anomalies that shared language British signed players just don't adapt. I genuinely don't know but when everything else is OK, tactical familiarity, role suitability, social group in the squad dynamics, etc. it just comes down to their hidden adaptability stat and I've been finding quite a few of the players I sign take a season before they're performing to their stats. So my loans are doing ok, mostly, but my signed players not so much, not for a season or so.

It causes a problem when I know this. And I know I can't really rely on a player for a while, they're getting pissy about how often they start but my team isn't good enough to allow a drop in performance anywhere in the team. If I was dominating it'd be easier to just throw someone in knowing the rest of the team will make up for it.

That's why I'm debating taking in fewer players this year (even adding players to the team can cause problems for the guys you already have.) So I'd give a full season to mostly integrated players and see how I do, and I hopefully do well enough that my next signings due to increased rep are good enough to outplay my opponents even if they're not fully adapted after their move. The problem then is depth, if I do go on a European run.

This save is a lot more difficult than my Waterford. The board/fans expect a lot more a lot quicker even though we started in the first division. This was only my second season in the premier league, and they wanted me to qualify for the Champions League's next season (winning the league) until I negotiated it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I finished my fourth season with Cork City. My mistakes from earlier seasons had an effect this year. Qualifying for European qualification stages when I was in the First Division, and every season since meant I had put all my focus on building a deep squad, failing to get to the Conference League proper meant my finances couldn't support it. I had unlucky draws every time and with nowhere to drop down to from the Conference League you need a fair bit of luck. My board reduced my wage budget a fair bit a little into the season, and my balance was looking to be 2m in the red if I didn't do something.

I had to loan out my biggest earners and sell some guys who weren't quite performing but had the potential to be really good when they adapted to Ireland. That stopped the bleeding but it meant my squad depth was in the tank. I needed an extreme result to get a hope of a brighter future.

I think it was actually lucky that we lost our first tie in the Conference League qualifiers, it meant I could focus on the league. There were a few blips but we managed to secure first place and the League of Ireland with three games left to go. That means I'm in Champions League qualifier path, and two wins at any stage guarantees me at least Conference League group stages and about €3.5m which should see my balance at about neutral. The problem is I'm not sure I have the ability to build up the squad again, so I won't perform in the League like I should, which means no money next year.

I asked the board to find a senior affiliate for loans but they couldn't find one (I think my facilities are too poor for big teams, the League of Ireland not a good enough league, and that it's a summer league I would guess means the timing of loans is wrong and rules out any "easy" relationships.)

I'm mostly OK with depth for a standard domestic season, barring a big injury bonanza (guaranteed to happen) except at right fullback. The guy I had in on loan wants double my top wage to commit, even if he is very good, something I can't and won't pay. Also I have a feeling some big teams will swoop on my high potential players. I do not have a squad for Europe.

This is real crunch time for me. Can I keep the board happy when they expect at least top 2 in the league, and domestic cup wins, while I know I need money from Europe. Ideally we'd fluke out in the Champions League, get a whopper €15m and build the club. Realistically we're looking at Conference League Groups, and 3 years before the club can be really transformed but my problem is the fans are absolutely nuts, have a taste of success (we won every domestic competition we were in), and want more when I really need time to build. My mistake being I tried to do that build too early absolutely screwing me over now we're in a real position to do it. I was just too ambitious.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Super realistic representation of how boards and supporters act IRL then, sounds like.

There's totally nothing wrong with just peaceing out to a new job once expectations go off into lalaland, other than the nuisance of having to spend 2 hours setting up your staff, training, etc.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Super realistic representation of how boards and supporters act IRL then, sounds like.

There's totally nothing wrong with just peaceing out to a new job once expectations go off into lalaland, other than the nuisance of having to spend 2 hours setting up your staff, training, etc.

I think it's a function of "Fan Passion" in the clubs hidden details. And Cork City has a fairly high one, plus they're supporter owned I believe. They're getting towards lunatic fan levels.

I was hoping to do a build a club save. I've never had any club where they expanded the stadium or built a new one and that was one goal. I'm also trying to play semi-realistically by not scouting the Hungarian u18s for wonderkids when I know a club in my situation wouldn't actually do that. The other problem with buying kids to sell for profit is that at my level anyone with above 130pa is considered godlike with 4.5stars from my scouts. I wouldn't be able to find a real big talent to cash in on without using editors or cheesing the game, something I don't want to do. My reputation at the moment means I take anyone with some level of skill even if there's downsides (doesn't like big matches/inconsistent.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Inconsistent is a pretty huge deal--if they're low enough Consistency to show up as inconsistent on the report then pretty much cut all their technical and mental attributes by a third.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Inconsistent is a pretty huge deal--if they're low enough Consistency to show up as inconsistent on the report then pretty much cut all their technical and mental attributes by a third.

They were the only players I could afford to bring in on my wages/with my rep until now. The plan is to slowly phase them out and get a strong squad from here on. Also, I think some high attributes in mentals can make up for a not deep red inconsistent so it balances out to them being an ok player. I have one DM who has light orange inconsistency (FM Enhanced skin) but his mentals mean if he's playing inconsistently in a game he won't be too bad, and if he doesn't hit the inconsistent trigger he'll be very good, but I get him at a bargain price because he's old enough to know he's not attractive to "real" teams.

I think at certain levels of the game if they're not hitting the dark red inconsistent/big games you can work around them. The big worry I'd have is if you're signing foreign players (so you're not playing in the UK) the adaptability trait will completely screw you. It'll take them a full year to settle down and by that point your ambitions should mean your squad is better than them when you're signing them on a two year contract at most.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i really wish you were allowed to manage african clubs outside SA, although some of the national teams are fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

creamcorn posted:

i really wish you were allowed to manage african clubs outside SA, although some of the national teams are fun.

All of Africa is available with league database

https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-around-the-world-league-megapack/

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I'm getting a new stadium for Newmarket Town, the board agreed to build a 5k+ so we won't have to share Cambridge City's pitch.

Had a good start in the Bananarama Regional, but have hit ye olde new year's slump. Doesn't help that the last attacking member of my golden generation youths got bought by Hamburg.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Time to start a North Korean league save

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

dxt posted:

Time to start a North Korean league save

Decisions: 8
Determination: 8
Stamina: 8
Juche: 20

Sign him up!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's a golden age for young British goalkeepers.

Who to sign?

I want my keeper to sweep which Hartson is going to be better at, and he's probably the better shot stopper too, but he's under 6ft and Henderson's Jumping/Aerial and Bravery have me doubting myself. His Anticipation, Decisions and Determination are all slightly better too, but Hartson's Concentration is great.

A dilemma.

e: Henderson has an extra half star of potential, but his two-footedness is going to be eating up a fair chunk of CA for comparatively little benefit. My scouts aren't fantastic so that's probably not a huge consideration either way.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 25, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IMO the stats that matter for goalkeepers are, by tier:

Communication, Anticipation
Composure, Decisions
Physicals, most importantly Agility
Reflexes, Positioning, One on Ones

And for the love of $DEITY stay away from keepers with high Eccentricity.

Everything else is pretty much superfluous. But you really want your keeper to have high Determination and mentals. Size doesn't seem to matter very much in FM.

Between those two dudes I'd check the scouting reports and media handling style and go with whichever one has better hidden attributes suggested.

Really if you just use Communication, Determination and whatever info about hiddens you can glean to pick your goalkeepers, you'll be fine 95% of the time.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 25, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sebzilla posted:

It's a golden age for young British goalkeepers.

Who to sign?

I want my keeper to sweep which Hartson is going to be better at, and he's probably the better shot stopper too, but he's under 6ft and Henderson's Jumping/Aerial and Bravery have me doubting myself. His Anticipation, Decisions and Determination are all slightly better too, but Hartson's Concentration is great.

A dilemma.

e: Henderson has an extra half star of potential, but his two-footedness is going to be eating up a fair chunk of CA for comparatively little benefit. My scouts aren't fantastic so that's probably not a huge consideration either way.

Henderson and it's not even close. Aerial Reach, Bravery, Anticipation, Decisions. Who cares how good the Concentration of the 5'11 guy is?

Two-footedness doesn't take up much CA/PA on goalkeepers.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Post your favourite funny regen names itt

His vision is surprisingly good.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

His time has passed so I don't have a screenshot, but definitely Ant Master for me.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Had a fella called Aldo Broccoli. Discount supermarket player.

Also, this lad, now in chewable flintstones format

While this guy might make the one good staff member out of retired players.

As was said elsewhere, now I just need a Jurgen Kloppest.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Not mine and I've posted it before, but anyway...

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Do enjoy regens from random corners of the globe popping up in your academy. Trying to work out how and why a winger from rural Portugal who speaks 4 languages and can play for Switzerland made the long journey to try out for Bradford City under 18s

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i have a player in my current hertha side called Robert Fick. his surname in german literally means “gently caress”. so to me he is bobby gently caress

the sex ghost posted:

Do enjoy regens from random corners of the globe popping up in your academy. Trying to work out how and why a winger from rural Portugal who speaks 4 languages and can play for Switzerland made the long journey to try out for Bradford City under 18s

i had a right-back from papua new guinea come through the academy at my last club. he even ended up being good enough to be a starter for a PL club

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

the sex ghost posted:

Congratulations, you found Bebe.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I play Out of the Park, which is this game but baseball. The world's most pre-eminent baseball league is 90+% American/Dominican/Venezuelan, which is kind of boring, so whenever I play that game I gently caress with the player generation algorithm to get Fijians, Andorrans, Zambians etc

Mrenda posted:

Had a fella called Aldo Broccoli. Discount supermarket player.

Also, this lad, now in chewable flintstones format

While this guy might make the one good staff member out of retired players.

As was said elsewhere, now I just need a Jurgen Kloppest.

Same Jurgen, now with 40% more Klopp!

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 2, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebzilla posted:

Post your favourite funny regen names itt

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
they really need to do something to fix the ease with which players get unsettled. you can be a top reputation club winning trophies every year and everyone still throws a strop because you won't accept a diddly offer from a much weaker club. Usually get to fix it by telling them they're a leader in the team and they're thrilled to hear it, but seem to forget it six months later. Eh maybe they all have impostor syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If anything FM's model makes it way easier to deal with star players on a megabastard team than it is in real life. Players are always unhappy about their contracts and unhappy about their playing time and unhappy about having to train and on and on. And FM doesn't even model baby momma drama, players loving teammates' wives, or sex crimes.