Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'd recommend a "Don't buy a pan/knife set" clause. Don't see it discussed much. Build your kitchen piecemeal and your money can go further. Plus if the set you buy ends up being a dud you wasted hundreds instead of less if you had just bought one. I bought a Calphalon 14 piece set when I first bought my house, wish I just bought like two pots and a pan instead for the same cash.

I would agree but I think you do need some degree of base knowledge to even realize what you need. One of the benefits of the sets is that people actually find out what they use most, and then can spend their money on better versions of the items they like. Someone who grew up without ever using a paring knife will move out and have no idea that they're useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Following this thread because I finally got a job where I can afford a Kitchenaid mixer (or another one if thread thinks Kitchenaid is not the way to go).

Sounds like the advice is "never buy a mixer for full price" so any pointers on where to smartly throw my cash are welcome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Back Alley Borks posted:

Following this thread because I finally got a job where I can afford a Kitchenaid mixer (or another one if thread thinks Kitchenaid is not the way to go).

Sounds like the advice is "never buy a mixer for full price" so any pointers on where to smartly throw my cash are welcome.

Kitchenaid refurbs are generally always available on their website or on other resellers like Amazon, I've had one for 6 or so years and it's been no different from a new one. If you're doing general purpose baking stuff I'd say the base tier one it's great, if you're doing stuff with doughs I might go to the one-step-up models because it puts more stress on the mixer.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

VelociBacon posted:

Kitchenaid refurbs are generally always available on their website or on other resellers like Amazon, I've had one for 6 or so years and it's been no different from a new one. If you're doing general purpose baking stuff I'd say the base tier one it's great, if you're doing stuff with doughs I might go to the one-step-up models because it puts more stress on the mixer.

Good to know! Looks like there's Pro 6s in stock there. Would the Pro 6 be able to handle dough? I occasionally make pizza dough and bread but have done that by hand, so it'd be great to have a mixer take care of it.

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 11, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Marshalls and Bed Bath and Beyond often has 20% off coupons that work on the Artisan series (read: entry level). They're always a popular item for black Friday as well. Mine has largely been problem free. I did have a locating pin come loose in the transmission but that was a cost free repair.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Back Alley Borks posted:

Good to know! Looks like there's Pro 6s in stock there. Would the Pro 6 be able to handle dough? I occasionally make pizza dough and bread but have done that by hand, so it'd be great to have a mixer take care of it.

Yeah other people in here would absolutely be better resources to answer that question (I don't know the individual models) but bread dough isn't really that hard on a mixer, it's pasta dough I think that can kick the poo poo out of it if your dough is on the dry side.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just saw an Artisan KitchenAid repair on Tik Tok where the issue that broke the plastic gearbox mount was dropping a spatula in which wedged with the paddle.

Not exactly a common thing but would probably not break a metal one, if you're the clumsy type or have kids.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think they all use one nylon gear to act as a failure point that is easily replaced. If you had even sintered metal gears in the entire transmission and you had some overload damage it could destroy multiple parts instead of a cheap plastic one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The KA pro has a HPish, which legitimately is needed for low hydration like bagels. The bad side is the 6qt bowl is so large doing like a 600 gram dough requires finishing it on the counter with your hands.

I want to say nylon is gone for all, when I took apart my parents decade + old pro to repair the orbital assembly it didn't look nylon (the gears did not break, the orbital shaft fell out). If the artisans still have the nylon definitely avoid it.

I have a Costco pro which had or has its own bowl type which I'm not thrilled about.

I still use it more than my arkansarum or whatever out of laziness.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nylon gears are a weird choice for over torque protection since clutches exist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you want a chamber vacuum sealer for $280, you can use the code DAD20 on anova's website for this: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

Nylon gears are a weird choice for over torque protection since clutches exist.

This is some Engineer vs Mechanic poo poo right here

Imagine the tooling/parts/labor/added cost of a adding a clutch to a kitchenaid vs just using a nylon gear that's never going to break in %99 of units anyways

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 11, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is some Engineer vs Mechanic poo poo right here

Imagine the tooling/parts/labor/added cost of a adding a clutch to a kitchenaid vs just using a nylon gear that's never going to break in %99 of units anyways

51 cents :v:

https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-white-gear-with-24-teeth-and-internal-clutch-76019-76244

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Didn’t they used to use a lead gear that was a lot better?

Also a ruined nylon gear is the most frequent failure mode for those mixers so I think a clutch would have probably been a better idea.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

therobit posted:

a ruined nylon gear is the most frequent failure mode for those mixers

That's the point. That gear breaks to prevent more valuable, harder to replace things from taking damage. The nylon gear is super cheap to make and very easy to replace.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Back Alley Borks posted:

My Pro5 does everything I ask it to do, though for stuff like pizza I'll tend to start in the mixer and finish by hand. Doesn't hurt that I got it on sale for like $200.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The pros have metal for a reason. I think the 300 and such watt motors could probably take significant damage trying a bagel or something, so it is a way to have the same frame and a better failure mode.

The pros just go through poo poo through. Good for sausage and pasta and the like attachments too because it works. I think it can overheat if stuck on a particular low hydration thing, but it can broadly handle it. Idk the last time I smelld burnt greese.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Got a hobart a200 on the cheap but the transmission needs to be completely rebuilt. I have nothing to my name except a $25 lego gift card. Any thoughts?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

parthenocarpy posted:

Got a hobart a200 on the cheap but the transmission needs to be completely rebuilt. I have nothing to my name except a $25 lego gift card. Any thoughts?
A complete working model of a 1967 Muncie M-22 "Rock Crusher" manual transmission, built entirely out of Lego and adapted for use in a stand mixer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm starting to get a bit more into making smoothies, and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading from using my immersion blender to an actual... blender blender. Any recs for a good blender that won't break the bank and maybe doesn't have a gigantic footprint? I'm about to take a look at what Costco has, but I know nothing about blenders so... :derp:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vitamix > ninja > others really.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up getting a refurbed Pro 6 for $245 shipped. It'll arrive in a week or so and I'll very likely immediately make bread or pizza with it.

I didn't get any attachments, but I may pick up the food grinder someday.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Vitamix > ninja > others really.

Even my girlfriend was like "you're loving insane for spending that much money on a blender" when I bought the Vitamix. 3 years later and she still uses it almost daily and won't ever consider anything else. It completely changes the perception of what a blender should be able to do.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm starting to get a bit more into making smoothies, and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading from using my immersion blender to an actual... blender blender. Any recs for a good blender that won't break the bank and maybe doesn't have a gigantic footprint? I'm about to take a look at what Costco has, but I know nothing about blenders so... :derp:

if you mostly want it for smoothies, a nutribullet will probably be fine, and it’s cheap and small which a vitamix definitely isn’t. i have the 900w model and it’s great for smoothies, sauces and soups. vitamix is for if you want to make your own peanut butter or do the thing where you cook your soup in the jar or other food sciency stuff.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fake edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ooh cool, also thank you! right now we don't have much use for a full on blender I don't think, so i'll take a look at that

KillHour posted:

Even my girlfriend was like "you're loving insane for spending that much money on a blender" when I bought the Vitamix. 3 years later and she still uses it almost daily and won't ever consider anything else.

lol well I was about to be like "well these blenders are uh a bit expensive..." but I guess I should consider it a bit more! Thanks for the recs.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

fake edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ooh cool, also thank you! right now we don't have much use for a full on blender I don't think, so i'll take a look at that

lol well I was about to be like "well these blenders are uh a bit expensive..." but I guess I should consider it a bit more! Thanks for the recs.

If you go to a restaurant supply store, you can usually score a used/refurbished model for a third of the usual retail price on any blender

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a blendtec that I got pretty cheaply but wish I had spent the extra for a vitamix

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Back Alley Borks posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up getting a refurbed Pro 6 for $245 shipped. It'll arrive in a week or so and I'll very likely immediately make bread or pizza with it.

If you’re going to get a grinder make sure you get one that’s all-metal, like this one. I use it regularly to grind beef and it does a great job with no fussy cleanup.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

If you go to a restaurant supply store, you can usually score a used/refurbished model for a third of the usual retail price on any blender

gently caress, I always forget that there's one of those close by, thanks for the reminder!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Back Alley Borks posted:

Kitchenaid has refurb meat grinders for $25 right now: https://www.kitchenaid.com/refurbished/attachments/p.refurbished-food-grinder-attachment.rksmfga.html

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

I got Ninja Pro series something a few years ago for about half the price of the cheapest Vitamix. The blender itself is about 80% as good as the Vita, but can’t really do the interesting unique things a Vita can do, like cook soup.

HOWEVER it came with an individual smoothie jar with its own blade and separate lid with a drinking hole/tab. That thing is legitimately better than any blender I have ever used, and I’ve spent years in restaurant kitchens with different models of Vitamix.

The Ninja smoothie jar turns anything into perfectly smooth incredibleness. I grind spices in it, and it always results in absolutely perfect uniform powders so fine I have to wait a few seconds for them to settle so I don’t immediately mace the kitchen. The smoothies I have made in it have no discernible seeds left. It emulsifies anything. Every time I use it I am still surprised at how crazy good it is.

The downside? It is loving LOUD. But it gets jobs done in like 10 seconds, better than anything else I can use, so it’s okay for me. It will wake
Up anybody in your house though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Recommendations for spice storage and knife storage?

I’ve got little kids, so I’m not too keen on keeping the knives in a drawer like I have in the past. I have a great bamboo knife holder that fits in the drawers but if the kids open that drawer than that’s no good and with how much I open it, it could be a pain to put a child lock on it.

Could use a magnetic block but I’ll have to think on the best place to put it.

Spices…I’ve got a lot of spices and can either put them in a narrow (8” wide I’m guessing? Maybe 10”) cabinet or could put them in a drawer. Not interested in the magnetic ones that go on a fridge though.

Any suggestions are welcome!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
magnetic racks that have a wood face are great. i have 2x of one and a third of a different type. kinda wish i had a fourth one tbh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWJ2SSM/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I got Ninja Pro series something a few years ago for about half the price of the cheapest Vitamix. The blender itself is about 80% as good as the Vita, but can’t really do the interesting unique things a Vita can do, like cook soup.

Can also recommend a Ninja. Granted, I mostly use it to make drinks (take the smoothie container thingy, fill with ice, add booze, top with fruit juice, whiz for 10 seconds, enjoy with straw)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i own a vitamix, but i reach for my bamix immersion blender and steel malt cup to make smoothies

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

magnetic racks that have a wood face are great. i have 2x of one and a third of a different type. kinda wish i had a fourth one tbh.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWJ2SSM/

I've got two of this exact one and wish I had space for more as well. Just note that you might have knives that don't stick to it well, my wife has a paring knife that is really unbalanced that I had to stop using it with because it kept slipping, and depending on how big your kids are and where you put them they could be an attractive nuisance.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hello! I have a question about what kind of kitchen utensil I would want that I’ve been having trouble googling. Basically, there have been a number of recipes I’ve tried that involve sautéing a minced or very finely chopped aromatic or piece of bacon or what have you, then removing it from the cooking vessel. Sometimes this is with a sauté pan, sometimes a Dutch oven, sometimes a wok, etc etc. Is there a particular utensil that excels at this? I would think a spider skimmer might be okay, but might not be fine enough to catch something that is minced up, especially with cooking vessels that have flat bottoms and straight walls, like a Dutch oven.

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question and the answer is just “get a big heat resistant spoon ya dummy” or even “just have some patience to do this task” but I wanted to ask what people like to use in this case. My biggest concern is missing small pieces that then proceed to burn and add the burnt flavor to the dish.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A regular slotted spoon (so yeah, a big heat-resistant spoon) is probably your friend here. You can fish out any especially disobedient bits with the silicone-tipped Oxo tongs you probably already have out for the next step.

I love my big Joseph Joseph scoop, which is perfect for many things, but probably not ideal for this since the tip isn't rounded enough to scrape around the edges of round vessels.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

fr0id posted:

Hello! I have a question about what kind of kitchen utensil I would want that I’ve been having trouble googling. Basically, there have been a number of recipes I’ve tried that involve sautéing a minced or very finely chopped aromatic or piece of bacon or what have you, then removing it from the cooking vessel. Sometimes this is with a sauté pan, sometimes a Dutch oven, sometimes a wok, etc etc. Is there a particular utensil that excels at this? I would think a spider skimmer might be okay, but might not be fine enough to catch something that is minced up, especially with cooking vessels that have flat bottoms and straight walls, like a Dutch oven.

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question and the answer is just “get a big heat resistant spoon ya dummy” or even “just have some patience to do this task” but I wanted to ask what people like to use in this case. My biggest concern is missing small pieces that then proceed to burn and add the burnt flavor to the dish.

If you want to be very, very sure that everything is out, use a mesh strainer over a bowl and any utensil to clear everything out from your cooking vessel. The strainer will retain all of the solids, and the liquids will fall into the bowl and can be added back to the wok/Dutch oven/etc. Otherwise, Anne Whately's suggestion is probably good enough with what you likely already have.

Anne Whateley posted:

A regular slotted spoon (so yeah, a big heat-resistant spoon) is probably your friend here. You can fish out any especially disobedient bits with the silicone-tipped Oxo tongs you probably already have out for the next step.

I love my big Joseph Joseph scoop, which is perfect for many things, but probably not ideal for this since the tip isn't rounded enough to scrape around the edges of round vessels.

This thing is very cool. I have no use for it currently but I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Once you have it, you start finding uses for it