Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've read IT twice (it took a long rear end time, I'm a slow reader, I read at talking pace), The Shining (one of my favorite books), and a ton of his short story books, maybe another big one. My favorite are his short stories. I have a short attention span and it's great to be able to get a whole story in a shorter amount of time. imo

A lot of goons that I've seen post like The Jaunt. That one freaked me out.

https://gist.github.com/Schemetrical/6184daf83843bcab9402

yeah jaunt is great. i like needful things. it sucks that the movie is loving awful outside having both Max von Sydow and Ed Harris. it cuts alot of the darker poo poo and basically ends with a big Arron Sorkin moment instead the actual book. it works.

full extended cut of the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQDwzjAY-MY

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Article's behind a paywall, but at least according to this headline:

https://twitter.com/bchasnoff/status/1538276308215554049

lol holy gently caress.

Lolie posted:

I had a couple of Audible credits so I now have both of these to listen to. Thanks for the recommendations.

yeah audible is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If anyone wants to real that article but doesn't want to fiddle around with the proxy here it is, unsurprisingly the level of incompetence is even worse when you read the whole thing.

quote:

Surveillance footage shows that police never tried to open a door to two classrooms at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde in the 77 minutes between the time a gunman entered the rooms and massacred 21 people and officers finally stormed in and killed him, according to a law enforcement source close to the investigation.

Investigators believe the 18-year-old gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at the school on May 24 could not have locked the door to the connected classrooms from the inside, according to the source.

On ExpressNews.com: Minute-by-minute reconstruction of Uvalde school shooting

All classroom doors at Robb Elementary are designed to lock automatically when they are closed so that the only way to enter from the outside is with a key, the source said. Police might have assumed the door was locked, but the latest evidence suggests it may have been open the whole time, possibly due to a malfunction, the source said.

The surveillance footage indicates gunman Salvador Ramos, 18, was able to open the door to classroom 111 and enter with an assault-style rifle, the source said.

Another door led to classroom 112.

On HoustonChronicle.com: Remember the lives lost in Uvalde school massacre

Ramos entered Robb Elementary at 11:33 a.m. that day through an exterior door that a teacher had pulled shut but that didn’t lock automatically as it was supposed to, indicating another malfunction in door locks at the school.

Police finally opened the door to classroom 111 and killed Ramos at 12:50 p.m. Whether the door was unlocked all along remains under investigation.

Regardless, officers had access the entire time to a “halligan” — a crowbar-like tool that could have opened the door to the classrooms even if it was locked, the source said.

On HoustonChronicle.com: At a cemetery in Uvalde, an everlasting grief

Two minutes after Ramos entered the building, three Uvalde police officers chased him inside. Footage shows that Ramos fired rounds inside classrooms 111 and 112, briefly exited into the hallway and then re-entered through the door, the source said.

Ramos then shot at the officers through the closed door, grazing two of them with shrapnel. The officers retreated to wait for backup and heavy tactical equipment rather than force their way into the classrooms.

Pedro “Pete” Arredondo, the Uvalde school district police chief and the on-scene incident commander, has said he spent more than an hour in the hallway of the school. He told the Texas Tribune that he called for tactical gear, a sniper and keys to get inside. He said he held officers back from the door to the classrooms for 40 minutes to avoid gunfire.

When a custodian brought a large key ring, Arredondo said he tried dozens of the keys but none worked.

But Arredondo was not trying those keys in the door to classrooms 111 and 112, where Ramos was holed up, according to the law enforcement source. Rather, he was trying to locate a master key by using the various keys on doors to other classrooms nearby, the source and the Texas Tribune article said.

While Arredondo waited for a tactical team to arrive, children and teachers inside the classrooms called 911 at least seven times with desperate pleas for help. One of the two teachers who died, Eva Mireles, called her husband by cellphone after she was wounded and lay dying.

The massacre occurred two days before the start of summer break, on the same day as a just-completed awards ceremony for the 3rd and 4th-graders at Robb Elementary.

Days after the massacre, Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said at a news conference that “each door can lock from the inside” and that when Ramos went in, “he locked the door.” That information was preliminary, the source said, and further investigation by the Texas Rangers has yielded new revelations about the door.

As the investigation has unfolded, law enforcement has changed the story of the massacre several times, adding to public confusion over how police responded to the mass shooting.

Days after the shooting, DPS said the exterior door that Ramos entered had been left propped open by a teacher. It wasn’t. She had closed it. And the agency also corrected early misinformation that school police shot at Ramos before he entered the school. No school police officers confronted him outside the school.

DPS and Uvalde city officials have refused to provide further details, citing an ongoing criminal investigation into the massacre by Uvalde District Attorney Christina Mitchell Busbee.

The Texas Rangers, with assistance from the FBI, are investigating the police response. Separately, the Justice Department is conducting a “critical incident review” of the police response.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, said he was upset by the new details.

“As more of the story comes out, I’m shocked like the rest of the country at the incompetence and dereliction of duty by multiple law enforcement agencies who failed to save those kids,” Castro said. “I’m also increasingly disturbed by what looks like an attempt to cover up the truth by state officials and the local police department who have refused to comply with requests to release information to the public.”

State Rep. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, whose district encompasses Uvalde, said he was unaware of the revelations about the door. If the door was unlocked the entire time — or if police could have forced their way in regardless — then people likely died unnecessarily, he said.

“If that’s true, we probably could have saved three or four extra children,” Gutierrez said. “The teacher possibly could have been saved. We know two kids had gunshot wounds that they bled out from. We know that one teacher was alive when they pulled her out and she died on the way to the hospital.”

Any law enforcement agency whose officers waited in the hallway for more than an hour “committed negligence,” he said, if the door could have easily been breached the entire time.

Gutierrez added that investigators should immediately clarify exactly how police responded — or failed to respond — to the massacre.

“What were the failures?” Gutierrez continued. “Were they communication failures? Were they human error failures? Were they system failures? Or was it simply something as simple as not turning a doorknob? We need to know that. And the fact that they are hiding all of this information from the public and community in Uvalde is just a tragedy.”.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CPL593H posted:

If anyone wants to real that article but doesn't want to fiddle around with the proxy here it is, unsurprisingly the level of incompetence is even worse when you read the whole thing.

We've had people die in siege situations here due to a cascade of errors, but you can usually at least understand how the errors came to be made and the eventual formal inquiries make recommendations aimed at preventing similar errors happening in the future.

Absolutely nothing about the police response to this incident makes any sense and I struggle to understand how the errors were made.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its because theyre fascist pig cowards that dont care if children are tortured to death a few feet from them hth

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, not only did they not try the door, but they had a loving Halligan? Goddamn.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The amount of lazy and incompetent in this story just keeps getting bigger and bigger

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, not only did they not try the door, but they had a loving Halligan? Goddamn.

Probably figured it was just for hitting unarmed people with and didn't understand how to use it for breaching.

The same sort of tool we could probably teach a chimpanzee how to use with an hour and a few reward treats.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Prosecute Arredondo for murder right the gently caress now imo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Butcher posted:

The same sort of tool we could probably teach a chimpanzee how to use with an hour and a few reward treats.

How’s a cop gonna figure out a complicated tool like that?

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

There was at least one study done recently that showed that when people admit wrongdoing or loving up, they go through actual fight-or-flight instincts similar or identical to those exhibited by someone in literal physical danger. So the cop admitting he was wrong and that he hosed up the operation would go through the same exact fight-or-flight mental stress as all of those kids he didn't save, as they were being shot dead.

I know this is from waaaay back but in the context of another study I had read about saying people in dangerous seeming situations also will report higher arousal during so, that the fight or flight adrenaline kick acts also as an aphrodisiac.

So it seems that huge blow out fights where one partner confesses to something shameful enough to start the adrenaline pumping, depending on how the argument goes, ends up where make up sex would be easily on the cards.

Or it could go the other way, and end up with a domestic violence situation as a reaction to the similarity to physical danger/pure hormone welling up in their brains.

Could go either way really, makes sense to learn some crisis intervention type skills at some point in our lives. Better communication saves lives!

edit: changed a word

Le Faye Morgaine fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 19, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

How’s a cop gonna figure out a complicated tool like that?

the same way the chimp did.
Oh, wait, cops get rewards and treats no matter how they act. It probably won't work

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I still think it will get worse...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I still think it will get worse...

We only have a mass murder every other week. How could it possibly get worse?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I feel like you could throw the words “dereliction of duty” and “coward” and “negligent” at me too when I’m on the job.

But the difference is that I have a bullshit white collar job that doesn’t really matter and impacts no one. I’m not a cop.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The fact that NOT ONE of the Uvalde cops hasn’t blown their brains out yet is a true testament to the the kind of self righteous, sociopathic personality being a cop attracts.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The fact that NOT ONE of the Uvalde cops hasn’t blown their brains out yet is a true testament to the the kind of self righteous, sociopathic personality being a cop attracts.

"I want to be the good guy with a gun." unless it endangers me personally.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The police chief took a job promotion a week later

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Blooster posted:

The police chief took a job promotion a week later

USA! USA!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think they meant this specific story. Because so far every time something else comes out about it holy poo poo do the cops somehow manage the impressive feat of looking even worse than they already did.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

They'll probably all live comfortably with it because cops love killing kids anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Lol remember when a few DC Congress cops had PTSD after Jan 6 and unlife'd themselves?

Porkers at Uvalde roasting steaks and burgs every week

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Lol remember when a few DC Congress cops had PTSD after Jan 6 and unlife'd themselves?

Porkers at Uvalde roasting steaks and burgs every week

don't mess with texas

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

CPL593H posted:

They'll probably all live comfortably with it because cops love killing kids anyway.

Especially non white kids.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Frequency, magnitude, reactionary laws that target minority groups

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 19, 2022

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

for tens of thousands of years, humanity existed on 'honour'

honour was your reputation, your legacy, and your credentials. it meant everything to everyone, and if you lost honour, you typically killed yourself to save SOME face in the exchange.

fast forward to the 21st century and people not only regard honour as archaic, they'll try to convince you it was bad to begin with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arete

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Any one of them could be a hero today if they wanted to.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CPL593H posted:

I think they meant this specific story. Because so far every time something else comes out about it holy poo poo do the cops somehow manage the impressive feat of looking even worse than they already did.

This is somehow gonna end in "Ramos was the good guy with the gun and the cops killed all of those kids themselves" at the rate we're going now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

This is somehow gonna end in "Ramos was the good guy with the gun and the cops killed all of those kids themselves" at the rate we're going now.

There seem to be whisperings that the cops might have shot at least one kid but I don't know how reliable that information is. If that's true then I'm sure a lot of time and money is being poured into covering that up.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

FoolyCharged posted:

3) This is literally volunteering someone to risk their life for you on the basis that they have already done so elsewhere. I get it, fire is there to help you through the worst day of your life and pd is often making it the worst day of someone's life. Just be careful, because throwing groups on a pedestal like that can also lead to poo poo like the way we treat teachers and treated all medical professionals during covid.

LOL Jesus Christ, are you a police commander?

Nevermind, tell your tax paid, super armored soldiers to sit tight. Maybe the shooter will get bored shooting kids.

And yeah, nothing screams 'selfish' like teachers and medical workers during COVID.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 20, 2022

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cops aren't people

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

pro starcraft loser posted:

LOL Jesus Christ, are you a police commander?

Nevermind, tell your tax paid, super armored soldiers to sit tight. Maybe the shooter will get bored shooting kids.

And yeah, nothing screams 'selfish' like teachers and medical workers during COVID.

No, if I were a police commander I would love for you to be volunteering fire to run into bullets for me.

I didn't call them selfish, I said we called them heroes and threw them to the loving wolves while singing their praises.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hate how the word hero is used now. Everyone who does X is a hero. All cops are heroes. All military vets are heroes. No. That's not how that works.

A hero is someone who goes above and beyond what any normal person would do, at the risk of their own life, to save others. It's very very rare. That's why they are heroes.

At least that's my definition.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

FoolyCharged posted:

No, if I were a police commander I would love for you to be volunteering fire to run into bullets for me.

I didn't call them selfish, I said we called them heroes and threw them to the loving wolves while singing their praises.

Interesting take

The cops letting a bunch of kids get mulched because they might get shot back at is intelligent while respecting doctors and teachers dealing with a global pandemic is just too much.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate how the word hero is used now. Everyone who does X is a hero. All cops are heroes. All military vets are heroes. No. That's not how that works.

A hero is someone who goes above and beyond what any normal person would do, at the risk of their own life, to save others. It's very very rare. That's why they are heroes.

At least that's my definition.

Agreed.

Love him or hate him, this is one of my favourite bits of stand-up on the topic of cops and 'heroes'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X7JAb5ZPqo

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/18/1106017340/uvalde-legal-loophole-mass-shooting-records

quote:

The City of Uvalde has hired a private law firm to make its case, which cited the "dead suspect loophole," to deny the release of information because the gunman died in police custody. The legal exception bars the public disclosure of information pertaining to crimes in which no one has been convicted. The Texas Attorney General's Office has ruled that the exception applies when a suspect is dead.

The maneuver has been used repeatedly by Texas law enforcement agencies to claim they're not required to turn over the requested information because a criminal case is still pending, even though the suspect is dead.

The loophole was established in the 1990s to protect people who were wrongfully accused or whose cases were dismissed, said Kelley Shannon, executive director of the Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas.

"It is meant to protect the innocent," Shannon said, but in some cases "it is being used and misused in a way that was never intended."

The city and its police department are arguing against the release of the requested records, citing the following reasons: the city is being sued, some individuals' criminal history records could include "highly embarrassing information"; some of the information could reveal police "methods, techniques, and strategies for preventing and predicting crime," could cause "emotional/mental distress," "is not of legitimate concern to the public," could subject city employees or officers to "a substantial threat of physical harm," and violates individuals' common-law right to privacy. City officials have also refused to release more details, reasoning that it would interfere with the ongoing investigation by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Uvalde County's district attorney and the FBI.

It's unclear from the lawyer's letter which legal protections are being applied to argue the release of which specific records.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CPL593H posted:

There seem to be whisperings that the cops might have shot at least one kid but I don't know how reliable that information is. If that's true then I'm sure a lot of time and money is being poured into covering that up.

A child being caught in the crossfire is still more explicable than doing absolutely nothing for over an hour while 19 children were murdered.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Hm...

Makes you wonder if this has ANYthing to do with the constitutional right to bear assault rifles, i cant tell.
I mean, clearly, topping some of the most barbaric countries i can name by a looooooooooongshot is purely a coincidence, you should totally continue hoarding war-grade armament in case the british attack.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Clearly the US has just more schools than all of those poo poo-hole countries combined! Beast educamational sytsem in teh wurld!!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
gently caress the term "hero" for anything unless you do something absolutely nuts putting your poo poo on the line and not giving a gently caress about helping no matter what happens. And it goes beyond these situations. The word really does mean nothing now.

Your job doesn't make you a hero because you pull a paycheck for it just for having the job title on your paystub.

And any real "hero" in those cases just gives a nod and moves on. No social media. No TV self-aggrandizing poo poo.

Fix the problem. Move on. Wait for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hm...

Makes you wonder if this has ANYthing to do with the constitutional right to bear assault rifles, i cant tell.
I mean, clearly, topping some of the most barbaric countries i can name by a looooooooooongshot is purely a coincidence, you should totally continue hoarding war-grade armament in case the british attack.

The second amendment had little to do with invading Brits and everything to do with making sure slaves and poors didn't get uppity. The "well regulated [militias]" were slave patrols. I'm sure quite a large percentage of gun lovers in the US would love their guns even more if the average American was aware of this.