Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

So far I think 12 might be my favorite single-player FF game, but consider I've only played 13 and 15 previously.

I liked 13 and 15 well enough but I’m also pretty comfortable saying they’re probably among the worst FF single player games

FF7 Remake is action RPGish and modern, if you can stand ps2 game remakes like FF12 FFX is also definitely worth playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked 13 and 15 well enough but I’m also pretty comfortable saying they’re probably among the worst FF single player games

FF7 Remake is action RPGish and modern, if you can stand ps2 game remakes like FF12 FFX is also definitely worth playing
Yeah I liked 13 and 15 but 12 is better imo. 13 took quite a while to get good but when it did finally get good it loving slapped, and 15 vacillated between "Not bad" and "Good". X/X-2 HD Remaster is happening but I'm gonna do the rest of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series first. I bought 7R on Steam today (and SoP on EGS) but they're gonna be much later.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Ayyyy I'm in Fanow but not Fanow and there's no LAHEE

They rip a bunch of FF12/FFTA names in XIV for Viera stuff, it's cool. Some tribes of XIV Viera are from Golmore in Othard, and a lot of the auto-generate surnames for female Viera are stuff like Eruyt, Camoa, Muscadet, etc.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like going through Final Fantasy games backwards like that. Like in so many ways, each iteration felt like a development on past games. The grittiness of 6 leads straight into the peak-90s grunge of 7. The cool, modern take of 7, its tragic romance subplot, and cool rival swordsman lead directly into 8. The teen romance angle of 8, along with feeling like the modern aesthetics were stifling, leads into 9. The emphasis on a female summoner deuteragonist and even more emphasis on teen romance leads to 10. 12 felt like a hard veer away from teen drama to a more understated and detached political story, using FFT and FF11 as some inspiration points, but it didn't quite stick the landing or was reaching further than it could grasp. Then 13 felt like it massively oversteered back toward story-driven character drama, to the point that it was incredibly linear and full of long cutscenes and amazing graphics and stylish character designs, but the storytelling was kind of overwhelming, incomprehensible, and insane. And 15 was a weird mess of a game with some charming redeeming qualities, very much the results of the karma of the weird FF13 fabula nova project.

Like I think 12, 13, and 15 are very much flawed games (flawed gems if you're generous; I think 12 and to some degree 15 are gems at least). But FF4-FF10 are all really solid games, ranging from very good to masterful.

Chillgamesh posted:

They rip a bunch of FF12/FFTA names in XIV for Viera stuff, it's cool. Some tribes of XIV Viera are from Golmore in Othard, and a lot of the auto-generate surnames for female Viera are stuff like Eruyt, Camoa, Muscadet, etc.

I was so happy when I saw Clan Nutsy come up in Shadowbringers :allears: It's just one of those combinations of two words that is so unlikely it never leaves you

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
God damnit you all are going to make me pick my Zodiac Age game back up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly the only reason I'm going backward is cuz 15 requires 100GB of hard drive space so I wanted to play it and get it out of the way since I have tons of poo poo on my computer and I don't feel like going through it to free up space. So since I started with 15, I figured "Let's go backward" :shrug:

Since I liked 13 more than 15 and 12 more than 13, logic and pattern dictate that FF1 is the absolute best. We'll see if that theory holds (I am positive it won't).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FrostyPox posted:

Honestly the only reason I'm going backward is cuz 15 requires 100GB of hard drive space so I wanted to play it and get it out of the way since I have tons of poo poo on my computer and I don't feel like going through it to free up space. So since I started with 15, I figured "Let's go backward" :shrug:

Since I liked 13 more than 15 and 12 more than 13, logic and pattern dictate that FF1 is the absolute best. We'll see if that theory holds (I am positive it won't).

X is the best out of the voice acted ones so it'll go to at least there.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpvEk4Epi0

The Salikawood is one of my favorite XII areas and musical themes. I kinda hope XIV spends some more time in Viera/Hrothgar territory in the future, just for the off chance the Salikawood gets included

iirc, the last of the Stormblood alliance raids takes place in Golmore Jungle, so it's not totally impossible :shrug:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ivalice does canonically exist on Hydaelyn so it very well could. I would also like to see more of Ilsabard and the areas around Garlemald. And all the things mentioned at the end of Endwalker. And the other extant Reflections.

Really, give me loving everything in the FFXIV universe. Inject it into my veins.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One thing I love is that for the most part all the references and nods in XIV have their own history within Eorzea it's not just "hey remember this place from XII?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The FFXIV world has its own version of Ivalice (like it has its own version of Doma, a reference to FFVI) but it's definitely not the same Ivalice. They're pretty different when you actually compare the geography and history, not to mention FFXIV's Ivalice slams together places and plots from FFXII and FF Tactics all together. It's really well done, they did a great job making something that closely resembles FFXII/FFT arise naturally out of FFXIV's in-universe history.

It'd be pretty great to get an FFXIV version of the Salikawood, though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

One thing I love is that for the most part all the references and nods in XIV have their own history within Eorzea it's not just "hey remember this place from XII?"

Yeah, as someone who hadn't played any FF games prior to FFXIV, I never once felt like "What the gently caress, where did that come from and why is it here?". They manage to incorporate everything in a way that makes the reference feel like a natural part of XIV. I don't know what Eden and the Void Ark are from, and I didn't know Kefka and Exdeath were from earlier games, but when all those things popped up in FFXIV I was like "Oh cool, this is badass and it all makes sense". I loved the Ivalice raids and I didn't know a goddamned thing about FFT or FFXII at the time.

EDIT: Even the Neir raids don't seem out of place.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, FFXIV has a metric shitload of references but with like 1 exception (Omega's recreations) they're all integrated naturally into the world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, FFXIV has a metric shitload of references but with like 1 exception (Omega's recreations) they're all integrated naturally into the world.

Even those are too. The ff5 stuff is pulled from an old fairy tale in universe and the 6 references are pulled from a stage play because Omega doesn't really have Creativity so he finds some stories about Heroes doing Heroic Things to get a better read on why you can do bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Even those are too. The ff5 stuff is pulled from an old fairy tale in universe and the 6 references are pulled from a stage play because Omega doesn't really have Creativity so he finds some stories about Heroes doing Heroic Things to get a better read on why you can do bullshit.

Oh I know, but in those cases they're both like "here is the exact enemy from FF5/6 in the exact location you fight them in the game and even sprites directly from FF6 in one case" as opposed to them being actual places in the world. I don't mind it at all but it's more of a thin justification than something naturally integrated.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It's still good because the writers poke fun at the idea through Nero
"From what I have been able to gather, your opponent is, and I quote, “a great tree born of an agglomeration of evil will, which assumes the form of a dark mage.” All of which I suggest you ignore."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I asked this just before the FF7R stuff got announced so it got buried, so asking again, hope thats okay.

Zil posted:

Is there a mod that makes the controls for XII on PC not, well, crap? That is the only that has been preventing me from getting into it.

I really want to enjoy the game, but something about the controls just don't click with me, not sure why.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I kinda really want to see FFXIV fully embrace FFTA and FFTA-2 for a bit. The childlike wonder and whimsy of those games' aesthetics is really great.

A full Alliance Raid questline devoted to FF13 would be wild, too.

/say meow meow chocochow

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm finding the PC controls for XII to be just fine. :shrug:

My XBox controller didn't work at all with it, and I don't know why. I'd probably prefer to use the controller if it worked.

EDIT: I would like to fight Orphan in FFXIV

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want them to fix the Drakengard setting through FF14 tbh

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Gologle posted:

I want them to fix the Drakengard setting through FF14 tbh

The only "fixing" that world needs is cleansing Dragonfire. Literal scorched earth.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Need to grind a bit more to beat Tiamat but Larsa parried her fire breath three times like an absolute gigachad

EDIT: actually probably don't need to grind, need to spend all these LP, whoops!

EDIT: or I could stop being a dum dum and summon Belias, that works.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 19, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching stranger of paradise’s credits

god help us, My Way really was a perfect fit for this game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/477952/mobius-final-fantasy-artbook-first-anniversary-collections-import-book

I didn't know this existed until five minutes ago.

I now own said book.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, as someone who hadn't played any FF games prior to FFXIV, I never once felt like "What the gently caress, where did that come from and why is it here?". They manage to incorporate everything in a way that makes the reference feel like a natural part of XIV. I don't know what Eden and the Void Ark are from, and I didn't know Kefka and Exdeath were from earlier games, but when all those things popped up in FFXIV I was like "Oh cool, this is badass and it all makes sense". I loved the Ivalice raids and I didn't know a goddamned thing about FFT or FFXII at the time.

EDIT: Even the Neir raids don't seem out of place.

Eden is from FF8 and I think the Void Ark is wholly original although the Sky Pirates resemble some stuff from both X and XII, also Cait Sith is a character in 7 (the 14 version is WILDLY different tho)

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 19, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

strange of paradise is GOTY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In a year where American Theft 80's came out? Don't think so

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Eden is from FF8 and I think the Void Ark is wholly original although the Sky Pirates resemble some stuff from both X and XII, also Cait Sith is a character in 7 (the 14 version is WILDLY different tho)

They use Cait Sith's 11 design.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The closest thing to a previous reference I could find with the Void Ark is that it might be based on a 'Death Airship' designed for FFV. It's hard to say for certain since we never get a full look at the Void Ark, but they seem to carry more resemblance than just the general vibe. At the very least they've both got what I can best describe as 'ribcage hull'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 19, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

strange of paradise is GOTY

Steam release of FF7R, FF6PR

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cephas posted:

I kinda really want to see FFXIV fully embrace FFTA and FFTA-2 for a bit. The childlike wonder and whimsy of those games' aesthetics is really great.

A full Alliance Raid questline devoted to FF13 would be wild, too.

/say meow meow chocochow

FFTA2 themed raid where one of the bosses is just a Trickster spamming Ultima and a Red Mage spamming summons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
SoP is the second-best FF game released this year, after Crystal Project.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SoP absolutely nailed everything but the janky rear end models with a bajillion polygons or whatever per strand of hair.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mustached Demon posted:

SoP absolutely nailed everything but the janky rear end models with a bajillion polygons or whatever per strand of hair.

I dont understand what went wrong with this because Nioh and 2 were amazing even on base consoles. 60 fps, short load times and it's not like they were bad looking games because art style did a lot of the heavy lifting

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mustached Demon posted:

That’s the most final fantasy part of the game actually. Some powerful “over-designed rocks from FFXV” energy

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont understand what went wrong with this because Nioh and 2 were amazing even on base consoles. 60 fps, short load times and it's not like they were bad looking games because art style did a lot of the heavy lifting

With Chinese Nioh being scheduled for next year I imagine Team Ninja didn't have that much time or manpower for this game.

Just finished SoP yesterday and liked everything except for the garbage loot system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WaltherFeng posted:

jokes posted:

That’s the most final fantasy part of the game actually. Some powerful “over-designed rocks from FFXV” energy

Yeah, I'm thinking that wasn't a problem with the Team Ninja side of things. Say what you will about Koei-Tecmo, they can make an action game that runs smooth as butter. So the fact that they didn't makes me think the people responsible for over-detailed models were probably the ones in the room that have committed exactly that mistake before.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoa rogue post was here

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 19, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I wanna play SOP but I also feel like it’s definitely the type of game that ends up either on gamepass or $10 in a sale and I have so much stuff to finish in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

KonvexKonkav posted:

Just finished SoP yesterday and liked everything except for the garbage loot system.

The game is so good except for the loot, which is just unbelievably bad. I like Diablo-likes, so I have a high tolerance for explosions of trash items dropping all the time with dozens of seemingly meaningless affixes, but SoP’s loot system is simply awful even for diablo-like loot. It’s kind of amazing how bad it is.