Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How are u posted:

It's like how American Red states couldn't help themselves after the upcoming Supreme Court abortion leaked. Falling all over themselves to pass horrendous laws criminalizing miscarriages, death penalty for doctors, gather personal info on pregnancies and publishing it, the works. The moment they felt they had the ability, they loving went all out. So it goes with authoritarian nightmare people and regimes.

Yes we know amerikkka bad blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Marcade posted:

Chinese army defeated by a longshoremen strike.

chinese army accidentally sent to australia after manifest mix-up

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Oh no, who ever could have predicted this

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emilybakerwhite/tiktok-tapes-us-user-data-china-bytedance-access

Buzzfeed posted:

For years, TikTok has responded to data privacy concerns by promising that information gathered about users in the United States is stored in the United States, rather than China, where ByteDance, the video platform's parent company, is located. But according to leaked audio from more than 80 internal TikTok meetings, China-based employees of ByteDance have repeatedly accessed nonpublic data about US TikTok users — exactly the type of behavior that inspired former president Donald Trump to threaten to ban the app in the United States.

The recordings, which were reviewed by BuzzFeed News, contain 14 statements from nine different TikTok employees indicating that engineers in China had access to US data between September 2021 and January 2022, at the very least. Despite a TikTok executive’s sworn testimony in an October 2021 Senate hearing that a “world-renowned, US-based security team” decides who gets access to this data, nine statements by eight different employees describe situations where US employees had to turn to their colleagues in China to determine how US user data was flowing. US staff did not have permission or knowledge of how to access the data on their own, according to the tapes.

“Everything is seen in China,” said a member of TikTok’s Trust and Safety department in a September 2021 meeting. In another September meeting, a director referred to one Beijing-based engineer as a “Master Admin” who “has access to everything.” (While many employees introduced themselves by name and title in the recordings, BuzzFeed News is not naming anyone to protect their privacy.)

The recordings range from small-group meetings with company leaders and consultants to policy all-hands presentations and are corroborated by screenshots and other documents, providing a vast amount of evidence to corroborate prior reports of China-based employees accessing US user data. Their contents show that data was accessed far more frequently and recently than previously reported, painting a rich picture of the challenges the world’s most popular social media app has faced in attempting to disentangle its US operations from those of its parent company in Beijing. Ultimately, the tapes suggest that the company may have misled lawmakers, its users, and the public by downplaying that data stored in the US could still be accessed by employees in China.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No way! They swore though!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Let's actually ban it this time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Let's actually ban it this time

lol that ship has long sailed

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

sticksy posted:

Oh no, who ever could have predicted this

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emilybakerwhite/tiktok-tapes-us-user-data-china-bytedance-access

quote:

“Everything is seen in China,” said a member of TikTok’s Trust and Safety department in a September 2021 meeting. In another September meeting, a director referred to one Beijing-based engineer as a “Master Admin” who “has access to everything.”

all he wanted was to slide into dms of post 2000s beauties

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's already seen everything. He's seen it all.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Grand Fromage posted:

He's already seen everything. He's seen it all.

The Chinese see everything. All your things, seen. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even the PRC leaving me on seen, smh

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gaius Marius posted:

Even the PRC leaving me on seen, smh

They wanna put you in camps, not their fault your first thought was gooncamps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
America would willingly use genital verification to get access to tik tok

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
as a HKer it is sad that I have to say this, we gently caress'in told you so.

delete it ban it do whatever you need to, just remove it

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Alan Smithee posted:

America would willingly use genital verification to get access to tik tok

My phone's zoom isn't enough.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
It's not 520 by date

but, happy page 520 to the goons' souls that desire freedom

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Page 250 was more my speed.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pfft I can't believe the closet racism in the idea that the CCP would want to access people's data maybe you have a lil sinophobia problem there buddy

Oh well did you know the NSA spies on people too, who is even to say what is right and wrong!!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big tech spies on people all the time so really it’s NBD.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
As I am not Big Tech, I cannot comment.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Xi Dada got my dick pics on Weixin, and Xi got my genetic info:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/22/us/politics/china-genetic-data-collection.html

quote:

Citing a Reuters report, Mr. You said a Chinese company, BGI, had developed a neonatal genetic test with the Chinese military that had enabled it to collect information from millions of people around the world. The firm gained a foothold in the United States in 2013, when it purchased an American genomics firm.

BGI now has contracts and partnerships with health institutions across the United States, intelligence officials said. The company provides cheap genomic sequencing and gets access to genomic data. Last year, the Commerce Department penalized some of the company’s subsidiaries for providing genetic analysis that was used in Beijing’s campaign against the Uyghurs.

Mr. You said as a result the genetic data of some Americans could be “transferred to the Chinese government.”

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/24/969532277/china-wants-your-data-and-may-already-have-it

quote:

The U.S. and China both spy aggressively on each other. In recent years, one striking feature of this rivalry is China's pursuit of personal data on Americans.

Since 2014, China's been blamed for a series of huge data thefts. They include individual records taken from the credit agency Equifax (145 million records), the hotel chain Marriott (400 million), the health insurer Anthem (78 million), and the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (21 million), which stores sensitive files on government workers, including fingerprints and information on security clearances.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

lmao

Makes me wonder what they're going to do with all that data.

"According to Equifax Data on grocery and restaurant purchases, Forums Poster Zarin is an unusually large specimen. An absolute unit. Just a sizeable lad."

"Oh. What does that mean?"

*both researchers turn and shrug at each other*

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atopian posted:

Page 250 was more my speed.

same

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Zarin posted:

lmao

Makes me wonder what they're going to do with all that data.

"According to Equifax Data on grocery and restaurant purchases, Forums Poster Zarin is an unusually large specimen. An absolute unit. Just a sizeable lad."

"Oh. What does that mean?"

*both researchers turn and shrug at each other*

It was speculated in the NPR article, but the options are endless.

quote:

"It gives them tremendous access into who we are," said retired Army Gen. Keith Alexander, who led the National Security Agency under President Barack Obama.

The files from the Office of Personnel Management would help China identify U.S. intelligence officers.

Credit information from Equifax could flag people who have money problems and might be susceptible to spying for China in exchange for financial help.

Alexander said China could cross-reference the data to send a highly personalized phishing email to a person in a key U.S. tech industry that China hopes to exploit.

"So it says in a email that China sends to a specific individual, 'You have Type 2 diabetes. Here's a new Type 2 diabetes solution. Click here,'" said Alexander, who is now the president of the private firm IronNet Cybersecurity.

After gaining access to that person's email account, hackers could look for sensitive personal or company information.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
We also get to look down the line at future tech. We don't know what will be possible in 20 years, but a huge number of the same people will be in the workforce.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zakrello posted:

as a HKer it is sad that I have to say this, we gently caress'in told you so.

delete it ban it do whatever you need to, just remove it

Technologic

Technologic

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PITY BONER posted:

It was speculated in the NPR article, but the options are endless.

lmao

We could just solve that problem by making that not an issue, but . . .

lol

lmao

Nah, we'll just make it the fault of anyone who clicks the link, gently caress 'em.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I'd been a little skeptical of claims of an exodus of people from Hong Kong, but I think my tune just changed. Not many people I personally know have left, rent sure as hell hasn't fallen, and though I hear about departures, it's never 'felt' like more than the usual turnover of expats, etc. But I just flew to Singapore, and it was a shocking experience. The flight was full, and it seemed like almost everyone was a family relocating permanently -- people crying, sharing stories, maximum luggage, domestic workers migrating with them. And it was not just a bunch of white expats. I asked some local Singaporean colleagues about it, and they said rent has skyrocketed because of all the arrivals and that the government is now considering tighter rules on employment passes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Technologic

Technologic

:3

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Smeef posted:

I'd been a little skeptical of claims of an exodus of people from Hong Kong, but I think my tune just changed. Not many people I personally know have left, rent sure as hell hasn't fallen, and though I hear about departures, it's never 'felt' like more than the usual turnover of expats, etc. But I just flew to Singapore, and it was a shocking experience. The flight was full, and it seemed like almost everyone was a family relocating permanently -- people crying, sharing stories, maximum luggage, domestic workers migrating with them. And it was not just a bunch of white expats. I asked some local Singaporean colleagues about it, and they said rent has skyrocketed because of all the arrivals and that the government is now considering tighter rules on employment passes.

Mainland is certainly getting a lot emptier of foreigners.
I'll be curious to see numbers next month.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Atopian posted:

Do they publish those stats or something?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Atopian posted:

I don’t think it’s just foreigners leaving HK, though. I’m not sure how easy it is to emigrate with a HK passport or BNO, but in hindsight all the articles downplaying that emigration seems suspicious to me. Plus I’m regularly surprised by Chinese acquaintances who somehow have 1+ non-PRC passports through bizarre means.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Zarin posted:

Do they publish those stats or something?

Generally not, but several expat-oriented organisations and news sources publish their own.
Obviously limited and unreliable, but potentially good for comparing relative numbers over time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I love this thread and all its posters

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

Pfft I can't believe the closet racism in the idea that the CCP would want to access people's data maybe you have a lil sinophobia problem there buddy

Oh well did you know the NSA spies on people too, who is even to say what is right and wrong!!!!
You joke, but that's literally where the foreign ministry is at now:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thehouse/otoole-china-interference-claims-1.6493606

quote:

The Chinese embassy in Ottawa did not respond to a request for comment. Asked in December about its activities in relation to Huawei, ambassador Cong Peiwu denied China engaged in espionage.

"China, we don't do this kind of thing, you know, spying, or electronic monitoring. It is the United States that have been doing these kinds of things over the past decades," he said.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Tory candidate in my riding in Vancouver got smoked by both the Liberal and NDP candidate, and not because of voter interference.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Smeef posted:

I don’t think it’s just foreigners leaving HK, though. I’m not sure how easy it is to emigrate with a HK passport or BNO, but in hindsight all the articles downplaying that emigration seems suspicious to me. Plus I’m regularly surprised by Chinese acquaintances who somehow have 1+ non-PRC passports through bizarre means.

Since the new BNO started in 2021, the UK government has given out 110,000 visa to HK residents to move to the UK, so it's a noticeable chunk of people. And that's with the process to get it being fairly bureaucratic and expensive.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Atopian posted:

Generally not, but several expat-oriented organisations and news sources publish their own.
Obviously limited and unreliable, but potentially good for comparing relative numbers over time.

Yeah, one of the Expat - focused Wechat Feeds posted a poll that stated that 40 - 60% of foreigners in Shanghai were planning to leave this coming year.

Obviously, not very rigorous or reliable, but a start.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Smeef posted:

On the BNO, not that easy but comparatively not that hard either. You do need to pony up a NHS surcharge to cover use of the NHS while you're in the UK (£3,120 for a single adult staying for five years) and you do need to show ability to support yourself for six months, while the process of actually filling out the forms is teeth-grindingly bureaucratic. However, having helped fill in a US immigration application as well the BNO visa application process is lightyears more streamlined and simplified and the response rate is far, far faster - if applying on the BNO visa the main thing slowing you down is the logistics of pulling up roots and settling down in the UK, not the visa application itself. The big caveat is the NHS surcharge and the need to demonstrate ability to support - if you can afford that it's a relatively streamlined immigration process, but that's kind of a load-bearing if.

(Granted comparing all this to US immigration procedures isn't exactly setting the bar high but still)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a few pages late to the violence against women discussion, but it wasn't uncommon for me to see parents hitting their children or men slapping women/women slapping men at the restaurants I used to go to in Tianjin. Like someone noted, though, a lot of this was domestic and there were preexisting relationships present. The worst thing I ever saw, which I don't know if I ever posted about, was one night after I finished hosting karaoke night at the local expat bar. I was walking home, I live just down the street, and right when I got outside, like half a block down, there was a group of like 8-10 people (mainly olds) watching two guys screaming at two girls. Both girls were sitting down, and one of the guys was consistently wailing on one of the girls. I mean he was punching her face, uppercuts, kicking her in the face, screaming at her. It was like 12:15am, and it was bizarre to see this on such an otherwise quiet street. As I passed, I didn't know if I should do anything, and the guy that was wailing on the girl noticed me and started shouting at me. Calling me a foreign motherfucker, white devil, etc etc. I yelled back to him "What's your problem" and he started sprinting at me. His friend ran toward me as well, though in retrospect he was just trying to restrain his friend, and the first guy ran right up to me and took a swing at me, which I ducked. He then kicked me in the ribs. His friend grabbed him after that and yelled at me "GET OUT OF HERE". I told him they were loving crazy and his friend tried to break away and kick me again. That's when I turned around and started walking away rather quickly. About 20 seconds later, I turned around and the friend was chasing the guy, who had broken free and was running at me again, so I ran down the street.

Ran into a police officer about a block down and told him what happened and he said "Why'd you get involved" and I said "I didn't, I'm just walking home" and his response was "Eh, none of my business" while smoking a cigarette.

The most bizarre thing about the entire scenario was all the old people just kind of watching this young woman get the poo poo beaten out of her on the side of the road. It didn't feel real.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Great Autismo! posted:

I'm a few pages late to the violence against women discussion, but it wasn't uncommon for me to see parents hitting their children or men slapping women/women slapping men at the restaurants I used to go to in Tianjin. Like someone noted, though, a lot of this was domestic and there were preexisting relationships present. The worst thing I ever saw, which I don't know if I ever posted about, was one night after I finished hosting karaoke night at the local expat bar. I was walking home, I live just down the street, and right when I got outside, like half a block down, there was a group of like 8-10 people (mainly olds) watching two guys screaming at two girls. Both girls were sitting down, and one of the guys was consistently wailing on one of the girls. I mean he was punching her face, uppercuts, kicking her in the face, screaming at her. It was like 12:15am, and it was bizarre to see this on such an otherwise quiet street. As I passed, I didn't know if I should do anything, and the guy that was wailing on the girl noticed me and started shouting at me. Calling me a foreign motherfucker, white devil, etc etc. I yelled back to him "What's your problem" and he started sprinting at me. His friend ran toward me as well, though in retrospect he was just trying to restrain his friend, and the first guy ran right up to me and took a swing at me, which I ducked. He then kicked me in the ribs. His friend grabbed him after that and yelled at me "GET OUT OF HERE". I told him they were loving crazy and his friend tried to break away and kick me again. That's when I turned around and started walking away rather quickly. About 20 seconds later, I turned around and the friend was chasing the guy, who had broken free and was running at me again, so I ran down the street.

Ran into a police officer about a block down and told him what happened and he said "Why'd you get involved" and I said "I didn't, I'm just walking home" and his response was "Eh, none of my business" while smoking a cigarette.

The most bizarre thing about the entire scenario was all the old people just kind of watching this young women get the poo poo beaten out of her on the side of the road. It didn't feel real.

:stare: to all of it