Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, combined with the fact that apparently 33% of medical scheduling sites in the US send the reason, date, and person for every medical appointment to Meta, imma bout ready to move to a cabin in the woods and abandon all technology.

Except for my Leaf, which doesn't send anything to anyone.

and even when your data is anonymized, there are brokerage firms who specialize in stacking + cross-referencing dozens of individual web/physical/sales trackers to essentially build an identifying profile of who you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

knox_harrington posted:

You have surprisingly nice hands

Bird should consider a career as a hand model

Ok Comboomer posted:

well get ready, because a lot of cars do it now, and not just EVs. Pretty much any car with a cellular connection can, and often does, send some amount of monetarily valuable data back to a manufacturer. What exactly is sent back and what is done with it depends on the company.
Easy solution

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

PenisMonkey posted:

Can confirm that Buc-ee’s is huge. Hooray for early morning road trips. Also first V3 supercharger I’ve ever used.

Poor doggo got ptsd just from being there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PenisMonkey posted:

Can confirm that Buc-ee’s is huge. Hooray for early morning road trips. Also first V3 supercharger I’ve ever used.

Your dog has the same reaction to Buc-ee’s that I do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Roadie posted:

I really wish there was an EV6 at like, 0.9x scale. It's an appealing car but it's just a little too big for my usual garage parking spots.

Apart from the body shape, this is sort-of-kind-of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ec7qEhthA

A better fit will be whatever new comes down the e-GMP pipeline in the coming years.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

PenisMonkey posted:

I'm concerned about you breaking the sound barrier in the Buc-ees parking lot.

Please try to slow down so you don't give everyone hearing damage.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PPF / Ceramic Coat installed :woop:

How long did it take for the shop to get all this done + curing? I'm interested in getting it done when I get my mach-e but also don't really want to have to park it in the garage for 2 weeks and worry about additional maintenance forever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PPF application they usually like to keep it 24 hours from my experience. Then just don't wash for like a week. And when you pressure wash try and avoid blasting it straight at a PPF edge

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lightning vs Rivian vs F-150 Hybrid vs TRX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdj_9sGFPM

Lightning beats both the hybrid and TRX. Rivian beats the Lightning. TRX has the top speed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

How long did it take for the shop to get all this done + curing? I'm interested in getting it done when I get my mach-e but also don't really want to have to park it in the garage for 2 weeks and worry about additional maintenance forever.

2 1/2 days for the PPF then another day or two on the coating. I had a backup car so I dropped mine off on Monday morning and had it dropped off Friday morning even though I could have possibly do Thursday evening.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Saw my first Rivian in the wild today in florida. Guy said he waited 3 years for it and just picked it up a few weeks ago, still had the temp tags on it. His first EV coming from a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and he said the Rivian is just stupid fast and drives like a go cart, he had the Launch edition model so I'm assuming the quad motor is the reason for that. Took a walk around it and checked out the inside and wow it's a nice looking truck. Was very impressed with it and hopefully Rivian can start getting more trucks out there quicker.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

and even when your data is anonymized, there are brokerage firms who specialize in stacking + cross-referencing dozens of individual web/physical/sales trackers to essentially build an identifying profile of who you are

This one creeps me out, my work revolves around something that could be viewed as a serious liability against me, however, this thing is not reflective of my situation at all. However, I get highly targeted ads all the time directed at someone in that situation. I'm almost certain there are database(s) that say I am someone in that situation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I also saw a Rivian for the first time today

The headlights are goofy but it's a nice looking truck overall

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PenisMonkey posted:

When did Buc-ees’s start installing EV chargers? Which one is this? Would love to be able to charge in Baytown if I ever get an EV.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mattfl posted:

Saw my first Rivian in the wild today in florida. Guy said he waited 3 years for it and just picked it up a few weeks ago, still had the temp tags on it. His first EV coming from a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and he said the Rivian is just stupid fast and drives like a go cart, he had the Launch edition model so I'm assuming the quad motor is the reason for that. Took a walk around it and checked out the inside and wow it's a nice looking truck. Was very impressed with it and hopefully Rivian can start getting more trucks out there quicker.

You don't need the Launch Edition to get the quad motor. :)

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

An absolute madman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRtqBTkPVY
And he's running it solo and stock.

Thanks for posting this. Etron doesn’t get a lot of attention in these forums and I have one coming on Friday! Will post pics and moan about range in the coming weeks. I do have a frunk it seems too!!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Absolute Zeroes posted:

Thanks for posting this. Etron doesn’t get a lot of attention in these forums and I have one coming on Friday! Will post pics and moan about range in the coming weeks. I do have a frunk it seems too!!

I've had one for a year, it's awesome.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

You don't need the Launch Edition to get the quad motor. :)

Oh my bad, I looked at their website real quick and only saw that offered on the launch, I didn't go into optioning one out if you could upgrade one of the lower models.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Silly Burrito posted:

When did Buc-ees’s start installing EV chargers? Which one is this? Would love to be able to charge in Baytown if I ever get an EV.

This is in Leeds, Alabama.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PenisMonkey posted:

This is in Leeds, Alabama.

Nice. I hope they all install them. Buc-ee’s is the perfect place to charge up since you normally spend 30-60 minutes in there anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

This one creeps me out, my work revolves around something that could be viewed as a serious liability against me, however, this thing is not reflective of my situation at all. However, I get highly targeted ads all the time directed at someone in that situation. I'm almost certain there are database(s) that say I am someone in that situation.

Are you a professional assassin

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

bird with big dick posted:

Are you a professional assassin

Amazon suggestions:
- piano wire
- black pajamas
- lime

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I used a non-free ChargePoint station for the first time, was only $1/h for 7kw, so reasonably priced. ChargePoint said the first time I charge it will add $10 to my account, which sounded fine. I used $5.38 of that though, putting my balance under $5, so they took another $10. If I wanted to pay 4 times the electricity cost I could have just used another supercharger. Now those ChargePoint fat cats will be feasting on the interest from my $14.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This just reminded me that I almost certainly have like 12 dollars on both my EA and Chargepoint accounts that I'll never use. Thieving bastards.

e: 18.18 on CP and 12.88 on EA. Bird gonna use the money and splurge on a cactus blossom at Texas Roadhouse tonight

VVV I logged in and with EA at least it looks like you can just delete your account and they said they'd refund my money. CP it seems like maybe you actually have to send them an email.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 19, 2022

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

This just reminded me that I almost certainly have like 12 dollars on both my EA and Chargepoint accounts that I'll never use. Thieving bastards.

Email EA about it, they had me close my account and I got my money back

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Absolute Zeroes posted:

TwoDice posted:

Apparently, this is what happens when you give one to a rally driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYsVwWpJ3I
They probably shouldn't have left the trailer attachment on, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The e-tron was a screaming deal when they had those incentives that were allowing people to get leases in the $400 a month range. I tried to get one at the time but I was kind of late to the party and they'd basically all been snatched up already.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Three Olives posted:

You manage a methadone clinic

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Accountant for a sex trafficking ring.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

The e-tron was a screaming deal when they had those incentives that were allowing people to get leases in the $400 a month range. I tried to get one at the time but I was kind of late to the party and they'd basically all been snatched up already.

That’s kind of what we had on the table in Germany. Was a ridiculously good deal which I kind of ruined by upspeccing it with ALL the toys. 🙃. But a great offer was taken the nonetheless. Took 7 months from order to arrival with all toys still intact. Audi have their supply chain poo poo together thankfully.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One week Mach vs 3 comparison.

Ford's door buttons/levers are still better.

PAAK works way better on the Tesla. By now I would have had at least three episodes where I stand there pushing the open button on the Ford over and over for 10 seconds and maybe one instance of having to force quit the app and restart (probably not though I think that was more like a monthly thing than a weekly thing).

I miss Ford's 360 view for making sure I'm perfectly centered in parking spaces but other than that losing it isn't a big deal.

I like Tesla's mirrors turning down when you're in reverse, makes backing into my garage easier and makes it easier to not curb a wheel. This is maybe something that could be enabled in Forscan on the Ford but pretty sure it wasn't something you could turn on via menu. Ford's 360 view is kind of an alternative to this but it's not as good for those two tasks IMO.

Ford has the light on the mirror for blind spot monitoring. Tesla pops up the camera on that side when you hit a turn signal, plus the traffic visualization on the screen seems like it does a good job of identifying cars in your blind spots but I haven't really tested it a lot. Not really sure which of these I prefer. They both get the job done.

No cross traffic alert on the Tesla but the cameras are really good and tbh I don't think cross traffic alert ever really did poo poo for me with the Ford, it was always either a situation where the car wasn't actually in the lane I was backing into, or a "no poo poo, I know a car is there, duh" situation.

The M3P is loving fast. Like, really loving fast. And, obviously, not just 0-60.

The Tesla's auto garage door open when you pull into your driveway is neat but let my cat escape out of the garage.

The 3 is more comfortable for me both getting in and out and sitting in the car, but this may not translate to anyone other than people with my exact body proportions and broken neck situation. Because of this I really feel like the Ford's CUV layout really didn't benefit me much. I don't even think it really has more useable cargo space either, despite it looking like it does on paper. Ford was a little better for manspreading and the higher seating position means less stress on grandma's knees but, for me, that's about it really.

I'm currently at 306 wh/mi. I think my Ford lifetime was about 380 which I think is actually a little better than EPA rating.

The Ford has better interior materials and design with the exception of the steering wheel. The steering wheel in the Ford really felt cheap imo, just rubbery and plasticky. Like it belonged in a base Fiesta not a $70,000 car. The Tesla's is better though still not great. The wood dash trim in the Tesla has grown on me, I was planning on replacing it previously but now I probably won't bother.

Infotainment is way more responsive. I miss Carplay a little but it's not a huge deal for me.

Handling is kind of 6 of one half dozen of the other. I feel like Ford really did a great job tuning the magneride suspension (only comes with the GTPE) but it also can't overcome the physics of it being taller and weighing 800 pounds more. I haven't done a ton of curvy roads in the Tesla yet though so my opinion may change.

So, my rankings so far:

Ford: Piece of poo poo.
Tesla: Slightly less piece of poo poo. For now.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The wood dash trim in the Tesla has grown on me, I was planning on replacing it previously but now I probably won't bother.

Ha, I was the same way. Had some replacements/wraps picked out and ready to buy but after taking delivery I realized I actually liked it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ev thread mk 3: Tesla made me lose my cat

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mattfl posted:

Oh my bad, I looked at their website real quick and only saw that offered on the launch, I didn't go into optioning one out if you could upgrade one of the lower models.

Launch edition was a limited run for pre-orders only and had some extra interior colors or stitching or whatever. Dual motor was only announced in March along with the standard size battery, I think to soften the blow of the price hikes. I wonder if anybody has done testing on the dual motor models? If I even had the money to consider a Rivian I'd probably just get the dual motor.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Launch edition was a limited run for pre-orders only and had some extra interior colors or stitching or whatever. Dual motor was only announced in March along with the standard size battery, I think to soften the blow of the price hikes. I wonder if anybody has done testing on the dual motor models? If I even had the money to consider a Rivian I'd probably just get the dual motor.

I’m pretty sure he had a launch edition, since he said he waited 3 years for it to be delivered.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mattfl posted:

I’m pretty sure he had a launch edition, since he said he waited 3 years for it to be delivered.

If I was doing the preorder thing I would have picked that :) They took it off the site now, can't see what extra options it had.
edit: Did find this:

quote:

Complete with special interior badging with an exclusive Launch Green color option, Launch Edition is equipped with our Large pack and premium Adventure Package. The EPA estimated range for the R1T is 314 miles and 316 miles for the R1S. With Launch Edition, you're also able to select upgraded wheels and tires at no additional cost.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TwoDice posted:

Any issues or anything with the etron? Do you only charge at home?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

I'm currently at 306 wh/mi. I think my Ford lifetime was about 380 which I think is actually a little better than EPA rating.

After 26,000 miles in my M3P I’m at a lifetime of 257 Wh/mi

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Double to post to add it’s a stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Any issues or anything with the etron? Do you only charge at home?

Only issue so far was some minor water intrusion via the moon roof (seal replaced, it's ok now). I charge it at home and it's been otherwise very reliable and comfortable.