Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Jedit posted:

It's dire, but it's not quite "Tavernkeep! Another 40 ounces of your finest malt liquor!"

... they're probably saving that for issue 2. :ohdear:

When Beta Ray Billy Dee steals Mjolnir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In a few years we’ll get to a point where sheltered comic book writers’ entire view of black people is based on Lil Nas X. The comics still won’t be good, but they will be different

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 19, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

It's dire, but it's not quite "Tavernkeep! Another 40 ounces of your finest malt liquor!"

... they're probably saving that for issue 2. :ohdear:

There's no issue 2. Or, rather, this is issue 4 of 5 with each one having Miles as a different hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"By Odin's Fade" keeps popping into my mind unbidden. It is just the most staggeringly unbelievably dumb thing to write.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Odin doesn’t even have a fade in the book, he’s bald.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joe Fisto posted:

Odin doesn’t even have a fade in the book, he’s bald.
I don't think the writer was being racist on purpose, but for gently caress's sake.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think it's just incredibly tone deaf and poorly written. Though to browse the conversation this has RUINED!!!!!! Miles as a character. People need to relax.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't the original quote "by Odin' beard"? Unless I'm completely and 100% unaware of some racial issues I believe black people can also grow beards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Isn't the original quote "by Odin' beard"? Unless I'm completely and 100% unaware of some racial issues I believe black people can also grow beards.

Guess what Odin in the book has.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Joe Fisto posted:

I think it's just incredibly tone deaf and poorly written. Though to browse the conversation this has RUINED!!!!!! Miles as a character. People need to relax.

Over reaction on the internet? This must be a first. I hope that one day the character of Miles Morales can be redeemed but they might need to let the character keep a low appearance for a decade or two

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm not gonna comment on the sensitivity of the writing since that's way out of my lane, but the "Asgard is in the ghetto" is a fat lot of loving bullshit. It's scifi architecture mixed with brooklyn and there's graffiti. book is bad though, I can't believe this and spider-gwen are both doing the same boring gimmick and the same time.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

True, true. What we know for sure is he's not a great writer and lacks cultural sensitvity. He may also be racist either outwardly or internally.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I kinda wish that this story was about Luke Cage getting Mjolnir and that it was published in 1974 but this being tyool 2022 I can't believe that dude wrote this and that an editor, presumably an adult human, saw it and saw fit to give it the go-ahead. I'm sure that nothing malicious was intended but god drat

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Hippo posted:

I kinda wish that this story was about Luke Cage getting Mjolnir and that it was published in 1974 but this being tyool 2022 I can't believe that dude wrote this and that an editor, presumably an adult human, saw it and saw fit to give it the go-ahead. I'm sure that nothing malicious was intended but god drat

I don't really know what editors at Marvel do anymore. Spell checks?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't imagine editorial oversight is particularly strict on a what if

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endless Mike posted:

There's no issue 2. Or, rather, this is issue 4 of 5 with each one having Miles as a different hero.

Were the other three along the same lines?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

I don't really know what editors at Marvel do anymore. Spell checks?

Keep Peter and MJ from getting married and being happy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bruceski posted:

Were the other three along the same lines?

Only in the sense that they're also about miles and his supporting cast awkwardly kludged into another superhero's origin story

they're all immensely forgettable. there's another one coming out next month.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Keep Peter and MJ from getting married and being happy.

That was the last guy, the one just pretends to be another race so he can break a bunch of rules/steal opportunities from poc writers

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Does this count?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Splint Chesthair posted:

Does this count?

:trumppop:

Holy poo poo it's real

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s actually somehow less racist so good for them

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s actually somehow less racist so good for them

Nah that wouldn't fly now either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

Nah that wouldn't fly now either.

It’s cheesy but that is dialogue ripped straight from a 70s explotation movies.

Like you could tell me that’s from Disco godfather and I’d believe it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is pretty low on the "terrible" scale, but apparently Leinel Yu is a Bitcoiner.

https://twitter.com/leinilyu/status/1538748042723004418?s=20&t=O7tDpsZOwXvpYgJfH3JQ1w

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Opopanax posted:

That was the last guy, the one just pretends to be another race so he can break a bunch of rules/steal opportunities from poc writers

That wasn't the last guy. Alex Alonso was the EiC from 2010 to 2017.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

This is pretty low on the "terrible" scale, but apparently Leinel Yu is a Bitcoiner.

https://twitter.com/leinilyu/status/1538748042723004418?s=20&t=O7tDpsZOwXvpYgJfH3JQ1w

God dammit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Happy Hippo posted:

:trumppop:

Holy poo poo it's real

It's from What If? issue #34 which is a bunch of short absurdist jokes like what if Odin was Peter Parker's Uncle? or What if Ghost Rider inhabited an old dude in a wheelchair interspersed with pages with those 1 panels like:

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
So how were the other Miles Morales what if’s? Also that writer is a total dick and is missing the point of the whole character and his creation if his excuse a white guy made him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not good

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

A TWENTY-ONE-HOUR lecture on Bitcoin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Splint Chesthair posted:

A TWENTY-ONE-HOUR lecture on Bitcoin.

Have you ever tried to get a crypto bro to shut up once he starts talking?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jedit posted:

Have you ever tried to get a crypto bro to shut up once he starts talking?

Yes it loving sucks, we were playing PUBG and he would not shut the gently caress up the entire match.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jiro posted:

Yes it loving sucks, we were playing PUBG and he would not shut the gently caress up the entire match.

Please tell me you joint muted him and left him babbling into the ether.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

King Baby posted:

So how were the other Miles Morales what if’s? Also that writer is a total dick and is missing the point of the whole character and his creation if his excuse a white guy made him.

lol really? The tweets are all deleted but that's amazing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Brian Michael Bendis created Miles Morales because his two adopted kids are black and he recognized the importance of having a Spider-man for them to identify closer to. I haven’t read the first year of the books since they were published but they were good as I recall, and the animated film was EXCELLENT, easily one of the best hero origin films period

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Samovar posted:

Please tell me you joint muted him and left him babbling into the ether.

Unfortunately not since we were all in the same discord channel. When we finally got decimated, 3 of us were just like GODDAMNIT WE COULDN'T HEAR A loving THING. Then he just shut up or only talked about stuff relevant to the match.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Speaking of, is there a BSS discord? Is there a link?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://discord.gg/RvDgtfJF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Well, there’s an apology

https://gizmodo.com/marvel-miles-morales-what-if-thor-comic-writer-apologiz-1849096096