Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

After the incident with Seth, Ice Princess is no longer allowed to participate at Herogasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bussamove posted:

No all those other examples don’t count anyone could survive a train being dropped on them come on.

This and pointing out we've seen him survive bullets are missing the point. Starlight and Maeve can do that. The idea would be to show how much better and more invincible he is than them, not than a normal human.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's pretty funny this whole thing, idk, there are currently two shows on TV, in fact both on Amazon Prime, that the entire premise is built on the concet of 'Hey, isn't Superman actually a super terrifying thing?' (on a sidenote, this concept itself is explroed in some Superman comics as well, but, yeah), one of them is Invincible which is an animated show so obviously we get superman to do crazy things all the time, the other show being the Boys where we had some shorthand to show that Homelander is on a whole different power level and other than that his power is more of a plot dynamic thing, everyone else is scared of him, every other supe on earth combined can't face up to him, and in my opinion that's enough like, you can't show million dollar supe fights like it's a marvel movie and even if you could we all know how those movies kinda falter in exactly this whole aspect, a very strong humanoid punching another strong humanoid with their strength levels varying minute to minute so that the fight has some dramatic back and forth, it really kinda sucks, we all know we're going to get a similar marvel battle between butcher and homelander but the show is already working on making that particular showdown more satisfying in because Billy basically has to sacrifice everything just to get to the point where there's even a point in him swinging a fist at homelander, the fact that Billy would just stand there knowing that Homelander can vaporize him where he stands is kinda what drives the whole show.

idk I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really doesn't feel like a failure of 'show don't tell' to me, Homelander is as strong as it gets, he can go on a genocide spree killing every human on the planet, I'm ok with that.

The comparison to Invincible is a good one, because in that show you did get regular demonstrations of Omni-Man's powers compared to everyone else's whereas in The Boys it's mostly inferred from everyone cowering.

It wouldn't even have to be an adversarial thing, they could just go on some Vought team-up to show off his powers. I just want to see the psycho superman cut loose, is it too much to ask.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's pretty dubious whether Butcher is willing to do anything or cross anyone just to accomplish the goals he has set his mind to. Are the ends really more important to him than the means? maybe they could show how ice-cold he is by adopting a puppy & bonding with it, but then throws it into a volcano when it starts to get in the way of his drug & murder addiction.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Butcher and homelander just need to drop the foreplay and kiss

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Butcher and homelander just need to drop the foreplay and kiss

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
soldier boy needs to go out of his way to make Jonathan Blow cry. ideally while in character shouting yooop

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I wonder how many people wanting to cease specific things have recently watched season one and two, where they probably showed those things?

On the complete opposite hand, I love the female dance sequences even though they don’t give us any new information. It’s a very funny contrast to Huey starlight and Butcher Maeve.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Season 2 has that bit where Homelander is daydreaming about cleaving through a crowd of thousands with his laser eyes, that always seemed enough for me, the guy is a walking genocide machine, beyond the fact that no supe can take him on directly he's a bad day away from just destroying entire cities, the man can topple a skyscraper with ease, probably.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And let's be honest the actual on screen supe fight at the end of season 2 was probably the cheapest this show has ever felt, it's not like the show is really great at pulling off these super hero battles, it's a good thing that they're conservative with their use of supe action sequences. And hey as long as it's not as ridiculous as it was in Heroes where every cool sequenced happened just off screen I really don't think there's much to complain about, the show really has plenty of cool effects and supe related visuals.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I don't think the point is that the show is bad because of the lack of durability feats on Homelander's part—the argument is that an already amazing show could've had something else good about it, through easy, quick, & inexpensive ways of showing his invulnerability.

The Botulinum Toxin idea (or something else that looks deadly) would require nothing but a brief, few second shot of someone pouring something vile looking into Homelander's milk. Stick that in front of the many already established scenes of him drinking milk, and you've got a good demo of his strength. You lose nothing but a few seconds, and gain a visual demonstration of his superiority.

Find a way to get a knife in his eye during one of the scenes where he's torturing petty criminals to death—they'd make one last, desperate, futile attempt to hurt him before their respective scenes play as normal. Again, no Marvel movie sized budget needed for that.

Heck, have Homelander himself insist that Neuman try to pop his head, under the guise of just messing around. She tries, an ominous and intense sound effect plays as she glares at Homelander, her eyes going milky... And Antony Starr just smiles throughout it all. After that ominous sound effect and eye filter end, the two go on as normal.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 19, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And let's be honest the actual on screen supe fight at the end of season 2 was probably the cheapest this show has ever felt, it's not like the show is really great at pulling off these super hero battles, it's a good thing that they're conservative with their use of supe action sequences. And hey as long as it's not as ridiculous as it was in Heroes where every cool sequenced happened just off screen I really don't think there's much to complain about, the show really has plenty of cool effects and supe related visuals.

I dread the day the boys discover the secret true power of "the door".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think Season 2 has that bit where Homelander is daydreaming about cleaving through a crowd of thousands with his laser eyes, that always seemed enough for me, the guy is a walking genocide machine, beyond the fact that no supe can take him on directly he's a bad day away from just destroying entire cities, the man can topple a skyscraper with ease, probably.

For me, this has a lot to do with it as well. Let's pretend that Maeve and Starlight are just as durable as he is. He is still a lot more deadly. If he looks are you, you are dead.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

I don't think the point is that the show is bad because of the lack of durability feats on Homelander's part—the argument is that an already amazing show could've had something else good about it, through easy, quick, & inexpensive ways of showing his invulnerability.

The Botulinum Toxin idea (or something else that looks deadly) would require nothing but a brief, few second shot of someone pouring something vile looking into Homelander's milk. Stick that in front of the many already established scenes of him drinking milk, and you've got a good demo of his strength. You lose nothing but a few seconds, and gain a visual demonstration of his superiority.

Find a way to get a knife in his eye during one of the scenes where he's torturing petty criminals to death—they'd make one last, desperate, futile attempt to hurt him before their respective scenes play as normal. Again, no Marvel movie sized budget needed for that.

Heck, have Homelander himself insist that Neuman try to pop his head, under the guise of just messing around. She tries, an ominous and intense sound effect plays as she glares at Homelander, her eyes going milky... And Antony Starr just smiles throughout it all. After that ominous sound effect and eye filter end, the two go on as normal.

forums posters make terrible TV writers

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Fionordequester posted:

The head pop idea is good. We’ve seen him be plenty invincible to regular people and bullets and being hit by trains and such, but a ton of other supes have also been shot. I don’t think he’s been superattacked before.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The congressional hearing head-popping scene had people running around, screaming in a wild panic, while Homelander just looks around sort of amused and confused. :shrug:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
any real supe fight on screen will look like some lovely dragonball z garbage and im glad they only tried it once on screen, even then they had to settle for what looked like a normal human beatdown interrupted by eye lazers

properly visually depicting superman fighting superman is loving impossible

Goast fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 19, 2022

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

jabby posted:

The comparison to Invincible is a good one, because in that show you did get regular demonstrations of Omni-Man's powers compared to everyone else's whereas in The Boys it's mostly inferred from everyone cowering.

It wouldn't even have to be an adversarial thing, they could just go on some Vought team-up to show off his powers. I just want to see the psycho superman cut loose, is it too much to ask.

This is the only problem with selling Homelander on another tier of power to other characters, we are only being told it. If Homelander did to A-train what Omni-man did to that show's Flash counterpart it would give all the cowering and whispering by other supes much more weight.

What other supes has Homelander killed/fought on screen, because we only see Supersonic dead it takes the gravity away from it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jabby posted:

Hughie and Starlight's relationship is so doomed.

Turning point for me was when he said the mission was "too dangerous" for her, an actual full-time supe and member of the Seven, and to leave it to him with his temporary V-powers. It's not just that he can't cope with being weaker than his girlfriend, he's not even happy if they're equals. He has to be the one 'saving' her and it came across super condescending.

And the kicker is, when she phoned him and said she was in danger he convinced her to stay. So for me he can't even convincingly argue it's about keeping her safe, this is all about fulfilling his twisted notions of being the strong, protective one in the relationship.

Yeah they went pretty heavy on making this clear. Like just that one scene spelled everything out. OUT WANT TO SAVE YOU STARLIGHT PLS LET ME SAVE YOU :(

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Hughie's being borderline cucked by her supe boss and her supe ex (well not now). Of course he's horny for/super insecure about powers. It's kind of a flip bc book Hughie drives his fist entirely through hamster guy early on and is traumatized by it like forever.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
What if they showed every hero power level?
“Homelander has 100.000.000.000, Maeve looks strong but she's only at 100.000.000!”

Then we’d actually know how strong he is! And why everyone is terrified around him

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Give (clap) Butcher (clap) a (clap) scouter (clap)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I want ashley to get taken out by the baseball homelander threw into orbit in season 1.

Preferably after the credits have rolled on the final ever episode.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
If the fight that kills Homelander is some drawn out fight I'll be very disappointed. I kinda want it to be incredibly fast and violent with an almost immediate conclusion. I just think that would be the way a "real" kill Superman fight would go. Either your plan works and some of you die killing a living god very quickly so they don't have time to think/react, or it fails and you're immediately hosed.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i appreciated that the boys' version of robert evans is the robert evans from the patton oswalt bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN226PToig

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Miss Mowcher posted:

What if they showed every hero power level?
“Homelander has 100.000.000.000, Maeve looks strong but she's only at 100.000.000!”

Then we’d actually know how strong he is! And why everyone is terrified around him

That's still "telling instead of showing"--not to mention the problem of figuring out whether to treat the PLs linearly.

Does a 500 PL fighter walk all over a 400 PL fighter? If so, can the same be said of a 900,000 PL guy vs a 899,900 guy? Or should it be "900,000 PL vs " 800,000 PL", since that looks neater?

And then you have the additional problem of " why does anyone even bother fighting?". All fights would, logically, begin and end with the fighters whipping out their scouters, then deciding who submits from there. Not terribly exciting.

Those are the problems Dragon Ball Z ran into when it tried that--I'd hate to see that repeated for any other show.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 19, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Robobot posted:

If the fight that kills Homelander is some drawn out fight I'll be very disappointed. I kinda want it to be incredibly fast and violent with an almost immediate conclusion. I just think that would be the way a "real" kill Superman fight would go. Either your plan works and some of you die killing a living god very quickly so they don't have time to think/react, or it fails and you're immediately hosed.

That’s exactly how it went in the comic,it was like 2 or 3 panels then the fight happened offscreen and then a great shot of the immediate aftermath.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Indeed. I was always impressed by how much damage Homelander inflicted on Black Noir, despite supposedly being a bit weaker. Dude went down swinging!

Also, is the above even a spoiler, at this point? Given how wildly the show differs from the comic?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fionordequester posted:

That's still "telling instead of showing"--not to mention the problem of figuring out whether to treat the PLs linearly.

Does a 500 PL fighter walk all over a 400 PL fighter? If so, can the same be said of a 900,000 PL guy vs a 899,900 guy? Or should it be "900,000 PL vs " 800,000 PL", since that looks neater.

And then you have the additional problem of " why does anyone even bother fighting?". All fights would, logically, begin and end with the fighters whipping out their scouters, then deciding who submits from there. Not terribly exciting.

Those are the problems Dragon Ball Z ran into when it tried that--I'd hate to see that repeated for any other show.

are you... are you not understanding the person was making a joke or did you decide to just go ahead and break down the issues with power levels in fiction

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Personally I can't wait to see Hughie (Potential Unleashed) vs Homelander ( True Ascended Super Man)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

crepeface posted:

are you... are you not understanding the person was making a joke or did you decide to just go ahead and break down the issues with power levels in fiction

I figured they were--but one can never be certain. And, regardless of their intent, it's still an interesting topic.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 19, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
idk if it's an interesting topic OP

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
To be honest I’d rather have OP’s thing than Ronald Reagan

No Dignity posted:

Personally I can't wait to see Hughie (Potential Unleashed) vs Homelander ( True Ascended Super Man)

Naked hughie: “laser my balls”

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are we, the viewer, supposed to properly gauge Homelanders power if we've never seen him shove the entire moon up his rear end?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

No Dignity posted:

I will not rest until we see an on screen appearance of Serge Rojo and MM Calvo

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I thought Jupiter's Legacy (netflix) had a pretty good superhero fights. Everything seems properly overpowered and brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgN5h5LXn0

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m starting to think this story might be fictional

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

2nd level spells posted:

I thought Jupiter's Legacy (netflix) had a pretty good superhero fights. Everything seems properly overpowered and brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgN5h5LXn0

This is good for the CW

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think showing the power of all the other supes and then showing how terrified they are of Homelander does a good job illustrating his strength without relying on stupid gimmicks.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

TV writers really need to stop having a character attempt to get another character to kill someone under duress. Frenchie doesn't want to kill anymore, Nina is trying to get him to keep killing through intimidation, ergo kill Nina. She doesn't even walk around with guarda. It's not like Frenchie hasn't killed before. I assume she just has powers we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
whatever they are doing with homelander is the right move he's perfect, I'm actually a bit worried they're gonna off him and the show just won't be the same anymore

Noam Chomsky posted:

TV writers really need to stop having a character attempt to get another character to kill someone under duress. Frenchie doesn't want to kill anymore, Nina is trying to get him to keep killing through intimidation, ergo kill Nina. She doesn't even walk around with guarda. It's not like Frenchie hasn't killed before. I assume she just has powers we haven't seen yet.

yeah I hate stuff like that, and I don't particularly care for the whole frenchie/nina plot line, reminds me of a similar plot-line from the expanse except that one was handled in a side book.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 19, 2022