Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Raised By Birds posted:

Marty Two Bulls

I
Oh no, not you too Marty! Resist, don't turn into another lazy commentator!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bismuth posted:

Is this better?

Beautiful! It belongs in a museum!

Also maybe there needs to be another, larger, sign that says DEBT because this is the politoons thread. Korner Kelly sayz "get on the grantwagon"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

kartikeya posted:

The absolute abomination that is this dude's "style".

Like... the only explanation for a human being arriving at that drawing style/font is that he got told at some point that it's important for a cartoonist to have a visually distinct style, so that anyone looking at your cartoon will instantly know you're the one who drew it, and he took the absolute worst approach to it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

gently caress you Mike Lester. I have literally no idea what this comic is trying to say other than you probably haven't been to an optometrist before.

Wait, no, I do know its Mike Lester trying to peddle the "Jan 6th was caused by Antifa" nonsense, so gently caress You Mike Lester.

I assumed it was about the Idaho arrests, but same difference.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Randalor posted:

gently caress you Mike Lester. I have literally no idea what this comic is trying to say other than you probably haven't been to an optometrist before.

Wait, no, I do know its Mike Lester trying to peddle the "Jan 6th was caused by Antifa" nonsense, so gently caress You Mike Lester.

This is Schrödinger's coup: it was at the same time peaceful republican patriots taking a spontaneous tour through congress and rioting antifa/crisis actors payed off by George Soros to make Trump look bad.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the PM’s delay in appointing a new ethics adviser – Boris Johnson’s spokesperson said the PM would not immediately start looking for a replacement for Lord Geidt, who resigned on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

EU leaders pledge the world to Ukraine – while the cameras are rolling

Matt:

Gatwick forces airlines to cancel 4,000 summer flights

Independent:

After Ilya Repin.

The i paper:

Times:

When are the train strikes and which rail lines are affected?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol it's not even the drivers who are on strike, it's not the drivers' union that voted for strike action, but lazy train drivers who just sit in a seat all day am i right? brookes you chode

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Most of these are pretty obvious, but I'm unclear on the baby-eater in the gold helmet and the giant translucent gelatinous thing that's mostly out of frame.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Most of these are pretty obvious, but I'm unclear on the baby-eater in the gold helmet and the giant translucent gelatinous thing that's mostly out of frame.

The baby-eater in the helmet is from Hieronymus Bosch's depiction of Hell; the translucent gelatinous thing is Ian Flation, or Rowson's depiction of inflation that's been in a few of the recent cartoons.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its funny that the I and the Guardian are running the exact same cartoon, but the level of effort Bell puts in absolutely blows Jennings out of the water.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabong posted:

Its funny that the I and the Guardian are running the exact same cartoon, but the level of effort Bell puts in absolutely blows Jennings out of the water.

That's Martin Rowson, not Steve Bell. Bell has been on the outs at the Graun for a while for not being a poo poo liberal.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
So there was a news story of Biden falling off his bike earlier today.

I look forward to the dozens of cartoons about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

JamesBont posted:

So there was a news story of Biden falling off his bike earlier today.

I look forward to the dozens of cartoons about it.

Branco seamlessly works it into the dozen other Biden Bad signifiers

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Genuinely looking forward to Branco's attempt at drawing a bicycle.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I guess fishman has never taken a college level chemistry course.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

John Deering

Clay Jones

Gary Markstein

Tony Branco

quote:

Slip Slidin’ Away: Many law-abiding gun owners believe that Red Flag laws are a slippery slope to gun confiscation and “no due process”.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"How do I write a joke? Just cram as many words in there as possible? I'm pretty sure it's probably cramming as many words in there as possible so I can get to my next bottle of gin."

(Also pedantic edit: Pennies have been a copper coating around a core of zinc for about 40 years now)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Holy poo poo, a Bennett with actual effort, a solid joke, and not just liberal "ANY DAY NOW" bullshit about Trump, maybe Bennett is trying to get better!

Oh. Disregard my previous statement.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I like this idea but the people it's addressing won't be able to read it (and probably hate the French anyway)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Best cartoon that unintentionally reveals something about the artist

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

"It can't possibly be that I'm an rear end in a top hat and a terrible father, and my kid is rightfully calling me out! No, the OTHER guy's kid must be wrong!"

Why do I have the feeling this reveals more about Fishman than anything else?

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 19, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it’s a generic father’s day joke that you’re reading way too deeply. Fishman can actually produce a decent (for newspaper comics) gag unlike Tinsley who usually couldn’t resist sticking a dumb political message or personal pet peeve into it. Or schmaltzy generic “I love my dad” cartoon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Context: Norwegian prisons for women are worse than they are for men and nobody cares. One of the reason could be that it is just too few female inmates (173 in total) for them to apply pressure on the government.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it’s a generic father’s day joke that you’re reading way too deeply. Fishman can actually produce a decent (for newspaper comics) gag unlike Tinsley who usually couldn’t resist sticking a dumb political message or personal pet peeve into it. Or schmaltzy generic “I love my dad” cartoon.

You may be right. I just hate dads being assholes to their kids in newspaper comics, especially the "Boomer dad who hates his millennial teenage son" variety.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Charlie Hebdo

"According to the experts, a 35% increase in the area covered by migratory insects could be a sign of their adapting to climate change.- The Guardian, 24/5/2022"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Cloud Potato posted:

The i paper:

I do not like the way Mr. Burns is staring at Cruella's feet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JamesBont posted:

You may be right. I just hate dads being assholes to their kids in newspaper comics, especially the "Boomer dad who hates his millennial teenage son" variety.
The youngest millennials are in their mid-20s, and the oldest are pushing 40. Boomers are probably all in their 60s now?

What I’m saying is that these comics are laughably out of date as the boomers who refuse to retire keep drawing.

Meanwhile the great grandson of his family’s 1920s legacy comic, who has had its protagonist go from an extinct generation that predates the Silent Generation so I can’t even get an agreed upon name for it (GI Generation? Lost Generation? I thought Greatest Generation was reserved for WWII vets. Also the word generation looks weird to you now) is now a millennial, finds these Boomers to be weak.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nameless Pete posted:

He thinks they're excellent.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Handcart from hell for Boris Johnson – From stagflation to strikes, the only way is down for the prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

Train strikes: Network Rail map reveals only routes running

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Lord Geidt resigns: Boris Johnson may not replace ethics adviser

Mail on Sunday:

------

Nameless Pete posted:

"Check out the luscious pair on that redhead. That's it, baby, work those ankles!"
"Ring-a-ding-ding, sir."

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bismuth posted:

Is this better?

Yes, pretty much

Kellies nomination: Best Edit

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 20, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Please spell out the word you're referring to with "nom" or it won't show up when I collect them.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

The youngest millennials are in their mid-20s, and the oldest are pushing 40. Boomers are probably all in their 60s now?

Since boomers started in 46, that puts the oldest ones at 76. Depending on how you define the end of that generation, the youngest would be from 58 to 62. And the bulk of them would be in or around their 70s.

The dumb thing about pointing to specific dates for start and stop is that so much of it is cultural commonality. By some definitions I count as a boomer, but by others I'm Gen X or Generation Jones (kind of a mini Gen between boomer and X). I have a friend who is six months older than me, but is definitely a boomer in tastes. Probably because his parents were Greatest while mine were Silent, and so he got a lot of cultural exposure from his older siblings. I have a lot more in common with X or Jones.

And yes, by and large, boomers suck. So may went from counterculture hippies to the very establishment they despised back then. And like pretty much every generation, they have to die off before passing on the reins of power. They're just living longer than prior ones.

Tl, dr: :corsair:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

The Patriarchy and toxic masculinity as a whole are harmful to men as well as women, AGC

Also, Winslow's family are supposed to be the crazy ultra-libs who do silly things like support their trans kid and play marxist monopoly, his father would wholly agree with the message, and may have taught it to Winslow in the first place. Carmen can paint her own drat rock if she doesn't like it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kartikeya posted:

play marxist monopoly
Wasn't that set of rules included with the original to make play less boring?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't that set of rules included with the original to make play less boring?

iirc, Monopoly was created by someone as a takedown of capitalism, and then it was co-opted by a gaming company, but I don't think there were alternate rules? Being able to seize the means of production would certainly make it more interesting. Park Place also deserves to burn.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

On the energy crisis, Anthony Albanese with energy minister Chris Bowen, with opposition leader Peter Dutton and shadow treasurer Angus Taylor at the window.

Broelman:

They held the Logie awards for Australian television last night. Anthony Albanese urged to stop Julian Assange ‘madness’ (news.com.au).

Badiucao:

Knight:

Spooner:

Peter Dutton repeated that Chris Bowen is a "bunny in the headlights" when it comes to solving the energy crisis which I guess is now shown to be a line that works with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

kartikeya posted:

iirc, Monopoly was created by someone as a takedown of capitalism, and then it was co-opted by a gaming company, but I don't think there were alternate rules? Being able to seize the means of production would certainly make it more interesting. Park Place also deserves to burn.
There were indeed! The 'standard' monopolist version of the Landlord's Game was there to teach you that monopolies suck rear end for everyone but the lucky shithead, and the 'prosperity' version of it was to show you to do something better with your time than miserably circling the drain by educating you of the wonders of Georgism and the single tax.

Wikipedia posted:

The set had rules for two different games, anti-monopolist and Monopolist. The anti-monopolist rules reward all during wealth creation while the monopolist rules had the goal of forming monopolies and forcing opponents out of the game.[3] A win in the anti-monopolist or Single Tax version (later called "Prosperity"), was when the player having the lowest monetary amount has doubled his original stake.