Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The American equivalent of Yakuza is The Division

Accurate scaled down representation of real cities
Pandemic's out of control
Social services don't exist
Everyone has guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTbIDHzRzno

That looks pretty cool, and unfortunately accurate in premise. I'd actually like to play that I think.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

BD is good, I finished the sequel earlier this year and both games have their issues but overall they are very good throwback RPGs.

If you get far enough in to get to the repetitive part, my advice is to keep going, it's faster to get through than you might think. Trust me, you'll know what part I mean when you get there.
For now, just enjoy the story and the class system and use the encounter rate option whenever you feel like it, there's no downside to it.

I've never been spoiled on the game completely, but I've been spoiled enough if that makes sense. It's one of those games plenty of people have played but doesn't get talked about much. I've bounced off of it several times because I get choice paralysis, but this time it's working so far. I'm running Tiz and Agnes as mages, Ringabel is a Monk and Edea is a Knight for now. I just grabbed Thief and Merchant but Thief only seems worth it for Steal and I hate mechanics that cost me money so I'm not even touching Merchant. I'm also a tad overleveled because I forgot you could adjust the encounter rate so I've actually been able to skip the last 3 dungeons and still handle the bosses no problem. It's fun!

Jay Rust posted:

How tragic, that murder can ever be considered “cozy”. What a culture

The stories aren't about the murder. They're about the sweet/cute/bumbling/idiot savant/autistic (pick 2) detective and their friends. The story isn't the murder, but who solves it and their personal lives. Think the tv show Monk for a visual example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hatty posted:

Reminds me of those Harlequin mystery books my Nana used to read

MYSTERY BABY

Is the baby the detective or the killer

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Neither. The weapon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

a pastry chef

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

How tragic, that murder can ever be considered “cozy”. What a culture

saying this in an anime villain voice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

In many cases the murder is not the sole crime committed, it is just the one that brings the other crimes to light through investigation, whether those crimes are theft, embezzlement, forgery, blackmail, bribery, etc

i will never solve a murder, out of respect for the dead and the killer. but i will solve the hell out of the forgery, blackmail, and bribery. i leave embezzling alone, prior agreement. theft is just cool so why bother

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
imagine you kill someone, did all the work, hid all the evidence, perfect crime. then some rear end in a top hat solves the murder aka brings the victim back to life, drags up the evidence, and then has the gall to throw it all in your face after you were the one to start the work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Khanstant posted:

imagine you kill someone, did all the work, hid all the evidence, perfect crime. then some rear end in a top hat solves the murder aka brings the victim back to life, drags up the evidence, and then has the gall to throw it all in your face after you were the one to start the work.

You're correct, it is in fact the 12th anniversary of the release of Ghost Trick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is an adventure game developed by Capcom for the Nintendo DS and iOS. Ghost Trick's story centers on the recently deceased protagonist Sissel, and his ghost's struggle to discover who he was when he was alive and who killed him.

this sounds dope, i wish i had illegally downloaded this for my r4 back when i was in colidj

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ghost Trick is absolutely dope as poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

this sounds dope, i wish i had illegally downloaded this for my r4 back when i was in colidj

The twist is he died from years of unhealthy eating

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god its me

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Is "Only Murders In The Building" on Hulu considered a cozy murder show? I've been meaning to give that one a shot.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Columbo and Murder She Wrote are very cozy imo

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wuggles posted:

Is "Only Murders In The Building" on Hulu considered a cozy murder show? I've been meaning to give that one a shot.

Yes it is. My wife and I enjoyed it, but we're marks for both comedians. It's renewed for a second season the last time I looked into it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

Ghost Trick is absolutely dope as poo poo.

This post yo

This loving post

For reals

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a character in Ghost Trick you have to save multiple times through the game and the third time, she's like "Ha, I died again!" and the protagonist is like "You should really be more concerned about this."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GOAT Trick

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
More importantly Ghost Trick has the best dog in all of gaming

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I have it sitting on my R4 right now but I'm playing other games at the moment. Maybe when my son and I finish Great Ace Attorney and AI 2.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ghost Trick is the best game on the 3DS and probably the best game you can get on your phone

also i was really hoping that those cat pastry murder books would have the cats be the actual protagonist and solving the murders. not some lame human

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
animals can talk in books too so its doubly disappointing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ghost trick is pretty

Pretty bad at letting you skip dialogue you’ve already heard before !!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

Both Hercule Poirot and Columbo posit at times that perfect crimes don't happen because detectives are professionals or longtime hobbyists while murderers are usually newbies and amateurs (which also stresses the importance of catching them before they become good at it).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chev posted:

Both Hercule Poirot and Columbo posit at times that perfect crimes don't happen because detectives are professionals or longtime hobbyists while murderers are usually newbies and amateurs (which also stresses the importance of catching them before they become good at it).

I don't think "getting good at killing" is a concern in most of those stories though, the murder is generally a means to an end and there is usually a limit to how many of your older relatives you can kill for the inheritance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chev posted:

Perfect crimes are usually impossible due to either the breadcrumb trail of financials left from theft or the inevitable string of relationships that emerge in most murders (re: people tend to kill people they know). The only truly unsolvable crimes tend to be at-random murders, since the lack of connection makes trying to tie them back to a real identity difficult at the best of times.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ymgve posted:

I don't think "getting good at killing" is a concern in most of those stories though, the murder is generally a means to an end and there is usually a limit to how many of your older relatives you can kill for the inheritance

No, a recurring theme Agatha Christie detectives remark upon is that murder inevitably becomes a habit, that once someone has solved a problem through killing and gotten away with it they'll do it again because it worked and it'll become easier to choose that path for each new problem they encounter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

wuggles posted:

I highly recommend this show, and Season 2 releases at the end of the month!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I highly recommend this show, and Season 2 releases at the end of the month!

Are they doing a full season release at once, or is it a one episode per week schedule?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I think Hulu does incremental releases, but I'm not actually sure!

Also, if you do watch the first season, a minor spoiler to reveal only after you watch episode three (if you want to look, you'll understand when you watch):

Winnie, the dog, is okay

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sprout Fashion :hai:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Under the Banner of Heaven was incremental, but they may do it show by show. I think Dollface drops all at once.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder how Melinda Megamelons is doing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Evergreen tweet
https://twitter.com/yelix/status/1164883642809769986

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
wanna be friends with dinosaur butler

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i hope dinosaur butler and nugget junior are friends

i hope nugget junior is the son of mad scientist dr. nugget and dinosaur butler is his dinosaur butler

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nugget jr is obviously a big yakuza fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tag urself, I'm Good Name