Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

Lol more like 4000

Limited time offer its $5000 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

corgiwizard posted:

this time there’s really going to be police reform lol

lmao

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/anilsaidso/status/1534958250969354240?t=ddzHa2f6EJl4svWuNam8MQ&s=19

Lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao get dunked bagholder nerds

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
median holding is $500? either I'm an elitist piece of poo poo or that's mostly curiosity, right? not a big commitment

also lol, from the boc bitcoin report

quote:

Bitcoin owners displayed greater knowledge about the Bitcoin network than non-owners, yet they scored lower on questions testing financial literacy.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol gently caress this country man

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper/status/1536381474449936384

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

(Nudges parter in the posting theatre and whispers) that's the guy who stomped a racoon to death while on a double date with his parents

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"This is their traditional territory. No they can't have it back, our government stole it fair and square."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when I went to western university these land aknolegement were part of every public presentation. You rich fucks, if you are not giving the land back or even supporting the people it was stolen from you are just bragging

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

haha my university too

it's definitely a form of thoughts and prayers

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It's actually worse than thoughts and prayers, since rather than an empty gesture it's actually a part of consolidating colonial land theft.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's sweetly stupid in a deeply Canadian way, I love it.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

stavros had a great bit on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHzrbskBTZQ

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Is there a primer on how "giving the land back" is supposed to work? I hear it a lot and never an explanation of which land and how that looks. It honestly sounds pretty stupid to me and I'm 100 percent behind actually putting $$ to reconciliation. I will happily admit that I'm not particularly steeped in knowledge on this subject, and my ignorance is my own, but if generally well meaning individuals are in the dark on this subject it doesn't speak well for the messaging.

I take it no one ITT has given away their land?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Math You posted:

Is there a primer on how "giving the land back" is supposed to work? I hear it a lot and never an explanation of which land and how that looks. It honestly sounds pretty stupid to me and I'm 100 percent behind actually putting $$ to reconciliation. I will happily admit that I'm not particularly steeped in knowledge on this subject, and my ignorance is my own, but if generally well meaning individuals are in the dark on this subject it doesn't speak well for the messaging.

We keep the land and kill the natives if they get too uppity.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Math You posted:

do you think we’re big land owners here in cspam???

anyway you could have just Googled it, there are a lot of land claims and it takes a long time and the government fights tooth and nail not to give back land but it has happened: https://www.ontario.ca/page/current-land-claims#section-2

In general the actual land back movement is not asking anyone to vacate their home. Most of the time it’s just fighting new developments on indigenous land.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Math You posted:

i don't own any land.

or much of anything else, for that matter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Math You posted:

lol you think i can afford to own land in Canada ok boomer. I have zero issues paying rent to a native tribe

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I'd rather pay rent to an indigenous entity than prop up all these old failboomers

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

we don’t actually own land in an English common law nation. you just have temporary tenure. transferring that to the First Nations would likely not even be something you’d notice or if you did it would likely improve.

you know. moving to people who think land stewardship is important over inbred royals who want to diddle children and exploit resources

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we don’t actually own land in an English common law nation

yeah not in Canada, but i think there are some barons in England who would disagree

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

returning crown lands would be an easy enough thing to do, but then where would I go muddin?

There are some stories that have been building about actual land restorations. This is one I recall reading recently (in the States but that border is irrelevant): https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/land-in-washington-returned-to-colville-tribes

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we don’t actually own land in an English common law nation. you just have temporary tenure. transferring that to the First Nations would likely not even be something you’d notice or if you did it would likely improve.

you know. moving to people who think land stewardship is important over inbred royals who want to diddle children and exploit resources

A better reply. Excellent point.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

we assume indigenous people would treat us like we treat them which says more about us than them.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OlBT2OcGg

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Related to the Colville story, I heard a talk last term by a biologist from Westbank about salmon restoration efforts using mostly indigenous knowledge and effort that have been taking place from BC and into Washington. They have even been championing rewilding, restoring wet lands where rivers were channeled, etc. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to fix what we screwed up pretty quickly but to see how nature responds was quite heartening.

Appreciating of course this is CSPAM, lol, lmao, nothing matters. But its nice to see not everything needs to be terrible all of the time

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Jun 19, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we assume indigenous people would treat us like we treat them which says more about us than them.

Going right to the heart of a lot of motivation I have been reading from the right

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bilirubin posted:

Appreciating of course this is CSPAM, lol, lmao, nothing matters. But its nice to see not everything needs to be terrible all of the time

Respite from suffering only makes future suffering worse. You fool.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Going right to the heart of a lot of motivation I have been reading from the right

someone once said “when a conservative tells you their fears, they are telling you their plans” on this forum and it really stuck to me

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

someone once said “when a conservative tells you their fears, they are telling you their plans” on this forum and it really stuck to me

Yes. With conservatives everything is 100% projection

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Math You posted:

Ive felt bad watching the Kent Monkman art piece where he is in drag and crying while licking a pair of RCMP boots before, isn't that enough?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Ive felt bad watching the Kent Monkman art piece where he is in drag and crying while licking a pair of RCMP boots before, isn't that enough?

I still can't make up my mind about Monkman. I want to like him, but just can't quite get there. Plus he runs a small art factory, pays artists meh wages to crank out paintings. I worked in a similar art factory for 3 years and it wasn't great. Sucks to sign someone else's name to art you made and then watch them promote themselves/the art pretending they did it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TBF to Monkman it is a time honoured legit practice, but I just never like when artists just replicate exploitation of labour.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Bilirubin posted:

Related to the Colville story, I heard a talk last term by a biologist from Westbank about salmon restoration efforts using mostly indigenous knowledge and effort that have been taking place from BC and into Washington. They have even been championing rewilding, restoring wet lands where rivers were channeled, etc. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to fix what we screwed up pretty quickly but to see how nature responds was quite heartening.

I think a very important piece of this is instilling a sense of stewardship of natural places in our population. There's been an intense push towards urban spaces, which is largely good but has created a separation and blindness to the goings on in less populated areas.

If you want people to give a poo poo about the land, instill in your children a love for it. If more people vacationed in provincial and national parks instead of theme parks we might get somewhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to the extent that i ever "vacationed" as a kid, it was camping in a provincial park, and we regularly hiked along the trans canada trail here in ontario.

what it taught me is that nature exists, it is generally unpleasant over a long enough timeline, and i'd rather not be in it if i have a choice.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Math You posted:

I think a very important piece of this is instilling a sense of stewardship of natural places in our population. There's been an intense push towards urban spaces, which is largely good but has created a separation and blindness to the goings on in less populated areas.

If you want people to give a poo poo about the land, instill in your children a love for it. If more people vacationed in provincial and national parks instead of theme parks we might get somewhere.

That is also part of this initiative, where they hold events for kids and parents, indigenous and not, to get down with the fish and their environment. Making this more of a community effort does help build exactly what you say. I'm a city kid, but spent lots of time in the woods while growing up and still find it restorative.

infernal machines posted:

to the extent that i ever "vacationed" as a kid, it was camping in a provincial park, and we regularly hiked along the trans canada trail here in ontario.

what it taught me is that nature exists, it is generally unpleasant over a long enough timeline, and i'd rather not be in it if i have a choice.
A buddy of mine once said "nature's overrated; too many bugs, not enough bars"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

A buddy of mine once said "nature's overrated; too many bugs, not enough bars"

a person after my own heart

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you can swing it, go to the right places in nature, and there will be fewer people to deal with. Bonus if you take a canoe or kayak, and find yourself a waterfront camping spot. Set up for a few nights like George Carlin used to say about waterfront property: The best thing is that you only have assholes on 3 sides of you, and if they come from the other way, you can hear them splashing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like 90% of our great nation is devoid of people. it's just cold and wet and full things that bite.

i heartily encourage anyone that dreams of wandering off and living in the woods to do so. there's so much of them it's doubtful anyone would even notice.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jun 20, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yes but also why shouldn't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Having spent some time in nature, I would like to burn all tick-harboring foliage and fill in and pave over all mosquito-producing wetlands.