Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
can we stop disparagingly referring to dragon ball z cause it definitely owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

TV writers really need to stop having a character attempt to get another character to kill someone under duress. Frenchie doesn't want to kill anymore, Nina is trying to get him to keep killing through intimidation, ergo kill Nina. She doesn't even walk around with guarda. It's not like Frenchie hasn't killed before. I assume she just has powers we haven't seen yet.

Moreover, maybe I missed it, but why does she need Frenchie to do it? If she's got goons who will kill Frenchie if he doesn't comply, then send the goons to kill whoever in the first place. What would she have done if Frenchie hadn't happened to blow into town?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

PostNouveau posted:

Moreover, maybe I missed it, but why does she need Frenchie to do it? If she's got goons who will kill Frenchie if he doesn't comply, then send the goons to kill whoever in the first place. What would she have done if Frenchie hadn't happened to blow into town?

because she wants to break him or whatever as a show of power or whatever.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lady Radia posted:

can we stop disparagingly referring to dragon ball z cause it definitely owns

Oh, it's my favorite show of all time, absolutely. Power Levels did not help it, though.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the first episode power levels were introduced they were rendered null and void, that was the whole point of them. that it was dumb garbage for babies.

if homelander is the strongest superhero why does he not simply eat the other superheroes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

the first episode power levels were introduced they were rendered null and void, that was the whole point of them. that it was dumb garbage for babies.

if homelander is the strongest superhero why does he not simply eat the other superheroes.

A post you may come to regret making...

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lady Radia posted:

the first episode power levels were introduced they were rendered null and void, that was the whole point of them. that it was dumb garbage forstronges

And yet, the one with the higher Power Level still wins every fight, except for the Raditz fight. Even then, it took an attack from someone stronger + Goku sacrificing himself to pin him down + A new technique Piccolo effectively pulled out of his bum (since we're not made aware of it until we're already in the middle of the fight) just to manage it.

Power is almost everything in that show--which is probably why Freeza's PL of 1,000,000 is the last time Toriyama ever gave specific numbers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

in the comics j/k I don't remember any cannibalism in the comics

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

2nd level spells posted:

I thought Jupiter's Legacy (netflix) had a pretty good superhero fights. Everything seems properly overpowered and brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgN5h5LXn0

Yeesh. This is like borderline Power Rangers stuff.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

in the comics j/k I don't remember any cannibalism in the comics

Black Noir ate at least one baby, as part of his plan to frame & gaslight Homelander--get the ok to kill him.

I hope the same doesn't happen in the show...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Watch out for the major new supe 'Fat Bastard' in Season 4!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Can't believe how dumb the last few pages have been

"Show don't tell" is idiotic pretentious trash for nerds. The show didn't show us all the ways people have tried to kill Translucent before. He told us in a couple sentences and that's all we needed. That's just one example of when the show has done that. Sometimes showing is a waste of time and this show doesn't waste time

You don't need to show how powerful Homelander is because he's very clearly an analog to Superman and almost everyone else in the Seven is an obvious analogue to someone in the Justice League. All you have to do is look at Homelander for a few seconds and go "oh he's Superman and I know about all Superman's powers because he's arguably the most famous superhero ever". You don't need to show him being pushed to his limits. As someone else said, showing how powerful the other supes are and then showing us that all of them are scared of Homelander is all we need. Plus sometimes things are better left to the viewer's imagination

Frenchie doesn't kill Nina because, as I mentioned before, they don't need to show you how far her influence reaches. She straight up says she has multiple contacts at the Kremlin. She has an insanely terrifying network of powerful people. The audience does not need to see her talking to a Putin analogue or whatever

If Frenchie kills Nina he's not free. Someone else in Nina's network will come after him and Kimiko and will never let them feel free and safe

"Show don't tell" is a poo poo concept. Sometimes showing is better and sometimes it's better to have a character just say it in a couple sentences. And then believe the character instead of immediately jumping to "what if they're lying?!?!?!?!"

Goddammit people

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Welcome to TV IV 🙂

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

GunnerJ posted:

Give (clap) Butcher (clap) a (clap) scooter (clap)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can't believe how dumb the last few pages have been

"Show don't tell" is idiotic pretentious trash for nerds...

Regarding the point with Homelander--what's the particular harm in subtly demoing his durability even to things that would normally bypass indestructible skin?

You can say it's unnecessary, and I'd agree to an extent--Homelander is still a terrifying villain. But, what do you actually lose? What harm is actually done to the show? Something poured in Homelander's milk, a knife in his eye... Or heck, have him quickly fly Ryan to the moon to show him how cool outer space is.

Why the resistance? You've explained why it's unnecessary, but not why it would make the show worse.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fionordequester posted:

And yet, the one with the higher Power Level still wins every fight, except for the Raditz fight. Even then, it took an attack from someone stronger + Goku sacrificing himself to pin him down + A new technique Piccolo effectively pulled out of his bum (since we're not made aware of it until we're already in the middle of the fight) just to manage it.

Power is almost everything in that show--which is probably why Freeza's PL of 1,000,000 is the last time Toriyama ever gave specific numbers.

:goonsay:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

They literally showed all these things— including the knife to the eye— during the Soldier Boy experiment videos in the last episode. He survived all of them and Homelander has been stated to be even tougher than Soldier Boy, the previously toughest supe alive. Problem solved because once again not everything needs to be explicitly shown on screen for it to be true.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

They showed the knife to the eye? I know the russian scientist was going to do it, but it seems like he got his throat cut before he could actually follow through

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fionordequester posted:

They showed the knife to the eye? I know the russian scientist was going to do it, but it seems like he got his throat cut before he could actually follow through

He literally says something about testing the durability of soldier boy's eye and puts the knife up to his eye

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well we know Soldier Boy's eyes are still squishy from the torture video, so maybe Homelander's eyes are too. Doubt it since he goes to space and stuff, but until they show a bullet slamming into his eye and pancaking against it, we'll never be sure.

Have we even seen him do anything superheroey besides fly, have super strength, super speed, super hearing, super smell, x-ray vision, and laser murder eyes? Like, how do we even know he's really a supe?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Look when I play with *my* action figures it goes a little something like this.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

can we depict a scene where homelander launches a nuke into the air, flies into it, lets it explode OVER manhattan , and then flies down flashing a poo poo eating grin at the Boys personally?

ok actually that sounds kind of badass im totally on board.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

I don't think the point is that the show is bad because of the lack of durability feats on Homelander's part—the argument is that an already amazing show could've had something else good about it, through easy, quick, & inexpensive ways of showing his invulnerability.

[bad ideas]

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Piell posted:

He literally says something about testing the durability of soldier boy's eye and puts the knife up to his eye

Yes, he holds it up to his eye, but the camera work is vague regarding whether or not he actually started pushing, or if Soldier Boy did... Whatever he did to cut his throat... Before he could get a chance to.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The way other characters react to Homelander is legitimate showing not telling hth

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If homelander put uranium up his butt could he squeeze hard enough to cause a nuclear bussy bomb?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
put a whoopie cushion on his chair, but his butt senses immediately detect it and he avoids it, that way we know he's powerful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oooh have someone put poison in his milk and it doesn't work on him. that way the show is totally badass now

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Khanstant posted:

oooh have someone put poison in his milk and it doesn't work on him. that way the show is totally badass now

That was one of my "bad ideas", yes. Again, what would have been the harm in doing that?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fionordequester posted:

That was one of my "bad ideas", yes. It was never explained to me how it was a bad idea, though.

Again, what's the harm?

Its a bad and pointless scene that wastes time and bloats the episode

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Fionordequester posted:

Yes, he holds it up to his eye, but the camera work is vague regarding whether or not he actually started pushing, or if Soldier Boy did... Whatever he did to cut his throat... Before he could get a chance to.

this is unironically the single most TVIV post ive ever loving seen lmfao

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Now, I didn't read your post since you're the stupidest motherfucker on these forums & and also in the world, but...Weren't you confined to some distant subforum? Were you let out? Big mistake if so.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

this is unironically the single most TVIV post ive ever loving seen lmfao

I'm almost positive there was a lingering shot of the scalpel pressed against his eye?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Piell posted:

Its a bad and pointless scene that wastes time and bloats the episode

Five seconds of Ryan's Mom nervously pouring something in Homelander's milk before he takes it an walks off would've been too much filler?

That's not rhetorical--that's an honest question.

No Dignity posted:

I'm almost positive there was a lingering shot of the scalpel pressed against his eye?

It's held up to his eye, but there's no visual indicator of whether any pressure is being applied.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 19, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Fionordequester posted:

Five seconds of Ryan's Mom nervously pouring something in Homelander's milk before he takes it an walks off would've been too much filler?

That's not rhetorical--that's an honest question.

If its 5 seconds then it's not going to be clear and you'd be wandering in here demanding to know what was happening in that scene, you can't even understand the eye scene where the character literally says out loud what he is doing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol do we have a new bioshuffle in the thread

Fionordequester posted:

On that note, some predictions:

1) Homelander is either going to do all the awful stuff that Black Noir did in the comics--all on his own volition. No gaslighting or anything, just Homelander coming up with it all on his own.

2) Homelander and Starlight will be an actual couple--at least for a few episodes. Starlight will be Homelander's most recent attempt at a romantic relationship... Thus, Starlight will see the smallest glimpse of humanity in Homelander and go for it (because writers enjoy their love triangles & "good girl/bad boy" relationships)... But then break it off eventually, because Homelander's beyond the point where a healthy relationship is possible. In the meanwhile, this will further increase Hughie's feelings of emasculation.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Fionordequester posted:

It's held up to his eye, but there's no visual indicator of whether any pressure is being applied.

I went back and watched and there absolutely is you dumbass

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Could homelander make his nipples hard enough to cut glass? What about metal? Diamonds??? S4 writers hope you're itt

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think superfights are the weakest thing in the show and it's for the better that everything is implied rather than shown off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

tokin opposition posted:

Could homelander make his nipples hard enough to cut glass? What about metal? Diamonds??? S4 writers hope you're itt

there's still time this season dont give up hope