Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I hope he doesn't, but I think Walker is gonna win. He also probably has severe CTE, so a lot of his campaign statements about whether or not he graduated college, graduated in the top of his class, how many children he has, etc. might just be things he genuinely believed and a staffer just wrote down and didn't fact check. I know from applying for jobs, it's pretty rare for people to actually look if you graduated from whatever college you claimed to graduate from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Very hard to imagine how someone who cannot make a cup of coffee could possibly have anything to offer in the field of art criticism.

Art critic is one of those jobs where I'd sort of expect and want a bit of weirdness, tbh, and that's the kind of weirdness that works for that. A strange but harmless eccentricity that doesn't seem to be harming him or his wife, but makes you go "oh yeah! the coffee guy!" when he's mentioned.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

2nd level spells posted:

At least they have eachother.

You joke but there is something wholesome about two absolute weirdos finding each other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

You joke but there is something wholesome about two absolute weirdos finding each other.

Most importantly it gives one hope.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OwlFancier posted:

Very hard to imagine how someone who cannot make a cup of coffee could possibly have anything to offer in the field of art criticism.

I'm curious if you think it goes the other way too; Can someone make a good cup of coffee without knowing anything about art?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

repiv posted:

different, old internet maddox is @maddoxrules
however, old internet maddox is also a maga chud now, surprising nobody

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I'm curious if you think it goes the other way too; Can someone make a good cup of coffee without knowing anything about art?

yes? theres literally coffee making as a hobby and its has its own Goons with Spoons mega thread, reddit, and a whole ecosysytem of nerds and stuff to buy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Yes, because if your brain cannot fathom how to make coffee, not fancy coffee but just any coffee I am not sure it can figure out how to do anything else, possibly including breathing.

Best possible proof of the chinese room hypothesis, he tweets yet there appears to be no conscious activity going on.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

however, old internet maddox is also a maga chud now, surprising nobody

is he? i skimmed his feed out of morbid interest after posting that and it wasn't nearly as bad as i was expecting

plenty of enlightened centrist both-sides-are-bad takes but he doesn't appear to have ever supported trump

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

repiv posted:

is he? i skimmed his feed out of morbid interest after posting that and it wasn't nearly as bad as i was expecting

plenty of enlightened centrist both-sides-are-bad takes but he doesn't appear to have ever supported trump
I may be wrong, let me check the receipts

yes I was wrong, thanks CSPAM:

Bust Rodd posted:

he's not a CHUD but he did have a major falling out with his best friend and podcast host because Maddox got IRL cucked by their other friend and podcast host and his co-host wouldn't stop making fun of him for it, and Maddox ended up taking him to court for calling him a cuck on another broadcast. this is all from an interview with the former-cohost from like 2 months ago
retracted!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thank Bust Rodd for checking their cucks.xlsx file.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, of all the threads to quote Bust Rodd in, this one seems the most appropriate.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1538164628882178048?s=21&t=EYpOgSwVPP1flD9UnSUAbw

In which a bunch of fascists get confused that they're being made fun of by The Boys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait they don’t allow political talk? That’s like half the show

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"No Politics" means "No Politics that I don't tacitly agree with."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, we're talking about people who didn't realize Homelander was the bad guy until the current season.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jun 20, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, we're talking about people who didn't realize Homelander wasn't a bad guy until the current season.

Gonna assume there's a typo in there somewhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Gonna assume there's a typo in there somewhere.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, we're talking about people who didn't realize Homelander was the bad guy until the current season.

Yeah that was a bad typo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I just can't even get how. Like...how do they even spin the whole plane thing?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1538164628882178048?s=21&t=EYpOgSwVPP1flD9UnSUAbw

In which a bunch of fascists get confused that they're being made fun of by The Boys.

I don't watch the show what happened to cause this new upheaval.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crain posted:

Homelander is just saying the quiet words out loud.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Season 2 does the exact same thing but said by a Nazi pretending to be a superhero literally named Stormfront

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

lol pretty sure the chud at my job watches this show. Sounds like next week is gonna be a hoot.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Homelander is blond, blue-eyed Superman who has been written since season one to be a complete bastard and invoke white male victimhood/superiority complex stuff. His last scene in season two was him masturbating while chanting "I can do whatever I want".

In season three the writers are pretty blatantly invoking Donald Trump with his character. He's gaining political ambitions and is giving populist speeches on a parody of Fox News.

Yes, it's extremely confusing that these people are only now getting mad at the show.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The fun part of the hearings is that they're letting the Republicans do most of the talking.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Crain posted:

Blue Hawk is a white superhero who has been patrolling around black neighborhoods, brutalizing and killing black people. He gives an insincere apology at a community center but gets called out. He starts off defending himself by saying he's "just going where the crime is" but winds up screaming about how statistically black people commit more crimes then average and "Supe Live Matter", then assaults a bunch of people booing him and later spins it as him defending himself from Antifa.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

From the same thread about folks missing the point in the boys.

How are people this bad at interpreting art? Verhoven is not a subtle dude.
"idk sure the officers literally wear SS uniforms, military service is the only path to citizenship and the poor get fed into the meatgrinder, but on the otherhand coed showers and sports so how can we really say Earth was bad in Starship Troopers?"
There is literally a plotpoint about Rico's parents being rich non citizens and how that would allow him to go to a nice college instead of joining the military despite his lovely grades.

Geeze, if Michael Ironside had a little moustache and talked about his struggles as a failed artist, there would still be people who weren't quite sure if the society was fascist in Starship Troopers.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
like poo poo that part where the dude says the service made him the man he is today should get it all across on its own lmao

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Light Gun Man posted:

like poo poo that part where the dude says the service made him the man he is today should get it all across on its own lmao

yeah the movie loving rules
I'd blame people not getting starship troopers on just having seen little bits on tv as a kid or something, like the way I remembered robocop as closer to robocop 3 until I saw it again as an adult, but even some film reviews around its release only engaged with Starship Troopers at that level. That's not even a surface read, it's a surface read of ad copy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does reddit do its own inhouse census or does any outside org have info on reddits demogrpahic info?

like its amazing that the same demographic of a bunch of "bros" keeps not getting media.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The funniest scene in cinema history is michael Ironside dramatically turning back and saying “they sucked his brains out”

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Boom316 posted:

I liked the movie when I first saw it in theatres back when I was 13. A few years later I read the book.
Obviously I now hate that movie. Everything Heinlein did to make that one of my top 3 favorite books was completely lost in the movie. The politics, the powered armor, the story that was more narrative and less action was all lost on Verhoven.

I never heard of all these satire rumors, but I wouldn't believe a word of them. Satire is generally more obvious and/or more cynical than that movie seemed to be. It was tounge-in-cheek, I'll say that, :siren: but I doubt Verhoven is smart enough to do a satire. (Does anyone ever notice how often a director is blamed for a writer's shortcomings? I mean, at some point the director should be the problem too, but do they really deserve all the bad credit?)

Giving it a 1 because I doubt you're allowed to love both the book and the movie at the same time, at least, not as the same entity, with the same title.
I'd give the TV Cartoon Series a 2.5, because at least they included Skinnies, individual tube drops, and at least a semblance of powered armor. Also, one of the last episodes of the series had kind of an homage to my other favorite Heinlein book, The Puppet Masters, so it can't be all bad.

Emphasis mine.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
My mom always said violence never solved anything

Really??

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Breetai posted:

Emphasis mine.

Lol I was like "this has to be from waaaaay early in the forums" and sure enough

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Emphasis mine.

This whole thread is a goldmine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1538669726003564547?t=jktAu-cXnUEabSBd4h6XXw&s=19

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Heath posted:

Lol I was like "this has to be from waaaaay early in the forums" and sure enough
There was a discussion of the movie Idiocracy earlier this year (I forget which thread but probably somewhere in PYF) in which one person's take was basically that there's no political subtext, it's just a funny movie about what if everyone was dumb and everyone else was reading too much into it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hooman posted:

This whole thread is a goldmine.

I seriously read that wondering "is this a gag thread with intentionally bad readings of the movie?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will keep tweeting this joke every year until the Left explains what the chicken was doing on the other side of the road to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

PhazonLink posted:

does reddit do its own inhouse census or does any outside org have info on reddits demogrpahic info?

like its amazing that the same demographic of a bunch of "bros" keeps not getting media.

When large portions of media are built specifically to appeal to you and your sense of superiority, the need for actual media literacy falls heavily. Also I would assume anyone who thought Homelander was a good guy until now would also not see anything wrong with him acting like Trump, who they probably voted for. Also it probably makes more sense if the most 'political' thing they ever watched was Game of Thrones, at which point The Boys becomes 'the struggles of Butcher and Homelander to get away from all these systems keeping them down from having a knock down drag out fight that ends it all' and no one is a hero or good person.

The problem with racist dogwhistles and subtext code is that when you show them something that disagrees with them but also has nuance, they discard most of the message in favour of latching onto the small nuances like 'butcher is also not a good person' to recontextualize everything to fit thier own narrative.