Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

it's more like, I don't care which format something is published in because it has zero impact on my ability to read and enjoy it, which is why I find so much of the griping about webtoon format very performative. But also yes, the format is optimized for people who read on their phones so that is naturally where it will perform the best. I read webtoons primarily on my phone as god intended but read comics with standard pagination on other devices with bigger screens because it actually is fairly difficult to read them on a phone screen. So in that sense webtoon format is more accessible since I'm much more likely to have my phone handy when I've got a little down-time through the day than I am to be sitting at a computer or have my tablet with me.

I find the bolded part really surprising, because you are basically saying that, in the limit, you would find (say) a book published in one-sentence-per-page format (or one word, or, god forbid, one letter per page) just as enjoyable as a normal book, which strikes me as unlikely. Or if you're just talking about comics here, that you would find "20 pages of 6 panels/page", "120 mostly empty pages with one panel each", and "120 pages with six panels per page but five blank pages between each page with actual content" to all be equally readable. If that's really the case, awesome for you, but I suspect that's not how most people work, and it's certainly not how I do.

And if you would in fact find some of those more difficult or unpleasant to read than others, we are, I think, in broad conceptual agreement that "some formats are more reader-friendly than others", we just disagree on where specifically to draw the line and/or which population of readers to optimize for.

In my case there is nothing "performative" about this, I am genuinely grumpy that so much effort is going into pushing a format that I consistently find more difficult to read across the board and rarely brings any benefit in exchange, made worse by Webtoons specifically increasingly going in on "if you want to read this at all you have to read it on your phone, the worst possible device for reading comics on".

quote:

The white space isn't just there to annoy you also, it creates pacing and transitions between scenes and panels.

When it's done well, yeah, but in a lot of comics it absolutely is not, and there's just a consistent "scroll down 1-2 pages to get to the next panel" spacing.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I just find it easier to tap for next page than scroll for next panel. It's not a dealbreaker or something that outrages me or anything, but I do have that preference on both phone and PC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first time I opened a webtoons I read about two panels and just closed the app because I'm not doing that much scrolling lol.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ToxicFrog posted:

I find the bolded part really surprising, because you are basically saying that, in the limit, you would find (say) a book published in one-sentence-per-page format (or one word, or, god forbid, one letter per page) just as enjoyable as a normal book, which strikes me as unlikely. Or if you're just talking about comics here, that you would find "20 pages of 6 panels/page", "120 mostly empty pages with one panel each", and "120 pages with six panels per page but five blank pages between each page with actual content" to all be equally readable. If that's really the case, awesome for you, but I suspect that's not how most people work, and it's certainly not how I do.

Feel free to keep making poo poo up that doesn't have anything to do with what I said I guess, I've got webtoons to catch up on.

I'm eventually going to get around to reading A Fake Affair which is complete & free to read (with the daily unlock passes)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 10, 2022

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ToxicFrog posted:

² although even with these I am generally reading on a computer monitor or tablet, not a phone, and would be better served by a format that doesn't assume that the standard size for a panel is "the entire screen wide". Perhaps this is how people who prefer reading on their phones feel when they're reading traditional paginated comics and are constantly zooming in and manually scrolling around? Are there people who prefer reading on their phones or this just something people begrudgingly do because webtoons pushes people to the mobile app so hard?

I mean, I know that you and I are Olds and do not really use smartphones much unless we have to, but yeah, a lot of people nowadays are just going to pull out their phone to read stuff on a bus/train commute or while waiting around somewhere and aren't going to want to lug a laptop around just to use the internet

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll note that those days more people have smartphones than laptops or desktops, particularly in some countries. A smartphone that can read webtoons is often more accessible.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 11, 2022

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I just looked up the numbers and smartphones are more common in America than computers and that's saying nothing about other countries

In conclusion, webtoons are just going where the larger market is

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im struggling to imagine the kind of person that actually likes swiping their phone for hours but then again everyone i know who uses their phone that much really isn't paying attention to anything on it so maybe the whitespace is just the webtoons version of having really wide margins in cheap paperbacks. nobody's reading it anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I haven't really read many webtoons aside from Peerless Dad and that himbo bodyswap one. What service has the best selection of webtoons to get a taste of the medium?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Larry Parrish posted:

im struggling to imagine the kind of person that actually likes swiping their phone for hours but then again everyone i know who uses their phone that much really isn't paying attention to anything on it so maybe the whitespace is just the webtoons version of having really wide margins in cheap paperbacks. nobody's reading it anyway.

I don't think most people read comics for hours at a time.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Imagining all people in this conversation using the awful app makes this conversation 1000% more bearable

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chas McGill posted:

I haven't really read many webtoons aside from Peerless Dad and that himbo bodyswap one. What service has the best selection of webtoons to get a taste of the medium?

I think Tapas is probably my favorite, they have a really wide selection of action, romance, BL, etc. and they generally do a good job with the localizations. They have the official English release of Peerless Dad btw, it's on there as Father, Unrivaled. They have a lot of "wait until free" titles where you can get a free chapter after a certain amount of wait time (this is not an uncommon mechanism so if you're patient you can read quite a bit without spending any money.) Manta is also a great option because it's an inexpensive monthly subscription.

oh wait I made a big "where to read webtoons" post in the isekai thread I'll just grab that:

I read a lot of webtoons but mostly BL ones, so my platforms of preference tend to be the ones that have a lot of those.

Tapas has a lot of variety and they pick up new isekai comics very regularly, and have consistently solid localizations. As already mentioned they also provide means to get free currency if you don't want to drop real cash, and they also periodically have flash sales so you can stock up then which is what I try to do whenever possible, or you can stick to the "wait til free" comics and pay nothing. Tapas will retranslate comics also, which is great when a title has been on other platforms but with a poorly-done translation. Also if you read mature comics they have the least censoring, if that is important to you (mature titles are website-only so you won't accidentally run into them if you're on the app).

Tappytoon also has a lot of isekai comics, they also do a lot of female-lead ones and have a pretty large selection of general romance titles as well. Their translations are more of a mixed bag -- I think the in-house ones are usually fine but they also host comics that were done by other publishers and don't update or fix anything so you can run across some pretty bad ones. Their freebie options are imo also not as generous but I think they also have quite a few free-to-read comics.

Lezhin is the other big one that comes to mind. Reading there is a little more expensive but overall I think the comic quality tends to also reflect the higher expense. They have probably a wider mature section than other platforms but most isekai comics aren't going to fall into that section; their library leans heavily toward romance and smut so there may not be anything in their library that's thread-relevant. I'm reading one isekai webtoon there but it's also a smut BL one lol. They do give daily free coins and have a free to read section as well.

If you want to stick to the subscription model Manta is imo a fantastic value. It's only $4 or $5 a month and they have a pretty good selection. There's a lot of completed comics you can binge through so if you wanted to sub for a little while, read some stuff, then turn it off til there was something you wanted to read again that would be a way to minimize how much you were spending. I think they have chapters you can read without subscribing as well but as far as I know haven't done sales or bonus freebies since they don't have a site currency.

Webtoon is kind of the original and probably what more people are familiar with, and also are probably the cheapest to read on since they release a lot of stuff for free (often on a delay so you might have to wait). I'm not reading a whole lot of stuff on there anymore since they don't carry much BL but they have Omniscient Reader which is fantastic and probably have a wider selection of purely action comics than most other ones that are catering more to the romance-reading crowd.

I read at a bunch of other places as well but to a smaller extent, but if there's a platform you're curious about it's very likely I've used it at least once so feel free to ask lol. In the meantime here are a couple of lists of legal manga sites that include pretty much all the English webtoon platforms between them; they haven't been updated *super* recently but should still be pretty accurate:
https://ouendan.blue/where-read-bl-manga-and-support-artists/ (BL-focused but none of the webtoon publishers are exclusively BL)
https://yattatachi.com/legal-online-manga-sites

Oh yeah, one other thing -- I think most of these sites are easier to navigate and read on via their apps, and they'll sometimes have app-exclusive bonuses or sales so it's probably worth getting those if you're going to use any of them regularly.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks. I signed up to Tapas and subscribed to "Father Unrivalled" (Peerless Dad was a way better title).

There are so many comics on Tapas, it's overwhelming. Can you recommend a couple other series to check out that are similarly high quality - any genre, although it'd be nice to read an offbeat romance that isn't about dating a CEO/prince or whatever.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of my all-time favorites is Swing Baby -- it's a workplace BL that has a very slice of life pace and soft, dreamy artwork, and I love how the narrative slowly unfolds as the characters get closer.

On the romance side the ones I'm following are mainly fantasy ones: Secret Lady, Saving My Sweetheart, and Solitary Lady. I have read a large chunk of What's Wrong With Secretary Kim and liked it pretty well, and The Lady and Her Butler is on there and is another solid choice. Also I recently started Thirsty Thirty and it's pretty good.

I haven't read it yet but have heard a lot of good things about Navillera: Like a Butterfly, and Pan Focus is another one that I would recommend based on what some folks that I trust to have good opinions have said about it.

For action, The Uncanny Counter is really fun and exciting and a little different from the tons of isekai/fantasy adventure comics on there.

e: one way I find stuff to read is to pay attention to what is getting free ink offers (that may be an app-only feature btw) and reading the free chapters to get the ink since usually the offer is like, "read 3 chapters of X for [ink amount]" and there will be 3 free chapters on it. That's actually how I ended up reading those fantasy romance ones; I was just going for the free ink but actually liked what I read and kept going (which is the intent of course but there are a lot I just scroll to the end and collect my reward on).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 12, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the ink model, but I'll try it out for a while.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty much all the webtoon platforms use some sort of site currency -- digital manga publishers who release by the chapter do the same thing I've noticed -- the model is basically everywhere other than the few subscription-based sites I'm aware of. Most of them do at least give you ways to read for free.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't remember what manga I was reading. It was something romance-themed I think the man and woman were either newlyweds or dating. If it was the former the premise is that the wife's a source of comedy because she gets weird ideas about things like aprons are sexy? Something along those lines. I only got like 2 chapters in before my computer decided to update and wipe away all of my tabs again while I was at work.

I'm also pretty sure it was two side by side columns of four panels for the structure of it. People at his job were glad that the guy had changed, his expressions were completely unreadable before he got married/started dating. Please help me find this thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if this is it, but it sounds vaguely similar to what you describe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

I don't know if this is it, but it sounds vaguely similar to what you describe.

Kinda like that, it was a bit more tame compared to it though, the one you linked is like a slightly less horny Okusan and the one I was reading was even less horny than that.

I had like 11 mangadex tabs open at the time, I'm worried it might not have even been a romance tagged manga to begin with and that's why I can't find it now.

Found it, it was Itoshi no Sakura-san

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 16, 2022

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Romcom dropped, called You and I are Polar Opposites. Two chapters even.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013690

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013688

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Even though the art is more on the amateurish side, I like the basic set up. It just depends where the story goes from here as to whether it'll be worth keeping up with or not. And yeah, the biggest weakness for me is that Tani-kun's Character design is so bland.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Julias posted:

Even though the art is more on the amateurish side, I like the basic set up. It just depends where the story goes from here as to whether it'll be worth keeping up with or not. And yeah, the biggest weakness for me is that Tani-kun's Character design is so bland.

I think the art style goes really well with the tone, actually. It's a great fit for all the goofy reactions.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think the art style goes really well with the tone, actually. It's a great fit for all the goofy reactions.
It's like deceptively simple linework that's wonderfully expressive, that's this series' greatest asset so far

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

We have to keep reading for the answer to the true mystery.

Who is Gapacho?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Julias posted:

Hey this is good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I liked it. It's nice.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Very powerful technique...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Julias posted:

This is cool. The art is just right imo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I saw Readymade Heroine for the first time today and so far it's a good fairly fluffy josei romcom. A dispirited clothing designer is given a big task for a partner company's competition and she has to work with a stuffy guy from sales who she initially dislikes, but they grow closer when she by chance finds out that he likes to cross dress and particularly happened to like the clothes she had designed and as they continue to work together. The cross dressing hasn't really come up that much, but it's played very matter-of-factly and non-judgmentally, and not as a fetish kind of thing. I look forward to more of it.

On the more shounen side of things there's Mikadono Sanshimai wa Angai, Choroi which is another entry in the "boy by circumstance ends up living with multiple girls" genre, but the three sisters are entertaining so far and the series has thus far been more about mending the sisters' relationship with each other and allowing them lives outside of being top achievers in their respective fields of acting, karate, and shogi because their dad is a piece of poo poo pushing them to discard everything for the sake of that fame and position. The boy himself is the son of a prodigious actress and regrets that they had become distant before she died and is very driven to have a new family, but he's completely average at best and inherited only his face from his mother. The art is good and plays with style for comedy a lot and the scans have been showing up daily while they catch up to where it currently is, which at this rate is going to be in about a week since it is still pretty new.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
started reading Daeimon because it finally has more than like 3 chapters scanlated and it pwns lol. but something about reading a manga where the characters have drawls makes me laugh. like you take a train two hours out of Tokyo and you're in Asian Alabama and there's a bunch of dudes in trucker caps trying to fix a lifted Datsun in the parking lot of a McDonalds. supposedly Japanese really does have dialects that strong, which makes sense but it's funny since English ones are so insanely geographically spread that i can't really wrap my head around what 'normal' accent drifts are supposed to be like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kazuki stocks rising in Mikadono.

You love to see it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting was really sweet. Although its kind of funny because the kids actual dad seems to spend his entire day brooding in a meeting room dressing like Oda Nobunaga or something, which kind of fucks with the premise a little. It's also basically the same joke as way of the house husband. But with parenting, which made me like it more.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
^^Yeah I really like that one, looking forward to the anime adaption :3:

Vol. 11 of A Side Character's Love Story is out (that's an amazon link but you can get it other places). Also the whole series is on Kindle Unlimited if you happen to have that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

^^Yeah I really like that one, looking forward to the anime adaption :3:

Vol. 11 of A Side Character's Love Story is out (that's an amazon link but you can get it other places). Also the whole series is on Kindle Unlimited if you happen to have that.

i read it already op. actually there's a publisher or two that has most of their series on KU. it's my favorite business model for manga so far besides azuki.co. just let me pay a small fee to read all of it and gently caress off. i guess manga plus does this same thing but I don't like most of their selection. when they're on KU it's a nice efficiency because I already use it enough to be worth it as it is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might check out Manga Planet then; I'm not sure about their selection but they do the subscription model as well. I have a sub to the BL side (Futekiya) but it doesn't carry over to Manga Planet so I never bother to look at the other stuff.

e: out of curiosity I filtered it down to see what josei stuff they had and it's like half cat manga lol https://read.mangaplanet.com/browse?hp=4

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 25, 2022

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

Julias posted:

Thanks for the rec, this was great! This couple is very cute, I love the way their reactions are drawn, and I hope the mystery of Gapacho is never revealed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
One of my favorite hetero manga. :allears:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ch 3 and 4 of You and I are Polar Opposites are out. Definitely warming up to the art and vibe of the class dynamic.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013700

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

One of my favorite hetero manga. :allears:

Shikimori IS indeed very cute and Izumi is goodest boyfriend.